Dekka

Animals Nobody Has Heard Of

What are some animals that you've heard of, but no one else has?

Just to start you off...

→ Hairy Frogfish

→ Rosy Lipped Batfish

→ Glass Frog

→ Thorny Devil Lizard

→ Angora Rabbit

→ Sea Pig

→ Gharial

→ Solenodon

→ Red-Crested Tree Rat

Go for it!

Glass frogs are super cute!

how about an Axolotl? I keep one as a pet.

user posted image

This is Zion.

Most people know about Luna moths, but how about Spanish moon moths?

user posted image

Neither are blobfish after they were voted most ugly animal in some poll a few years back. Honestly though, it's mostly because they're sagging from the lack of atmospheric pressure - they live way down at the bottom of the ocean. If we went down there, we'd explode. And that's not very pretty either.

What about pudu, the world's smallest deer? IT'S SO CUTE. GOSH.

I suppose how unknown a species is is subjective. I knew of almost every animal listed here but I have met people who don't know what a leopard is.

Still, I have a fascination in abyssal life and here's one critter (thousands of critters?) that I love and I feel is overlooked rather a bit.

Giant siphonophore, praya dubia.

This thing basically looks like a bioluminescent abyssal thread and is one of the largest invertebrates, growing up to fifty metres in length. Or it would be one of the largest if it wasn't made up of many individuals, each with a different function. Scientists don't even know if to classify it as a single organism or a superorganism because of how it's structured.

Edit: aqub, if you think the water bear is the scariest thing alive then you probably haven't seen some abyssal fish out there. Hatchetfish anyone? Hairy angler? Those are scary if you aren't used to them :P

Edited by rampaging wyvern

Well, I never met anyone who knew what a Blobfish is...

Then again, there are people who don't know that narwhales exist.

What about the Tawny Eagle?

Giant siphonophore, praya dubia

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA N O

I hate siphonophores ;^; and this one is creepier than the rest because it looks like a glowing snake skeleton with a jellyfish bell for a head and just

nope

nope nope nope nope

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

The Pangolin! It happens to be one of my favorite animals yet I was marked down in school once because the teacher thought I was making animals up XDD

Sorry teacher!

Dial up makes it hard to link a picture but I encourage people to look it up. It's a scaled mammal that looks a lot like a tiny dragonized anteater, what's not to love?

EDIT: Also, the spanish moon moth makes me make grabby hands at it, and... I did not know about siphonophores either. I was proud to know about everything else mentioned though *puffs up*

Edited by Concept

Okapi. It looks like a antelope with zebra legs stuck on in.

Cutest things ever. The college I'm trying to go to has a vet program with White Oak Conservation. They do some work with okapis.. maybe I'll get a chance to befriend a few. <3

Knew everything on here except the solenodon (cuties!!!), red-crested tree bat, that specific hagfish, and that specific siphonophore.

Here's a nyala bull, same genus as the bongo. The does are more like the bongos in coloration.

South American coati, also known as coatimundi.

Palmate blanket octopus. Becoming a little memetic for the way they kill Portuguese man'o'wars and use their stings as weapons.

Here, have some beautiful things:

user posted image

Devil Hole pupfish, an endangered, long-surviving fish species that is now only found in Death Valley. A desert, yeah.

user posted image

White-headed vulture, a rare vulture of the African continent who would win a beauty pageant any day of the week. Look at this gorgeous face.

user posted image

The Guam Rail, extinct in the wild and trying desperately to cling to existence, shows us how fragile island habitats are and why it's critical to preserve them.

user posted image

A super-rare wolf spider, this awesome guy only lives in a few caves on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. He's blind, harmless, and very shy around photography.

Next up on 'Nine posts', animals even wikipedia can't find pictures for.

The giraffe weevil, perhaps one of the freakiest looking insects ever.

user posted image

Edited by Aprilis

Here, have some beautiful things:

Nine I think you won the thread. I didn't know any of those guys. That vulture is indeed jaw-dropping (the eyelashes! the feather boa! xd.png), and the other animals are just great. Gonna follow your lead and give Wikipedia articles with the critters.

Scimitar oryx/scimitar-horned oryx. Extinct in the wilds of Africa, bred on some reserves.

Honduran white bat. It makes tents from leaves! C'mon, squee with me.

There's a mammal bias, so here's a gross/cool Bobbit worm! They get a meter or more long and bury themselves in seabeds, lunging out at passerby. Good thing we're not oceanic.

Hoatzin. Stinky rainforest birds whose babies have dinosaur thumbs.

user posted image

I can't help but laugh at that bug. It looks too comical laugh.gif

How about the Pacu fish?

They're cousins to the piranha, but eat fruits and nuts.

Edited by Tazzay

user posted image

I love these guys xd.png

Continuing the weevil trend, here's the zyzzyva.

user posted image

It's apparently an American tropical species, no longer than an (unspecified) ant.

eat fruits and nuts.

Not sure if that was a extremely clever, yet gruesome pun....(google Pacu attacks)

anyway, Not sure if people have heard of Lamprey, Fairy armadilloes, or Yeti crabs.

Well then this is a giant whale. That ate baleen whales. With teeth. It's called leviathan for a reason.

user posted image