Kestra15

Rapture

((Is no one giving Jaune a lift to Stanleytone? Because James drove off without him.))

The village of Stanleytone was even less than James had been expecting. When Mak had said just cluster of houses with a shop and a pub James didn't think he actually meant it. There had to be less than thirty buildings in this place.

It didn't take long to find the pub. James guessed it was as good a meeting point as any, especially given that it had those large red and white umbrellas outside. Someone had been expecting the sun, or maybe they'd just vanished before they could take them down.

He parked his bike up outside, away from the road and wandered into the bar. No one was about, he hadn't really expected there to be at this point, but the TV had been left on. It was only showing the technical difficulties card though. That didn't surprise him either.

James grabbed himself a cool bottle of J2O from the fridge and popped it open before exploring the rest of the pub. Upstairs were the living areas of whoever had managed the place. It was rather odd, finding the bedroom. The bed looked like it had been slept in, but the dressing gowns and slippers were still hanging up or left on the floor. Whoever had lived here had gone in their sleep.

Further exploration, aided by a little lock picking, uncovered a shotgun in a safe hidden in the airing cupboard. There was also half a box of cartridges and a strap for the gun. It wouldn't be as easy to hide as his other weapon, but James doubted it would be necessary. He just had to keep it away from Jaune.

Clipping the strap into place onto the shotgun and sliging it over his shoulder, James put the cartridges in his backpack and went back down to the bar to wait for the others.

((I can't help what Kestra posts. I know that I posted that James drove off alone. That's why I asked what Jaune was doing.

Looks like Jaune is walking xd.png))

((I was going to suggest that Wisperlee had him, but for humor's sake how about he piled into the ambulance with the girls and dog?))

((Just returned from vacation and will write an ic post tomorrow, but quick note:

No, Jaune cannot ride with Wisperlee. The reason she took a motorcycle is because she wanted to get away from both Jaune and Erin, so neither of them can ride with her. Sorry.))

((Assume he's travelling with the rest in the ambu-taxi; sorry for the confusion from my post, I had it in my head he was with James.))

((That's fine I guess, but for now could Jaune be sleeping? I can't really think of anything for him at the moment. Just picture him lying down, taking up as much space as possible, while having a constant blissful smile plastered on his sleepy face.))

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

((Yeah, I could see that.))

Erin looked disdainfully down at Juane's sleeping self, having already curled up in her seat to avoid touching his bed-hogging self. At least he wasn't snoring or talking in his sleep.

"Guess it's better than the alternative" she shrugged, swinging her head toward the back windows to watch the scenery roll by.

((Question: Are we in the new town already?! I'm seriously confused))

It had been a while since Wisperlee had ridden a motorcycle, but with no traffic abound and some time to pick up her skills again, she quickly got the hang of it. Or, at least, she didn't think she'd crash into a tree in the nearby future. She was pleased to see that the biker's helmet came with built-in blue tooth, which she quickly connected to the bike's GPS.

After they failed to find Petra's children, Wisperlee considered what to do. Stanleytone was only a short drive away and she felt the need for a little privacy. She had calmed down from her initial agitation over Jaune and Erin, but with Petra's loss to clear, her own came crashing in. She needed some time for herself.

"My condolences," she said to the new woman.

"I'll meet up in Stanleytone," she offered to Mak, then drove off.

Some ten minutes later, she stopped at a local gas station. Like everything else, it was abandoned. Wisperlee sighed and, with heavy heart, got off to do the practical thing: fill up the bike and raid the station for food. She even remembered to pack aspirins and tampons. Lastly, she plugged in all her equipment and patiently waited for the batteries to charge fully. She checked the new facebook and twitter accounts she had set up to reach people, but found them unanswered.

Well, that fulfilled her immediate needs and duties for the day. Still waiting for her laptop to charge fully (she expected it to take another ten minutes), she buried her head in her hands. She felt like crying, but didn't as she sat on the road by the bike.

May 1st, 1300hrs

The village of Stanleytone was little more than a collection of houses at a crossroads, barely more than a hamlet and only just worthy of an independent postcode. It also appeared to be utterly abandoned as Mak drove the ambu-taxi down one of only two possible streets, the aptly-named 'Hawkingsthorne Road.' Where it crossed with 'Station Road' one could find the small village shop (complete with Post Office) and the bar outside which James' motorbike was parked. Without ceremony Mak simply bumped the ambu-taxi up onto the kerb and stopped, having somehow managed not to crash the vehicle on their drive. Then again with the roads utterly abandoned with not a single car or lorry to block them it had been a rather simple, dull drive.

"Okay guys," he said as he killed the engine, looking back at the group. "Let's grab something to eat and consider our options."

Erin flipped Mak an undisciplined salute at his words. "Can do, boss man." She stood up and kicked Juane sharply in the knee, but there was no malice behind it. "Wake up, ya walking migraine" she said loudly, "We're here." She shouldered her suitcase and opened the doors, gesturing for Ari and Emily to get out. "Ladies?"

Micah had woken up at just past nine that morning, which wasn't really that late considering how exhausted he'd been from the plane ride yesterday but was nevertheless much later than he was used to. He was somewhat surprised at first when he realized that neither of his two roommates were in the room with him. Although he and his traveling companions had not said as much out loud last night, as they'd been too tired to think of making plans, he had thought that the six of them would all eat breakfast together the next morning. After all, they were traveling as a group.

At first Micah thought he might be jumping to conclusions and perhaps his roommates were just waiting with the girls in their room. The three young men had only come on this trip in order to keep a watchful eye on the young ladies, after all. The world was a dangerous place filled with people who did not have Jesus in their hearts and it was their duty as young Christian men to look after those who needed protecting. However, after going out in the hall and knocking on the door of the room his sister and her friends had been given several times, he got no response. Would they really have left without him? His sister might be close to the other young ladies, but the fact was that Micah did not know the other two men he was traveling with well at all. Their families might be friends, but somehow at gatherings the other children always seemed to end up playing with his brothers and sisters and not him -- maybe it was because he always seemed to end up having to do chores around the house. In any case, although Micah did not want to believe his traveling companions would leave without him, he could not rule out that possibility. He went back to his own room and showered and changed as quickly as possible, intending to catch up with the others as quickly as he could.

However, Micah quickly forgot about those plans when he went downstairs to the pub on the first floor. It was completely deserted. True, it was a little late for breakfast, but there should have been at least a few customers finishing up and one or two staff to put out food and work the registers. But there was absolutely no one there. The lights weren't even turned on, and it didn't seem like any food had been made that morning, either. Micah could do nothing but stare at the scene in horror, realization slowly dawning on him.

It was the Rapture.

The Rapture had happened. God had taken his followers up to heaven and everyone else had been left behind to endure the seven years of wrath he would pour on those who had rejected him. Micah's family had never believed in the Rapture, instead embracing the ideals of dominion, but it was beginning to look like they had been wrong. But if that was the case, where were his sister and the others? Their beliefs were very similar to his. If he had been left behind, they should be left behind too. Desperately wanting at least the people he knew to still be on Earth, Micah ran outside the hotel in a panic, searching around frantically for a familiar face. Or any face, really, but particularly a familiar one. He ran up and down the entire street, but he didn't see a single person. Had he really been left all by himself? Had God really taken his family and not him? Was he really not good enough? In his younger years, Micah had often worried that he wasn't a good enough Christian, that when he finally came face to face to God his beliefs would be found wanting, but as he approached adulthood he'd managed to shove those beliefs in the back of his mind, and they hardly bothered him anymore. But they'd never left, and in the wake of all this, they resurfaced in full force. He hadn't believed enough. He wasn't a good enough Christian, and God didn't want him.

Finally, Micah gave up on finding anyone. Exhausted and extremely discouraged, he went back to the pub-come-hotel his group had been staying in - it wasn't home by a long shot, but it was the closest thing he had to one at the moment, and at least it was somewhere familiar - turned the lights on on the first floor, and, needing to rest and gather his thoughts, sat down at one of the tables in the pub and buried his face in his hands. What was he going to do now? More than anything he wanted to go home. Even if his family wasn't there anymore - and Micah had no doubt they wouldn't be - at least being in the place where he'd grown up would be a source of comfort to him while he waited for God to rain judgement down on him. But there was no way he could get there. It was an entire ocean away, and Micah didn't think he would be able to successfully fly a plane or pilot a boat there. As confused as he was, he didn't even know which way he should go to get to the ocean. And would it really be all that much better for him to be at home when the Tribulation started in full force? He'd have to see everything he knew and loved get destroyed. Maybe it would be better if he just stayed here. The truth was, Micah had no idea what to do next, and so he just remained seated at the table, head buried in his arms, no longer really aware of the passing of time.

With a full tank of gas, Wisperlee climbed back onto her bike. She had looted (for lack of a better word) the gas station and found a pair of saddlebags for the motorcycle. It had taken her some fiddling to attach them to the bike, but they were now secure and filled with food, water, dog food and a jerry can of petrol.

Driving back onto to road, she headed for Stanleytone. It was .... small. And abandoned. Wisperlee took a deep breath when she saw James' bike and the ambulance parked outside a small bar. Alright, here we go she told herself. It was the end of the world and it wasn't Jaune's fault that he was crazy, nor Erin's fault that she was overbearing. These were all the people left and they had to get along.

She carefully parked the bike and headed inside the bar.

"Hi everyone," she greeted the group. She sat down near Emily and Nougat, bending over to scratch the Labrador behind her left air. "I have dog food," she told Emily while she handed her a pack of dog treats.

Jaune groaned in annoyance and pulled his hood down further.

"We should just feed the witch to the dog, I'm amazed he isn't barking. Dogs can detected evil, but who knows what evil magic she has used to corrupt his mind.

Jaune rolled over and to his stomach so that his face couldn't be seen.

"Also, I have eaten... I'll guard the van.... you can count on me, they won't get near," Jaune said, the sound muffled through his squashed mouth. One of the large knives he had collected had appeared in his hand.

"If anyone wakes me I'll stab them and let the rainbow's flood out... rainbows are magical," He said drearily.

"If you wish to wake me present me with the three sacred items," He began his face still flat against the floor. He held up his hand raising fingers as he listed them off.

"A steel pot with kindling included, a cup and a teabag" He said, his arm then dropped back to his side, although a second knife had appeared in it. He heaved a large sigh.

"And if the witch kicks me again she won't have a kneecap to do so... unfortunately for her we aren't in the hospital any more," He finished.

((Nevermind, I'll just carry on. rolleyes.gif))

James had nearly finished his J2O when someone he hadn't seen before entered the bar. The guy didn't appear to have noticed him and simply sat down at a table and hid his face in his hands. He had a resigned air to him, as though he was waiting for something to happen, something he wasn't too keen on.

James waited a few moments to see if the guy was going to do anything else, but he just sat there, oblivious to the world.

"You okay?" he asked putting him bottle down on the table to his right hand side.

Mere seconds later he heard an engine and a vehicle draw up. It was the ambulance taxi thing. the others had arrived.

"Nougat's a girl, dumbass" Erin reminded him and raised her eyebrow, "And I'll assume it's the barely-awake talking, but you've really gotta review your anatomy if you think humans are full of rainbows." She hopped out of the ambulance and made for the pub door, drawing her knife and easing the door open slowly in case it was creaky. "Hello?" she called, straightening when she noticed James.

James and some new guy.

She turned a slightly exhausted look on the biker. "Did you pick up another crazy on the way here?" she asked him, raising her hand placatingly at the stranger. "Not to alarm you, man," she tried to be comforting, "but our little motley crew has a tag-along who's a little screwy in the head. He's mostly harmless, though." She turned back toward the door expectantly. "Even if he does talk too much" she added under her breath.

Jaune gurgled slightly at the sound of Erin's voice.

"That explains it, she must be a witch dog! Intent on taking out all those who are truly good at heart," He mumbled. Then he pulled out two of his spray cans a tennis ball. He shook them slightly and released a colourful spray of red and green onto the ball. He then hurled it over his shoulder, briefly glancing back to make sure it would hit its mark. The ball bounced once then connected with Erin's legs and splattered paint onto her legs.

"Look's rainbow to me," He mumbled, still with his face down. He then quickly swapped the cans back for the knives he had earlier and began to snore.

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

"I'm not a nut magnet you know" protested James. "Guy just walked in and blanked me."

He didn't think Erin was going to pay much attention though. Jaune had just chosen that moment to spray her legs. It looked like the two of them were going to kick off again.

((Eh, Erin's inside the pub at this point, so unless Juane scraped himself off the floor, he probably couldn't tag her.))