TJ09

2014-04-15 - A Notice Regarding Staff

Rally:

It really comes down to this: If a staff member says or does something offensive or whatever, then report it to tj. If it happens offsite, dont make a public post about it here, but if the need is still there for you to point it out, PLEASE feel free to report it to him, or any mod you are actually comfortable talking to. It helps to have a heads up on things, before they get a chance to blow up /here/ (forum or chat).

Well, but that is what it's like on any forum. I don't see why a special post needed to be made. Or else said: if TJ felt a PM to the reporters would not suffice - I don't see what extra information this post is supposed to bring over.

He's declaring that reports will be looked into, even if whatever is going on, wont necessarily be made "public", or what happens after.

That still leaves the reporter in the dark whether the reported behavior was against the TOS or forum rules. That is a bit like "Now now, child - let the adults handle it from now on." It may not intentional, but there should at least be some feedback if the report was correct or not.

Actually there is a precedence for this, when some years before someone on staff spoke about DC things offsite. They were held accountable to it on here. So why shouldn't it apply also in this situation? The line was drawn then.

The very first rule in DC is to respect others.

Respecting others also means that we have to respect their privacy.

As Thuban said, staff can only look into things being brought to their attention, but ultimatively, it's the person's free opinion.

TJ can't forbid you to have your own opinion.

If he handles matters internally, then he'll do so, without people needing to spread drama, light up the fires, and demand the culprit to be burned on a stake.

Just to make it clear.

People have the right to have their own opinion.

IF their workplace (in this case, DragCave and TJ) have a problem with that, they'll deal with it appropriately.

But they still CANNOT forbid others to post their opinions on NON DC related sites. Just handle it DC-wise and wide if it becomes a matter of public interest (or in this case, drama).

What I want to say, and that has been taken out of context again and again and again:

If you see a person saying something hurtfull and inacceptable, do report them to the sites they post it on. If they post it on here, report it to the mods here, if they post it somewhere else, post it somewhere else.

If you find a 'person of interest to the community / staff' post something like that somewhere, and expect that things should happen, PM TJ directly, link him to the post, and ask what he can/will do about it, DC wise.

This whole discussion is making me a bit itchy...

i don't know what happened, but all these half hidden hints about "how horrible" the statement was, that some mysterious stuff member/artist has made about a mysterious group of DC players....arrgh

As a not american player i'm now wondering: was it something against european/asian people?

You know: sometimes something that is NOT said is far more destructive for ones peace of mind, because imagination runs wild, instead of beeing told the truth in a short painless way. It is in NO way necessary to out the said Stuff member by name, as long as it's been made clear that the opinion of that member isn't the opinion of the site.

As for forcing someone to apologize....where's the meaning in that? if it isn't done of free will, it's not an apologize at all.

Please forgive any mistakes, i'm NOT a native english speaker.

Respecting others also means that we have to respect their privacy.

As Thuban said, staff can only look into things being brought to their attention, but ultimatively, it's the person's free opinion.

TJ can't forbid you to have your own opinion.

I never said anything about not respecting privacy. Ultimately all I said was that something had to be done.

And yes, people can have opinions. But that doesn't mean others aren't free to disagree with them or be justifiably angered when such opinions are harmful and belittle them as people.

Edited by Sinsdaemn

Out of curiosity, is that a good wow, as in you're surprised about and happy with how the situation was handled, a bad wow, as in you're sarcastically expressing distaste for the handling of the situation, or this type of wow? Please do elaborate. I'd like to know which you meant, or if you meant another type entirely. The Internet can make it quite easy to inadvertently misinterpret text.

A bad wow in what happened. Not saying any more about that, however. But I do thank TJ for handling the situation promptly.

Is it OK to beg for this thread to be closed, and redacted to leave only the initial post ?

Yes please. I'm getting super uncomfortable with some of the tension and the almost-explanations of what happened. I'm trying to stay away from the thread, but just knowing it's still open makes me nervous and uncomfortable. It seems like there's after-drama trying to happen.

I REALLY don't care what happened and would rather not know. What's done is done, there's no way to change it, so I'd rather the situation melt away out of existence rather than be thought of and talked about.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Yes please. I'm getting super uncomfortable with some of the tension and the almost-explanations of what happened. I'm trying to stay away from the thread, but just knowing it's still open makes me nervous and uncomfortable. It seems like there's after-drama trying to happen.

I REALLY don't care what happened and would rather not know. What's done is done, there's no way to change it, so I'd rather the situation melt away out of existence rather than be thought of and talked about.

Agreed! I am getting very uncomfortable with the direction that this thread has taken.

Rally, this is my own opinion here, but I think the point of doing a post like this, was to clarify the stance he has on how things (of that magnitude) are handled, and will be handled. I know that i personally had quite a few people approaching me, demanding one thing or another happen.. trying to get more information from me that I didnt feel needed to be made public.

I dont feel that its necessary to confirm or deny whether a person is a multi. Whether they are or not, whether the evidence supports it or not, doesn't matter, because in the end, TJ makes the final call. I personally will not give people fodder to harrass someone over being a multi, publically, or behind the scenes. It would be completely inappropriate for me to share that information with someone non-mod, and who is not TJ. I am absolutely NOT comfortable with sharing information like that, officially, or unofficially.

What this post does (IMO) is make it absolutely clear how HE wants things handled, so that IF something blows up, theres a public post to reference back to that clearly lays out HIS stance. It might help with fallout, it might not.. but its better that /something/ was said, rather than nothing at all. Still leaning towards the "this post should have been locked" stance, of course.. it just means a discussion thread would have been started...*shudders*

Edit: I missed part of your response. If there is a question to whether something is a violation of a rule, or the TOS, I do make a point to point it out.. however. most of the time.. the person reporting just wants to alert me to a possible problem.. and arent exactly asking for specific information.

Edited by Thuban