TJ09

2014-04-15 - A Notice Regarding Staff

I have no idea what or how prompted, don't need or want to know but very much respect to this post.

The issue is taken care of at this point.-Sockpuppet

So what? I asked to be privately pmed information about what this post pertains to. That's not against the rules.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Well said.

I think TJ's made a good decision here, in how to handle the situation. I don't know what this is about, but I don't have any need to know either.

Well, count me as one of the few who actually wants to know what happened. Sounds like it involves situations that have occurred in the past or are somehow related, and that has me curious. Especially given how rare TJ ever acknowledges any kind of wrongdoing on his part or the staff.

I understand that some forum users appreciate this notice, but I for myself thought that such a policy by an administrator "goes without saying", if I use this expression right wink.gif that´s how I´d handle things as the most responsible person in the DC universe too, at least. One needs to be the person people can trust, even if others aren´t reliable.

there has been some requests that I "force" a public apology and make all punishment involved extremely clear.

Now that would be immature and non-professional, in my opinion. It is good that you do not do it TJ. While I myself experienced and saw things here which made me spend less time on this forum I do not think there is a need for more transparency.

(What about pinning this notice so it doesn`t get lost in other updates, just a suggestion?)

Edited by Mondat

I still wish more had happened in terms of reprimand but okay whatever man it's your site.

Having run forums and currently moderating on another game, I know how difficult the behind the scene stuff can be. smile.gif As long as it's handled and there's no continuous abuse of power on a site, I'm of the opinion that only the people directly involved need to be in the know. Moderators, and even administrators, are human too. Everyone has good and bad days, and we all make mistakes.

(while now i'm dying with curiosity to know what happened,) i also support TJ's way of handling this issue. as someone sad a bit up there, the problem is we're humans, and as humans we can make mistakes or be terribly obstinate about some things and fail to see we're mistaken in our actions, points of view and/or words.

if someone who was volunteering to work for the site does something... unwise(?), in respect for the good things they did do, as well as for their dignity as a human, i think such matters should be kept only amongst those involved and that's it. Otherwise, exposing them to the public may cause some weird animosity against them, and the whole thing would become a snow ball of... idk, animosity xd.png

and, i learned a new term: "modly duties" xd.png somehow "modly" sounds like "moldy" to me... xd.png

People who are asking you to force an apology need to gtfo. -Forcing- people to apologize negates the apology, frankly, and people demanding an apology because they got their precious little feefees hurt need to grow up. x_x

You are an excellent person, TJ. Thank you for a) having a spine, b ) having a brain, and c) having respect for everyone.

edit: stinkin' ninja smiley ruining mah post...

Edited by dramanutt29

(while now i'm dying with curiosity to know what happened,) i also support TJ's way of handling this issue. as someone sad a bit up there, the problem is we're humans, and as humans we can make mistakes or be terribly obstinate about some things and fail to see we're mistaken in our actions, points of view and/or words.

if someone who was volunteering to work for the site does something... unwise(?), in respect for the good things they did do, as well as for their dignity as a human, i think such matters should be kept only amongst those involved and that's it. Otherwise, exposing them to the public may cause some weird animosity against them, and the whole thing would become a snow ball of... idk, animosity xd.png

and, i learned a new term: "modly duties" xd.png somehow "modly" sounds like "moldy" to me... xd.png

Indeed. I personally am entirely in support of TJ's policy clarification. People will be people, and people aren't always nice. They have the right to free speech, but TJ also has the right to defend DC--and take actions such as suspending or removing them from staff, but that doesn't require any public announcement that would only make a bad problem even more prevalent.

It is not an action of trying to cover for them, or bury what they have done--they can still be judged by those who know, but it is not DC's responsibility, and thus DC should not be judged by their actions.

Thank you TJ... Unfortunately i had a chance to see that particular subject just before it got blocked from non-mods... It wasn't pretty but i've no right to say anything as it's opinion and we all have opinions. I appreciate the respect that is in this message.

I've never been on this site during drama or problems so far so I'm very, very, very happy to see that this is how things are handled here. Privacy is always the best policy. Unless everyone needs to know, they don't need to know. If a staff member has indeed made a mistake with how they worded something in such a way that it offended someone, then I'm sure they already know it and don't need the entire userbase knowing about it. All that does is create extra unneeded drama. I see it happen all the time on other websites. Someone on the staff says something that pisses more than one person off, they end up having to apologize for it, then everyone knows about it, and then there's 10 topics about it. It's utterly pointless.

I don't need to know what happened and I'm glad I don't know.

While I am unaware of what occurred, thank you for the notice.

Privacy has and always will be a big thing when internet users are in mind, so respecting the privacy of those involved earns a lot of respect from me for this website. I've been publicly 'named and shamed' on another forum once before, and it was not an enjoyable experience. I didn't understand what I did was wrong, as it was the first time I had ever used a forum, but people still painted me with the same brush. Nonetheless, I did learn from that mistake but I also lost respect for that forum and its staff, not to mention other users lost respect for me. I digress, what I am trying to say is regardless of the matter, knowing this issue will be dealt with discreetly is a policy I can understand and respect.

Edited by VampiricOmen

I just want to cover a few things:

--It's easy to look back on a situation you know nothing about and say people were overreacting. Unless you actually know the details of the situation, please do refrain from judging how others reacted.

--A thread saying consequences, even for staff, are private is not the place to ask for an explanation of what happened. TJ is/has taken care of it, and the point of the thread is not to rehash drama.

Finally, and I'm not typing this in my mod colors for a reason, whether your problem with a staff is something like how a warn was handled or how they acted towards you or whatever, do please let someone know. Someone mentioned that people complain a lot offsite, but if they have complaints that can be addressed, it won't harm them to submit them. TJ does bring up member concerns. We cannot improve what we don't know to improve. If you're comfortable PM'ing me if I have offended, harmed, or upset you, please do so. <3

I'll admit I at first thought this was in reference to a topic that I had written in (specifically against the idea that Artists should have all rights over Dragons) but i'm glad to know that's not what this was referencing. I completely understand not wanting to force an apology and keep this a private matter despite outcry to the contrary (Seriously, I've been there on a previous site I owned and it's not a fun position to be in. Terrible actually because the moderator in question was a friend in real life.).

@SPS: There's multiple reasons why people wouldn't come forward with complaints against Moderators. They might feel as if the situation could get worse if the offender does get in trouble. A lot of the times, there's moments where things happen but you don't know who was the cause. Or the victim doesn't have any evidence because the occurrence has since been deleted. Worse still is when multiple moderators or members are involved (Mob Mentality, basically). Unfortunately, a lot of stuff goes completely unaddressed. Not sure if there's a specific area for listing moderators, but if there isn't, it might be a good idea to make one so people know who exactly to turn to if they feel offended or wronged.

Edited by MysticTiger

Thanks for the clarifications on site policy, TJ. I also think somewhat more of a reprimand would have been better. Maybe no "forced apology", but at least recognition. What happened made (makes?) me somewhat uncomfortable with the forums - even if Dragon Cave doesn't "endorse" this stuff it still appears to allow it. I suppose I don't know whether it did "allow it", but since I don't know whether action has been taken I am left with the sense that nothing has been done, as KageSora said. From what Sockpuppet has been saying I'm getting the idea - and hoping - that something did happen beyond the offense.

Basically I'm a little confused, but it's looking like the offense didn't go unheeded so I suppose I'm okay with it. I'm just unfortunate enough to know what the original issue was but not the follow-up, which leads to feelings of righteous injustice xP

--It's easy to look back on a situation you know nothing about and say people were overreacting. Unless you actually know the details of the situation, please do refrain from judging how others reacted.

Thanks, Sockpuppet. Was starting to get twitchy at the wording of some people's posts Dx

\@SPS: There's multiple reasons why people wouldn't come forward with complaints against Moderators. They might feel as if the situation could get worse if the offender does get in trouble. A lot of the times, there's moments where things happen but you don't know who was the cause. Or the victim doesn't have any evidence because the occurrence has since been deleted. Worse still is when multiple moderators or members are involved (Mob Mentality, basically). Unfortunately, a lot of stuff goes completely unaddressed. Not sure if there's a specific area for listing moderators, but if there isn't, it might be a good idea to make one so people know who exactly to turn to if they feel offended or wronged.

I know there are plenty of reasons people may not want to or feel comfortable reporting actions, but I am saying that there have been (small) reports and complaints brought up against moderators before and they were addressed. So if that helps people report, I urge them to do so. I understand the need to vent offsite, but if users want to see the possibility of change on site, I do hope they find someone they're comfortable reporting to. We aren't mindreaders and tone is hard to read over the internet. It's also easy to just ignore posts and not respond to somebody. If I hurt somebody, I may not realize it unless the user feels comfortable approaching me or TJ to report what happened. ^^

Not sure if there's a specific area for listing moderators, but if there isn't, it might be a good idea to make one so people know who exactly to turn to if they feel offended or wronged.

I think this is that Mystic smile.gifhttp://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=Stats&CODE=leaders

I don't know what happened, therefore can't comment. However I do trust TJ.

I just want to cover a few things:

thanks a lot for saying this i was really bothered seeing what some people said when they dont actually know what happened :U

Thanks, TJ.

I don't know what happened, therefore can't comment. However I do trust TJ.

This.

After finding out what the recent incident was, I am very glad to see that action is being taken, and even more glad to see it's not being splashed across Dragon Cave. While I sincerely hope the ~Removed~ in question is quickly relieved of their duty (because wow someone like that needs to be as far away from the site as possible), every detail of their punishment does not need to be aired to the public.

Edited by _Z_

and even more glad to see it's not being splashed across Dragon Cave.

This, too.