TJ09

2014-04-15 - A Notice Regarding Staff

I would like to clarify the role of "staff" in Dragon Cave, and how that interaction affects the site. The short of it is: The only person authorized to speak on the behalf of (or otherwise represent) Dragon Cave is myself. However, there is much more to it than that, so read on.

There are three groups of people who quality as "staff:" forum moderators (including RP approvers), chat moderators (including half-ops), and site artists. Each group has the power to affect Dragon Cave in some way, be it by maintaining order in the site or chat, or designing holiday events. However, the personal opinions and beliefs they hold are their own. Even in the performance of their modly duties, staff only represent the site in a limited manner; for example, if a mod is found to be giving preferential treatment to one group of people over another, it does not mean that Dragon Cave endorses such behavior (even if the incident is recognized but permanent action is not taken).

That said, sometimes staff members express opinions that reflect extremely negatively on themselves (and, by extension, Dragon Cave)--they are entitled to their own beliefs, after all. In these cases, action may be taken to distance the site from the offender(s). These things are private matters, and, out of respect for all involved, details will not be shared publicly.

I bring this up because such a case has happened recently, and as a result, there has been some requests that I "force" a public apology and make all punishment involved extremely clear. However, I am strongly for an individual's right to privacy, and as mentioned above, any action will not be shared publicly (by me).

If you ever feel that a staff member's words or actions have significantly offended you, please feel free to message me. Regardless of whether or not action is taken, you will be heard.

This is a stance I feel I can respect, and it's good to see this clarification. I was glad to catch the news change so I could read it.

While I for one am one of those who feel like the individual referenced should apologize publicly, this post definitely clears things up and I will be satisfied with these measures.

I am very glad that whatever you have to do at these times will NOT be made public.

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for this.

Thank you for clearing up "policy".

However, now it really irks me to know what happened. *doh*

So basically, someone got butthurt?

It was a more...'explosive' issue with that, but it's over now. No one should worry about it anymore.

It was a more...'explosive' issue with that, but it's over now. No one should worry about it anymore.

I don't know about it, but I don't see why people everywhere still get overly offended. Glad it's over, whatever it is. smile.gif

Thanks TJ!

This sort of thing really SHOULD be a private issue, no matter how annoying it is for us followers (we're nosy! wink.gif ). I hope everything is easy enough for you to deal with, considering everything else you have going on in life.

(I can't IMAGINE how crazy busy you are with managing all this, plus the people problems, on top of LIFE. I can't see myself being able to handle it, props to you!)

Buggy

Nicely said. I have not been affected by this and I don't want to know the details. I think a public shaming is a horrible way to go about things: I'm glad you're not going down that path.

I don't know what happened and I don't need to know. It is enough that you have made the decision to keep such matters private and not to publicly chastise a person. It never seems to help, really, does it...

thank you for this update...

From what I've learned concerning what happened, this certainly seems like a peaceful way to resolve it c:

Thank you, TJ.

Privacy is good and all, and thank you for saying that you're aware of what's happened.

But I think there should be a little more transparency in these things. NOT full disclosure of what's happened, mind you--but letting people know that you are aware of their concerns/the accusations against a mod/artist/whatever, and that you are looking into the matter, as well as when the matter is resolved, regardless of if action is taken or not. (I will say, however, that if no action ever appears to be taken, then it starts to look like nothing's being done and all concerns are being dismissed)

This most recent matter isn't a new thing, just the largest that I've seen. Allegations of power abuse by mods/favoring users/unfair warns/artists with attitude problems/etc. have been happening from time to time for as long as I can remember... (No idea how often people actually report it when they see it, but I've seen the complaints both here and off-site)

The difficult part of dealing with us people is just that, we rae people and therefore can get hurt and/or can hurt others. I think your policy of not doing publicly is very wise. Thank you for clarifying your policy. smile.gif

Thus the king has spoken!

But in all seriousness I think this a great policy and the best possible solution to any incidents like this!