Darien

Trains...

I don't think I've ever had the chance to be on a train. I don't know if traveling by trolley counts? If so, I have but that was over 10 years ago. This would be something I'd really like to experience.

I take the TriMet MAX Light Rail trains on a regular basis, since the best way for me to get to classes at Portland State University is to take public transit. That and my boyfriend lives off of the Blue Line. My husband takes the WES heavy rail diesel train to work every morning except for when he works weekends or holidays.

I like trains

no but seriously steam locomotives sign me up

i've been on a few of those actually, like the Chehalis-Centralia one, I think there's one in Snoqualmie as well... just a lot of them in western/northern Washington I've been on. But newer trains? Actually... not that much. Once or twice, actually.

I like trains

no but seriously steam locomotives sign me up

i've been on a few of those actually, like the Chehalis-Centralia one, I think there's one in Snoqualmie as well... just a lot of them in western/northern Washington I've been on. But newer trains? Actually... not that much. Once or twice, actually.

I love steam locomotives too, I would love too take a ride on one of the UP Big Boy's...

Hey.

I've never really been a vehicle enthusiast, but recently I've gained a new appreciation for riding locomotives after taking the Metra regularly. I know, I know, they don't stack up to those fancy Japanese superfasts, or to those romantic steam locomotives, but I like my local trains :3

I don't mind trains all that much, having lived like...what? 19 years next to train tracks.

I like riding trains though I don't usually do it often because there's an express bus right next to the closest train to my home, which brings you to the city much faster than any train would.

But y'know, it's still not the same! Heh.

I love riding on trains, and one day, I hope to ride Belmond Royal Scotsman and Venice Simplon-Orient-Express (VSOE).

As a young child growing up in Canada, I fondly remember sleeping in the old Pullman sleeper cars.  I remember undressing and putting my clothes in a small net bag hanging in front of the window and being lulled to sleep by the clickity-clack of the wheels.  and eating in the dining cars.

I remember riding in the trains between Richmond, Va, and the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Illinois and going back and forth between the Base and the different towns in the area while on Liberty.  And while Homported in Yokosuka, Japan I rode the trains many times for the same reason.

I volunteer with a semi-local non-profit railroad. I've done track maintenance both with track straightening, laying track, clearing trees for regulation, and I have been working on the steam engines for their every fifteen year boiler (?) maintenance and, most interesting, I have worked on a very rare locomotive called the Krauss Maffei. I've been volunteering there since November in varying degrees.

When I was little, I was really into Thomas the Tank Engine and I had a bunch of toys, and that sparked my lowkey interest in trains. I also lived near a crossing and liked hearing engines blowing their horns in the night when I couldn't sleep -- now that I'm back near one in a railway town, the story is the same!

Though the journey is usually long, I love taking the train to see my girlfriend, there's something just soothing about riding them. I've ridden behind a steam locomotive once and haah I would love to do it again.

My brother loves trains, specifically the 844 Union Pacific.... meaning I've had to watch the episode of Extreme Trains (with Matt Bown) with the 844 Union Pacific aproximatley 14,000 times. Yup. I pretty much know the entire episode off by heart at this stage...

I don't know much about trains but my dad use to have a model train set in the basement when I was a kid. He use to put me on the boards and I use to blow the train whistle and play with all the little people. I'm not a huge fan of riding in real trains but I have happy memories of the model set.

I rode on Amtrak last year down too Florida too see my great uncle...

On 10/8/2015 at 5:05 PM, jesterboohoo said:

. Not really bothered by the trains anyway... except when they inconveniently cut through town when I'm trying to get from point A to point B in a hurry.

When there was a single track going through town, it wasn't too bad, because there was always a few minutes at the crossings between the trains going in each direction.  Then the railroad decided to put in a second track...  I read in the paper about how there would be less stoppage time at the crossings in the future.   Uh-HUH, right!  I knew that was a mis-statement even then.   I have now had to sit in my car at the crossing one day while THREE complete freight trains slowly crossed in front of me.  One going one way, then, just as that train finished passing, another train started across AND when that train was finishing, then ANOTHER train started across!!! 

I was upset for myself, yes, but think on if there had been a need for a police car or ambulance in that area.  A train going East can usually be quite speedy, but the Westbound trains are climbing and usually going quite slowly.    I am often held up by two trains...

Sigh....