Darien

Trains...

I stayed somewhere the other night by a train track, which was going throughout the night. Then I was up, bright and early, the next morning. eurgh. Trains are not on my list of favourite things right now.

Usually, though, I really like them. They're always so clean and fast and I've met some really nice people on them. smile.gif

The only passenger trains around here is Amtrak, I have been thinking about taking it out MFM this year...

I've lived around trains my whole life. Now that I'm in an area that doesn't seem to have as many, I really miss hearing a lonely whistle late at night...

I also wish America had more/better public transport, I miss being able to pretty much hop on a train and go to various places like I could when I lived in the St. Louis area.

It would be nice if we had something like that. Do any of you do Model train layouts?, I have an HO Scale layout. Southern and Norfolk and Southern power that I run...

I live outside Chicago and there's commuter trains all around. I love hopping on to go down to the city or just to visit my hometown a few stops away. Always been nice.

I don't think I've been on any other kind of train. I've always wanted to visit somewhere via Amtrak but haven't had the chance yet.

I took the commuter trains all the time when I was living in Japan...

Never ridden a train. Most trains that come through here are freight/agriculture. There are amtrak stations an hour out or so, but I've never seen them. Not really bothered by the trains anyway... except when they inconveniently cut through town when I'm trying to get from point A to point B in a hurry.

I watched Thomas the train regularly when I was in grade school...xd.png

But other than that, I like watching trains pass by on the railway, it's a very soothing experience. I ride the train around in the countryside when I visit my grandparents too.

I love riding in trains! In Sri Lanka, where I'm from, it's very fun to ride - especially on the "hill country train" as we call it, which is basically the train that goes from the capital city of Colombo to some of the mountain region towns. The second half of the journey is especially beautiful and runs through tea plantations and forests. (If you google "Sri Lanka Train" or something like that, you'll see what I mean.)

The trains in Sri Lanka are old not very fast, and the doors stay open. One of my favorite ways to ride is to sit on the doorsteps of the train. It's very fun and as long as you hold on tight, quite safe.

I have also done the Royal Gorge Train ride in Colorado, USA. It's a much different experience but no less beautiful in it's own way.

Closest thing to a train I've ever been on is the little toy train they have at the zoo.

My grandfather loved trains.

Oooh Dewdropmon reminded me of riding the toy trains at the Wisconsin Dells and again at the Bay Beach amusement part @ Green Bay, WI. It's fun to pretend to be a kid sometimes.

I also had a small battery operated train & track set when I was a kid, which brought be hours of entertainment smile.gif

I watched Thomas the train regularly when I was in grade school...xd.png

But other than that, I like watching trains pass by on the railway, it's a very soothing experience. I ride the train around in the countryside when I visit my grandparents too.

I basically grew up with Thomas the Tank Engine along with my brother. laugh.gif Now that they've started animating the trains, i've steered away from it but the original episodes I think were the best.

As for real life, I've always been around trains, especially Metros, which make up the majority of my train experiences. Other than that, there are a lot of train museums in the UK and as a child, I was brought to many! I've never had any trams in the place i've always lived though, as opposed to London which have many. The place where my grandma used to live had loads of trams and I guess ever since I was a child i've always found them nostalgic or interesting..

I really like trains! They carry me from my grey normal things to places where my real life and friends are happy.gif

I don't even know how I could function without trains at the moment ~~

A little something for all of you who use too watch Thomas...

I have used trains in England so many times in the past and have travelled to many counties using them. Beats sitting in traffic! wink.gif

I've only been on a train for one trip, and I found it surprisingly relaxing. It lulled me to sleep for several hours- maybe I should just set up my bed next to the dryer or something, but the rumbles were very soothing.

Came a cross this Southern Railway at Saluda NC, I used too watch them as they came through town...

I wouldn't say I'm a rabid lover of trains, or that I've always been around trains, but I enjoy riding them.

Atm, I live about 16 miles from Tartu, and sometimes if my Fiance is at work and has the car , I will decide to take the train into the city.

There's just something about the sound of being on a train, hearing its noise on the tracks and watching out of the window thats enjoyable.

I'm visiting Japan very soon, I'm excited to ride the Japanese Subways and Shinkansen.

Though if the rumours of how crowded they are are true, I may regret saying that. xd.png

I don't get trains very often. I've just started a job that's not particularly close to home, though, and I've got to take two busses for an hour. That's a crappy trip. Not enjoying it.

I'm visiting Japan very soon, I'm excited to ride the Japanese Subways and Shinkansen.

Though if the rumours of how crowded they are are true, I may regret saying that. xd.png

Its no rumor the subways in Japan are very crowded. I lived in Tokyo for a year...

I've never been on a train and have always wanted to ride one. I live in the suburbs where there are railroad tracks in my back yard, but no passenger/metro type trains ever use it. It's specifically for coal and transportation of windmill blades, military vehicles, that kind of thing. These trains shake my whole house and they go by every 5 to 10 minutes, day and night. I've had to board up my bedroom windows to keep from being woken up by them constantly and they disturb the peace. There's no relaxing here because of them. They're loud and slow. I don't have any clue how the passenger trains are, but I definitely hate these coal trains.

A N&S train coal us too run through here. I miss the coal trains...