Darien

Trains...

I use the GOtranit (green double decker trains) that go along the lakeshore of southern Ontario.

I have never been on a train, but we have a track that goes through our little town (er, more like a village, actually...) Ever since I read The Christmas Train by David Baldacci, I've wanted to ride one as a passenger. It sounds like such an interesting experience.

My mom's boyfriend works for a train company and travels all the time as a result. If I wasn't a mom, that would be a job for me!

I travel by train from time to time and its a great way to travel.

Edited by Sinion Kabe

What, never at all...

Came a cross this about 'The Ghost Train' I wobder were its going?...

Nope never... We live near a track tho.....

Seeing as we have one on cars I thought I would ask if there any Train lovers out there. I used too live next too the tracks and would watch  every day as the trains go by and I would wave too them. So whats your thoughts on Trains?...

Every now and then I can hear a train come thru here

Edited by Rachel72

We've got train tracks running across town (I moved here in May); I'm about a mile away and hear them all the time, and have to cross them to get to work. I kinda like how they sound, and I remember one time this summer I was biking and had to wait for one to cross, and I was impressed by how it shook the ground as it rumbled past.

Lately they've been causing a lot of trouble, though, blocking the roads for an hour or so (usually during peak traffic times, such as 7:45-8:45 am, or noon-1, or during the commute home). When I moved here earlier this year, you'd hear about that only once a month or so, if that. But the last three or four weeks it's been getting really bad, happening multiple times a week. See, it divides the town completely in half. If you're lucky you might be able to get around outside of town, but you'd have to cross about three or four more crossings and hope that they're not blocked, and even if they're open it adds an extra 10 minutes of driving. Not only does it hugely inconvenience everyone, but it's dangerous - what about medical emergencies where an ambulance can't get through to the hospital (they have a fire station on each side of the tracks so at least there's that), and then last week someone hit a train that was stopped on the track in the dark (it's a crossing immediately after going around a curve - hard to see, and it was icy so he couldn't stop when he saw it.) State law says that they can only be stopped on the tracks for 10 minutes (and they got 28 citations in the county between March and September of this year for it), but federal law says that the train has right-of-way, so it's a bit of a sticky situation. Something really needs to be done about it; get the company to stop blocking the tracks for so long or build an overpass or something.

EDIT: Night before last, the train horn actually got stuck for at least a good 10 minutes, at almost 1am. I'm glad I don't live any closer, because it was loud enough here.

Edited by Dawnwing

We used too have train run through here, but back in 84 they took up thr tracks...

Why did they do that?

I'm very fond of trains, as they take me to and from work. I can't stand driving in the city so it's really the only other option.

I'm always very happy to see the security officers wandering around (though they never seem to be where you actually need them).

Eavesdropping on non-English conversations is one of my favorite pasttimes. I'm not sure if this is so in other countries to the same degree, but here in Australia a huge proportion of the population is bilingual - you don't hear any English on some train lines. But for some reason, everyone still assumes that if they're speaking another tongue, no one will understand. And it's hilarious.

I don't know why, but I do miss seeing the trains...

I bet you do... Maybe someday they will rebuild the tracks.

Here in Belgrade where I live our trains are a wreck. In a horrible state. I only traveled by train once, when my dad, sister and I went to Montenegro for a summer vacation. I was 8 and my sister was 6 back then. I actually loved the trip while my dad couldn't get enough sleep and my sister was often nauseous, so they hated it. xd.png

I wish they would, but I don't think they ever will rebuil it...

Bummer.... Maybe that will change, someday

It was always a thing with my family to count the train cars as they passed by. To this day, I still do it. biggrin.gif

Edited by harlequinraven

Trains also remind me of my deceased grandfather, whom I greatly loved. He was a serious train fanatic. My second cousin also loves trains. He takes after his great grandfather. smile.gif

I've hoped a freigth train or two in my days, that's about the only riding I've done...