Viirin

Azure Wyrm

Stopping where he is in the wet Crell tries to feel the change in his slime on the outside several times before giving up. His slime was back to normal and he couldnt find the source of the change. Shaking himself he starts to swim deeper into the wet, farther away from the surface.

Shaking, it was shaking, and it wanted to do something but it couldn't tell what, it was shaking with anger-fear, mostly fear, definitely fear and it scrambled with its only limbs to try to pull itself backwards. Its limbs weren't built for that sort of coordination, however, and it ended up digging into wet squishy ground and flinging hard bits and teetering tottering and it accidentally flung itself FORWARD into the DEAD THING OH NO

panic panic panic consumed the slime

the slime consumed

moving backwards,

backwards,

backwards,

away from

but it was stuck

it was in the dead thing

which tasted awful.

Selim

The slime shook happily, it was full. The pushing was coming very hard on the front of it. Or was it the bottom? It couldn't tell. The pushing became harder and harder every second. The slime was startled but also pleased at the growth. It's purpose was being fulfilled, but the pushing was scary. The slime was now shaking back and forth violently. Soon the things pushing would break the surface.

((Growing dragon fly eyes. If I have enough mass, growing black ant legs too.))

Edited by Evil sethoss

@Lilith: (unlocked: skunk) It was difficult to ignore the flavor, but it was very easy to consume the organic! There was a lot more than the slime expected. As it absorbed more, it only found more of the same thing. After awhile, the slime found that it was not only full, but had stuffed itself enough with organic that it didn't think it would have to absorb anything for quite awhile, unless it became active.

Lilith

After absorbing the organic, the slime started working its way through the wet. It looked for an area where it could get to somewhere dry as it lazily floated around in the wet, not searching for anything to absorb.

OOC @ Everyone: So, I've had a thought recently. Anyone know the "sphere grid" system from Grrl Power or Final Fantasy X? Well, I thought Azure Wyrm could actually use a sphere grid. I won't say what much of anything is at all! But each player would have the same sphere grid, though every slime would have different things highlighted/filled in. Thoughts?

I have no clue what a sphere grid system is. Anybody fluent care to explain? ninja.gif

OOC Why not me?

Final Fantasy X and Grrl Power, respectively. Think something like this could help out everyone?

Now, no one knows much about Grrl Power's sphere grid, except that each of the orbs have their own powers and upgrade when a circle attached to it is filled in. Two of the orbs have unknown powers but they do have filled-in circles so they DO have effects, but no one knows what.

Final Fantasy X's sphere grid has specific traits on most its circles, though it also has open circles that do nothing. However, special items can be gained to give the empty circles abilities. There are also Locks that have to be opened in order to progress past it (separates various starting areas from each other).

My plan is this: Have the sphere grid, and each player would have their own stuff filled in, or not. Sometimes certain circles would be filled in with specific colors, where other players have that same circle a different color. That means that those two players could never gain that power from each other. Instead of every circle having to be unlocked in a linear fashion, each one could be done in any order. Sure you ate Fire Ants and unlocked it right away, but it doesn't mean you can't get it after getting your slime to the size of a school bus. It just means you have to get it from another slime since you'll never get that much biomass from the original animal.

Edited by Viirin

A sphere grid might be helpful in certain ways (like, for example for abilities from chemicals that we likely wouldn't know how to get on our own,) but, on the other case, would there be a circle for every animal that currently exists? (in case we request them?) That seems like a lot of work on your end.

Edited by Avialae

It's already a lot of work on my end! But no, none of the circles would be labeled. I'm not even sure how to do it- I've got a rough sketch so far, but that's just the big parts. All the detailed things would... yeah it would look more like FFX than Grrl for sure, because it's so complicated (not to say the Grrl Power one isn't complicated already).

So far, the outermost circles are "silhouettes", like Hydra, Linnorm, Wyrm, Chinese, Wyvern, etc. So those circles being filled in would be showing that you got certain traits that you'd need to fit a stereotype for that dragon shape. Not saying I'd make anyone stereotypical! Kinda like how I give players Pineapple because it looks like European dragonscale to me. I also put in the Elemental circles, which are smaller and there are more of them, inside that ring of circles. There's also a circular band in between those two, separating them, which no one has an unlock from yet. It ties the two together, though! Ability-wise. You already know that you can unlock stuff in any order (for the most part) already.

One exception is Vulpine's curse of having spoons hit her in the face at random.

Edited by Viirin

((Um, oops. I sort of forgot everything existed. Can I have a recap? What's been happening?!))

It's already a lot of work on my end! But no, none of the circles would be labeled. I'm not even sure how to do it- I've got a rough sketch so far, but that's just the big parts. All the detailed things would... yeah it would look more like FFX than Grrl for sure, because it's so complicated (not to say the Grrl Power one isn't complicated already).

So far, the outermost circles are "silhouettes", like Hydra, Linnorm, Wyrm, Chinese, Wyvern, etc. So those circles being filled in would be showing that you got certain traits that you'd need to fit a stereotype for that dragon shape. Not saying I'd make anyone stereotypical! Kinda like how I give players Pineapple because it looks like European dragonscale to me. I also put in the Elemental circles, which are smaller and there are more of them, inside that ring of circles. There's also a circular band in between those two, separating them, which no one has an unlock from yet. It ties the two together, though! Ability-wise. You already know that you can unlock stuff in any order (for the most part) already.

One exception is Vulpine's curse of having spoons hit her in the face at random.

It sounds like a pretty good idea, but it does sound a bit vague.

Zeditha: Avisk is currently buried (I think) in piles of garbage near the opposite end the cave where your slime is, which turns out to be only a very short walk, and Aster (i.e. Runner) went out the other end of the cave through a hole only to find a sheer drop on the other end, and found itself falling because it wasn't expecting that. It began flying and went back to the hole to find the other two slimes, holding on to the sides of the cliff wall the hole was coming out of, which at least right around the hole were made of pressed down garbage, with its claws (and in the process growing the last couple of parts to give it the basic shape of a Raptor (i.e., velociraptor) dragon, which is OK because I used exclusively unlocks from present-day animals). Then Aster/Runner opened its mouth that still has slime in it and used the luminescence ability it had unlocked way back to try to see into the cave and/or get the attention of the other two slimes.

Out of character, we're talking about putting a Sphere Grid in use for our characters. It's apparently going to be like the one in Final Fantasy X, except with that one we could only unlock abilities that were adjacent to ones that we had currently unlocked, leading to problems in-game (if I remember correctly) while here, we can unlock any ability we like.

OOC @ Everyone: Okay, so Booksv2 called me on skype (PM me for my info and I'll give you it) and we talked about this for two days, to make sure everyone else could understand it. Here are the fruits of that:

-Ignore everything about how the other two sphere grids work; it is just the overall total layout that is similar.

-Nothing is limited. The only "you can't get what they have" only exists in two places right now, surprisingly both the same player! Avialae's Vulpine is on Magistream, and has a magnetic skull. Aster is on Dragoncave, and has partially copper bones. These abilities aren't genetic so they can't be gained by eating her characters. You have to do what she did. The copper was simple; the magnetism was extremely complex and had to be done in a specific sequence.

-The circles won't have any labels at all. If you guys work together, you can eventually piece together what the whole giant super complex thing looks like, and label it yourself if you want (the NationStates thread asked if they can make a wiki).

-It's the same thing that Azure Wyrm has always gone off since 2006, just it's only been in my own head, and I never told anyone about it until now. So there won't be any gameplay changes; just you'll potentially be able to figure out a few abilities later on because of this (??? + spiderweb + ??? = able to make an egg that brings you back to life one time if your slime dies). Dragonfire is another super ability, that is a combination of a bunch of stuff. Fire breath is one thing, but to have it "dragon" quality is something totally different, and using this you can start to figure out what you're missing.

-Powerful abilities are the only things that will be on this grid. Putting every animal/plant would be ridiculous. So, it'll pretty much just be certain things that you need multiple things to unlock, or other circles representing abilities that can become more powerful with additional unlocks.

((My small brain can't process it all. Oh well, one time I'll figure it out.

I think Topaz feels bad he can't see, smell, or taste. Shhh, Topaz, soon.))

The slime slowly moved until it bumped into a clump of dirt. It almost toppled over but regained its balance. It moved away from the dirt, then didn't know where to go. So it kept moving the same way constantly, quite confused.

OOC @ Everyone: Okay, so Booksv2 called me on skype (PM me for my info and I'll give you it) and we talked about this for two days, to make sure everyone else could understand it. Here are the fruits of that:

-Ignore everything about how the other two sphere grids work; it is just the overall total layout that is similar.

-Nothing is limited. The only "you can't get what they have" only exists in two places right now, surprisingly both the same player! Avialae's Vulpine is on Magistream, and has a magnetic skull. Aster is on Dragoncave, and has partially copper bones. These abilities aren't genetic so they can't be gained by eating her characters. You have to do what she did. The copper was simple; the magnetism was extremely complex and had to be done in a specific sequence.

-The circles won't have any labels at all. If you guys work together, you can eventually piece together what the whole giant super complex thing looks like, and label it yourself if you want (the NationStates thread asked if they can make a wiki).

-It's the same thing that Azure Wyrm has always gone off since 2006, just it's only been in my own head, and I never told anyone about it until now. So there won't be any gameplay changes; just you'll potentially be able to figure out a few abilities later on because of this (??? + spiderweb + ??? = able to make an egg that brings you back to life one time if your slime dies). Dragonfire is another super ability, that is a combination of a bunch of stuff. Fire breath is one thing, but to have it "dragon" quality is something totally different, and using this you can start to figure out what you're missing.

-Powerful abilities are the only things that will be on this grid. Putting every animal/plant would be ridiculous. So, it'll pretty much just be certain things that you need multiple things to unlock, or other circles representing abilities that can become more powerful with additional unlocks.

Yeah. Now it sounds like a much better idea.

OOC

I'm glad to hear that this won't hurt our gameplay... I'm happy with the gameplay right now, and was worried that this would complicate things, but I see that it'll actually simplify some things.

So I think I understand it now. It's a chart to help us understand if an ability needs more than one 'power' to unlock it, and we try to fill in the blanks ourselves as we go along?- like a puzzle. That's cool. smile.gif

I like this particular idea as it's been outlined - the 'super abilities' that have been alluded to have been so vague that we might never stumble onto them with everything else there is to find, and this gives us something to go on at least if we want them, without overwhelming anyone in the process.

((I've been sick so that's why i've been away- sorry about that))

Avisk decided to give up on the odd shiny round thing for now. It was clearly too big, which still made the slime curious. Maybe that other giant slime had created it. Maybe it hadn't. Maybe it was an even bigger slime? Or just some weird shiny round thing too. That could be it. It might not be from a slime at all.

The slime heard what sounded like Unsure calling out, and then noticed a glowing light emanating from the one hole it had saw. It shook vigorously, the rattling amplified by the new trick it had learned from the other, now dead, slime in response to Unsure's call. It was a late response sadly, but a response none the less. Where was Kind?

Avisk hopped off the round object and started to slowly make its way over to Unsure, rattling a little and adding a trill so Unsure would recognize Avisk. Its color also changed to a slightly brighter color, standing out amongst the darkness once the glow from Unsure hit it.

((Also I like the idea of having a charty flow-chart type of thingy to help us smile.gif It seems like a good idea.))

Edited by Dragonhatchling

OOC @ Evil Sethoss: I'm giving you a choice here, which is why I was vague. Either the legs you're growing are fully hardened exoskeleton, but only small points that will have to extend out as they slowly grow, or they can extend out as useless tentacles that can harden and form joints over time. Either way, they'll need more mass to complete.

--------------------------------------------------

@The Serpent: The laboratory where the slimes were created had been abandoned for months now. Six? Fifteen? Forty? Slimes weren't aware, nor affected by, the passage of time, so it didn't matter. Many of the canisters had been opened in one way or another, and had spread throughout the area; some of the canisters getting to the other side of the world by now. Potentially lucky for the slime in this canister, it ended up back near where the other canisters had been unsealed, and was stuck in a pile of garbage below a rotting pier.

A makeshift tackle box rested on top of the pier, but the rotting wood gave way, and the box fell down and broke the top off of the canister, releasing the slime.

---------------------------------------------------

@Aster: Nothing. The slime didn't see any trace of the other slimes inside either of the holes, though it knew that the other slimes WERE in there. It had seen... felt? Noticed... whatever. It knew they DID go in there, but they didn't come out. Were they digging through things, looking for something else? The slime's mind wandered back to when it was in the up. Far into the distances, in one direction, past the green, it saw some grayish-shiny square-ish things that didn't look organic, but looked... well, it was outside the slime's imagination. But the other direction, far outwards, it saw the green darker. Dark green. Also some black that looked wet. It even looked like there were things living in it.

@Topaz: (unlocked: thistle flower) The pokey bits weren't very long, and quickly added together into a bulbous shape. Bulbous? That meant it was big and round and full of organicness! The back end of the round part was small and thin and long... but the slime couldn't feel that far. This was enough, at least for now.

@Crell: The slime didn't even see it. Even with the vision it had, it still couldn't see it! It got stuck. Something invisible, but inorganic, thick and strong, was blocking the slime's ability to move forward. It could still feel the wet nearly everywhere, but it instead felt the... THING blocking it all around it, and it moved when either the slime or wet moved.

@Tch'ah: The horrible organic thing wasn't moving, and was dry and crusty, and its outstretched, open mouth and raised claws poked the slime uncomfortably as it was smothered by the slime's slime. It would be surprising for any creature to enjoy this, and the slime was directly on top of it.

@Selim: The ocular thing the slime was doing in one part of itself seemed to develop rather well, in all its strangeness. But the other parts were... not doing so well. Something about them was really hard to make work, though the slime wasn't sure why. It had never done something exactly like this, and maybe that was the problem? It would get better at it if it felt like it.

@Lilith: The slime took longer than it had ever wanted to, but it did eventually find a dry spot. Dry and dusty, and it was a totally different texture of ground than it had been finding so far, when it did. It was soft ground. Soft, and raised in the middle of two streams of flowing liquid. But at least it could finally rest!

@Avisk: The slime had been making its rattling sound for awhile now, but the new organics it had been consuming, the new thoughts it had settling... taught it something. This was NOT a happy thing. This was not a greeting. Well, it was. It was a greeting that meant "I will kill you if you make the wrong move or come closer". The slime had, well, until recently, not made much of any sound at all with it, so it didn't really matter. But now that it was something potent, something that was obvious- it was probably making it so any potential organics in the area were going out of their way to become invisible, hidden, or something similar because of that sound. The slime should probably figure out some other communication method...

@Leviathan: The slime simultaneously became conscious and felt a large pressure pressing against it. Then the pressure was gone, and the... nothing? above it felt like it pressed against and then pulled on the slime, but then that stopped, too. The slime felt smooth inorganic around it in most directions except one; and that one tasted salty.

Wiggling harder and trying to get away from this whatever it was Crell tries to turn around to get away. Whatever this thing is it doesn't seem to be hurting him, but not knowing what it is was making him worry and panic. Swimming as hard as he can to get away as fast as possible.

@Serket: It wasn't really a taste, but a feeling. That would be easy to remember! But actually, there was a taste. Something stuck on one or two of the inorganic sharp pieces... it was still inorganic, but crumbly. Hard. The slime wasn't sure. But after it had shifted a few things to position itself, it found something that tasted extremely bitter, and... dust? Sand? It felt similar to the ground, and the taste from the sharps, but it was organic.

Bitter dusty tastes creeping up all along its underside, the slime squirmed around the crumbling sharpness and focused on the clinging hints of sand-like particles that tasted of organic. A taste so faint the slime could barely pick it up even while touching its entire side against the crumbling inorganic... and its long extensions couldn't pick up the sensation, either.

There was only one way to know if the bitter-dust was useful, and that was to consume it. The slime set to absorbing the dust, its body shifting around the inorganic and reeling against the feeling of having something it couldn't eat inside of itself. But there was no other way to take the dust from the sharp, so the slime bore the horrid, disgusting feeling on half-absorbing inorganic matter for as long as it could stand.

The bitter sank in until there was none left on the crumbly-sharp. Peeling its body away from the inorganic, the slime rolled the new taste in its mouth. Still vaguely similar to the sharp, and to the bitterness it had encountered earlier. The slime had no way of knowing what kind of use the bitter would have, and it provided only negligible amounts of organic sustenance, not nearly enough to craft new linings for its outside or new helpful bits like the soft parts that helped sense new things to absorb.

More. The slime needed more, and better, if it wanted to grow. Its soft sensing-sticks on its top swiveled in search of fresh organic tastes. Leaving the bitter-dust behind, the slime headed out of the flat place with the wet points. Soon it found itself advancing up an incline, a new organic taste fresh in its senses. This one was different than the others to an extent, promising helpful tastes and touches, if only the slime could reach it. The ground beneath the slime was growing unsteady, crumbly like the sharps.

Still the slime carved its way forward through the sand.

-

(OOC: hahahah I'm terrible am I even allowed to participate in this anymore after vanishing for so long and now I have no idea what's going on in the larger plot xd.png)

OOC @ Lumikkja: Of course you can still participate! It hasn't been a year between posts. Even if it was, I'd still have to take over or kill your character first. I'm not doing updates today, but I had to reply to that smile.gif

There were two instincts, one would work called getawayfast, the other was so strange and said to attackandthenflee, which made no sense because the slime had nothing to attack with except goop and slime

maybe if the slime consumed the things claws, it couldn't poke it anymore? Crazy idea, which was completely stupid because then the thing would have time to attack it and then the slime would be hurt. Limbs, please work please bend and gain traction and move in a useful direction! Abandon the crazy idea, even though it had already started eating the sharp, pokey, yucky claws because really, they were irritating. Wait. That idea... Maybe-- Might the slime go on the offensive. Absorbing the claws made it so that they did not hurt the slime, and so far the mouth was not moving, was still so maybe the slime's consumption made it stop?

The slime slid out of the hard, inorganic thing that confined it into the open pile of many different things. Some things were hard and inorganic and some things were soft and inorganic. A few things were really thin and felt inorganic but had tiny organic stuff spread over them. The slime made a primitive decision in its tiny neural network and glopped over the pile until it found a soft, thin organic thing with hard strips of organic stuff running through the middle of the thing. The thing tasted very salty. The slime enveloped the many thin layers of the thing and absorbed it.

Edited by The_Serpent