pudding

Mina's grin widened at Aang as he spoke. She turned back towards where they were walking after she got an answer. Aang huh? That's a nice name. So's Appa. I think we'll get along jus' fine. she remarked.

It did take a lot of Earthbenders. It took a lot of Water and Firebenders too. But it was eventually done, and now there's ten of them. Detrin replied. He hated having to bend through the ice. It had taken ages, and had been brutal work. He and Mina had worked side-by-side in creating a mine, and they didn't leave each others sides since. Detrin was like Mina's little brother back in Fire Fountain City, so she virtually adopted the young man. They were a mismatched family, but a family nonetheless.

The mine didn't end up being that far off, luckily. Even luckier, the guards seemed to have left to eat. That meant it was empty. Good. Mina darted ahead and snatched a torch off one of the supports. She lit it easily and then handed it to Detrin. Here we are. Alright, let's get inside, and then we can chat.

Wow, all the nations working together? That rarely happened. Sure they were all friends and he had a lot of friends spread throughout the kingdoms but he had never heard of a large-scale group project like building an entire mine. Or ex-kingdoms. He'd have to talk about that with these two nice people. "Wow," He commented, rather surprised by the mine. "That's one dark mine." He glanced back at Appa as the bison growled at the cave, not pleased at all. Quickly, Aang stood up on the Armadillo Lion's back and nimbly leapt over to Appa, landing lightly on his head and picking up the reins. "Hey, buddy," He soothed, patting the Bison's head, trying to calm him down. "Appa doesn't like caves," He explained with a frown as he looked up at the two. "He really doesn't want to go inside. They make him uncomfortable."

Both benders exchanged glances. So no caves. Huh...where else could they go? Detrin slipped onto Seret's saddle and took hold of his own reins. Well, where do you suggest we go? We can't go back to town; curfew's been out for ages and Mina has already used unauthorized bending. Going back now would get her lashings and I'd get arrested. he replied. The Earthbender frowned as he thought. Aha! Mina, get on. I know just where we can go. As soon as Mina had climbed on as well (armadillo lions could comfortably seat three people), Detrin turned to Aang. Follow me on your bision. I've got a neat place to show you. A snap of the reins, and Seret took off. They could go to the wrecks. Nobody ever went near those and they wouldn't have to go underground.

"Unauthorized bending?" Aang replied in shock. What was that? Who was putting restrictions on bending and why would people get lashes for it? That was terrible! "No offense but your home sounds pretty lame," He said as he flicked Appa's reins, accompanied by a yip-yip to get him to walk. The bison groaned and trudged after the lizard, not feeling up to flying just yet. "What else has changed in fifteen years?" He asked a few seconds later, not really bothering to question how he had ended up in the iceberg in the first place. Or even mention why. He had an idea about it but really didn't want to talk about that. "And what happened to the kingdoms?"

Both Detrin and Mina were silent for a long while, obviously reluctant to answer. After a while, Detrin spoke up. Mina knows what happened better. I was two when everything happened. She was eight. In other words, a cop-out. Mina's cheerful expression faded and became sullen as she thought about everything. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. It was all painful to recall.

I was a little girl when everything changed. The Fire Nation had been lying to its people, and we learned of this the hard way. It started when I met people from the Water Tribes. They were in chains. They were prisoners. I saw it out of my window. When I asked about it, I was told they were criminals. But children couldn't be criminals. Not children as old as I was. She fell silent as her voice began to strain. It was all hard to talk about. How could she explain it all in words? A year later, Ba Sing Se's walls had been breached by a Fire Nation drill. It all went downhill from there. The Fire nation committed near-genocide on the Earth Kingdom exactly one-hundred years after they had done the same to the Air Nomads. They used Sozin's Comet to wipe out more than half the city. Fire Lord Ozai let his daughter Azula become the next Fire Lord, when he became Pheonix King. Ruler over the world. He made everything so horribly different. Benders from all across the world were taken from their families to work. Bending was banned for anything other than work. There were rebellions, but all of them have ended in blood. I've been here since I was sixteen, working in the mines and hauling cargo. Detrin was brought here when he was seven. It's...it's been like this since. When she finished, Namina sighed heavily. It really took a toll on one's morale to retell such suffering. Her golden eyes opened to rest on one of Appa's thick, shaggy legs. Detrin turned his head and patted his friend on the shoulder.

It's...been years since I've seen my family. Mina and I are the closest thing to family we both have.

Aang, being a monk, respected all life. He hated to see it pass and was a vegetarian for obvious reasons. He had friends from the Fire Nation and friends from the Earth kingdom. For him, it was impossible to believe any of this had happened. Following the story, the airbender lapsed into unnerved silence as he tried to absorb this information. Not surprisingly, he immediately found a problem. "But... the Air temple is unreachable except by flying bison. And I was only asleep for fifteen years. Everyone was alive before I left." His grip on the reins tightened considerably as a strange look overcame his face. Denial. "I mean, they're probably all hiding if you haven't seen them in a long time. There's no way they could all be dead. That's impossible."

Aang, I think it was more like one-hundred fifteen. Mina stated softly. They lapsed into silence, the sound of snow crunching being the only real noise. The poor kid...he must've gotten frozen before the Fire Nation attacked. What a huge shock all this must be to him. I'm so sorry Aang, I really am. But there's nothing we can do about it anymore. Not with the Avatar gone. Was there really any way to console him? Mina wasn't all-too sure of that.

Hey guys, we're here. Eager to change the subject, Detrin spoke up as they were surrounded by Fire Nation shipwrecks. They were all frozen in ice, whether partially or wholly. It created a spacious protection from the wind and snow. Sliding off the armadillo lion, Detrin led the small group to the largest overhang. This would have to do.

One hundred and fifteen years? The young airbender dropped the reins in shock. No, no. That was impossible. The airbenders were still alive because... they were unreachable. Yes, that was it. They had to be alive and just hiding. That was all. "Yeah, the Avatar," He muttered, the comment not helping him feel better in any way. Just guilty.

His attention turned upwards when they arrived at the shipwrecks. "Oh no," he whispered, shocked by this sight. The Fire nation had really been invading and attacking people? He stood up and leapt off of Appa's head, quickly leaping up to the top of the nearest ship with the aid of his airbending as Appa shuffled under the overhang and laid down. He crouched down and stared at the ships around them in shock, absolutely horrified. Why had all of this happened? Everything seemed so peaceful and now everything had gone all wrong!

[Perhaps Toph is sent on an errand/ her work gang is moved to a different area? Or maybe she just gets fed up and fakes a cave-in so she can run? After all - who would care about one blind Earth Bender?..

That does give me an idea...... I'm assuming Toph was in the mine that they headed to originally]

Toph had started work and was about one third of the way into her shift, when it happened. The light show that heralded the release of the Avatar had created an atmospheric disturbance which dislodged some of the supports in the coastal mining zone. This resulted in a very weak ceiling.

Toph could sense the change in the rocks around her.My way out perhaps?

Shouts for more supports to found and for temporary Earthbending reinforcement - they may not care about the workers, but they did care about productivity - gave her the opening she needed. Stepping closer to the wall, Toph tapped into her own ability - she was almost always using it on a passive level anyway. She had to - just to be able to work.

It had made a point of contention between the higher ranking Fire officials as to whether it was unauthorised Bending or a natural adjustment to her condition.

With so many Earthbenders around it would be nearly impossible to trace the source. It was easy for Toph - a small prod at the weakest point and it cascaded. In the confusion and dust, Toph was able to slip away. Her ankle chains did make it awkward however.

Slipping into a side tunnel, Toph settled down to wait out the aftermath and to find out if she could get rid of the chains.

That took some concentration, but she was able to find some impurities in the clasps. Impurities which responded to her Earth Bending. The resulting snap was loud to her ears, but it seemed that most of the attention was elsewhere.

Taking the smaller tunnels - air vents really - Toph headed for the surface. It may be cold and icy - but it was certainly better than being a slave. Assuming she didn't get caught again.....

Edited by Takhesis

((I'm thinking about adding a water bender character. And, personally, I like the second one.))

[The cave in is certainly more dramatic and very suited to her canon abilities. Also she was capable of MetalBending - when she found herself in a cage lol]

((Alright, cool. Maybe you could have her escape and meet up with the rest of the group by the abandoned Fire nation ships. They probably wouldn't be too far off since they walked away to the entrance of the mine to the ships.))

[sounds good to me, @claw feel free to have your characters know Toph from the mines.]

Leaving the mine system took the longest part of Toph's journey. Mainly because she wanted to avoid any patrols and even her fellow workers. It wasn't unusual for one to sell out another in exchange for considerations - like more rations. Toph couldn't take the chance - she hated the idea of betrayal - even more so when it was someone that should be a friend.

Once on the surface she took a circuitous route, trusting the ice wouldn't give way and to make it more difficult for someone to track her. Her first thought was for shelter - somewhere away from the Fire Guards.

Her eyes may have been useless, but she trusted her feet to carry her to where she needed to be. That and her other senses.

Her path took her to the ship graveyard. Wasn't a pleasant place - due to the memories it invoked, but it would serve.

Once both benders had slid off Saret's back, the Armadillo Lion settled down beside Appa. The big creature didn't seem to be all that hostile, so he deemed it safe. In return, Detrin sat down beside Saret with a sigh. This was all just so depressing. He didn't like to think about depressing topics. The young man ran his fingers through his messy blonde hair as he thought.

Mina remained standing, her eyes trained on Aang. Although her expression was firm, worry shone in her eyes. She had a sort of motherly streak about her(as it was proven with Detrin), which made her inclined to worry about children teenagers. Hey, 's alright. Don't get too down about it. As long as we keep ya disguised, everything'll be fine. Her attempts to cheer Aang up were interrupted by Detrin. The young man had stood up when he spotted a not-so-distant figure and began to jog towards it. A few seconds into running could his voice be heard.

Toph? What are you doing out here? Isn't this your shift?

Aang wasn't one to easily fall in sour moods but this was all too much. He looked around at all of the marooned ships then down at the arrows on his hand. Absolutely not. All of the other airbenders were alive, he was sure of that. Just because no one had seen an airbender didn't mean they were gone. They were just hiding. And the world didn't need him. They certainly didn't need him. He looked away, wrapping his arms around his legs and resting his chin on his knees. A few breaths later to calm himself and he quickly stood up again and jumped off the building with a smile. If he pretended to be happy, it would make others happy too. As soon as Appa was feeling better, he could go back home and prove them all wrong too. "Don't worry," He replied, forcing a smile. "I'm fine. I'll just go home and find everyone."

Toph recognised the cadence of Detrin's footfalls as he approached. As well as his voice.

"It was my shift. Cave in." She answered shortly, "I escaped in the confusion. The guards should think I'm dead - if they even think of me at all."

She then smiled, "I could ask you what you are doing outside. After curfew no less - but I think I know the answer to that one."

"Exploring and getting away from the monotony of the camps. Am I right?"

"And if you're here Mina can't be far away."

The older blind Earth Bender let Detrin guide her at that point, even if he knew she could see without eyes. If only because Mina was likely to insist that she be aided. It wasn't usually a good idea to argue with any Fire Bender - especially one with maternal instincts.

Pride could only go so far in the face of that.

She didn't have the heart to tell Aang otherwise. Mina carefully masked her worry and instead offered the Airbender a small smile. It was all she was able to muster. A familiar voice made the woman turn her head to see Detrin and Toph. Toph? What was she doing out so far in the cold? Detrin answered this before she could ask.

Cave-in. She saw her chance and bolted. Mina merely nodded at the information, tucking it away for later planning. Toph didn't have to go back because she's presumed dead, and now with the flying bision, they had a chance to leave for good. If that was okay with Aang, of course. Speaking of which...Namina turned to Aang and gestured to Toph.

This is Toph Beifong. She's one of the best Earthbenders in the workforce. she explained. Toph was indeed a skilled Earthbender. Many a day Mina had sat and listened to Detrin and Toph share tips about Earthbending. Even if there was a ten-year difference between them, they connected well on the topic of Earthbending.

Aang turned his head as Detrin returned with a little girl that he introduced as Toph. "It's nice to meet you," He said with a smile. "My name's Aang," He beamed at the girl, the news of the Airbenders thrown to the back of his mind. Everything had really changed in the future. But everything seemed fine to him. He turned to Appa and quickly jumped over to him to inspect the sky bison. Appa groaned loudly as Aang patted his head. "Hey buddy," He muttered, looking him over. He'd need some time to rest. Probably a day or so. "Appa and I are going to leave tomorrow to go to the Southern Air Temples. If you like, you could come with me. I'm sure the monks wouldn't mind you staying since we're friends." He addressed this to Mina, mostly, though it was invitation to the other two, even the new Earth Bender. He was always willing to make new friends.

((I'm okay with anorher person, I'd just prefer to keep this a moderately small RP.

Aslo, I'm gonna wait until Tak posts before I reply.))

((Alright, you can join as a non bender if you can keep up. I like these to be very quick.

Unless, shadow, do you want to branch off? We could open this to everyone since a lot of people want to join and go off on our own so we have a small and a large. Just an option.))

((One small and one large doesn't bother me. I just don't want to see this die because there's a lot of people in it.))

Username:LeviathinGeneral

Name: Torin

History: Raised in the fire nation, he is half fire bender and half earth bender. His father was a war marshal for the imperial army 7 years prior to this, but left after seeing innocent villages burned to the ground. His father was killed by fire benders while protecting Torin's mother, an earth bender who attacked a soldier who killed a earth bending child because she was bending pebbles.

Personality: Revengeful, Shy, secretive.

Element: (Prodigy Fire {Lightning})

Appearance: Black hair, black eyes, 6 foot 5. Wears black and red.

Side: Rebel

Pets: A Saber tooth moose lion named Sword and a Raven eagle named Arrow

Other:He is currently hiding out in the Western Air temple.

So am i allowed or not? I am a big fan of avatar.

((Yes, that is allowed. We are now OPEN for business. Bring all your benders and nonbenders in!

One note but you probably should have him not start in the Western Air temple. First of all, it's hidden and impossible to reach by normal means. And second, everyone is in the South pole now.))

Edited by pudding

(((Okay then how about i am riding a stolen fire glider ship and crash?) Also is it alright of i have two pets?)and that i am a prodigy fire bender?)

Edited by LeviathinGeneral

(((Okay then how about i am riding a stolen fire glider ship and crash?) Also is it alright of i have two pets?)and that i am a prodigy fire bender?)

((What the heck is a fire glider ship? The Fire nation has airships but those are managed by many people and animals wouldn't fit inside of the hallways. Your Raven eagle is fine but Saber tooth moose lions are wild animals and very hostile. It is unlikely they would be kept as a pet. The prodigy thing is fine as long as it isn't OP. You still have weaknesses and such.))