Sign in to follow this  
Aquenee

Town of Salem

You can play it with anyone o.O

You just enter the game and get grouped with random people. It's not so bad because once you're in the game you have a nickname and no one knows who you are, anyway =P

I haven't played Town of Salem in so long! I used to play it all the time but all the annoying trolls, and people who sold out their own teams when they were mafia (like wtf?) were so annoying that I stopped. I do really miss the game though, there were some amazing times.

Once as a werewolf I somehow managed to kill like 4 or 5 people in one night--multiple people went to investigate/lookout someone suspicious along with the janitor and mafia. It was ridiculously lucky.

I haven't played Town of Salem in so long! I used to play it all the time but all the annoying trolls, and people who sold out their own teams when they were mafia (like wtf?) were so annoying that I stopped. I do really miss the game though, there were some amazing times.

Once as a werewolf I somehow managed to kill like 4 or 5 people in one night--multiple people went to investigate/lookout someone suspicious along with the janitor and mafia. It was ridiculously lucky.

Omg, I had a game like that once xd.png the jailor jailed someone and everyone who visited the jailor that night BUT the jailor died that night because of the bodyguard.

I have a lot of good memories because of this game, I joined not long after it came out after I saw Minx play it. Lots of good games and made quite a few friends on the forums.

Unfortunately, the bad memories outweigh the good and learning the devs basically don't care about the player base and care only about the money, even going so far as to threaten to remove power from the forum mods if the mods dared to ban Youtubers who were caught cheating, was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me and I haven't played since last summer.

I have a lot of good memories because of this game, I joined not long after it came out after I saw Minx play it. Lots of good games and made quite a few friends on the forums.

Unfortunately, the bad memories outweigh the good and learning the devs basically don't care about the player base and care only about the money, even going so far as to threaten to remove power from the forum mods if the mods dared to ban Youtubers who were caught cheating, was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me and I haven't played since last summer.

I think the reason why the reason the devs did this was partly because of me. You see, I did stream this at one point and was going to do a collection video of me winning at every role until I made mention of it in the forums. The mods however told me it was cheating if I told my viewers who or what I was if I didn't have a full party at the time. That's the main reason I quit the game and quickly got rid of it.

The game is fun but it does have a toxic community ninja.gif

You just know if someone with a really dumb name lives for too long that they're an evil role.

Also I don't really understand why everyone hates vampires so much ~ the amount of gamethrowers with vampire roles is too darn high rolleyes.gif

And lately everyone lets Executioners win~ but when I get to be that role no one would lynch my target xd.png

I do like the change of the Disguiser Mafia role ~ now it's really confusing if they die and pretend to be someone else laugh.gif

Well if sometimes anyone wants to play with me ~ I'm "FoxintheBox4"

*well there are still many who skype and stream the game ~ usually advertise themselves in their wills ~~ even link their snapchats and everything rolleyes.gif

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

I think the reason why the reason the devs did this was partly because of me. You see, I did stream this at one point and was going to do a collection video of me winning at every role until I made mention of it in the forums. The mods however told me it was cheating if I told my viewers who or what I was if I didn't have a full party at the time. That's the main reason I quit the game and quickly got rid of it.

Maybe, maybe not. This is basically what was revealed on the forums, after a group of people, including forum mods, wanted some YouTubers punished for cheating;

Big YouTubers/Streamers; Get immunity. They can't be punished for cheating because they bring in new players, and any mod who tried to would be removed (this came from one of the mods).

Smaller YouTubers/Streamers; Fair game for banning and unfair treatment. One Youtuber was banned for reporting and blocking a "fan" when he caught them cheating in one of his games. The fan turned out to be a dev's girlfriend and the YouTuber was banned immediately because the block was treated as "harassment".

@Wolfgirlys; You think the in-game community is toxic? Trust me, the forums are worse. Favouritism and unfairness is rife on there.

Edited by CharonDusk

Maybe, maybe not. This is basically what was revealed on the forums, after a group of people, including forum mods, wanted some YouTubers punished for cheating;

Big YouTubers/Streamers; Get immunity. They can't be punished for cheating because they bring in new players, and any mod who tried to would be removed (this came from one of the mods).

Smaller YouTubers/Streamers; Fair game for banning and unfair treatment. One Youtuber was banned for reporting and blocking a "fan" when he caught them cheating in one of his games. The fan turned out to be a dev's girlfriend and the YouTuber was banned immediately because the block was treated as "harassment".

@Wolfgirlys; You think the in-game community is toxic? Trust me, the forums are worse. Favouritism and unfairness is rife on there.

Then I'm glad I quit the game then otherwise I might have eventually been banned from the game as well because if I was explaining how a role would work to one of my viewers, that's classified as 'cheating'

Then I'm glad I quit the game then otherwise I might have eventually been banned from the game as well because if I was explaining how a role would work to one of my viewers, that's classified as 'cheating'

Which it really shouldn't be :/ I mean, if they're not playing but want to play in the future, how is explaining a role to them cheating? But if a big YouTuber or Streamer did it, it would be perfectly fine. :|

Yeah, the game itself was fun, but the money-hungry devs ruined it.

Which it really shouldn't be :/ I mean, if they're not playing but want to play in the future, how is explaining a role to them cheating? But if a big YouTuber or Streamer did it, it would be perfectly fine. :|

Yeah, the game itself was fun, but the money-hungry devs ruined it.

I think you misunderstand and I might have been wording it wrong. If I was in Discord with the viewer and tmit was their first time playing and they don't know their role, they would ask me and I would tell them. And because we were not a full party, that was classified as cheating

Ah right. In that case, yes, it's cheating because it's basically the same as Skyping; you're sharing information outside of the game that the other players aren't able to see.

Ah right. In that case, yes, it's cheating because it's basically the same as Skyping; you're sharing information outside of the game that the other players aren't able to see.

In my opinion it's stupid. Yes, I understand where it'd be cheating, but none of my viewers or I would go to the extreme of gamethrowing.

In my opinion it's stupid. Yes, I understand where it'd be cheating, but none of my viewers or I would go to the extreme of gamethrowing.

You might not, but the number of people who would is....pertty high. For every game I played, there were at least 5 more with someone gamethrowing in some way or another. :|

Edited by CharonDusk

One Youtuber was banned for reporting and blocking a "fan" when he caught them cheating in one of his games. The fan turned out to be a dev's girlfriend and the YouTuber was banned immediately because the block was treated as "harassment".

Oh, if you are talking about who I think you are, the harrassment part was because he revealed their relationship in the forums, when the dev in question had talked to him about it in private. He didn't deserve the in-game ban, but the forum ban was deserved imo. He was a bit toxic himself and only really started complaining about BMG when they stopped doing what he wanted.

Aside from that, BMG has horrible staff members in general. Some of their mods have no consideration for the community. One even insulted me in the subreddit a year ago or so because I expressed my opinion on metagaming and he didn't agree with it. When I asked him why he was acting like that more people replied to me and told me he's always unprofessional like that. I also stay away from the forum because the people there are too... Elitist I guess.

It's a great game and I love playing it, but I wish some things were different or that some other company made something similar. I tried EpicMafia and the rounds there are a joke. There's no discussion, just random lynching and random shooting. And since some rounds show your username, if you are a new guy you will most likely be killed night 1. But it has so many interesting roles, it's a shame.

I complain and complain about the staff, the gamethrowers, the metagamers, the horribly broken success rate of the evil roles, but in the end I always come back to play it once or twice per day. It's like a curse.

Oh, if you are talking about who I think you are, the harrassment part was because he revealed their relationship in the forums, when the dev in question had talked to him about it in private. He didn't deserve the in-game ban, but the forum ban was deserved imo. He was a bit toxic himself and only really started complaining about BMG when they stopped doing what he wanted.

Aside from that, BMG has horrible staff members in general. Some of their mods have no consideration for the community. One even insulted me in the subreddit a year ago or so because I expressed my opinion on metagaming and he didn't agree with it. When I asked him why he was acting like that more people replied to me and told me he's always unprofessional like that. I also stay away from the forum because the people there are too... Elitist I guess.

Probably be the same YouTuber, yeah, but either way, if the girlfriend was cheating, she should've been punished, not the YouTuber. Plus, yeah, the forum ban might've been deserved, but in that case, why wasn't another YouTuber, whose first and only posts on the forum were to verbally assault and harass a member who had reported him for cheating, to the point where the member left? :| And it wasn't the last time I saw the devs play favourites, either.

I don't know if the reddit and the forum have the same mods so I might or might not know the mod you were insulted by, but the forum mods are....a mixed bunch. Some are really nice, others aren't. I even had one mod, when talking to me about something I'd done that was "against the rules" but another mod was doing the same, basically tell me "They're a mod, they can do what they want".

I will give the other mod their due, though, they were REALLY angry when I told them that he was playing favourites. And it wasn't the first time that particular mod had done it, either, going off what another mod told me.

And you don't even want to know about the "February" incident.

When I first started, there was a bunch of really nice people (several of whom I still talk to), but as time went on and the place got bigger, the original group started to leave and the ones replacing them....a few were nice, they honestly were, but they were few and far between. It's....not a good place anymore. I used to play and help on a sub-section for games based on Danganronpa, which were pretty popular, but once the toxicity started there, too, that was when I left. I didn't want to see something I had watched grow from the very beginning devolve like the rest of the forum. And don't even get me started on the Forum Mafia games. Heard a LOT of stories about them...

....Yeah, as you can probably tell, I'm pretty vocal about that place. I don't think of myself as even remotely toxic, but the ToS Forums bring out the worst in me, which is why I left. Which is a shame, because the game IS fun, and I honestly wouldn't mind playing a few rounds with people here.

Edited by CharonDusk

I just had to create an entirely new account because no matter what I did my old one would not let me log in, anyone else had this issue?

Anyway, I tend to stay away from the ToS forums, and tbh, if I see people being "idiots" and spamming dumb stuff in the chat before a game starts I immediately leave :I

Would be cool to play with DC people though... name themes could be based off of dragon breeds. xd.png

I just had to create an entirely new account because no matter what I did my old one would not let me log in, anyone else had this issue?

Would be cool to play with DC people though... name themes could be based off of dragon breeds. xd.png

I can still log into my account ~

OMG that would be so awesome laugh.gif I'm all up for that if we could gather enough people cool.gif

SK Cheese ~ eat or be eaten ninja.gif

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

Probably be the same YouTuber, yeah, but either way, if the girlfriend was cheating, she should've been punished, not the YouTuber. Plus, yeah, the forum ban might've been deserved, but in that case, why wasn't another YouTuber, whose first and only posts on the forum were to verbally assault and harass a member who had reported him for cheating, to the point where the member left? :| And it wasn't the last time I saw the devs play favourites, either.

I don't know if the reddit and the forum have the same mods so I might or might not know the mod you were insulted by, but the forum mods are....a mixed bunch. Some are really nice, others aren't. I even had one mod, when talking to me about something I'd done that was "against the rules" but another mod was doing the same, basically tell me "They're a mod, they can do what they want".

I will give the other mod their due, though, they were REALLY angry when I told them that he was playing favourites. And it wasn't the first time that particular mod had done it, either, going off what another mod told me.

And you don't even want to know about the "February" incident.

When I first started, there was a bunch of really nice people (several of whom I still talk to), but as time went on and the place got bigger, the original group started to leave and the ones replacing them....a few were nice, they honestly were, but they were few and far between. It's....not a good place anymore. I used to play and help on a sub-section for games based on Danganronpa, which were pretty popular, but once the toxicity started there, too, that was when I left. I didn't want to see something I had watched grow from the very beginning devolve like the rest of the forum. And don't even get me started on the Forum Mafia games. Heard a LOT of stories about them...

....Yeah, as you can probably tell, I'm pretty vocal about that place. I don't think of myself as even remotely toxic, but the ToS Forums bring out the worst in me, which is why I left. Which is a shame, because the game IS fun, and I honestly wouldn't mind playing a few rounds with people here.

Well, the thing with the forums and the game is they're connected to each other so if you get banned on the forums, you get banned from the game.

Well, the thing with the forums and the game is they're connected to each other so if you get banned on the forums, you get banned from the game.

I actually wasn't sure about this one because I had seen people with in-game bans post on the forums, so I went and asked. Direct quote from a mod here; "If you are banned ingame you can still post where ever you want, but if you wish to appeal your ban, the appeal section is the only way.

If yo ureceived a Forum ban you can still play ingame as is nothing was, as you were only banned for the forum section."

So in a nutshell, even though the accounts are linked, a ban in one doesn't mean a ban in the other.

Edited by CharonDusk

I love Town of Salem! I get addicted to that game. The only issue I've come across is freezing on the Steam version, and even that's rare. I think my favorite role is Jester, even if I'm not great at it.

Edited by Acclivius

Sooooo. Just played my first game in the better part of a year, and I just effectively made the mafia ragequit by being a troll-Jailor.

So they released the expansion. Have you guys been trying it out?

I keep getting classic roles, but I've won as Guardian Angel 3 times. I played it before on the test server and I was almost every role there, but in the live version I seem to keep getting roles like sheriff, lookout and vigilante lol

The new roles make the game more fun than with the typical mafia, in my opinion. I don't think the rolelists are that ideal yet though. With all of these new roles, I think rotating rolelists for each mode would be better honestly.

However, despite really liking this expansion, it seems to me that it was just made to fight Throne of Lies (which honestly is pretty sucky and I doubt it will ever be competition unless they massively screw up). The fact that it costs extra gives it a bitter taste as well, specially after the division of the coins by making almost every customization item only obtainable with real currency. I understand they need money for the servers, don't get me wrong, but I was used to the old model of the game and they are introducing way too many money-only extras at once.

--------

There's also a rumor about a new achievement for the Coven. Supposedly if no one picks a name, everyone gets an achievement. But I wasn't able to verify if it's true or not yet, since people keep trolling all attemps lol

Edited by LaHaine

However, despite really liking this expansion, it seems to me that it was just made to fight Throne of Lies (which honestly is pretty sucky and I doubt it will ever be competition unless they massively screw up). The fact that it costs extra gives it a bitter taste as well, specially after the division of the coins by making almost every customization item only obtainable with real currency. I understand they need money for the servers, don't get me wrong, but I was used to the old model of the game and they are introducing way too many money-only extras at once.

Have I tried it? No, because I am not giving BMG any money, especially not when the "expansion" costs as much as the base game.

Considering the expansion was announced not that long after the admins apparently implemented a policy of punishing anyone even MENTIONING games like ToL, as well as a few other things, under the guise of the "No Spam/Advertising" rule, I honestly believe The Coven was made solely for the purpose of competing with ToL. And don't even get me started on the whole "Need money" thing, not after some of the stuff I've heard...

Speaking of this, I made a comment about one of the subforums I used to help out in back in January, found out yesterday from someone still there that it has well and truly gone to dung. sad.gif Sad, it had so many good memories...

Edited by CharonDusk

I play this but havent in awhile i know there is a witches added but only played when it was WW, vamp, and VH. 

Sign in to follow this