nlechoppa

Liver

Discuss all kinds of liver. From the nastiest to the best. Even the dishes made with them. And how to clean those dishes. No overdosage of vitamin a pls.

Polar bear livers are very lethal, indeed. :B

Other than that, yuck, liver. For me, it's nasty in any incarnation.

I only ate liver once in my life. My grandmother on my father's side attempted to force my brother and I to eat that instead of the Wendy's my mother bought for us to eat when my grandmother was babysitting us.

She tried to tell us it was fried chicken. But even as a kid I was not easy to fool. My brother and I refused to eat it.

My tastes have changed over the years, but I will still never eat an internal organ like Liver. Ugh... so unpleasant a thought.

I love liver oh my gosh.

I don't really understand why it's, like, such a standard "nasty food" for so many people? Besides the possibility of being squeamish about internal organs, I don't really see why. And I don't have that problem because I'm Chinese (seriously, we eat everything. Tongues. Stomach lining. Entire cicadas.).

A couple of nice, tasty fried chicken livers now and again is delicious. They're so rich that one or three is about all I can handle. All other livers, forget it!

(seriously, we eat everything. Tongues. Stomach lining. Entire cicadas.).

Oh my! I guess it's all about what you grow up with..

Edited by MedievalMystic

I think why many people get squeamish about organ meat is they have either never tried or in my case been served very badly cooked meat and that just throws you off. If liver is not reasonably well done and still a little raw in the center most people won't eat it.

Can't stand any type of liver. It's the smell. I always still try it though, just in case I find some I like. I've had chicken livers at a few fine dining restaurants and I still can't stand them. The smell of cooked liver makes me sick. I've never tried fois gras though, so maybe I would like that. But so far I've hated all the liver I have ever tried.

Plain liver is kinda gross, but I like small amounts of it cooked with other things sometimes.

I don't really understand why it's, like, such a standard "nasty food" for so many people? Besides the possibility of being squeamish about internal organs, I don't really see why. And I don't have that problem because I'm Chinese (seriously, we eat everything. Tongues. Stomach lining. Entire cicadas.).

It's the smell and the taste of it that I find nasty, not what I "grew up with".

Tongue is good meat, though.

fois gras

YUM! smile.gif I'll eat all kinds of pate', calves, goose, you name it. Just not the liver in one piece, except for chicken.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Plain liver is kinda gross, but I like small amounts of it cooked with other things sometimes.

This is pretty much my opinion on liver.

I love liver (beef or pork) but not a fan of chicken livers.

Tounge makes some of the best sandwiches you ever ate.

I cooked a beef heart in a slow cooker once.Sliced it thin.

We had company that day for dinner.They asked me where i got the venison. lmao

Liver is yum yum yummy. I love liver. I want some RIGHT NOW. GIMME ! Ideally with onions.

90% of those who don't like it were taught not to by their parents. I well recall being in a supermarket queue with my girls when they were 2 and 4, and I had liver and spinach in my cart and the woman behind me said "My goodness, my children won't eat that..."While I was starting to say "Why not - won't you eat it yourself ?" my youngest took her thumb out of her mouth and announced helpfully "I wikes pinnich", while the other one grabbed the liver and hugged it nervously - I think she thought the woman might take it away !

90% of those who don't like it were taught not to by their parents.

If by taught you mean 'have terrible cooks for parents', then definitely. I thought I didn't like steak until I was an adult because my parents would always cook it well done and beyond because they thought you could get sick if there were any red/pink parts. You could break windows with their steaks. There have been so many foods I've had to rediscover in my adulthood because my parents tainted them with their poor cooking. I even thought I hated lasagna because my mom would buy this terrible frozen kind from the grocery store. But I imagine liver and most organ meat is something the huge majority of people have no idea how to prepare properly.

I have had liver done at a couple dining restaurants and even though it was much less awful than when my parents made it, it was definitely not enjoyable. That texture, that smell, that metallic taste ... I just can't stand it.

If by taught you mean 'have terrible cooks for parents', then definitely. I thought I didn't like steak until I was an adult because my parents would always cook it well done and beyond because they thought you could get sick if there were any red/pink parts. You could break windows with their steaks. There have been so many foods I've had to rediscover in my adulthood because my parents tainted them with their poor cooking. I even thought I hated lasagna because my mom would buy this terrible frozen kind from the grocery store. But I imagine liver and most organ meat is something the huge majority of people have no idea how to prepare properly.

I have had liver done at a couple dining restaurants and even though it was much less awful than when my parents made it, it was definitely not enjoyable. That texture, that smell, that metallic taste ... I just can't stand it.

I think a lot of parents "know" they don't like it and so don't cook it at all, or feed it to their children because "it's yucky" and children grow up "knowing" that too. I know that when they used to do it for school dinners, many didn't like it - I did, but then, I already knew I did. smile.gif Some days it wasn't done that well, and some days it was plain tough (schools saving money...) but on the whole, as I knew I liked it, I'd give it another chance.

How to cook it is well covered in every last cookbook I own. Well, except the veggie ones (my SO is veggie). But people don't seem to READ cookbooks these days. Weird.... Guess they just read the instructions on the box from the freezer.

I agree - I have never had liver because my parents detest it (or, at least they say they do, I don't know if they've eaten it, either), and when I was younger, I would absolutely say I hated it! I think I more hated the thought of eating it, though.

I didn't know people ate liver until the one time my dad's mother forced me to eat some. And no one told me it was liver at the time. I tasted it and immediately spit it out because I didn't like the taste. I didn't actually find out it was liver until many years later when my mom and I were talking about it and she told me it was liver.

So my dislike for liver as a child was strictly because I didn't like the taste. Had nothing to do with being told I won't like it.

Nowadays I don't eat stuff like that mainly because I don't like the texture of it. I'll try stuff more often than not. Heck a month or two ago I tried chicken gizzards and hearts. I couldn't eat em. xd.png

My mom LOVES liver. Loves loves loves it. As far as I know, she's never actually cooked it for the family but I know it was her favorite food at least when she was younger. I wouldn't eat it myself; I'm a vegetarian anyway but also have a really bad fear of organs/blood and such so if I knew I was being served it I would get too worked up. :/

Mine is damaged.

Polar bear livers are very lethal, indeed. :B

Other than that, yuck, liver. For me, it's nasty in any incarnation.

So are husky dog livers. Basically, almost every arctic animal's liver. Not sure about penguins. They need a lot of vitamin A to survive in the cold.

I am all for healthy human liver surviving in one's body or transplants being successful, but yuck to eating any kind of liver. Boarding school served it once or twice a month (the beef kind) with onions and mashed potatoes and some green. Kids who liked it were extremely full that night as usually you were lucky to have one kid at each table who liked it to eat 7 people's food. My diabetic sister hated it and was watched until she ate hers, so she wouldn't get sick.

My younger sister adores chicken livers and served them at her wedding, both of them. I left them on the buffet table both times. I also left the caviar. Yuck to both.

It tastes awful and the texture is just gross. Just my opinion. laugh.gif

One of my favourite dish is called "bianco e nero" (white and black) and basically is lamb liver and lungs cooked together with soft bread soaked in vinegar.

At the end it looks like

http://www.buttalapasta.it/articolo/ricett...o-e-nero/15009/

Awesome - thanks. I shall translate that and make it some time when he is out (he is veggie, but I am very not !)

I won't eat liver. Why on earth would I want to eat anything's toxin filter? v:

I don't like the smell or look though anyway, so I wouldn't touch it to begin with just based on that. I avoid internal organ dishes and less than well done meats in general.