Kùtötu

The True Name Oath

Because Dragons deserve equality.

The Laws of the True Name are a set of rules which allow for fair and varied naming of every dragon. By signing the Oath you agree that you name your dragons according to the Laws set out below.

Laws of the True Name:

i. Every (adult) dragon must have at least two names and up to four names; a personal name, a mid-family name, a family name, and an optional lineage name.

ii. A dragon's name will reflect its personality and species, whether it is with a word or a tone.

iii. A bred dragon will inherit its mothers family name as its family name, and father's as mid-family, but with a new personal name.

iv. Cave-borns shall only have a personal name as a hatchling and gain their family name at adulthood.

v. A dragon's name must be original, unique and respectful.

vi. Every dragon must have a name by adulthood.

vii. A lineage name will be passed down to every generation below in that particular family.

Take the Oath:

[i]I, (yourname) swear to take the oath of the True Name, that I have read and will withhold the laws of the True Name, and treat my dragons with the respect of an equal.[/i]

Oath Takers:

Andy12

Jascuty

Kùtötu

Edited by Kùtötu

Apologies, but the idea seems great, and I would take the oath... However, it would require me tore name all of my dragons to format. I like the idea, but it may be seen as too restrictive also. I would recommend making this a personal naming scheme, though I enjoy your idea!

Take care.

Interesting idea, but it would require me to rename more than 7,000 dragons, and I like the names than I have given mine.

I am sure that this idea will have a lot of supporters, and I wish you well with it.

Interesting idea, but it would require me to rename more than 7,000 dragons, and I like the names than I have given mine.

I am sure that this idea will have a lot of supporters, and I wish you well with it.

I am in the same situation as PrincessLucy, with over 3700 named dragons, but I would be interested in seeing examples of these naming patterns. I am curious about how you (Kutotu) define "mid-family name," since I am not familiar with that designation.

@ Kutotu - My apologies on leaving the accents out of your name, but I don't have those options on my keyboard. Good luck with this project! smile.gif

7,000 dragons? Wow. Yeah, if I had that many I wouldn't commit to naming them differently.

I name the dragons in my scroll with this pattern. Unfortunately, since I am relatively new, there is only one inbred adult- Jira Tuli Katal. Jira is her personal name, which is by choice similar to her mother's name. Tuli (mid-family) is her father's family name, and Katal is her mother's family name. I have no proper lineages, so no dragons have a lineage name.

I only say mid-family to distinguish from family. It is, effectively, a second family name, but in the middle of the full name.

Edited by Kùtötu

This is an interesting idea, but I do not see many people naming their hatchlings with only a personal name, and then changing it when they grow to adulthood. I reserve my names, ans once my designated egg hatches, I give them the reserved name before someone else takes it. That is my only problem with that rule.

I think it's an interesting idea, but for me not doable. Currently I already have trouble naming dragons for my Souldream Healers lineage, since I use "of Souldream Healers" as a suffix. And with only 32 characters possible, I wouldn't be able to also give a midfamily and a family name as well, besides a personal name. And I've got two more lineage examples with which it simply wouldn't be possible.....

Great idea though.

BTW, why wouldn't you already give your (gendered) hatchling it's full name, including its familyname?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean with "unique". Currently no two dragons can have the same name. TJ has prevented that. Of couse you can have the same name with extra names in two dragons lie:

Angie of Souldream Healers

Angie of Pillow Cottons.

But only "Angie" can't be used on two dragons at the same time.

I, Andy12 swear to take the oath of the True Name, that I have read and will withhold the laws of the True Name, and treat my dragons with the respect of an equal.

I like this idea. Maybe you could make some banners... ?

I have to admit, I have no interest in taking this oath; I don't see how giving my dragons "at least two names" is somehow significantly more respectful than one? Or is the byline of your thread meant purely in humour? smile.gif

Either way, I already support "If it has a face, it has a name".

Good luck, I guess. happy.gif

I have found out what I prefer now biggrin.gif Now all my dragons have a short personal name. If they're caveborn they get the prefix Lord or Lady (gender) and a new family suffix must be created for them. If they're not caveborn, they get their family name according to what gender they are. If they are female, they take their mother's family name. If they're male they take their father's. Dragons only get their family name once they gender.

Look on my scroll for examples.

So I hereby say...

I, Jascuty swear to take the oath of the True Name, that I have read and will withhold the laws of the True Name, and treat my dragons with the respect of an equal.

I know I sort of bend a few of the rules but I'm sure my names could still count as true names (hopefully).

Now for the long process of renaming 82 dragons :3 (At least I don't have 7000 like some people)...

Edited by Jascuty

I'll get to work on making some banners. If anybody else wants to try, you can as well.

On my scroll, I'm treating eggs that I get from Abandoned as cave-born and not using their parents names (Suril Data Icha?).

Yes, I was aware when I made this that it would be something that not many people would take. But it's an interesting naming scheme that I've used for quite a while now, and I just thought I'd share it.

Some things I thought of when reading these rules:

Rule #1:

- How do scroll prefixes / suffixes go with this?

- A warning: When it comes to trading eggs from specific lineages (especially longer lineages), you may notice the preference for short names in lineages since most people dislike scrolling sideways (shortnamed sample, 12 generations and longnamed sample, 6 generations). If you don't care about trading, this is obviously not an issue.

Rule #2:

- Why the species? I don't quite see many people around here that have "human" in their name. smile.gif

(I'm obviously not going to rename my >2500 dragons, especially since some of them have name systems that I grew fond of (see samples above biggrin.gif) that don't match your rules. But this might give some pointers to newish scroll owners who are still trying to figure out how to name their dragons in a way that allows following family lines. Have fun smile.gif)

Sorry, not taking the oath, I refuse to HAVE to name my dragons in any specific way. Besides that would require my REnaming well over two thousand beasts.

Unfortunately, not taking the oath you've presented -- six pages of dragons, some with unique snags that I absolutely adore, are not going to be renamed.

You should use this as a personal project, but it's a very small market.

Sadly there's no way I'd be able to take this oath. I have many, many dragons I'd need to rename. Not only do I not have the time for that, but many of my dragons have names that are likely unacceptable for this oath... and some of those names have special meaning to me or represent something so I would never be able to bring myself to change them.

I would if I could but I can't. I've got a lot of dragons too, and I already have a naming scheme I like and refuse to change.

With just a little bit of editing, this could have made for a good breeding project. Just curious as to why you didn't adapt this for a breeding project and went this route instead? ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

While it sounds like an interesting concept, I don't think I'll be taking this oath. It would take way too much effort for me to rename some 200 of my dragons, and I kind of like their names just the way they are.

I agree with Sock that this could make for a good breeding project idea, though.

Yes; yes it could.

One thing I missed - how exactly does this give dragons equality and respect?