Wolfpaw99

Sorcery & Merpeople

((Is it okay to have a character that's not a part of the kingdom but a wanderer instead?

Name: Skera

Personality: Rp'ed

Other:

Description/picture: Skera is a sea dragon type merman with a small, striped tail. He has freckles around his nose and shoulders and 'leafy' appendages hang off of his tail (Which doesn't have any visible tail fins and resembles the tail of a sea dragon. Instead of stopping suddenly around his hips, his tail and its coloring moves up his back, only stopping when it reaches where his curly, brown hair starts. Two large 'leaves' sprout from his head like antenna and he has a few patches of leaves around his wrists as well. He's quite small for a merman and, when hiding among plants, is hard to spot due to his natural camouflage. He has a large gasp running down his left side.))

((Go ahead pudding, Skera sounds adorable! Nomads would be fun to involve, since I have a feeling our merpeople don't really like being confined to their kingdom.

... Why is that? I know someone wanted to have the king or queen. Maybe there's some sort of problem happening? Wouldn't that be interesting?))

((Well Skera is entirely foreign and doesn't even know about the kingdom at all but that sounds cool. Political problems are fun.))

Norn was used to some strange-looking mermaids (The cuttlefish variety were really something to look at) but never had she seen one like this. The sorcerer had tried to pull out some reeds for one of her spells, only to find the reeds were attached to a small child. The small merchild let out a screech of fear and Norn quickly dropped it, looking around quickly. No one else was around, just her and the child. A bit taken back, Norn moved away from the weird, ferny-looking merboy as Skera looked on the verge of tears.

"Erm!" Sen attempted to stand, whirl around, and clasp his hands in front of him innocuously at the same time. He was fairly successful - except he ended up looking even more suspicious than before. "Your highness. Yes, uh, I'm - " Realizing that he had forgotten to bow, he dipped his head in what he hoped was a suitably deferential manner - "of noble heritage. I was, er." He blinked and peeked at the prince from under his bangs. There was nothing wrong with collecting shells, was there? But somehow that seemed like a silly thing to say to the prince. "Looking. For things." That was even worse, oh gods. He grinned like the idiot he was and hoped he wouldn't be arrested. That would be a new low, even for him.

((Ah. Curiosity: Why is Skera alone? Not that it matters, I'm just genuinely curious. I'm going to make another character to try and keep this moving.

Name: Arsen

Personality: I'd rather RP it out

Other: Arsen's family works for nobles, in particular, doctors. Arsen shows potential for magic, and aspires to be great at it one day.

Description/picture: Arsen has dark red hair that goes to half his shoulder blades, but is normally kept in a short ponytail, and blue-grey eyes. His lower half resembles an octopus, a blue-ringed octopus in particular. He also has a bio-luminescent tattoo, to represent the nobles his family works for.))

Nixes tilted his head. "Looking for things." He repeated. "Out here? For what purpose?" He asked. How odd. "What do you have in your bag?" He questioned. I must be scaring him, I am the prince, he thought. So, he smiled, and addded, "You're not in any trouble, I'd just like to know." This was turning out more awkward than he had intended.

((He got separated from his band of merry men (Aka, family) and ended up getting more lost trying to find them. Eventually, he just waited for them where he could blend in more easily in case danger arose.))

"Okay," Norn muttered, making a gesture with her hands to show everything was okay. "It's not kidnapping if he's lost," she muttered then turned back to boy. "Where are your parents?" She asked, staring at the small, very strange looking child. When he didn't respond other than sniffing a bit, she ran her fingers through her hair. "Where do you live in the kingdom?" she asked. No response either. "What's your name?" She asked finally.

"Skera," The little boy finally replied, rubbing his hands awkwardly together. "What's the kingdom?" He added with a frown, blinking innocently at the older mermaid.

"Oh, lovely. You're a foreigner." She looked a bit exasperated then quickly lifted the merchild up. "Alright, just don't make too much noise. We're going to try to find your family before anyone in the kingdom finds out and gets annoying paranoid."

((Hmmmmm...

Name: Lydia

Personality: Lydia isn't very strict and she believes in exploring things on your own. She will fight for what she thinks is right and tries to always think of the best for everyone. Even though it's not always the best.

Other: Sooo how's life?

Description/picture: Lydia has blonde hair and blue eyes. It's mostly in a fishtail braid that her mother taught her. Her tail is a beautiful blue.

...))

((That's fine, kingcobra2018. Thank you for joining us! Jump in at any time.))

Arsen wandered away from the kingdom, in search of plants for the doctors. "Find plants, bring them, don't do anything else, glub glub glub." He muttered, bitter about doing someone's dirty work. "No noble has to do anything as ridiculous as this. No sorcerer does either." He continued. "Speaking of, why do I need a tattoo? I'm no slave. I'm going to be a sorcerer, and bio-luminescence is pointless. If it's natural, you can't do magic, and anyway, it hurts to get the tattoo, and you just get spotted easier." He ranted. "All the more reason to protect them" He mimicked the answer of a knight. He continued to do his job, still frustrated by his rank, and the value people put on a little bit of light.

Edited by Wolfpaw99

Hearing a voice nearby, Norn looked up then quickly ushered the small merchild behind a rock. Why was she doing this? Why was she risking her neck for a little kid? She didn't even like children! "What are you doing so far from the kingdom?" Norn asked loudly as she spotted a merman.

Behind the rock, Skera quickly curled up in a ball so his leafy appendages resembled a plant. He wiggled his way into the sand, adding the illusion of him being nothing more than a plant.

Arsen tensed upon hearing the voice of an older mermaid, and then he spotted her. "I'm just collecting things for some doctors!" He answered as blue rings became apparent on his tentacles. What a brave merperson I am, he thought sarcastically. "Why are you so far from the kingdom?" He asked, knowing fully that he was in no position to be asking such questions.

"I live here, obviously," Norn drawled with a frown. "Sorcerers are usually not welcome in the kingdom. At least not powerful ones. I've grown my garden out here and peacefully live away from the babbling fools and their bioluminescent markings." She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, gesturing to his own markings. "I'd advise you leave and not touch my garden further. I do not care for the doctors and they are not allowed to touch my crops."

"Things." The conversation was beginning to get a little too long for Sen's attention span, and when that happened, he squirmed. His wrung his two longer tentacles together while the other eight swished about like some sort of spotted skirt. "Shells, mostly. Fish bones. Stuff. That's it really." Unconsciously, he'd floated a few centimeters backwards, eager to get back to his search. ""Is there...uh...I'm actually not supposed to be doing anything right now! This time at least! Honest." And you'd been doing so well. Get it together, Sen, you're talking to the prince! "Yeah. That's it." He nodded and scooted backward a bit more. He was going to die if his dad ever found out about this.

After cleaning the bowls from lunch Xavier smiled to the children as they left their parents outside the doorway. Nodding his head to his fellow knight he then moved swimming outside to stretch a bit. Turning he then tilted his head as he noticed a few figures in Norn's garden. As he moved closer he then settled on the rock that Skera was hiding behind. His gaze looking to the adults he then chuckled, "Lady Norn you should really put up some signs to let others know. That way the law would be on your side a bit more."

Norn turned her head quickly, a worried look crossing her face before she managed to hide her worry for the small child hidden only a few inches nearby. "If the law would be on my side, I would not be living out here in the first place," She replied, silently cursing when the 'plant' behind the rock trembled slightly. "I would prefer if you avoided sitting on the rocks. You'll disrupt the plant life."

"Sorry..." Arsen said silently. He glanced at the knight and then back at Norn. I've just been stuck between a powerful sorcerer, caught stealing what I didn't know was her's, and now one of the light worshiping idiots known as a knight shows up, great, he thought. Unsure of where he stood in all this, he began to inch way, hoping to go unnoticed. This is what being the bottom of the food chain feels like, he couldn't help but think.

Nixes quirked his eyebrow as he floated a little closer, to refill the space the noble had created. "You came out here, just to find... Shells... And fish bones?" He asked. "Alright... That's what you say..." He floated a little farther, to see if it would ease the other. "Only those things and the like? For no reason?" This sounds like an interrogation, good job, your highness, he thought sarcastically, I'm glad I could be such an unintimidating, easy to talk to, gentle king.

Skera had enough by this point and unfolded himself, quickly darting out from behind the rock and grabbing Norn's arm tightly. The mermaid drew in a sharp breath and rolled her eyes as the little boy held onto her arm tightly. "You were supposed to remain hidden," She said, glancing down at the boy.

"I got scared," He replied softly as he moved to hug her side instead, now clinging to her body completely.

Oh, great, another one, Arsen thought, he's probably her apprentice. Suddenly, he wasn't so tense about there being two adults of higher status around him. No, now he was envious, and a little confused. The plant had been a merperson? Some people had odd appendages, then again, the same went for Arsen. His lower half was made up of tentacles that could change colour, and the colour changing could even affect his skin. He himself was an odd one, all for the sake of camouflage. Edited by Wolfpaw99

Xavier frowned to Norn when she talked of him sitting on the rocks and had gone to move upright when the child darted from below him. Startling upright he then looked back over to her before he then spoke, " I know of how the law has failed you and for that I am sorry, but my hands are tied by the laws of the rulers." Shaking his head as he then looked to the other male.

"Ah, yes. The nobels compensate for not being able to use something by distancing those who can use magic to a greater degree. Sorcerer of the King. What a useless title that was when I was chased to the outer limits of the kingdom." She gestured almost lazily to the surrounding area then patted Skera on the head. "But let's not discuss such things. It will frighten the easily startled child I found among my plants. It seems everyone is dead set upon entering my garden this day." She glanced at the other merman then gestured him back over. "Why don't you take the boy? I certainly do not want him."

Xavier looked to her before he then spoke, " At least you are better then the previous Sorcerer of the King." Waving a hand to the top of his head where the horns that separated him from being a proper merman set. " When I was a knight in training I got blasted by your predecessor and presto chango I'm now undesirable. I'm strong enough to be a knight but not captain." Hearing of the easily startled child he looked down to him once more before he then looked up once more, " Are you talking to me or him when talking of the boy's placement?"

"Either would work," Norn replied. "But I suppose that's why they're all so cautious about me now. Sorcerer of the king is little more than a fake title designed to trap magic users in the limitations of upper class. I would be made into nothing more than a court jester if I did not live out here." She shooed the child away, trying to push him towards the guard. "I am bad with children. It would be better if one of you looked after him."

Her comment confused Arsen. "What do you mean 'nothing more than a court jester'? If you're the king's sorcerer, then that means that you're powerful, and that means that everyone should respect you." He claimed. Wait... Norn... Oh. Wait. She's the one no one does respect. Oh yeah. That makes sense now, he realized.

"Yes?" Sen tried. One of his tentacles lashed out and scattered a pile of pebbles. He winced - this happened all the time when he was nervous - and straightened his tentacles, trying to keep them in check. "I mean, you can't really just find them lying around in the city. And I want to...you know, make some jewelry, maybe find something out of the ordinary and add it to my collection. What are you out here for anyway? Oh, I mean - " He slapped a hand over his mouth. His dad was definitely going to murder him now. Well, since he was going to die in a matter of hours, might as well say what he wanted to. "Aren't princes usually busy with...I don't know...royal duties? I mean, uh, I'm really sorry and all, but we're kind of in the same situation here."