Naruhina_94

A little scroll view mistake

And also the position of the comma with the quote marks is indeed the American way - but this is an INTERNATIONAL site, even though TJ is in the States. Best be absolutely correct and LEAVE IT OUT !

No it is not an international site/game. It is American. If it were an actual international site/game, then the forums rules would permit people to write in languages other than the current English only. The scrolls would have settings permitting people to have the ability to choose what language their scrolls would show up in... there is no language settings. It is English only.

Edited by WraithZephyr

No it is not an international site/game.  It is American. If it were an actual international site/game, then the forums rules would permit people to write in languages other than the current English only. The scrolls would have settings permitting people to have the ability to choose what language their scrolls would show up in... there is no language settings. It is English only.

Maybe I'm wrong, but there is an optional function that allows you tu turn this official site in Ukrainian, so it is at least a bit international...

In my opinion we should follow the UK grammar rules, because they are more recognize in the world instead of the USA ones...

Why we are arguing on this? We could simple eliminate the comma and everybody would be fine instead of just only a part of the users...

Edited by Naruhina_94

No it is not an international site/game. It is American. If it were an actual international site/game, then the forums rules would permit people to write in languages other than the current English only. The scrolls would have settings permitting people to have the ability to choose what language their scrolls would show up in... there is no language settings. It is English only.

DC Localization is still ongoing.

I love how people are debating so much about this - whether we are an international site, whether this should be in the grammar thread...

Just remove the comma and everyone's happy.

I still maintain the comma is necessary. It's a compound sentence, and the subject to the second half is an understood "you."

Ehhh, I think this is a kind of iffy argument calling the comma necessary. There's not a lot out there talking about the understood subject and how it works with conjunctions and commas. I agree that is an understood subject, but written with the conjunction, it is much less clear which action should be taken grammar-wise. The second clause is not expressed as an independent clause.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/gra...mmarlogs396.htm

Should a comma be used before an 'and' when joining two ideas in a sentence?

Examples:

Jake is an attentive and co-operative student at all times, and has continued to make good progress in all areas this semester.

Sarah is a very capable reader. She applies herself well to all written tasks, and is always keen to participate in oral reading activities.

I am a primary school teacher and have just completed reports. I was told to make changes as a comma should never be used before 'and'. I have used it to show a pause between ideas.

Thank you

It's certainly an overstatement to say that you'd never use a comma before and. You do use a comma + and to connect two independent clauses and to connect the final element of a series. See the Rules for Comma Usage. In the sentences you give us, you don't really need the comma because the ideas you're adding together are not expressed as independent clauses. On the other hand, I think you can argue that the comma (especially in the first sentence) does make the sentence somewhat more readable by making the ideas slightly more discrete. This is more true of the first sentence because you have already used an and in your first "idea." If I were writing these sentences, I think I'd use a comma in the first sentence but not in the second.

So we could use the comma (yay flaky American English grammar rules!) - I'm not sure it can be considered fully necessary or unnecessary with this info - but I think it makes everything much neater to just get rid of it, personally.

I agree that is an understood subject.

Personally, I'm just content to know someone else knows what an understood subject is.

I did find this, though.

The first example from Gregg uses the conjunctive phrase "and then," which is a bit more heavy duty than a simple "and"; this explains why the comma is definitely needed in that sentence. The second sentence falls into that category of two independent clauses that are long and complex enough to warrant the use of the comma. I believe that would apply, also, to your sentence (about switching to HTML). In compound imperatives with brief, nicely balanced clauses, the comma can safely be omitted: "Open the faucet and flush out the drains." I realize that this turns the practice into a judgment call (what constitutes brief and nicely balanced?), but the sample sentences from GRM are good examples of well used commas.

Second from bottom.

If we were to go with that, it seems the question becomes whether or not our sentence is "complex enough" to need the comma, and that's a matter of opinion. Again. tongue.gif