Naruhina_94

A little scroll view mistake

It's really a trifle, but I would like to see this small problem resolved. Search another user's scroll, because you cannot see this little bug on your own:

You can look mine: http://dragcave.net/user/_Hinata-Hyuga_

As you can see in this line: You pick up the scroll labeled “_Hinata-Hyuga_,” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them.

My username becomes _Hinata-Hyuga_, and not _Hinata-Hyuga_

That little comma inside the " " currently seems to be part of the username itself and if somebody don't pay attention could include it.

I've had some problem to find the owner of a scroll on the forum for this reason.

It's really a small problem, I would like to see it fixed just for completeness.

Edited by Naruhina_94

Seems like a real simple fix. The comma just needs to be moved.

You pick up the scroll labeled “[username],” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them.

Needs to be

You pick up the scroll labeled “[username]”, and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them.

(Obviously not the right code, but you get the point)

EDIT:

Although looking up the correct placement in this situation, the comma is actually in the right place. For an American, anyway. (Although I was taught differently and I live in America)

http://grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html

Edited by MysticTiger

Exactly, put the comma outside the " "

You pick up the scroll labeled name scroll here, and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them.

instead of

You pick up the scroll labeled name scroll here, and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them.

Edited by Naruhina_94

Technically speaking, in the U.S. it's grammatically correct to place periods and commas inside quotation marks. In the U.K. and Canada, the rules of grammar are more logical and place these marks outside the quotes. (source)

TL;DR... Depending on where you're from, either version is correct.

There's a reason this makes sense to have its own thread and not be an entry in the grammar thread. It's less about getting grammar correct and more about doing what needs to be done to not confuse people.

I think that in italian you should evidence the scroll name inside the " " to stand out from the rest of the sentence. Other punctuation marks are allowed only if the phrase in quotation marks comprises a period in its own right.

Thanks for let me know about this Kallistrate, I didn't know !

As you can see in this line: You pick up the scroll labeled “_Hinata-Hyuga_,” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them.

My username becomes _Hinata-Hyuga_, and not _Hinata-Hyuga_

That little comma inside the " " currently seems to be part of the username itself and if somebody don't pay attention could include it.

The comma is supposed to be inside the "quotes". Grammatically speaking, in the USA that is how it is supposed to be written.

I used to drive some of my teachers crazy with composition writing because of it. I would sometimes write in the style of other countries (including odd spellings of words - like color vs colour) just to see if they would try to mark me down on the grade. wink.gif One teacher caught on to that quick and only marked me down in spots where I forgot to stay within the grammar style completely. LOL

Edited by WraithZephyr

The comma is supposed to be inside the "quotes". Grammatically speaking, in the USA that is how it is supposed to be written.

Err... not in Italian >.< Sorry to bother you with this silly thing... I would cancel the quotation marks at this point, so there wouldn't be any confusion.

By my point of view what I see is:

You pick up the scroll labeled “_Hinata-Hyuga_,” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them

What is the name of the scroll? _Hinata-Hyuga_,

Why? Because the quotation marks include the comma with the reast of the scroll name, so it must be part of it. They serve to highlight the name of what you've pick up, so f there is the comma inside them, the comma is part of the scrollname.

However DC is an USA game, so I understand if this cannot be changed... it's just very annoying for everyone else xd.png

Edited by Naruhina_94

Err... not in Italian >.< Sorry to bother you with this silly thing... I would cancel the quotation marks at this point, so there wouldn't be any confusion.

By my point of view what I see is:

If DragCave was an Italian based game, then USA grammar would not be logical. DragCave however is a USA based game and therefore it is correct that it would be displayed in USA grammar style.

Looking at that sentence, honestly, I don't think it needs a comma at all.

Grammatically speaking I believe it would be more accurate without the comma.

Removing it would also solve the multi-country comma use issue, so I see a win-win here. smile.gif

If DragCave was an Italian based game, then USA grammar would not be logical. DragCave however is a USA based game and therefore it is correct that it would be displayed in USA grammar style.

As I've already said:

However DC is an USA game, so I understand if this cannot be changed... it's just very annoying for everyone else xd.png

Thankyou SolarCat, I agree with you xd.png

Edited by Naruhina_94

Actually even in US grammar there should be no comma anyway.

^ *cough*

But this really isn't even about grammar. It's about making a change so that the line is more clear. It's just a bonus that the comma doesn't belong there so it doesn't matter whether it should be in or out of the quotation marks anyway.

I've never had a problem with this myself - I'm either already on the scroll or if I need to copy the name I can just double click and the comma isn't selected. But I can see your argument.

However, since it did turn into a bit of a grammar debate, perhaps we should just post this in the grammar patrol thread and I can close this one?

As you prefer, but I don't know where is the other topic.

As long as we could still discuss on this I'm fine with it smile.gif Thanks!

I'd never even noticed this, but it's going to really annoy me now... Just get rid of the comma or move it outside.

However, since it did turn into a bit of a grammar debate, perhaps we should just post this in the grammar patrol thread and I can close this one?

Aw, I would prefer that not happen.

As you said, it's not about grammar, even if people are trying to make it be. And I worry that since TJ recently said he doesn't like threads where multiple related issues are talked about, putting this in the grammar thread will mean it'll get overlooked.

Edited by diaveborn

Inside or outside, in that particular sentence the comma isn't even necessary. It could be removed and skirt the "in or out" debate entirely.

Edited by Renorei

Considering users scrolls links have the name of the scroll in the link, why not just use the link to get their username for that scroll. Wouldn't that be more logical than worrying about where the comma is? You have a better chance of getting it right from the url than from the page.

Just sayin.

Considering users scrolls links have the name of the scroll in the link, why not just use the link to get their username for that scroll. Wouldn't that be more logical than worrying about where the comma is? You have a better chance of getting it right from the url than from the page.

Just sayin.

I bet that kind of thing wouldn't occur to everyone even though it does seem pretty obvious.

Aw, I would prefer that not happen.

As you said, it's not about grammar, even if people are trying to make it be. And I worry that since TJ recently said he doesn't like threads where multiple related issues are talked about, putting this in the grammar thread will mean it'll get overlooked.

But that is what the grammar thread is for -- to report changes that need to be made in things like wording and punctuation in descriptions and other text used in the cave.

Well, the subheading to the thread says "typos, grammar slipups, et cetra" - which this isn't. I think if TJ can say "oh it's in the grammar thread, but it's actually correct grammar" it is easier to dismiss.

Technically, the way it is now is grammatically correct. It's a compound sentence; the subject of the second half is considered "you understood."

"You pick up the scroll labeled “username.” (You) See small sketches of dragons along with information about them."

Also, in American grammar, the comma goes inside the quotes, and this is an American site. If it were a British site, I'd say it should be done the British way, but it's basically the same as color vs colour.

Edited by Millie_Azure

Inside or outside, in that particular sentence the comma isn't even necessary. It could be removed and skirt the "in or out" debate entirely.

Agreed. Rather than triggering potential OCD* for either side of the debate, just avoid it entirely when it's possible.

* No offense meant. I actually got mine triggered after seeing this thread.

Technically, the way it is now is grammatically correct. It's a compound sentence; the subject of the second half is considered "you understood."

"You pick up the scroll labeled “username.” (You) See small sketches of dragons along with information about them."

Also, in American grammar, the comma goes inside the quotes, and this is an American site. If it were a British site, I'd say it should be done the British way, but it's basically the same as color vs colour.

The BRITISH way would be no comma at all; there is no need to separate at all... You only need the comma, even in a truly compound sentence, if there is the possibility for misunderstanding without it.

This is not a compound sentence; there is no subject to the verb in the second half, which is therefore NOT a clause.

"You" does NOT show up in the actual quotation we all see, and as such the second clause is not a complete sentence on its own, so does NOT take a comma, nor is the sentence we see a compound one.

I am a total pedant and also British and Canadian, hugely well educated., married to an English teacher of English and Canadian grammar, and the rest

And also the position of the comma with the quote marks is indeed the American way - but this is an INTERNATIONAL site, even though TJ is in the States. Best be absolutely correct and LEAVE IT OUT !