_Z_

Reminder Regarding Signatures

Kaykay, under these guidelines, I am curious of something.

Would I be allowed to use the image (and only the image) part of the link of my zombie dragon to link to my scroll without having to like save his image, upload it to a photo sharing site and then link using that

Unless otherwise hosted, it should only show up as "user posted image" on the forum. You can use the DC wiki's image if you don't want to host your own, though.

Lineage and view links to adult dragons or frozen hatchlings should be okay to post or put in your signature.

I should update the rule wording to clarify that.

That'a really nice!

I have to be honest. This rule has never made sense to me (sigs or otherwise).

If we could post view links or other "egg spam" everyone on the forum would do so and it would cause a lot of lag. So instead it is forbidden to everyone. That's the reasoning behind it.

Unless otherwise hosted, it should only show up as "user posted image" on the forum. You can use the DC wiki's image if you don't want to host your own, though.

Kaykay, thank you ^^

Stupid question, but this only applies for DC, correct? For instance, I have a non-DC clickable dragon in my signature.

I want to reask this- I have a non-DC clickable in my sig as well. Is this okay? I want to make sure... Thanks

I want to reask this- I have a non-DC clickable in my sig as well. Is this okay? I want to make sure... Thanks

Non-DC clickables are fine in signatures.

If we could post view links or other "egg spam" everyone on the forum would do so and it would cause a lot of lag.  So instead it is forbidden to everyone.  That's the reasoning behind it.

yes it would probably crash the forums as the server would be taking massive hits from thousands of users constantly. I belong to a popular forum that actually was forced a few years back to ban ALL types of clickables in their signatures because of lag issues caused by that kind of spam in people's signatures. A couple of us played DC, but more and more people started to pick up on the DC game there and put their eggs into the signatures. Everything was fine for a few months, but then the great DC server crash happened which then caused problems for the site because of the DC links in the signatures. That sites servers could not pull up the info from DC's servers and would spin and spin before eventually timing out - massive lag. It would take forever for posts to load because the site kept trying to load signatures. Even after the DC server was replaced, the ban was not lifted. The owner of that site didn't want to take any more chances.

Now that was just a site with a few DC players. The DC forums - almost everyone with an account plays.. thousands and thousands of people posting their eggs... yeah it would keel over relatively quick.

If we could post view links or other "egg spam" everyone on the forum would do so and it would cause a lot of lag. So instead it is forbidden to everyone. That's the reasoning behind it.

How many people would actually do that though? Because the code page displaying all your dragon codes is broken up by html codes, it's impossible to highlight one and paste once. You have to select each code separately. Even on other pet forums I rarely see DC eggs or hatchlings in people's signatures. The inconvenient code getting + the fact that plenty of hatcheries exists really keep dragons out of signatures everywhere.

Well, probably every newbie would put their first 4 eggs into the sig - that's not a lot of cut & paste. With the ban, the incentive to learn about said hatcheries is just so much bigger. wink.gif

Ok, so I guess I sort of get that (other than the fact, if that was true, places where adoptables are spammed on other sites should lag, yet never do for me; then again, I suppose I have a decent connection). The only thing is, it is rather hypocritical - you can't post view links here on the mother site, so feel free to clutter/spam other sites instead.

I'm really glad that view links to adult dragons are allowed. I never understood why Adult View links should matter since they don't get hits/views anymore like they used to.

Thank you for changing that!

Ok, so I guess I sort of get that (other than the fact, if that was true, places where adoptables are spammed on other sites should lag, yet never do for me; then again, I suppose I have a decent connection). The only thing is, it is rather hypocritical - you can't post view links here on the mother site, so feel free to clutter/spam other sites instead.

The thing is that on another site you don't have every single person from here posting egg links. I've posted links on another forum that has nothing to do with adoptables. There are maybe a dozen of is there. Not quite the same as what would happen here, with every last one of us being a player !

Also, that's how you advertise DC wink.gif If I hadn't seen any DC eggs in that other forum I'm using, I wouldn't have a chance to know about DC. It's how adoptable sites work in general.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Also, that's how you advertise DC wink.gif If I hadn't seen any DC eggs in that other forum I'm using, I wouldn't have a chance to know about DC. It's how adoptable sites work in general.

I'd advertise more if the get-code page had some changes to make it easier.

yes it would probably crash the forums as the server would be taking massive hits from thousands of users constantly.  I belong to a popular forum that actually was forced a few years back to ban ALL types of clickables in their signatures because of lag issues caused by that kind of spam in people's signatures.  A couple of us played DC, but more and more people started to pick up on the DC game there and put their eggs into the signatures. Everything was fine for a few months, but then the great DC server crash happened which then caused problems for the site because of the DC links in the signatures.  That sites servers could not pull up the info from DC's servers and would spin and spin before eventually timing out - massive lag.  It would take forever for posts to load because the site kept trying to load signatures.  Even after the DC server was replaced, the ban was not lifted. The owner of that site didn't want to take any more chances.

Now that was just a site with a few DC players.  The DC forums - almost everyone with an account plays.. thousands and thousands of people posting their eggs... yeah it would keel over relatively quick.

I just want to point out that that's really not how images work on the internet, though.

If site A has an image link to site B, site A is not going to crash because site B goes down. The site as a whole isn't even going to lag - just the image that is embedded. That'll make your personal forum experience slow (since you're looking at forum (site A) + image (site B, which is lagging)), but it's never going to affect the forum server. The only exception would be if the server downloads all images on each page load and then displays them, but as that's unnecessary I don't actually know any forum software that does this. (For completion's sake: I know forum software that downloads images the moment you post them (or update your signature) to check image dimensions, but that stuff is checked once (on posting/signature-update), not on every page load.)

So whatever happened there was probably unrelated to the image links. smile.gif

What would keel over might be the main site, though (i.e. the one hosting the images); though even that might not happen. I wouldn't be surprised if the sum of external sites embedding Dragon Cave images would still be magnitudes greater than stuff embedded on this forum if it were allowed. But allowing it here would make the community 'inbred' very quickly... wink.gif and it's understandable that's not desired. The site lives from external embedding, after all.

This site certainly can't control what other sites allow, so it isn't hypocritical at all. You can't post them here and the reasons have been pretty well spelled out. You can post them where ever else you please unless the other site has restrictions.

If they are posted on other sites, it all links back here, so that is enough drain on the bandwidth don't you think? With the many fan sites in addition to any postings in sigs on other sites?

If loading the images on another site causes a drain for the other site, the other site can disallow whichever images it wishes to eliminate anything it considers clutter or spam. That is the decision of the other site. DC would only have something to say about it if the hotlinking (or whatever the correct tern would be) became a drain on DC.

I heard this forum has a section for suggestions.

Yes, and the suggestion is getting ignored. I'm assuming it won't help very many people so there's been no interest in it.