626lavaheart

ANSWERED:No Raffles

If we'd never done the first contest/raffle, I'd never be for raffles being added to DC. But now that we've had a few, I just don't like the idea of suddenly stopping them.

I'll gladly take all the annoying drama and whining along with the raffle, if the only alternate is no raffle at all.

Strongly don't support this idea.

lol you've had a taste of the drug SockPuppet Strangler!

Maybe you should go to rehab tongue.gif

also thank you everyone for their opinions :3 this thread is quite entertaining.

But seriously everyone It wouldn't spell the end of 2nd gens. You'll just need to try harder to get them.

Because people offering multiple metals, armies of commons, and agreeing to be on a waiting list for ages just aren't trying hard enough?

@626: 90% of the reason people are disappointed with the raffle is precisely because low gens are so hard to get. And you agree that this would make them even harder to get. So what would it solve? Would people suddenly cheer up because low gens are even harder to get? I don't get it.

*Raises eyebrow off face* do those of you supporting this really think making 2nd gens even scarcer would bring peace and harmony to the cave? Personally I envision a lot more screaming, not less.

Pretty much this.

I forsee if this suggestion ever comes to fruition then even more drama will occur. Low gens will become almost impossible to get, leading to even more frustration in people. You think people whining they will never will is bad now? It will be even worse if you remove their small chance to even win.

If you think retiring the breeds as well as raffles is going to reduce drama that this suggest will produce. I ask whether you saw the drama over the frills retiring? The whining at the time was awful; just as bad as the raffles, probably even worse. So many people do not have these breeds anymore, and many regret not being able to obtain them. At least people can still get these dragons at the moment.

This suggestion will probably upset people more than it is meant to help. Sure, you can't satisfy everyone, but with this I think a huge group of people would be upset. That is why I do not support it.

:? well maybe they should see that getting a 2nd gen isn't essential to playing and go get a different rare if they are unhappy with how rare a dragon is?

really it's a person's personal choice to go the extra mile to get a 2nd gen. you can complete your scroll with ugly lineages and there's no way to get CBs of them.

No one said anything about retiring. They're always going to be here.

Edited by 626lavaheart

I am against this. The raffles are very fun. The issue is not with the raffle itself, but with people being unable to accept that they might not win. It's why we can't have nice things--people always get jealous and tend to be unhappy with other users' enjoyment if they themselves can't have the same exact thing(s). I really wish everyone would just be happy for the winners and enjoy each raffle, rather than get upset if/when they lose. Honestly, losing makes me just as happy as winning would, since I know somebody gets the joy of having a special dragon, and I still get to have the enjoyment of participating and the thrill of checking to see if I've one.

Edited by PieMaster

Pretty much this.

I forsee if this suggestion ever comes to fruition then even more drama will occur. Low gens will become almost impossible to get, leading to even more frustration in people. You think people whining they will never will is bad now? It will be even worse if you remove their small chance to even win.

If you think retiring the breeds as well as raffles is going to reduce drama that this suggest will produce. I ask whether you saw the drama over the frills retiring? The whining at the time was awful; just as bad as the raffles, probably even worse. So many people do not have these breeds anymore, and many regret not being able to obtain them. At least people can still get these dragons at the moment.

This suggestion will probably upset people more than it is meant to help. Sure, you can't satisfy everyone, but with this I think a huge group of people would be upset. That is why I do not support it.

Oh come on, pretty much any change to the cave is going to cause drama, it's the problem of how long such drama will last.

Do you see people complaining about AP getcode refreshing every year? I don't.

Do you see people complaining about the cave splitting into biomes every year? I don't

Do you see people complaining about frills being retired every year? I don't.

Do you see people complaining about prizes and raffles every year? I'm going to leave it to you to answer this one.

The question is, will the drama die down if we retire the prizes and the raffle? Because if they do, it's a lot better than having everlasting drama about them.

If this was before raffles started, I would agree with this. Since DC has had a few raffles so far, I have no problem with it happening every year. I choose to avoid the drama and the people who act like 2 year olds if they don't get something they want. I think the yearly raffle is a fun thing to participate in. I myself haven't won anything, but I congratulate anyone who has (and good luck to you guys always).

There's going to be an angry mob either way, every year... it's a part of dc tongue.gif

The problem is getting more low gens into circulation. How is this solving that problem? It's not, in fact it'll only make it worse. I can see it now: 20 CB Golds for a 2nd gen. I'd probably be close to quitting if this happened.

I don't think just ending the raffles would completely quiet resentment (still think the opposite). I also think retiring Prizes would be even worse. Just because people don't scream and wail loudly over Bright Pinks and Frills doesn't mean they aren't missed.

@626: it's a collecting game. In a collecting game the goal, for many, is to go after things they haven't yet collected. Accordingly I don't think saying "go drool over some other shiny" will cut it.

Obviously 2nd gens aren't required--nothing is--but they represent a rare chance to play around with a very pretty set of breeds that higher gen stairsteps and spirals from other people's choices of breed just don't.

As I've said elsewhere, challenges and rares are good, but if they reach a point where the thrill of trying to get one becomes the despair of never getting one, it's bad. Plus, the more options are available in a collecting game, the better. With both of those things considered I think more prizes--not less, and certainly not an entire ending of them--is the way to go.

Edit: I get that all the raffle discussion can be tiring--I've started posting less in them myself, even--but as always I'm sure things will quiet down eventually. If you think it's annoying, just don't go into them, instead of starting a suggestion geared towards shutting us "whiners" up?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Oh come on, pretty much any change to the cave is going to cause drama, it's the problem of how long such drama will last.

Do you see people complaining about AP getcode refreshing every year? I don't.

Do you see people complaining about the cave splitting into biomes every year? I don't

Do you see people complaining about frills being retired every year? I don't.

Do you see people complaining about prizes and raffles every year? I'm going to leave it to you to answer this one.

The question is, will the drama die down if we retire the prizes and the raffle? Because if they do, it's a lot better than having everlasting drama about them.

People complain about Frills and Bright Pinks every time someone suggests retiring new breeds, and every time someone comes close to a topic that relates to either Frills or Bring Pinks.

And those are just two sprites. And while the Frills are well loved by many, they are by no means an extrodinarily popular sprite.

The currently retired sprites are: 2 that are loved by some and liked by many

The ones retired that this would add: 6 that are obsessed over by many

The wailing over them being retired would make what happened (and happens) with Frills seem like a walk in the park. They are 6 of the BETTER sprites in the Cave, in my opinion.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

Like Sock, I think it would have been great if the raffles had never been started, But now that they are here, you just can't pull them with no replacement or the kiddies will scream.

That is why in a comment of mine in another thread I suggested replacing them with Limited Edition dragons for each player. The Limited Editions would be in a greater number than the prizes and given to players at a certain level (to prevent creating scrolls just to get another etc)

There are tons of lovely dragons in the backlog that will never see the light of day that could be used so no extra artwork would be needed.

Each run of a sprite would stand a chance of becoming equally as rare as the prizes as time passes (for the same reasons as the CB prizes will become rarer)

This would give the cave some chance of rebalancing the playing field. Everyone would own something of trade value.

I just don't think you could drop the raffles without suggesting alternatives.

Maybe if the raffles and other stuff shuffles annually that would work. I mean, it'd be kind of an interesting twist.

We're never going to all have a 2nd gen/CB prize dragon, things just aren't going to happen like that.

Yeah, don't think this is a great idea. I personally believe that there is honestly more right with the raffle than there is wrong with it. Saying that we should just get rid of the raffle sort of feels like "If I can't have one, no one can" table flipping to me.

@angelicdragonpuppy

but it's only one dragon on the site? there are more fish in the sea ya know?

I'm sure TJ will release another dragon after awhile that is uber rare. I know we all like to shoot for unobtainable goals and just addicted to obtaining rares...

But I feel like it'd be healthier if we at least removed the drama from the holiday season by not having raffles. Instead! TJ should release a extremely uber rare on his own time. (I'm sure he can code things that are rarer than golds just for us those who crave for the journey of getting such rare things and make DC funner for those who have all they could want in the way of CB golds and are getting bored of them being too easy to get for them ;) )

also C4 D: my god people actually suggest retiring breeds? (and I thought I had a crazy idea o_o)

:? well maybe they should see that getting a 2nd gen isn't essential to playing and go get a different rare if they are unhappy with how rare a dragon is?

Imagines a world in which I can ONLY build lineages from other peoples third gens...

bleah

2nd gens may not be essential but when I can't have a CB they ARE the next best thing and a whole lot more fun to play with than higher gens. And I say this as a person whose scroll is nearly taken up with 3g prizefails because they are about the closest I can get to low gen prizes tongue.gif

@angelicdragonpuppy

but it's only one dragon on the site? there are more fish in the sea ya know?

I'm sure TJ will release another dragon after awhile that is uber rare. I know we all like to shoot for unobtainable goals and just addicted to obtaining rares...

But I feel like it'd be healthier if we at least removed the drama from the holiday season by not having raffles. Instead! TJ should release a extremely uber rare on his own time. (I'm sure he can code things that are rarer than golds just for us those who crave for the journey of getting such rare things and make DC funner for those who have all they could want in the way of CB golds and are getting bored of them being too easy to get for them wink.gif )

also C4 D: my god people actually suggest retiring breeds? (and I thought I had a crazy idea o_o)

This would cause more drama. I'm sure it would. There are more of those 'not a winner, but happy' people than the 'not a winner, so I'll just be a jerk' people.

*I'm also discussing this in an irc lol so this is an idea that came along*

since everyone loves that there's something rarer than CB golds. TJ should release a dragon secretly in the cave that is 10 times rarer than CB golds. AND make them breedable at the same ratio as prize dragons.

All the fun of prize dragons! without the repetitive drama year after year during holiday times!

AND it's possible to have CB prizes

(it's freaking genius)

ya but drama will eventually die out. Unlike the situation now were it opens anew every year during a time that is depressing for some.

Edited by 626lavaheart

I could see this suggestion working in conjunction with Release of Prize dragons in-cave. Otherwise, I concur with angelicdragonpuppy - this is going to drive up the prices of prize dragons, not lower them, making the situation more frustrating rather than less.

I have great sympathies with the general notion of not having raffles, though, but the damage has sort of been done, there - I don't think it could be undone by just having no raffles in future.

Edited by pinkgothic

ya I don't like the idea of releasing them. It cheapens the win for those who beat the odds and got one.

edit: also I feel like this situation is similar to getting cut...

what's going on now: Getting a large gushing gash every year during an emotional season, a cut that doesn't heal by the time the holiday season rolls around.

what I'm suggesting: we make this last gash the last and let this cut heal.

What I we need to do: To go to the freaking hospital

Edited by 626lavaheart

The thing about this is with the frills and old pinks, the drama died down eventually as the sprites could no longer be obtained..at all.

No more raffles, no more new prizes causes more pressure on the already small pool available since they will still be able to breed. We naturally lose prize winners each year as they lose interest in game, RL or cave on pressure.

The drama is not likely to go away as there will be a realisation of no more raffles and everyone will want those 2nd/lower gens even more. The disheartened attitudes could turn from discontent and disappointment at the raffle to the prize winners themselves.. Whilst harrassment is reportable, I see only more negative attitude out of this.

EDIT: As to the injury analogue - my suggestion heal and grow wink.gif

Edited by lilacamy931

I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it, people tend to jump all over the suggester and the screaming and lamenting over Frills and Bright Pinks turns up again. And the suggestion is swiftly forgotten. The suggestion tends to crop up when a particular breed hits mega blocker status.

So long as a particular dragon can be gotten in CB version by all eventually (if they are lucky enough), then I'll go for it. Its the limited editions that breed true all year that really bite. And for Holidays.... The only one that is rare in 2nd gen version is the Holly, and the HM prizes have started to turn that around. The rest are a dime-a-dozen in the AP, because the userbase that still has CBs is so high. This means that there are a LOT of 2nd gen and 3rd gen Holidays out there, of every species but Hollies.

Which brings up another point... Stop the raffles, and you:

- Place low gen Prizes (6 beautiful metal dragon sprites) on the Critically Endangered and headed to join the Dodo list with no hope of recovery

- Turn low gen Holly's recovery around and take them from Highly Endangered but recovering and put them back on the Critically Endangered: going down hill fast list.

So, this suggestion directly affects not just 6 sprites, but 7. So... I totally do not support. Even though I personally don't much care for the raffles.

Cheers!

C4.

Don't like this at all. Why should we all have to pay just because other people don't like it? You don't have to participate in the raffle. Don't do the event and it won't be a problem. Or, do the event and don't even bother worrying about winning the raffle since you dislike it so much. I just don't think its fair to want to take it away from those of us who do enjoy it when, technically, you all have the option to participate or not.

Also, if someone is so addicted to this site, that it hurts them so badly that they didn't win a little sprite dragon on a website...they may need help. Not being mean, just sayin'!

Edited by Shirosaki_Gin