Sheriziya

ANSWERED:Multi clutch for Prize dragons?

How did people dealt with multi clutching previously? And if multi clutching was for everything, wouldn't the ratios be exactly the same?

I am not sure how close the removal of multi clutching is to the addition of lineages was so I can't be sure. Personally multi clutching would not bother me but knowing it would bother others I would opt in to an optional BSA version that forcing it on everyone.

Multiclutching didn't get abolished (for non-holiday breedings) due to lineages.

I don't know the exact reasoning any more, but it was either one more step to try and alleviate the problem of "cave blocking" (the AP blocking the entrance to the cave when filled with more than 30 eggs so you couldn't hunt CBs at all) or it was because multi-clutching wasn't needed anymore. From what I've heard, multiclutches were introduced when eggs were still scarce, and it was considered an accomplishment to even snag a severely inbred and/or messy-lineaged mint. But since the cave was hardly ever empty (unless there was a new release) and the AP often even made cave hunting impossible, multis weren't needed any more.

Edited by olympe

There were many times the AP had 5 or fewer eggs, and it was a fight to get those. So multiclutches were good. But yes, once the solid wall of eggs never left, it was no longer necessary.

Without being dismissive, I admit that I'm not really impressed by the fact that some wouldn't want their eggs to fall in "random hands". No name calling, please. And don't they take that same risk while trading? Note that I'm not talking about you but about the people you referenced. Anyway I don't see that like a real issue.

Anyway my concern is more on the ratios side. If multi clutching was to take in consideration ratios (the more one breed has been bred, the smaller the clutch, for example) wouldn't that address the issue brought up by Fiona?

Edit: the AP has eggs around 5d15h, the cave isn't blocked by it and eggs under 5d are picked up immediately. What would be the issue nowadays with the AP?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Multiclutching didn't get abolished (for non-holiday breedings) due to lineages, but due to AP blocking.

I don't know the exact reasoning any more, but it was either one more step to try and alleviate the problem of "cave blocking" (the AP blocking the entrance to the cave when filled with more than 30 eggs so you couldn't hunt CBs at all) or it was because multi-clutching wasn't needed anymore. From what I've heard, multiclutches were introduced when eggs were still scarce, and it was considered an accomplishment to even snag a severely inbred and/or messy-lineaged mint. But since the cave was hardly ever empty (unless there was a new release) and the AP often even made cave hunting impossible, multis weren't needed any more.

Lineages werent introduced while multi clutching was first added though. I think they got added in a bit after.

Multi clutching was introduced to increase AP eggs but the more people joined and bred, the more eggs began to pile up and cause cave block. When cave block became an issue, TJ removed Cave block and Multi clutching since there was an over abundance of AP eggs compared to when mulitclutching was first introduced.

I simply stated the lineage thing because I wasnt sure how close addition of lineages was to the removal of ,ulticlutching, not because lineages caused the removal, but because lineages now factor in to the reason why multi clutching would not be preferred by everyone.

Aside from the still already over abundance of eggs, not everyone at this point in time wants to multi clutch.

Without being dismissive, I admit that I'm not really impressed by the fact that some wouldn't want their eggs to fall in "random hands". And don't they take that same risk while trading?

Go tell that to project breeders and the such who will only trade with people that are part of their project lists or friends. Yes trading does cause that issue but I did not mention trading to random people, I said trading to specific people.

Multiclutching was removed before lineage views. (pretty sure. Memory is terrible) It was removed because there were too many eggs in the AP and with the blocking mechanism that was in place then people could almost never get to the cave to hunt. Removing multiclutching was an attempt to cut down on the number of eggs available because there were too many being produced for the players to adopt.

It's true that the ratios would ensure that the eggs of each breed were proportional. And yes, the AP doesn't block the cave anymore either. But that isn't the issue I'm concerned about. It's the increase in the total number of eggs produced that I'm concerned about. Assuming that people would attempt to breed the same number of pairs multiclutching could result in anywhere from twice the number of eggs going to the AP to somewhat more than that. Those eggs all need someone to adopt them. In order to keep the numbers of eggs in the AP manageable probably the number of successful breeding would need to be adjusted downward. And that's something TJ already mentioned in an earlier post. The more I think about that possibility the less I like the idea of multi-clutching.

Pretty sure it wasn't. When I joined, lineage view was already there, as were multi-clutches for about a year, even if they were rare. I had exactly one multiclutch back then, two magi eggs (I think). The twin of my egg died due to neglect, btw.

Multiclutching was removed before lineage views. (pretty sure. Memory is terrible) It was removed because there were too many eggs in the AP and with the blocking mechanism that was in place then people could almost never get to the cave to hunt. Removing multiclutching was an attempt to cut down on the number of eggs available because there were too many being produced for the players to adopt.

It was disabled after we got lineages, I think, but had been decreased significantly even before it was removed. I only had one multiclutch that wasn't an in-season Holiday breed and that was in January 2010 (1, 2); shortly afterwards multiclutches were disabled.

I would also be concerned about the same number of eggs being produced by fewer pairs (pretty sure I saw TJ mention this as a result on another thread) if general multiclutching was re-enabled. If this wasn't the case, I would be all for it coming back.

In order to keep the numbers of eggs in the AP manageable probably the number of successful breeding would need to be adjusted downward. And that's something TJ already mentioned in an earlier post. The more I think about that possibility the less I like the idea of multi-clutching.

Thank you, I will try to find that post by TJ.

I don't know enough about the internal mechanisms but I assume that adjusting breeding downwards would adjust multi clutching downwards etc.

Edit: Thank you, AW. I'll be searching for any post by TJ on the subject.

Edited by _Sin_

"It was disabled after we got lineages, I think"

Told you my memory was terrible. If you have clear memory and even documentation then you must be correct. They blur together in my mind.

Yes, adjusting the breeding rate downwards would affect everything. It's still going to require a lower number of successful breeding attempts. Some might not mind that but it bothers me.

"It was disabled after we got lineages, I think"

Told you my memory was terrible. If you have clear memory and even documentation then you must be correct. They blur together in my mind.

Naw, it's just all that shiny distracting you! xd.png

Without being dismissive, I  admit that I'm not really impressed by the fact that some wouldn't want their eggs to fall in "random hands".  And don't they take that same risk while trading? Note that I'm not talking about you but about the people you referenced.

I know you don't mean that towads me, but it is still something to consider. Some breeding groups and projects only trade to people on their lists and people who have joined their projects, its not elitist its ensuring the breeding project or lineage project continues without issues. Individuals that want to trade to only friends, family, and specifict people is not elitist, its their choice. I wouldnt consider you elitist if you didnt wanna trade me a dragon you bred because you didnt know me enough or because its only meant for close friends and family. Its part of the game and I'd respect your choice.

I would also agree with Fiona and Amazon, ratios would be affected. Some say that multi clutch would eventually even out the ratios of the over bred egg but at a cost of a super backlogged AP. Some breeding success are hard to get as it is, having TJ lower over all breeding success to accommodate for multi clutching will add more frustration to breeding.

I think it has come up a couple of times in this thread that mutliclutches for prizes would only work to improve something if the ratios got upped as well. So that point isn't exactly new. tongue.gif