Sheriziya

ANSWERED:Release a Coal Version of the prize dragon?

The Coal version would be awesome. There will always be pros and cons to the situation.

It's always nice getting the recognition for trying isn't it?

Then there are those who think everyone/anyone who enters and is given a prize for just entering is NOT worth the time and effort that they put in.

There will always be people on both sides of the fence and you will never be able to please everyone.

Everyone plays this differently it's just a matter of how you see the "value" of the Dragon. Some people just want to collect every Dragon, for others it's something else entirely.

This might be true in terms of numbers, but not in terms of distribution. Some people have lots of CB Metals, many others have none, because they're hard to get. Whereas everyone would get one of these for free.

Plus - Holidays work much the same way. One time CB release forever and only. But 2g Holidays don't generally trade for 2g Metals, do they? And these guys would be even more common, as they can breed all year long.

Still, I'm all in favor of scroll locking, as I mentioned above.

2g holidays DID not trade for much, mostly due to the fact that you still could not do nice lineages for xmas and valentines anyway without sacrificing the CBs, and even though you could do them with halloweens, the once per year timeframe makes reaching a proper high gen a rather too longterm project.

with limits lifted, prizes definitely have upped on the trade market for 2g holidays. and 2g Hollys are still worth cb metals.

if coal verson can be traded, you can be sure that some people will trade cb metals to get more coal versions.

A form of this was discussed on the IRC a while back.

*looks sheepish*

Edited by DarkEternity

Honestly, I wouldn't want a coal version released...first off, the Tinsels wouldn't be getting a coal version so it's kind of weird that shimmers would be. Plus there's like four different colors of shimmers already (gold, silver, bronze, alt), and I feel that a fifth recolor would be excessive. THOUGH, I would reconsider if it had a new pose than the others. Just to make it more different? How about a totally different "consolation prize" dragon? I'd rather have that than a rehashed, recolored sprite.

Other people feel differently than I do and I accept that; I do know people want their own CB shimmers to do their own lineages...and this would be the only way to do it because not everyone can win a CB shimmer.

I really see no need to scroll lock these. I don't think it would be a big problem if some people chose to trade theirs.

These would have to count in the ratios as a different breed, though, wouldn't they? Otherwise breeding success of shiny Shimmers would plummet.

These would have to count in the ratios as a different breed, though, wouldn't they? Otherwise breeding success of shiny Shimmers would plummet.

Yah, they'd have to. Actually now I'm curious: do different Prize colors count as different breeds...? Hm.

How about a totally different "consolation prize" dragon? I'd rather have that than a rehashed, recolored sprite.

people are mostly upset because they cant breed with this sprite as much as they want.

Releasing another sprite does nothing for that.

We do get something just for participating. There's a little badge on our scroll that states we were there, we did it, we had fun. Why do we need a dragon, too? In all games, there's a winner and a loser. How fun would, say, watching the Super Bowl be if, at the end of it, everyone went, "Aw shucks, you just got killed, but have a ring and a shiny trophy anyway!" A badge is enough. Save the big prizes for people that actually win them.

Guess I totally agree. I think the badge is enough.

I can understand the disappointing since I also never win something but it's a game. A coal version wouldn't change anything. Low gen shinies will remain rare

But I have to admit that they would look really awesome

Edited by tukky93

I don't see it needing to be an all or nothing. If a coal prize is something that occurs it would be better to have just ONE sprite rather than two otherwise people will be crying that they got a tinsel instead of a shimmer. If everyone gets the exact same thing there is nothing to whine about.

I agree with this.

I think black shimmers are a great idea. They'd be pretty, expand lineage possibilities, and make the holiday feel more inclusive. They won't stop whining completely, but Superman and an army of unicorns couldn't do THAT...! :-D

I'm not a fan of dull variants being awarded for entering the raffle. For one, we already get a fun even that goes with the raffle, not to mention the holiday dragons we can grab. For two, that's not how raffles work. The the suggestion here is really to change the raffle from a raffle to something else, which I'm not completely against (I was in the minority that enjoyed the competition, which I'm not suggesting bringing back). But I do enjoy the events for just what they are. Chickensmoothie, for example, has fairly long events that involve you constantly checking in to get "money" to buy things and that's too much work for me. xP

Would it be fun to have coal-colored sprites? Sure! But Marri has already said no to a coal tinsel, so it'd have to just be a coal shimmer (which I really don't care for because I don't think it makes sense to just do it for one dragon, but I'm sure not everyone agrees, but also because I'm not really fond of the shimmer sprites anyway) or a different dragon altogether (which doesn't really make sense either to me because the raffle is already associated with a holiday where we get an event and new and old holiday dragons).

Yah, they'd have to. Actually now I'm curious: do different Prize colors count as different breeds...? Hm.

They aren't according to the site names. (Like regular and alt blacks are both just listed as black but there's obviously some sort of differentiation for them since you can't grab cb black alts and they sort differently. Same with stripes, tinsels, shimmers, vines.)

I agree with this.

I think black shimmers are a great idea. They'd be pretty, expand lineage possibilities, and make the holiday feel more inclusive. They won't stop whining completely, but Superman and an army of unicorns couldn't do THAT...! :-D

I know I know I know!

We could nuke the entire planet, turning it into a billiard ball! That would stop the whining!

Erm. It would also eliminate DragCave. Perhaps this idea needs to be re-thought.....

xd.png

I think DarkEternity's morbidity is infecting me.....

*goes and hides*

Cheers!

C4.

Have I ever mentioned that black is a pretty colour...

THE COLOUR OF MY SOUL.

I'd name it (the shimmer) the Finer Points of Dy(e)ing

(This idea is always a cute one.)

I don't object to anything that puts a pretty new dragon sprite on my scroll, but I don't see this as much more than a bandaid, it does nothing to fix the real problem.

People are still going to want the offspring of the official prizes for whatever reason. Exclusivity, bragging rights, trade fodder, scroll completion, lineage goals, etc. Those offspring will still be insanely hard to get and people will still be unhappy about that.

I agree with this.

I think black shimmers are a great idea. They'd be pretty, expand lineage possibilities, and make the holiday feel more inclusive.

I'm voting in favor of a Coal Shimmer for these reasons as well. Pretty pretty lineages possibilities! wub.gif

To add since this is being discussed, I don't care if they are scroll-bound or not.

Those offspring will still be insanely hard to get and people will still be unhappy about that.

The dearth of 2nd-gen prize dragons is one problem, and there are several suggestions for alleviating that currently being bandied around. The other problem, though, is that a lot of people feel disappointed and left out during the raffle. They would not feel disappointed or left out if they got something else less than a CB prize during the raffle (at least, I've never heard an HM winner complain.) And additionally, it would give non-winners who like lineages the ability to build or expand lineages with shimmers in them, which would be a nice bonus.

If the shimmerscale spriter is willing to make a recolor, it's hard for me to see a downside to it. Like other dragons, anyone who doesn't like the sprite doesn't have to collect it. And it wouldn't rob the specialness of metallic prizes, because everyone will still want those.

I'm in favor of this regarding ways to "improve" the raffle.

I honestly can't imagine any harm in doing so. The actual winners still get their uber-rare money printers, while the rest of the population goes away a lot less unhappy since they get something out of the event. I myself can't share the views of some people wanting to keep the raffles "a neglible chance of getting anything out of it", because it's plain boring and frustrating for the vast majority of participants and is the cause of threads like this in the first place.

One question remains though: What about the HM winners? Do they still get a coal version? Or are they stuck with only getting their HM prize?

One question remains though: What about the HM winners? Do they still get a coal version? Or are they stuck with only getting their HM prize?

Not many people are going to get a HM prize multiple times in the row. Plus, there's always next year.

If the shimmerscale spriter is willing to make a recolor, it's hard for me to see a downside to it. Like other dragons, anyone who doesn't like the sprite doesn't have to collect it. And it wouldn't rob the specialness of metallic prizes, because everyone will still want those.

This. smile.gif

Hey all,

Thanks for all the response! I thought it would come in handy to clarify a few things. I'll update/adjust the first post so that it's clearer.

So, here goes:

* This suggestion was one of the base parts of the combo suggestion to improve the raffle. TJ wanted each base part to be discussed separately, hence why the "improve the raffle" topic was closed and all these new topics were opened. IMHO (And Naruhina's and ADP's too I think) all our base part suggestions are linked in the Combo and would work best if the complete combo suggestion was implemented instead of only one part of the total combo suggestion.

* The idea was to have a coal version of each new prize dragon that was introduced , if TJ would decide to do that. If you'd like to discuss that particular part of the suggestion, please go here. See the original combo suggestion to make the idea behind new prize dragons and their coalversions clearer.

* Mysfytt has already stated she'd recolor the Shimmers if TJ would like to implement this. I've made this clearer by putting the statement in bold and green in the original post.

* Giving the coalversion as a prize was meant for all participants except the 1-2-3 prize winners of that particular raffle because they'd already get the shiny version of the prize. So, Tinsel winners wouldn't get the coal version in that particular raffle either.

* As for the ratios, Mysfytt stated:

They are technically a sub-species so would heave their own ratios which would not effect the metallic shimmer or tinsel ratios
I haven't seen confirmation of TJ about this particular subject though. If anyone has, please send me the link and I'll include it in the first post.

As for the suggestion for scroll locking like the Guardians or the holidays:

This would mean that you can only get a CB consolation prize from the first raffle with consolation prizes you participate in, assuming the prize dragons wouldn't change and we'd keep the Shimmers as consolation prizes. That would mean we'll have all the drama back with the next raffle..... In my opinion that wouldn't work. Either you can get the consolation prize with every raffle (if you're not a 1/2/3 prize winner) or you the idea of the consolation prize won't work.

People are free to do what they want with their prize dragons. Why wouldn't they be free to do what they want with their consolation prize? I see no difference there. We don't have measures to keep prize winners from killing/gifting/AP-ing/biting/etc their CB prizes. So why would we limit the possibilities for the consolation prizes?

I like the idea of an extra prize dragon as a participation prize, particularly for new releases in the future. I would tend to give it to all, including people who won, simply because that opens up the possibility of a "prize fail" lineage that keeps using the prize sprites, which would be pretty cool. The "coal" coloring doesn't have to be set in stone, of course. If the spriter would rather do something else for the participation prize, he or she would be welcome to do so. For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing gemstone-themed prizes sometime in the future instead of gold, siver, bronze (diamond, ruby, emerald), and then the low end participation prize would likely be something like Citrine (and the spriter gets sapphire or amethyst or some such…)

I don't think that this suggestion really solves the perceived "problems" with the raffle, but might at least distract some people from complaining about them.

I like the idea of an extra prize dragon as a participation prize, particularly for new releases in the future. I would tend to give it to all, including people who won, simply because that opens up the possibility of a "prize fail" lineage that keeps using the prize sprites, which would be pretty cool.

<snip>

I don't think that this suggestion really solves the perceived "problems" with the raffle, but might at least distract some people from complaining about them.

GIVE it to all people ? You mean it would just appear on everyone's scroll one day ?

I wish I thought you were right about it putting any kind of brake on complaining....

Full support of this idea. Black shimmers would be excellent <3 As long as winners can get the "consolation" prize too. Don't you think its unfair to not let winners be able to get it as well? Yeah we won, but ya know, the consolation prize is for everybody. The CB shiny prize dragons should just be an added bonus for winners. As long as everyobdy has access to these, I totally support it. A Back shimer sounds amazing xd.png

...You won the dang thing, what do you need to be consoled about?

A consolation prize is intended for those who didn't win to ease the sting of losing. If you won, you got your prize. You don't get two prizes. (Arguably, for this reason, I would say that HM winners wouldn't qualify, either, unless they chose to give up the chance to get another dragon--one free dragon per person)

Personally, though, I dislike the idea of them just being given out to everybody who didn't win. I'd much rather see them released in the cave or something. I don't like the idea of "you participated, here's your free dragon!"

And, would it be "you only get one, if you have a CB already you can't get another in a future raffle"? Or would it be "you can get one a year"? I'd argue in favor of the "one a year" thing--and maybe an option to opt-out of receiving it if you don't want it. If it had to be a "given to all people who didn't win" thing.

Though, as I said, I'd much rather see them released into the cave (as proper commons, since coal isn't meant to be rare and shiny and all that) than just handed out for free.

I really don't think this will help. People do not want a consolation prize - they want the prize. They want all that comes with it. From easy trading, ability to make special lineages and to the dragon being special in itself. Prizes are special because they are rare and because only a number of people have them. Giving out consolation prizes to everyone would mean that they aren't special anymore, or at least not as special as "real" prizes. And so the winefest would again be on, only people would push for something different. That's what happens when you release an exclusive dragon in collectible game.

@Point: you're right that it wouldn't be a fix in terms of hard feelings about the raffle. But, black shimmersss! Pretty pretty pretty black shimmers. I don't need a rhyme or reason, I just want them, badly. X'D

(Actually any pretty black Eastern would work, really. Maybe if the cave had less of a slinky dragon deficiency I'd be less eager for this, haha)

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy