Sheriziya

ANSWERED:Release of Prize dragons in-cave

I totally agree with that last part smile.gif ! Better yet, in his first post he didn't even call them prizes:

The first, second, and third place winners will each receive a variant of a never-before-seen dragon. Let's call these variants gold, silver, and bronze. First place gets the gold variant, second place gets the silver variant, third place gets the bronze variant.

Of course the text does imply it's prizes, since he talks about first place, second, third and Gold, silver, bronze. Which of course both refers to prizes. But indeed, he didn't say they'd never be released in the cave. It was just a never-seen-before dragon......

I'm intrigued by your idea to have the shimmers won in the raffle have a special BSA. Breeding twice in a week instead of one might help with getting more shimmers out there, but I think it would mean it would have to hardcoded per dragon. I don't know how doable that would be.

I love the "link to event" suggestion. Although, there too, I foresee the possibility it will have to be hardcoded to the dragon. After all, we can have loads more shimmers on our scroll.

So, yes, I support both ideas, but I have my doubts if they're implementable.

I very much agree with sock. The problem is people's feelings about stuff, NOT the prizes. Prizes are special. Yes they are random. So - if you win the lottery and get lots of money, are you going to say you are obligated to share that money ? I doubt it. It would be your prize., You bought a ticket and you won it. That is exactly how these prizes are distributed - you get a ticket (with a game, rather than with cash, and you may or may not win. No it isn't an effort - but nor is buying any other raffle ticket. It isn;t some huge inequality. It's - luck.

Can we all agree that the raffles create drama around the forums? I think we can. That drama is user created, yes, but it seems to get worse every year. 'Everybody needs to get over it and move on' hasn't worked for three years, and I think the bad vibes are escalating, which to me points to a problem with the raffle in some way. It does need to change in some way, and an in cave release doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. I think there are betters ones, but I can't completely discount this one, either.

Also, as to comparing the raffle to a lottery, I don't thing they really are similar. I can enter a lottery as often as I like, and in Florida, there are drawings twice a week. Further, and I think this is the important difference, I don't have to watch a bunch of lottery winners spend their winnings in a small community setting. Not that I don't think the winners shouldn't prance around, I'm always excited amd happy for.them; but maybe after a few years it's time for those that haven't won for years in a row to also have a reason to be super excited.

A few years of having the exclusive ability to distribute 2ed gens in any matter that pleases, in a game the highly values low gens. Isn't that enough? Could that not be viewed as being a prize in and of itself?

edit;

also, a majority of games today have perks. betas, special items, etc. it's not like DC is the only game on the net that is like this.

True, and a reason I haven't left DC for one of those(despite many of them having more creatures, and more refined fearures) is that DC, until the prizes, didn't have that stuff. I can't be the only one.

Can we all agree that the raffles create drama around the forums? I think we can. That drama is user created, yes, but it seems to get worse every year. 'Everybody needs to get over it and move on' hasn't worked for three years, and I think the bad vibes are escalating, which to me points to a problem with the raffle in some way. It does need to change in some way, and an in cave release doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. I think there are betters ones, but I can't completely discount this one, either.

Also, as to comparing the raffle to a lottery, I don't thing they really are similar. I can enter a lottery as often as I like, and in Florida, there are drawings twice a week. Further, and I think this is the important difference, I don't have to watch a bunch of lottery winners spend their winnings in a small community setting. Not that I don't think the winners shouldn't prance around, I'm always excited amd happy for.them; but maybe after a few years it's time for those that haven't won for years in a row to also have a reason to be super excited.

A few years of having the exclusive ability to distribute 2ed gens in any matter that pleases, in a game the highly values low gens. Isn't that enough? Could that not be viewed as being a prize in and of itself?

edit;

also, a majority of games today have perks. betas, special items, etc. it's not like DC is the only game on the net that is like this.

True, and a reason I haven't left DC for one of those(despite many of them having more creatures, and more refined fearures) is that DC, until the prizes, didn't have that stuff. I can't be the only one.

You are not the only one. I've always said that DC is the best online adpoting game beacuse everybody can do do the what they want. This is intended even for the lineage makers.

CB Holidays and discontinued are the only exceptions, but they are motivated by more reasons than: "I had lucky that day, I become a semigod among other users and nobody can change anything about this".

We are not trying to take their prize away, in fact we love the sprite and not the "prize status" and this suggestion is for waiting years to have a chance to get them.

They would be a patience prize xd.png

Idk, I think that one of the things I don't understand is...if we institute this system and I win the next year's raffle, there is no point for me to select a prize dragon.

I mean sure I will be like trading for a few years (which irl I prob wont do because I only need a few things) but then it will be useless, and people will know that. There really isn't an incentive for me to pick prizes. And I think that defeats the purpose of a raffle.

Also, definiton of raffle:

a means of raising money by selling numbered tickets, one or some of which are subsequently drawn at random, the holder or holders of such tickets winning a prize.

Legal definition of raffle:

Raffle is a type of lottery played as part of gambling in which several persons pay money for paper tickets that provide an opportunity to win the prizes. Which one of them shall become the sole possessor of it is determined by chance. In raffle, each ticket is sold with a detachable coupon or stub. Both the ticket and its associated coupon or stub is marked with a unique and matching identifier. Winners of the prizes are determined by draw from among the coupons or stubs that have been detached from all tickets sold for entry in the draw. Some portion or share may be retained by the person conducting the raffle.

I don't know what the fuss about whether it's a lottery or raffle is going on tbh. It seems like raffles are just a form of lottery.

Edited by ylangylang

Releasing prize dragons - other than a possible "coal" variation - is the one suggestion of the lot that I'm firmly against. (No, I don't have a prize dragon.) It just doesn't feel right to me, partly because they're, well, prize dragons. Not regular rares.

Releasing prize dragons - other than a possible "coal" variation - is the one suggestion of the lot that I'm firmly against. (No, I don't have a prize dragon.) It just doesn't feel right to me, partly because they're, well, prize dragons. Not regular rares.

Yes, if we are gonna do this we might as well not call it a raffle or a prize dragon, just some sprite thats here.

If you want the raffle mechanism to go on I feel this is directly contradictory to the idea itself and should be better named "let's get rid of raffles"

Yes, if we are gonna do this we might as well not call it a raffle or a prize dragon, just some sprite thats here.

If you want the raffle mechanism to go on I feel this is directly contradictory to the idea itself and should be better named "let's get rid of raffles"

In fact their names are Shimmer and Tinsel. Not Prize Dragon.

They are the dragons who have start a prize, but it's not having them CB that makes them to be a prize, it's having them before than anyone else.

I think is inconsistent saying that you can have the sprite but not the CB dragon because they are different while you're also saying that lineages are not part of the game because there are no differences. If having them as CB is a prize than there is a difference. This don't means that it's right, however.

None dragon breed should depends by other users, that's what I think.

This creates just more anxiety for the winners and frustration for the other users. That's not what a prize should bring with itself.

Edited by Naruhina_94

In fact their names are Shimmer and Tinsel. Not Prize Dragon.They are the dragons who have start a prize, but it's not having them CB that makes them to be a prize, it's having them before than anyone else.

http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Prize_Dragons

Welp.

Also you are under a misconception here-when sorted alphabetically they get listed as "prize dragons" much like how Hollies and so on are sorted as "Christmas (year)".

If a scroll is sorted by breed, they appear alphabetized as "Prize 2010".

When sorted by "Breed" they are listed as "Prize 2012" on a users scroll.

And

I think is inconsistent saying that you can have the sprite but not the CB dragon because they are different while you're also saying that lineages are not part of the game because there are no differences. If having them as CB is a prize than there is a difference. This don't means that it's right, however.None dragon breed should depends by other users, that's what I think.This creates just more anxiety for the winners and frustration for the other users. That's not what a prize should bring with itself.

No what I am trying to say here is that the definition of a raffle denotes a degree of specialness to the prizes. That is the definition. That is how a raffle works. If you dislike that then call it something else or get rid of it altogether, a suggestion that I am neither here nor there with. I don't care if you get rid of the raffle-actually I do because there goes my only chance of obtaining a Frill but eh I can live with that-but I do dislike how one's need for something is considered more important than the actual name by which the event is called and thus by extension its definition. I EVEN GAVE YOU THE DEFINITION.

Yes there is a difference...because that is what THE NAME DENOTES. Change the event. Stop calling it a raffle then. You can't keep on calling it a raffle and then want that special prize when you don't get picked, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Make an alternate event! Get rid of it altogether! I don't care! But please stop this farce of a raffle you keep coming up with.

Edited by ylangylang

In fact their names are Shimmer and Tinsel. Not Prize Dragon.

In actual fact, their official name is prize dragon. Do a breed sort, which sorts the dragons alphabetically by official name. Tinsels and Shimmers fall just after Pink, just before Purple.

Just putting that out there.

edit: *eyes Ninja-ylang*

I personally am against this suggestion. One of the main stated objects of this suggestion is: "The trademarket gets balanced again." - it would not work that way, because there would always be new prize dragons which would be in the same category as the current prize dragons. Nothing would change. All it would do is make the prize dragons that moved into the category of HM be much less likely to be chosen because all that user would have to do is wait a year or so and they'd be available in the cave. Not much of a prize. There would probably even be some top prize winners who would chose a HM not-prize because all they'd have to do is be patient for awhile, whereas CB hollies and hybrids or alts are always going to be impossible to get any other way.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

In actual fact, their official name is prize dragon. Do a breed sort, which sorts the dragons alphabetically by official name. Tinsels and Shimmers fall just after Pink, just before Purple.

Just putting that out there.

Ok, maybe I've used the wrong words tongue.gif

Anyway I see it more as a way to order them, I mean, just because they are sorted like prizes I would never say that I have a prize even if I have shimmer and tinsel, which means that only who get them first had something new that cuold be called "prize". Sorry for the gap ^^''

Ok, maybe I've used the wrong words tongue.gif

Anyway I see it more as a way to order them, I mean, just because they are sorted like prizes I would never say that I have a prize even if I have shimmer and tinsel, which means that only who get them first had something new that cuold be called "prize". Sorry for the gap ^^''

Things are named for a reason. I am sure "lol listing" wasnt the reason behind why they were named that way.

They are called prizes because they are or descendents of prize dragons given out at raffles. It is THAT simple.

Things are named for a reason. I am sure "lol listing" wasnt the reason behind why they were named that way.

They are called prizes because they are or descendents of prize dragons given out at raffles. It is THAT simple.

Exactly. And making them less special to the winners by releasing them in cave is just - not on.

Honestly a massive gap between the initial raffle appearance and the cave release would make Prizes still highly valuable and still primarily prizes for a very long time. I mean, four years of having the only CB dragons of that type is pretty big, and many lineage players would likely persue low-gens of the raffle-released dragons anyway, because they're the originals. They just wouldn't be the sole source of low-gens after that point.

I mean, if I won a Prize with this system in place I'd still want it because it would still be special in a way that a cave-caught Prize wouldn't be. You guys are seriously underestimating how long four years is, especially given that this game hasn't even existed for a full eight years.

A prize is something won. You can win tickets to an early, exclusive movie showing. Nowhere (correct me if I'm wrong) has it been stated that those prizes would be forever exclusive. Implied, assumed to be, yes, but many other things have changed that we once considered set in stone as fact.

All that being said, I still can see why people are leery of it. But on the other side, even if this happens, winners will still enjoy many exclusive benefits that their in-cave counterparts will never enjoy. They gain celebrity status. Again, they don't always ask for this, but it's still what happens. They also get custom codes, and exclusive control (or close to it) of the trade markets for four years. Additionally, Thuweds and Dorkfaces have shown that some people value names and release dates very highly. The large amount of players always trading for "lines they don't have" suggests the originals will always remain highly value, even more so if they get some small symbol of their status as originals (ex: colored name text, retaining tinsel on the Tinsel while in cave ones lose it, different egg text).

So no, I don't think the winners have a huge reason to be disappointed by the idea. My main concerns about it are of an entirely different note; namely, how too many of the eggs would share similar text, and how some winners might be disappointed if they win, say, a prize #4 when they really wanted a Shimmerscale (although that's a problem currently as well).

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I agree, original prizes should mantein their original description while the relased ones should change ^^

CB Gold: "This egg is very reflective, almost metallic-looking."

CB Gold Shimmer: "This egg is very reflective, like a shiny piece of gold."

CB Silver Shimmer: "This egg is very reflective, like a shiny piece of silver."

CB Bronze Shimmer: "This egg is very reflective, like a shiny piece of bronze."

CB Tinsel Gold: "This egg is very reflective, like a precious mineral."

CB Tinsel Silver: "This egg is very reflective, like a precious piece of silver."

CB Tinsel Bronze: "This egg is very reflective, like a brilliant piece of bronze."

CB Gold: "This egg is very reflective, almost metallic-looking."

CB Gold Shimmer: "This egg is very reflective, like a shiny piece of gold."

CB Silver Shimmer: "This egg is very reflective, like a shiny piece of silver."

CB Bronze Shimmer: "This egg is very reflective, like a shiny piece of bronze."

CB Tinsel Gold: "This egg is very reflective, like a precious mineral."

CB Tinsel Silver: "This egg is very reflective, like a precious piece of silver."

CB Tinsel Bronze: "This egg is very reflective, like a brilliant piece of bronze."

LOL, that looks like an April Fools set-up. I can just imagine logging in and seeing every egg beginning with "This egg is very reflective."

"This egg is very reflective, with strange markings on it."

"This egg is very reflective, and surrounded by fog."

"This egg is very reflective, hidden in some leaves."

It would be mass chaos. :-D

LOL, that looks like an April Fools set-up. I can just imagine logging in and seeing every egg beginning with "This egg is very reflective."

"This egg is very reflective, with strange markings on it."

"This egg is very reflective, and surrounded by fog."

"This egg is very reflective, hidden in some leaves."

It would be mass chaos. :-D

I have a sudden fiendish desire to see this happen. lD

I have a sudden fiendish desire to see this happen. lD

I wish you hadn't said that. I want carrot cave back.

But I DO think many, maybe most, most winners will mind a cave release "quite a very lot" as my granddaughter would say.

As a solution to the problem, I don't see this as viable. It does nothing to alleviate the strangle hold on the trading economy. It doesn't really help out the people who are keen on making lineages ASAP.

Most people don't have it in themselves to put off gratification, they want what they want NOW and will pay to get it if they can. The people that ask and offer multiple rares are not going to change simply because they know that four years down the road those low gens will be much more common. The people that want to do lineages might settle for waiting, but I don't think it really satisfies those wants either. Four years before you can even begin to try to start a project, man that would require a whoooole lot of patience.

Edited by Tawanda001

As a solution to the problem, I don't see this as viable. It does nothing to alleviate the strangle hold on the trading economy. It doesn't really help out the people who are keen on making lineages ASAP.

Most people don't have it in themselves to put off gratification, they want what they want NOW and will pay to get it if they can. The people that ask and offer multiple rares are not going to change simply because they know that four years down the road those low gens will be much more common. The people that want to do lineages might settle for waiting, but I don't think it really satisfies those wants either. Four years before you can even begin to try to start a project, man that would require a whoooole lot of patience.

I still would prefer 4 years to wait than ever :/

With this period to wait winners could still earn and enjoi your prize, which is important, too.

Edited by Naruhina_94

i still think you guys are really just not paying attention to the fact that breeding has become such a huge part of the cave to the point that breeding your prize dragon is part of the prize dragon now.

the only way i can see cave release being fair to everyone (INCLUDING PRIZE OWNERS) is if it's just a coal/black/whatever version of the dragon.

why is it fair to the prize owners that their special, valuable dragon gets shoved into the cave just because everyone else wants them? why do we need to take away that special dragon from them?

is it really that huge of a deal that you can't have 2G prizes? does it really impact your life that much that you need to take away the specialness of something from those who fairly won them? it's not like elite people are the only people who win. there were a good few people who were "poor" DC wise this year that won.

i seriously just don't understand why everyone's panties are so bunched up over the raffle this year. it's ridiculous.

is it really that huge of a deal that you can't have 2G prizes? does it really impact your life that much that you need to take away the specialness of something from those who fairly won them?

Yes, it is. You are suggesting a different dragon that isn't what people need.

In my opinion it should be the most of the players to decide, even if it's sad to say.

Edited by Naruhina_94

Yes, it is. You are suggesting a different dragon that isn't what people need.

In my opinion it should be the most of the players to decide, even if it's sad to say.

i'm sorry but i really don't understand why a 2G prize dragon on this game impacts your life that much that you feel the need to rip away the dragons from the winners. i seriously can't understand.

all of this purely boils down to "i want this, but i can't have it. others have it because they're lucky, so i should have it too because i want it." that's literally it.

i'm sorry but i really don't understand why a 2G prize dragon on this game impacts your life that much that you feel the need to rip away the dragons from the winners. i seriously can't understand.

And I don't understand why it would impact a winner's life so much if after four years of complete trade dominance and celebrity status (and the added bonus that, like Thuweds and Dorkfaces, their dragon's offspring will likely always retain considerable trade value), other people got a chance to collect CBs in the cave. o3o

Edit: why does my phone always correct dragon's to drafon's what the heck is a drafon stop it phone

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

And I don't understand why it would impact a winner's life so much if after four years of complete trade dominance and celebrity status (and the added bonus that, like Thuweds and Dorkfaces, their dragon's offspring will likely always retain considerable trade value), other people got a chance to collect CBs in the cave. o3o

Edit: why does my phone always correct dragon's to drafon's what the heck is a drafon stop it phone

i just don't see a point. if people knew their dragons would become cave releases in four years, despite how long that is, why should they trade high valued dragons for something they could possibly get later on in the game? and it *is* a long time, yeah, but it would still make differences in the trade market. not to mention we'd need more prize dragons.