angelicdragonpuppy

Improve Prize Breeding Ratios

I can testify for a fact that one of the reasons I left for almost half a year was because it was stressful having people give me dragons and me not be able to give anything back.  I also returned because, again, it was to stressful to have all these IOU's left unpaid.  I can also attest to the fact that I have turned down offers of multiple CB metals.  But not for the reasons you think.  I didn't turn them down because I thought it would be to little.  Quite the opposite.  I turned them down because I felt bad getting offered that, when in my close to a year of playing I have seen one paper (Which I caught) and one chicken (Which I didn't) (I've seen no metals)  I don't believe in overcharging someone for something that I could only dream to get.  Hell, I've never seen a Magma or Ice in the cave and only once saw a thunder (Which I caught)  If this 'game' was 'equal' economically, we wouldn't require 'skill' to get dragons.  Besides which, who cares about CB's?  The only reason we have CB's is to make pretty lineages with wink.gif  I would gladly trade a 2nd gen for a pretty prize checker (Doesn't mean I will take more offers atm though tongue.gif )

If you expect to purebreed a dog from a mongrel, you'll be sorely disappointed more often than not. Same applies to DC: there are dragons which have a strong bloodline (political correct for being dirt-commons) and thus will go ages before they allow an egg of the other breed. I can almost guarantee you that you'll have at most ONE shimmer egg from your red finned tidal in the next half year.

Commons just breed like that to shinies: http://dragcave.net/progeny/n/qoppa%20silver%20alpha - in addition to that it took me over 500 tries to get another 2g silver.

Try uncommons and see shimmers for what they are... Breeding machines.

http://dragcave.net/progeny/n/liquid%20junior

http://dragcave.net/progeny/n/cs%20penta-gamma

Edited by whitebaron

If you expect to purebreed a dog from a mongrel, you'll be sorely disappointed more often than not. Same applies to DC: there are dragons which have a strong bloodline (political correct for being dirt-commons) and thus will go ages before they allow an egg of the other breed. I can almost guarantee you that you'll have at most ONE shimmer egg from your red finned tidal in the next half year.

Commons just breed like that to shinies: http://dragcave.net/progeny/n/qoppa%20silver%20alpha - in addition to that it took me over 500 tries to get another 2g silver.

Try uncommons and see shimmers for what they are... Breeding machines.

http://dragcave.net/progeny/n/liquid%20junior

http://dragcave.net/progeny/n/cs%20penta-gamma

But often, rare X rare pairings simply choose to give no egg wink.gif That is ratios at work here.

But often, rare X rare pairings simply choose to give no egg wink.gif That is ratios at work here.

Shimmers are not rares, and never have been. Their breeding actually indicates rather common. if you purebreed them, they produce eggs most of the time...

Against this.

Prize dragons should be prize dragons. If they breed like rabbits they loose what they made them special.

(Sorry for my english it feels wrong but i cannot put my finger on it why.)

Edited by Tigerkralle

As the OP I now believe more prizes + a change to how breeding mechanics work in general is a better solution.

A few people have pointed out that prizes can breed quite well with certain breeds, and that's true. The major slowdown on some prize owner lists (which I personally believe is what drives so many of them to leave the site--taking ages to pay back people or gift isn't fun at all) is usually because people want them to breed with certain obscenely common commons, which fail to produce shinies for months on end. Heck, this is even true of common x common pairings; if one breed is more common than another (hello, black teas, royal crimsons), it can totally eclipse the breeding of the other breed--even if the other breed is one that breeds super easily when paired with other things. Case in point: http://dragcave.net/progeny/5SI7 , an Old Pink x Black pair. Since March 2014 (a nearly NINE MONTH SPAN), I've only bred one black dragon, and not for lack of trying. Meanwhile I can breed black x most other dragons and get blacks in droves. Not fun.

So, having more of them, and giving rarer breeds (note that 'rare' can be subjective) a set chance to breed instead of making it rely so strongly on the more common one would be awesome. Maybe a 50/50 between which breed's ratios are rolled for first, and then each breed has a certain percentage chance to breed (like, silvers might vary between 2%-3%, so they're rare but can still wiggle slightly to keep the mechanics interesting, while something more typical like a black dragon might vary between a broader 20-50% chance. Just throwing out some pretty random numbers here, presumably TJ and conceptors would decide on actual rarities and how broad they can fluctuate).

I think breeding chances are just fine - sometimes I have dry spells, but that just makes it all the more awesome when I do get an egg... I gift most of the eggs I get - and I try not to breed them every week! Special means special, so - in my opinion - they shouldn't be more available, and definitely no to multi-clutches... I think that is better left for holidays! Just because some people want more, doesn't mean there should be more - I work hard on my lineages, and I like to be able to decide where my offspring go!

Against this.

Prize dragons should be prize dragons. If they breed like rabbits they loose what they made them special.

I agree with you - and what makes it sound wrong is that your "loose" should be "lose", and you need to lose one "they".

It should simply say

Prize dragons should be prize dragons. If they breed like rabbits they lose what made them special.

(I seem to recall you saying please correct my English; if that wasn't you I apologise. But it is actually pretty good smile.gif )

I agree with you - and what makes it sound wrong is that your "loose" should be "lose", and you need to lose one "they".

It should simply say

(I seem to recall you saying please correct my English; if that wasn't you I apologise. But it is actually pretty good smile.gif )

Thank you, only school english and hobbies. But whre is one they to much?

Yeah you know Germans and their english skill. wink.gif

Thank you, only school english and hobbies. But whre is one they to much?

Yeah you know Germans and their english skill. wink.gif

If they breed like rabbits they lose what they made them special.

My bold. It's "what" made them special. You don't need the extra definite article in English; it is understood.

We are off topic. Shhh !

Against this.

As a prize owner I disagree with this statement. what makes Prizes special is that a select few have the original CB. after that I don't really care. If my dragon bred true more ofthen than not then I would make damn sure everyone had a 2nd gen in their scroll at least once if not twice if they wanted different mates.

As a prize owner I beg of TJ to help us out and make them breed true even just a slight little bit and make them multi clutch. This just this would make the spread of 2nd gen love so, so, SO much easier.

As the OP I now believe more prizes + a change to how breeding mechanics work in general is a better solution.

A few people have pointed out that prizes can breed quite well with certain breeds, and that's true. The major slowdown on some prize owner lists (which I personally believe is what drives so many of them to leave the site--taking ages to pay back people or gift isn't fun at all) is usually because people want them to breed with certain obscenely common commons, which fail to produce shinies for months on end. Heck, this is even true of common x common pairings; if one breed is more common than another (hello, black teas, royal crimsons), it can totally eclipse the breeding of the other breed--even if the other breed is one that breeds super easily when paired with other things. Case in point: http://dragcave.net/progeny/5SI7 , an Old Pink x Black pair. Since March 2014 (a nearly NINE MONTH SPAN), I've only bred one black dragon, and not for lack of trying. Meanwhile I can breed black x most other dragons and get blacks in droves. Not fun.

So, having more of them, and giving rarer breeds (note that 'rare' can be subjective) a set chance to breed instead of making it rely so strongly on the more common one would be awesome. Maybe a 50/50 between which breed's ratios are rolled for first, and then each breed has a certain percentage chance to breed (like, silvers might vary between 2%-3%, so they're rare but can still wiggle slightly to keep the mechanics interesting, while something more typical like a black dragon might vary between a broader 20-50% chance. Just throwing out some pretty random numbers here, presumably TJ and conceptors would decide on actual rarities and how broad they can fluctuate).

I think something like this might help a lot. I was talking to a prize owner the other day, because I'd noticed that their prize had produced almost as many 2nd gen Prizes in 2014 as she did the other what, 4 years? she's been around.

And they mentioned that they've been managing their dragon's list differently. That they've been switching up mates, that people have been choosing less common dragons, that she's making them change mates if there's more than a couple fails, and the like.

And add Falconi's to the list of "breeds horribly". I just bred 13 Falconi x Royal Crimsons. I got 10 Falconi, 2 no interests, and 1 refusal. I mean, c'mon! This is a bloody blocker x blocker pairing!

So either a general change in the mechanic, or perhaps that Sunsong BSA I proposed.

Cheers!

C4.

Hah, I hear you. I had someone recently trying to breed a Hellhorse from Nhiostrife x Hellhorse from me. No luck. Meanwhile Copper x Hellhorse bred ONLY Hellhorse for weeks when I needed a Copper... despite that I can easily breed Coppers from Copper x Copper and other slightly less common things.

The breeding system is pretty screwy. :/

I think something like this might help a lot. I was talking to a prize owner the other day, because I'd noticed that their prize had produced almost as many 2nd gen Prizes in 2014 as she did the other what, 4 years? she's been around.

And they mentioned that they've been managing their dragon's list differently. That they've been switching up mates, that people have been choosing less common dragons, that she's making them change mates if there's more than a couple fails, and the like.

And add Falconi's to the list of "breeds horribly". I just bred 13 Falconi x Royal Crimsons. I got 10 Falconi, 2 no interests, and 1 refusal. I mean, c'mon! This is a bloody blocker x blocker pairing!

So either a general change in the mechanic, or perhaps that Sunsong BSA I proposed.

Cheers!

C4.

ugh... flaconi's are gonna be the death of me one day I swear..... Just... just ugh...

but yes I agree with ADP's post. The way ratios are determined needs to change. The site is not the same as it used to be and as such there have to be so many changes made to keep up with it all.

Someone wanna make a topic about it? I tried once before (albeit with a slightly less concrete suggestion, iirc) and it got shot down by TJ, so I'm scared to try again. ;;

Someone wanna make a topic about it? I tried once before (albeit with a slightly less concrete suggestion, iirc) and it got shot down by TJ, so I'm scared to try again. ;;

Hmmm.... Maybe a modification to the Sunsong BSA suggestion would be more acceptable? Have the sunsong determine which dragon is rolled for first?

The only other thing I can think of (since we don't know how the ratios work exactly), is multi-clutching, which we've both got threads up about. Uncover the covered egg by breeding more from that pairing.

Cheers!

C4.

I think either the sungsong BSA or simply suggesting an over all revamp of breed ratios all together. It would be helpful if for those of us intersted and able (I fail at math so I can't help much) to be contacted by TJ, explained how ratios work, and personally work with him to improve it all if he is willing.

Or again take the lazier route and just make a BSA for it xd.png

Either or works.

I think either the sungsong BSA or simply suggesting an over all revamp of breed ratios all together. It would be helpful if for those of us intersted and able (I fail at math so I can't help much) to be contacted by TJ, explained how ratios work, and personally work with him to improve it all if he is willing.

Or again take the lazier route and just make a BSA for it xd.png

Either or works.

Yep, I know of that Sunsong BSA. In fact, there are two of them. Luck, and Boost. If its Boost you are talking about.... Check the OP. wink.gif

And yea, there's something about age in it, too. I just got 9 Frostbites and 4 no interests... From Trihorns, who are normally Blocker Suspect #3 (gotta leave room for Black Teas and Crimsons!).

CHeers!

C4.

Yep, I know of that Sunsong BSA. In fact, there are two of them. Luck, and Boost. If its Boost you are talking about.... Check the OP. wink.gif

And yea, there's something about age in it, too. I just got 9 Frostbites and 4 no interests... From Trihorns, who are normally Blocker Suspect #3 (gotta leave room for Black Teas and Crimsons!).

CHeers!

C4.

I saw I just hope a solid form of explanation is reached so I can actually understand all that is happening. When my head hurts less and am a little less hungry I will give reading through that thread one more time.

All in all something in breeding ratios must be fixed. C4, thank you for taking charge in this fight xd.png