Descripforce

Description Force!

@Kakaru_of_DOOM, thank you for the squee-inducing description on this dragon!

(For those that don't know, the referenced Duotones are mine! :D )

Hywater heard of a great tournament where a group of duotones had a cook-off with various arbitrary ingredients and wanted to participate, but he was at the distinct disadvantage of not being a duotone.

Edited by Lagie
Adding link...

Out of curiosity, are descriptions still being approved, or has there been a pause on that? I have descriptions that have been awaiting moderation for almost a year now, and I'm unsure of if writing more would add to potential bloat/slowdown. Or is there somewhere I should be going to request my descriptions to be reviewed by a moderator? 

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask; if I should be asking somewhere else, please let me know! 

4 hours ago, Sylvain said:

Out of curiosity, are descriptions still being approved, or has there been a pause on that? I have descriptions that have been awaiting moderation for almost a year now, and I'm unsure of if writing more would add to potential bloat/slowdown. Or is there somewhere I should be going to request my descriptions to be reviewed by a moderator? 

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask; if I should be asking somewhere else, please let me know! 

You can always PM me directly and I'll have a look. It's mostly me doing descriptions - there's no 'official' pause on it, but I work full time now, so. Lately there's been a lot of spam and unfortunately I spend most of my time clearing that out. There's over 3k descriptions waiting.

PM me your scroll name and I'm happy to 'take requests' as they say. I'll give them a look.

24 minutes ago, Kaini said:

You can always PM me directly and I'll have a look. It's mostly me doing descriptions - there's no 'official' pause on it, but I work full time now, so. Lately there's been a lot of spam and unfortunately I spend most of my time clearing that out. There's over 3k descriptions waiting.

PM me your scroll name and I'm happy to 'take requests' as they say. I'll give them a look.

Understood, thank you so much! 

Wow, more than 3k descriptions in backlog... That's wild! My gut instinct is to ask if there's a way that the community could help with that, or if it would be a situation with an additional mod...?

I'm sorry to hear about the spam, too, that's a bummer.

1 hour ago, Feathers said:

Wow, more than 3k descriptions in backlog... That's wild! My gut instinct is to ask if there's a way that the community could help with that, or if it would be a situation with an additional mod...?

The more reviewing we can do, the better! If a description has several 'accepts' a mod can approve it more quickly.

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

The more reviewing we can do, the better! If a description has several 'accepts' a mod can approve it more quickly.

I'll have to do more reviewing!!

On 3/7/2021 at 3:19 PM, Feathers said:

I'll have to do more reviewing!!

What Lagie said! And accepts with text help me the most - if you 'this all looks good' I have confidence it has actually been read over and is fine, rather than just users hitting accept over and over.

If it's not good, explain why, if I agree I can just say 'see user comments' and hit reject and move on more quickly than having to sit there and type out what is wrong. This is massively helpful.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Kaini said:

And accepts with text help me the most - if you 'this all looks good' I have confidence it has actually been read over and is fine, rather than just users hitting accept over and over.

Eeps. I'll have to do more commenting then! Sorry about that. (I always comment on abstains and rejects, though.)

Edited by Lagie
Clarification

10 hours ago, Lagie said:

Eeps. I'll have to do more commenting then! Sorry about that. (I always comment on abstains and rejects, though.)

Totally fine too haha, I'm not too fussed about the accepts, the rejects n such are the important ones! I've just seen some things with errors get upvoted a loooot so the commentary makes me more confident when I read over quickly.

i usually comment when i approve ^^  i've been seeing a lot of one-line descriptions just saying what their dragon's name translates to and i wasn't sure what to feel about those ones.. and there were a LOT of them

31 minutes ago, InvaderAlexis said:

i usually comment when i approve ^^  i've been seeing a lot of one-line descriptions just saying what their dragon's name translates to and i wasn't sure what to feel about those ones.. and there were a LOT of them

I saw a couple of those too, I rejected them cuz I personally don't feel that a single sentence stating "X's name means Y" is a description. Needs more details, even just a couple more sentences. 

13 minutes ago, Chaosdawn said:

I saw a couple of those too, I rejected them cuz I personally don't feel that a single sentence stating "X's name means Y" is a description. Needs more details, even just a couple more sentences. 

that's what i wrote as well, for one or two of them... and then i realized that there were a LOT of them, and gave up. shame that that's what's clogging up the description backlog right now.

Just now, InvaderAlexis said:

that's what i wrote as well, for one or two of them... and then i realized that there were a LOT of them, and gave up. shame that that's what's clogging up the description backlog right now.

Those should be gone by now. They're no longer in my queue at least.

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Those should be gone by now. They're no longer in my queue at least.

yep, just got back  into it and i haven't seen any... but still, its very unfortunate that time was wasted having to deal with all of them that could have been put towards approving other descritpions :( 

i DID just stumble across a description which was.... blank. huh. was just a couple of spaces.

Edited by InvaderAlexis

I'll go through some more later when I get home from work. Not that I feel like going to work today. XD

I was wondering why there seemed to be a lot more "this looks good" in Accept comments. XD I do so much blank accepting I have to get in a commenting habit.

I wandered onto some pending description critters and found some that are now User Descriptions. Thanks, Kaini! And other mods who might be on the queue :)

19 minutes ago, Dirtytabs said:

I was wondering why there seemed to be a lot more "this looks good" in Accept comments. XD I do so much blank accepting I have to get in a commenting habit.

I wandered onto some pending description critters and found some that are now User Descriptions. Thanks, Kaini! And other mods who might be on the queue :)

Doing your descriptions would tackle 1/6th or so of what is currently in the queue. I'm coming for you >)

Eep. I only have ~350 pending descriptions right now myself.

Before you get to my scroll, Kaini, I have a question:
Abstain: "Won't shut up" might be potentially flagged as offensive. Otherwise it's great

The "won't shut up" is in the aforementioned dragon's name field (he talks a lot), so do I need to jump in and rephrase this before you find him, or is this particular wordage acceptable?

34 minutes ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

Eep. I only have ~350 pending descriptions right now myself.

Before you get to my scroll, Kaini, I have a question:
Abstain: "Won't shut up" might be potentially flagged as offensive. Otherwise it's great

The "won't shut up" is in the aforementioned dragon's name field (he talks a lot), so do I need to jump in and rephrase this before you find him, or is this particular wordage acceptable?

'Only' about 400 😂 

That's fine. I don't see anything offensive about that. 

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. Just making sure, since there's so few options when names are involved.

As for the 'only', I'm just doing the math. You said Tabs has about a sixth of the current pending descriptions, and d.png says there are about 3,000 descriptions in the queue, so a sixth of that would put Tabs at 500-ish descriptions - a silver trophy's worth of pending descriptions! If those numbers are all accurate, I'm 150 descriptions behind.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:59 PM, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

As for the 'only', I'm just doing the math. You said Tabs has about a sixth of the current pending descriptions, and d.png says there are about 3,000 descriptions in the queue, so a sixth of that would put Tabs at 500-ish descriptions - a silver trophy's worth of pending descriptions! If those numbers are all accurate, I'm 150 descriptions behind.

Yea,  that's... pretty accurate, haha. I only poke fun bc I have so many to go thru - slow down! (This is all in good fun :P I am still very in favor of having dedicated description moderators, however...)

11 hours ago, Kaini said:

I am still very in favor of having dedicated description moderators, however...)

That would be awesome! In the meantime, we'll try to help as much as we can! :D

Sorry, y'all will see my description again, it was late when I did it and I didn't realize it was cut off at the end. I fixed it and resubmitted it. >.<

On 3/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, Lagie said:

That would be awesome! In the meantime, we'll try to help as much as we can! :D

Another in favor of dedicated description mods here! Though I always feel weird calling for someone to do a job that I personally couldn't volunteer to do, haha.

Anyway, I've been trying to do a few reviews at least any time I write a new description of my own, like a take-a-penny-leave-a-penny situation lol Kaini, thanks for all you're doing! I saw a couple of mine go from pending to approved in the last few days. I felt like I had a bunch at sixty-odd pending, but dang, KoD and Tabs!! Those are some astounding numbers!