Descripforce

Description Force!

Good luck with the approval process, mods! I recently got back into describing my dragons. Here's one, for one of my Undead dragons! 

Sei'itr hatched in the middle of a a vast desert, carefully nestled in foliage growing around a secluded oasis. It was at this oasis that he grew, nourished by the fruits that were bountiful there. He had just reached maturity when disaster struck: a rampaging Fell Dragon, malnourished by the desert and in search of food and water, trampled into his home, careless of the dragon who made his home there. When the Fell came to, and realized it had trampled the little dragon, it took to burying him by the oasis, giving him some respect after his untimely death. 
Six days later, under the light of a blood red moon, a claw emerged from the mud, followed by another. The shambling corpse of Sei'itr, empowered by some magical force, dragged itself from the ground, heaps of dirt and sand tumbling from his rotting wings, and roared. The decomposing dragon left the oasis for the very first time, determined that even death would not stop him from living.

Thanks to whichever one of you approved my last few stragglers! (Which may have happened a while ago, as I haven't been checking regularly.)

On 6/15/2020 at 6:50 PM, Dirtytabs said:

Oh my gosh, that spike in early June. There were that many of those non-descriptions?

Yes e.e

Stateraxenowyrms went extinct millennia ago, but some doubt this fact due to their kind's recent resurgence. The truth is, the modern stateraxeno population came from wyrms that were either brought back from fossils by avatar-level creation magic or, like Eeveexeno, pulled into modern day by powerful time magic. Eeveexeno was brought to modern day by the Love Song Chronoxenowyrms. In his native epoch he was looked down upon for being more interested in planning rather than throwing magic at a situation until something worked, but in modern day his intellectual tendencies are appreciated. He is not smart by modern standards, but he has a spell that uses balance mana to temporarily boost cognitive function and often uses it on himself and other dragons he trusts. The Love Song chronoxenos are trying to help him start a business based on his ability to provide this service. He still struggles with a number of modern concepts, most notably money and indoor plumbing.

Reject: this is the middle ages, the era of castles and knights, kings and kingdoms. get with the program.

While I do not appreciate the rudeness of this commenter, upon rereading my description I noticed I used the phrase "modern day". My intention was "contemporaneous with the rest of my scroll" - mediaeval Valkemare as supposed to primeval Valkemare. (I realise indoor plumbing may be a tad anachronistic, but the ancient Romans had plumbing back in their day, and with the GoNC I have an in-lore explanation for superior toiletries.) Do I need to reword "modern day"? I'm 24 characters shy of the limit, so I don't have much wiggle room here.

So, I keep seeing the term "born" used to refer to dragons in various descriptions. To me, this makes no sense in the context of egg-based reproduction. Is it supposed to refer to when the egg was laid? When the wyrmling hatched? I personally feel like the term "born" is specific to creatures which reproduce via live birth.

What does everyone else think?

I would equate born with hatched and probably not even question it. In fact, I have likely used it in a description or two myself without realizing.

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

I would equate born with hatched and probably not even question it. In fact, I have likely used it in a description or two myself without realizing.

Yea, doesn't bother me. born = hatched, though hatched is probably more 'correct' the other term doesn't phase me.

I'm also in the 'I probably wouldn't notice it much' camp, though now that I think about it, hatched would indeed probably make a bit more sense? But born wouldn't stand out as terribly strange to me.