Descripforce

Description Force!

Making disses? Not sure that's allowable?

Posted (edited)

I wasn't really sure how to word it? I just meant that she just takes small jabs at them from time to time.

Edited by subwoofer

Taking pot shots, perhaps? Disses is slangy. But a mod might be able to confirm.

https://dragcave.net/view/yqPk1

Nhio Bet is a bookie, and a very successful one at that. Where there are sports or events upon which people and dragons can bet, Nhio Bet is there with the odds and the funds to back up those odds. When stickwaterball became a sport to be followed, Nhio Bet was right there at the start, learning all the players and the teams, calculating the odds, laying the bets. Like most of Lagie's nhios, Nhio Bet has a soft spot for mint dragons, so he watches with particular interest the mint team from Peachycupcake's caves, but he tries not to let that affect his opinions. He knows his customers well, and he always knows that Jessa will be in to bet on the Pipefish wherever and whenever they're playing. "It's a sure bet," he says, about everything it seems, so he's often referred to as Sure Bet instead of Nhio Bet, but he doesn't mind that in the least, so long as he's the one laying the odds.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:59 PM, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

You're welcome. I make a lot of typos too, so it's always nice to have someone to spot them. Recently, I've been consistently typing 'me' instead of 'be'. Every time I read 'the Moon' in those descriptions I jump, but I assume you started that project before Valkemare and its two moons were introduced.

You're correct! ^^; This project was initially just a breeding one, that then became a story of some moondrunk Moonstones, that then became...a cult...? You know. As ya do.

Thank you for that note, too -- I've decided to incorporate that into their mythos! This will be spread across several dragons' descriptions, but basically, I'm going to make it a part of their cultishness -- there ARE two moons, but their valley, nestled between several mountains, only leaves space to see the partial arc of Aurax, obscuring almost all of Cirion's path. The leaders of the Weyr of the Moon worship and focus worship on Aurax, denouncing the existence of Cirion and banishing as heretics any who suggest there's a second moon. It'll probably be a part of their downfall, since lying about two moons in the sky is a Big One for a cult to overcome...?

Anyway. Thank you for the feedback, it's been super helpful and has given me lots of different story ideas!

I've been reviewing the past few days and came across several descriptions with dragons that are emotionally traumatised because they discovered they were abandoned as eggs. (A lot of them were from non-visible scroll(s) so it might actually be one user who takes the AP more seriously than a gameplay mechanic, but anyways.) I want to counter that negativity with some more positive prompts:

- An emotional support dragon.

- An appreciative dragon.

On 5/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

- An emotional support dragon.

Does this count as emotional support...? I really wanted to describe this dragon, but for the longest time I wasn't sure what to do, so this gave me some inspiration. It is a bit simple though, if anyone has any ideas for expanding it, I'd be interested. 

Union, like many other Magelights, works down in a mine. However, he's a bit different from the others. He tends to stick close to the newer, less experienced miners to calm them. Working in a mine can be rather frightening for humans, he noticed, and he simply doesn't want anyone on his team to be scared.
As such, he can often be found perched on the shoulder of the newest member, assuring them that he'll protect them and light the way. He's helped many people get over their fears and realize it's not so bad to be underground.

Three new ones completed - two more from the Covid group, and one that was meant to be a poem and turned out totally not as a poem. XD

https://dragcave.net/view/ZhP8p

Daily Briefings was born during that time worldwide when all the humans in all the caves had to spend a protracted amount of time at home alone in order to prevent the spread of a highly infectious virus. Briefings was supposed to be the highly-informative, up-to-date disseminator of important information regarding the progress of the virus and the efforts to keep it in check. Briefings, however, used the time to boast about himself, and to give lots of inaccurate unproven medical advice, advice that turned out to be downright deadly when some hapless humans followed it. Fewer and fewer dragons showed up for the updates as time passed but Briefings never let that bother him, he was so busy pontificating that he barely even noticed their absence. Among a sea of script dragons that look a lot alike, Briefings can be easily identified by the unusual but very distinct orange hue of his scales.

https://dragcave.net/view/LEHvs

Curbside was born during that time worldwide when all the humans in all the caves had to spend a protracted amount of time at home alone in order to prevent the spread of a highly infectious virus. As the virus seemed to subside, the humans were allowed briefly out of their homes, but could only go shopping for non-essential services at places that could provide curbside service. Curbside took it upon herself to find out what most of the humans thought they needed, and then made the effort to learn the necessary skills to meet the need. Thus came about the rather unusual sight of a very large dragon wielding a teeny pair of scissors, at the side of the track, cutting hair off the heads of the humans. Not knowing what to do with the hair she'd cut off, Curbside left it deep in the forests for the birds to use in their nests.

https://dragcave.net/view/nrwSi

Nwursi is a silent rift. From birth, she has never uttered a sound. No moans. No cries. She listens, though, to the wind in the trees, to the waves of the ocean, and to the thoughts of nearby dragons. Late at night, she silently sorts through the stones of her hoard, creating patterns. The other dragons call it art. Nwursi reads the patterns in her stones and sees the wind in the trees, the waves of the ocean, the thoughts of nearby dragons. Nwursi speaks through her stones but no one has yet figured out how to listen.

One of the oldest Red-Tailed Wyrm in the Mahajanapadas, Sulbasutras has begun to rely less on his eyesight and quick wits to sustain himself, and more on his wisdom and intelligence. He soon discovered humans were keen to listen to his teachings and would reward him accordingly. 
He has always had an obsession with mathematics, physics and geometry. In his younger days, he would quickly calculate the best angle and momentum for swooping up an unsuspecting prey, or spend days contemplating the exact shape and gradient most suitable for the nest he wanted to carve out of a cliff side. In his old age, Sulbasutras relays his knowledge to humans and dragons alike, teaching practical application as well as the underlying higher principles of his favorite exact sciences.

• Abstain: One of the oldest Red-Tailed Wyrms (add s to Wyrms)
  • Accept:
  • Accept: The dragon is female, but you refer to it as a "he?" Not judging, just wondering why?

How. How did I misread the gender. This is why comments are awesome, thank you commenters!

I assume in the actual setting, few eggs are abandoned unless they're... misshapen or thought to be dead or something. So it'd make sense for abandonment to affect their well-being. I mostly just ignore it.

Coppers have "wing arms with a defined thumb that they can use like hands", so maybe you misremembered them on fever wyverns, KoD?

Ah, I found this while combing my checker lineage list. A description based on a typo in the queue (I hope it was a typo).

Something in that description sounded familiar, so I went looking. Dragonfire Circus is one of mine and it does have a "lion" act consisting of dragons in costumes. No brutes, though, and I couldn't find a "burte" when I searched my out-of-date backup.

This is less a typo and more not being able to read my own handwriting. Did get a few descriptions out of "wanter" magic, though.

I know I have a couple of typo-based descriptions, but I can't find them.

Posted (edited)

I'd say that counts, Subwoofer. Union seems to be supporting the miners emotionally as well as with illumination.

Don't worry, Mirhana, it's easy to misread the gender of a dragon. That information isn't listed on the description-writing page, so on non-dimorphic dragons I get mixed up all the time. (I think there was a request to put that information there, but I don't know what happened to it.)

Coppers! That must be where that thumb thing came from. Thanks, Tabs. JJ must be a fever with thumbs like a copper...

...Wanter magic? May I borrow that concept for a door-to-door salesdragon?

Anyways. Writing prompt!
- A dragon dedicated to a cause.

Edited by Kakaru_of_DOOM

Ah, I must've borrowed the lions-in-costumes circus from you, Mathcat, and found a misspelled brute in another description.

Does it count if the in-story story describes someone dedicated to a cause?

Sea Mither lives in the sea during the summer and works to confine a nasty demon to the ocean depths. She also performs benevolent labors, such as warming the water and making summer breezes. Each spring, she battles her archenemy, Teran, who is capable of causing awful storms and tries to control the sea and weather. She wins and sends him to the depths, but she is exhausted from this fight and her summer work. Teran returns in the fall, ousting her and causing the seas to roll, the sky to darken, and storms to stir up. In the spring, Sea Mither is refreshed and able to again fight Teran for control of the seas. Their battles every year explain seasonal ocean weather.
Well, OK, maybe most of that isn't true. Sea Mither isn't really responsible for the weather, other than localized calm seas, and she doesn't have an archenemy. But it makes a great story, and Sea Mither loves telling stories. If there's a real Sea Mither, she hopes Sea Mither doesn't mind her "stealing credit".

(Mither = mother. Uh, happy Mother's Day!)

Posted (edited)

On 5/8/2020 at 11:40 PM, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

Anyways. Writing prompt!
- A dragon dedicated to a cause.

Social distancing is kind of a cause...

https://dragcave.net/view/geE1T

Social Distancing was born during that time worldwide when all the humans in all the caves had to spend a protracted amount of time at home alone in order to prevent the spread of a highly infectious virus. Social is herself a very sociable dragon and loves to spend time with her fellow dragons and passing humans alike, so she knew it was going to be difficult for some of the humans to follow the new-to-them rules of keeping their distance from each other. While Stay at Home, the red dragon, made sure the humans stayed home when they were supposed to, Social took it upon herself to help the humans keep away from each other when they were allowed to be out. After all, it's hard to get too close to one's fellow humans when there's a sizeable dragon standing between you and them, insisting that you keep your distance.

https://dragcave.net/view/zj3b6

Contact Tracing was born during that time worldwide when all the humans in all the caves had to spend a protracted amount of time at home alone in order to prevent the spread of a highly infectious virus.Contact Tracing found he had a knack for keeping track of which humans had met with which other humans, a skill that came in very handy when the human medics wanted to know who was likely to be next to contract the virus. Though no one knows who Patient Zero was, Contact Tracing has kept careful charts on all the patients he has met. The charts tend to resemble spokes on a wheel with each line leading to a contact of the primary patient. Spokes of different colours then show the next contacts and so on. Contact Tracing delights in the shapes on the graphs but wishes he had a way to stop the virus from spreading along the spokes. He doesn't like it when 'his' humans get sick or die.

I have a theme going - https://dragcave.net/group/123557

Edited by Lagie

Indeed, the mountain is starting to build up. I can only claim about... well, my 'pending' group is at two hundred and twenty five, but I haven't checked every description since that most recent little dip of mod evaluation. So yeah, from the bottom to just over that first black line, that's my measly contribution to the pile. Or maybe I'm a segment somewhere in the middle somewhere.

I still have a couple of prompts lying around. Are we trying to get the backlog back up to 14,000? 

- A dragon who teaches higher education.

Posted (edited)

Better than the 10,000+ once upon a time. 😆

Ah! This is new.

ZRW2JcA.png

Edited by Dirtytabs

7 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

Ah! This is new.

ZRW2JcA.png

Ooh. Cool. *goes to check her own action log* Yup. CDC is there! Nice addition.

I was totally caught by surprise by the new release today. It has, however, inspired me with some description writing prompts:

- A dragon having a hatchday party.

- A surprise!

I'm not sure if these are repeats from that master list of everything everyone has suggested as a writing prompts so far since whenever (the dawn of writing prompts on this thread?), but hey. 

Posted (edited)

On 5/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

- A dragon who teaches higher education.

I tried an idea involving mushrooms and kush and the idea sputtered, so...

McManus is the glaciology and climatology teacher at Lumino Polytechnic. He is also an enthusiastic amateur wavewind rider and once placed eighth at the Ma'at Headland Meet, and he once touched wings with Fill "Flappers" de Brand, the only flightless athlete to place first. McManus tries to keep the wavewind riding part of his life a secret from his students, but a few have been fans of local coastal sports and found out anyway. A student combined wavewind and glacial deposits as her final project, While pleasantly surprised and somewhat uneasy, McManus gave it top marks because the resulting diorama and report were somehow cohesive, and he's very proud that she decided to study the long history of glacial movement at the Headland.

Edited by Dirtytabs

Ann O'Nymous may be a lavender ameraucana, but she self-identifies as a duck. She likes mud, chooses to share a nest with the ducks rather than the other chickens, and even beds down on the ground with her web-footed peers rather than flying up to the roost at night. She tried jumping in the pond once, but decided that was one duck activity she could do without. Since she was a tiny puffball of feathers, she wanted to be just like Rhapsody from Carmen and the Ducks.

Music, unfortunately, has never been Ann's strong suit. She has become an author instead and writes romances targeted at the young adult age group. Her first book was published when she was still a pullet, and to this day she is still known for writing chick lit.

Accept: I love her.

Abstain: Pretty original and funny description, but in all honesty I don't know what to make of it. I'll leave it to the mods.

This description - at least, the "self-identifies as a duck" part - is based on an actual chicken. She really did end up in the ducky tub once and needed a thorough blow-drying. I have no idea if, were she sufficiently intelligent and literate, if she would have any interest in creating literature.

470713705_AnnHershweb.JPG.d3bf58f6ee408d17ffae4427ed0f1b98.JPG

Ann and Hershey. The rear end of Rhapsody is visible on the left, and the black-laced-red wyandotte in the background is Sleepy. 

Makes a good writing prompt!

- A description inspired by a real animal/individual.

I often write drakes as if they were dogs (with varying friendliness but always illiterate), so I will not just plop down a drake description here. :lol:

Villain's Tridecagon is very good at taking complicated things and explaining them in even more complicated ways. She tried to devise a simple puzzle for those who want to find her lair and get her treasure, but when her work was done, it became very difficult to solve, and she lounges rather disappointedly at the end of the puzzle waiting for visitors. Many in their attempts to locate Tridecagon give up and just shout greetings and nice things into the tunnel before leaving. Some have left paintings and nail polish for her, even though paintings don't survive long in the dankness, and she has no nails. When she's found outside her lodgings, people inexplicably want to speak with her and ask her to explain things to them. It seems they find her entertaining.

It got a comment! Accept: important question, is the nail polish for the horns or teeth or both? :o

Better the horns, so she doesn't ingest any.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:17 AM, Lagie said:

Sorry guys - as you know the world's been nuts lately and I haven't had the motivation. Another mod and I had a party and got them down to under 1500, I'm hoping to start keeping up again.

That being said I'm moving quickly to get them knocked down, so many things will get fast rejects for small issues that I don't have time to fix, so feel free to resubmit. I'll say why or see user comments if that explains it.

15 minutes ago, Kaini said:

Sorry guys - as you know the world's been nuts lately and I haven't had the motivation. Another mod and I had a party and got them down to under 1500, I'm hoping to start keeping up again.

That being said I'm moving quickly to get them knocked down, so many things will get fast rejects for small issues that I don't have time to fix, so feel free to resubmit. I'll say why or see user comments if that explains it.

*waves* I would be that other mod. :) Kaini and I are going to start tag-teaming to knock these down again. We will start keeping up on these.

1 hour ago, Kaini said:

55 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

*waves* I would be that other mod. :) Kaini and I are going to start tag-teaming to knock these down again. We will start keeping up on these.

Something to keep your energy up:

Homemade-Brownies-2.jpg