Descripforce

Description Force!

SO how often do people meet on #descripdoom? I am trying to familiarize myself with it atm.

Except on Sunday, we kind of visit #descripdoom whenever we feel like it. I like to go there and sit around. smile.gif

Don't push yourself - your thesis should come before reviewing.

Thanks. <3

~

I have a little time for descriptions tonight. Gonna pop by IRC to see if anybody is still there. o.o

My IRC bouncer has broken and I haven't been able to fix it yet, so I can't lurk in descripdoom as I usually do. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, I'll try to come back in whenever I'm around!

Disclaimer: I am not a Descripdoom chat mod. I have not spoken with any of the Descripdoom chat mods about this. I don't even know if there's any point in bringing this up. This is just something I have been noticing for a while, and then Herk's topic title (wondering if anyone else besides Rainstar still used the chat) happened to bring it to mind again tonight.

Every so often, there will be some description-related event that draws new people to Descripdoom. For a couple of weeks, there's more activity, and then it's back to the handful of regulars. Some of the regulars leave the site or get drawn away by real life, and then Descripdoom is a ghost town again. A few months pass, and the pattern repeats.

So, is there anything that can be done to encourage people to stay around? Is there something about the channel that discourages people from coming back? Is Descripdoom actually busier than I think and I'm just not around at the right time? Thoughts?

I'll start by paraphrasing what I wrote here a couple of months ago. For my part, I'm not around as much both because I'm busy and because I don't feel I have much of interest to contribute (which is all me and nothing new or that can be fixed). If I'm probably just going to idle until marked as away, then I feel like I might as well not show up. It also doesn't help that I'm keeping really weird hours right now - hence my third question in the paragraph above.

Now, having said that, I really had fun with the formal and informal review days last month, especially with being able to give (and get) description inspiration. I understand why those went by the wayside, what with college and graduate school and jobs and all of the billion and one other far-more-important real-life conflicts, but still, they were fun.

It's definitely not just your timing, MC, and this bad period is the worst we've had in the past couple of years. So many regulars have largely vanished between technology issues and RL priorities. That resultant emptiness is the only real "discouraging" thing about the channel atm - nobody manages to be available at the same time as anyone else.

Unfortunately there's not much that can really be done about that... if most of us don't have time to hang out in the chat for fun, we don't have time to take part in a big event either. I'd be fine with more informal review days since those definitely made a difference, but my schedule doesn't have much wiggle room so it might have to be planned between you non-mods. (Herk has other complications atm too and while I don't want to speak for her, she might not be able to help either.)

However, I should have free time during most of Thanksgiving week so if a few of you were interested in doing something bigger in the November 20st-26th range then I could probably be there to keep people company.

I feel really bad for leaving descripdoom in the dark so much, but 99% of the time when I'm not busy with college/work/volunteering then I'm either too exhausted or too stressed-out for socializing. I'm really sorry, guys, I hate seeing y'all unhappy with the channel atm...

:/

Well, it's not like I've been particularly active myself or done anything to fix the problem. Sometimes, things like this just die off or go dormant, and it's not always worth the time or trouble of trying to revive them. No matter what happens with the channel, we'll still have this thread.

Edited by Mathcat

I am super busy with my new job. It is really pulling a lot out of me. I will rejoin the IRC channel as soon as I am able but not sure on that timing. But I had an experience recently that makes me appreciate that channel and this group and thread and the dragon descriptions so much more lately. Also, I had a fantastic 2 day in city training seminar. But some of the people there were really .... stupid... dumb... poorly educated with word choice? I mention this becuz wink.gif this is a Descrip Force Story. I might also post it elsewhere because it just seems to me that if anything.... yes it's one of those "yes it really happened to me stories" that people roll their eyes at and don't believe cuz they think it's a bad joke you are making for a low level groan, laugh, pun, etc.

Anyways, let me make it clear it was for INSURANCE. The stuff that protects you for liability and accidents and damage and stuff you buy so you can feel secure. Additionally, these people were not disadvantaged. I have worked in a place where I understood very quickly I had a much better genetic lottery advantage and a much better educational advantage even though I'd just gone to public schools. These people were both White, Middle Class, have been doing this longer than me in this particular position for sales to customers (I have done a lot of other things related, but I'm just saying, for this company, they are more "experienced" by month or years). No visible learning disabilities. Both seemed to have had at least a good to very good public school education and possibly also college and plenty of time for real world education as well in a professional profession job.

So we are listing advantages of something and one of them is giving the person the knowledge of security. Or another way to say it, "Peace of Mind." Except the male (50ish, maybe late 40's) has it written as P I E C E or "Piece of Mind." I mean, that would be funny as irony or a punny word play for sarcasm or something. Except it wasn't. Neither could the female (20's but had been doing this for many years growing up in it with her family) spell it correctly. So I tried to explain it was spelled P E A C E not P I E C E. The man argued with me. He's like "Piece of Mind." Yes, sir, you are right, that is an English Idiom, but normally it's a "Piece of My Mind" or "Giving Someone a Piece of My/Their" mind as in going off or being angry. I tried again to explain that P E A C E, like peace, calm, no war or conflict... vs P I E C E that was like a portion or a part of something. He pulled up his cell phone and I guess typed in Piece of Mind and found something to show as his "proof" I was wrong, and while that does make another idiom, it is either the exact opposite or the logical inverse of "peace of mind," which is what we are going for. The female didn't know either and wanted to stop the conflict and spelled it both ways to present to the other groups.

If I was a customer, and my agent wrote down that I would have "piece of mind", I would be concerned they couldn't spell such an important "value and reason" for buying their product. I might even take it offensively and think they are playing games and being a jerk and thinking I'm dumb and doing something at my expense because they think I am complaining too much like I'm giving them or they are giving me a piece of their/my mind and .... well you see....

So don't think English language and comprehension and spelling doesn't have it's place. There are real world applications to those descriptions, folks!

Anyway, may you all find your own Piece of Peace in Life and Have a great day? I just gave up and had another argument with him later over something else. Again, I normally am hesitant to talk to someone who is potentially a co-worker of mine (even if not a person I will ever work with directly due to different locations and such) "Stupid," but the fact the other female didn't know the answer either, and this guy was just constantly arguing and fighting with me about me being wrong the two times I had to do "teamwork" with him.... now I begin to understand that maybe it is really just stupid and something that just can't be fixed. And I get misspellings and typos and mistakes. But this is one of those basic things that is really super important to your job and you should know how to spell "that phrase" and not use the "almost sounds the same but totally different" version of "that phrase".

BTW - I love reading dragon descriptions, and I am always more and more impressed by people who can cobble together basic sentence structure of just a few phrases nowadays. Have things gotten that bad? IDK .... But, seriously, support dragon descriptions, and save people from really sad situations like this and this is a fun thing that does encourage people to learn language use, spelling, comprehension, clarity, thought flow and more. And while it might seem like something a 4th grader could do, the longer I am out in the world, the more I see how really "smart trusted adults" can sometimes lack even those "insights and knowledge," and it be a large scale problem.

And it's not just a 'Murica thing. These were not people who were running around trying to put on the face of stupid to fit in with whatever group they were trying to be like or trying to join the Cult of Stupid that all different people from different political and philosophical reasons join. (Look, it's not just rednecks. Or Poor Class or Fighting back with the "power class." There is a growing movement to remove science study from various university because of its sexist colonialism patriarchy whatever as well, so it goes on multiple fronts.) But these should be the professional trusted people to educate and help, and .... I digress...

It is never too late to continue the practice of the art of language, especially in a way that is a "game or hobby." You never know when it will become important.

Edited by natayah

Hmm, not quite sure how to respond to that. I get you were frustrated with that person so you came to vent it out, and that's fine. I imagine that's what we're all here for. Though, this is just in general mind you, I'm not a big fan of people getting uber angry with others for making poor English grammar and spelling usage. When I was in college and worked at the library's Writing Center it had always bothered me how people could screw up "its" with "it's" and "your" with "you're" to no end. But then as I got older I started to realize it just isn't really worth arguing with someone over, even if that person is doing it in a work environment where you are expected to be professional and know some things. Anyway, I guess my point is: just because you are an adult, whether 20's, 50's, or 90's, doesn't mean you must know everything. We are all allowed to not have top IQ's when going out of high school or college or what have you. Speaking for myself, there are plenty of things I learned in school that I know I have forgotten. Now granted, I am not currently working, and my under-the-table jobs are not in English tutoring. I don't represent a company set there to make them look credible. I know people who do, and they still use "its" instead of "it's" and vice versa at work and I try not to bang my head against the wall (because it is one thing to make typos but another if you are constantly, I mean all the time, making the same mistake). I don't know, I guess what I'm getting at is to try to be more forgiving of others for making mistakes, even the ones where they are very sure they are right.

After all, if you look at the history of the English language you see clearly that it is precisely these little idioms over time that shape it, spelling in particular. I just loved my 500 level class on History of the English Language when I was still in school. It helped me to become more forgiving of other fellow English users. Language was invented to communicate with one another first and foremost. If someone types up some crazy jargon but the reader can understand it completely, then you know the language is working. It's the little things that get in the way that are often petty and fleeting...pesky grammar and spelling rules!!! Perhaps in 100 years "piece of mind" will be the accepted term and "peace of mind" will make others laugh. Regardless, if what you are saying makes sense to your audience then that's all that really matters. I think a lot of us English majors forget that. I know at the Writing Center there were co-workers who workshopped papers in front of their peers and only ever cared about spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Whereas I, on the other hand, wanted my peers to relearn the love of writing. I have always cared more for concept rather than rules. It's what defines us by our styles as writers. I had personally seen many people not come back because they knew some peers at the Writing Center only cared about the petty things and not about the actual content of their thesis and essays. My own boss congratulated me several times for that, in fact. I felt pretty stupid at the time because I admitted to him I'm not the best at grammar, but he was the one who told me he loved having a variety of English majors, and I represented brainstorming concepts and ideas. Super important. Should always come first. Don't worry about the rules, just put your pen/pencil to the paper and have fun with it. Writing is always so much easier to do when you have PASSION for your topic. And I think others will see that in your writing. It ekes out, whether or not you have a fairly decent IQ. We are all human beings with something important to say.

Right, so I am trying, but failing miserably, to tie this in to the main topic of concern for the Discripdoom chat going idle. Being still rather new to this clique, I can say you guys could certainly use more active chat mods...even if they're not officially "mods." We need a small yet big enough e-community here to lead by example: everyone meets in the chatroom at such and such a time and date for such and such a time, and then go back to the real world. Keep it consistent. Others will pick up and get in the swing of things and it will slowly grow. Also, be flexible. There are going to be times when people need to go on hiatus, and that is fine. People come on here to have fun; this isn't supposed to be a job, and no one at any time has any right to argue with anyone for breaking a rule. Things like that kill the mood and defeat the purpose of DC: to have fun and socialize with others who share your interests with writing and/or dragon art.

The reason I haven't gone on very often is...well, for one thing, I have been super busy with moving, and another is because there isn't much incentive to. I go on when I have time for it and if I see there is no one on who is willing to talk to me I just leave. I suspect a lot of people do that. It's kind of funny, really, to imagine the chatroom seeing lots of people coming and going simply because of no chance encounters. Hence, if there were more chatroom "mods..." But I understand that the usual crew are having their own real life problems to deal with at the moment.

Again, I know you must have been frustrated to high holy heaven and came on here to vent, and I understand and appreciate that. I don't want you (or anyone reading this) to think I am playing devil's advocate. I really try not to ruffle feathers in here or in real life. I'm just that kind of person. I try to understand all sides, and if you don't already know me now you'll soon learn I love resolving conflicts and breaking down the barrier of misunderstanding. I have found that kindness gets you farther in life more than anything else, including money. Practice patience, forgive mistakes, and try to stay humble. No single person knows everything. smile.gif I love communication in all its forms so I suppose that's why I have a natural tendency to write so much, lol.

Now, having said that, I really had fun with the formal and informal review days last month, especially with being able to give (and get) description inspiration. I understand why those went by the wayside, what with college and graduate school and jobs and all of the billion and one other far-more-important real-life conflicts, but still, they were fun.

My thesis (and getting sick enough my asthma flared up and I had to be prescribed prednisone, lol) has been kicking my butt and taking up all my time. I need to have a draft out to my advisor this next week - and then to my committee the week after that. I defend two weeks after that, BUT I believe after I've gotten a copy of my thesis in to my committee, I should have a little time to come do another Sunday or two with you guys. I've hated missing these past Sundays and can't wait to have some time to return. ^^

My thesis (and getting sick enough my asthma flared up and I had to be prescribed prednisone, lol) has been kicking my butt and taking up all my time. I need to have a draft out to my advisor this next week - and then to my committee the week after that. I defend two weeks after that, BUT I believe after I've gotten a copy of my thesis in to my committee, I should have a little time to come do another Sunday or two with you guys. I've hated missing these past Sundays and can't wait to have some time to return. ^^

Real Life comes first, but after you've got that out of your way I'd love to join in!

I love reviewing descriptions and try to do it every time I come on, but I don't really want to do anything on the IRC channel? Can you do this without doing the IRC channel? unsure.gif

You can review without IRC and put descriptions here for help, but to get faster aid you'd need to be on IRC. The weekends Sock was talking about are on IRC, too.

Sock, it sounds like you have more than enough (and more important) things to deal with right now without adding pixel dragons to the mix. Ditto for everyone else who has posted.

(Maybe it's gotten to the point where we only need a description chat channel if there's some informal event going on (so it could be closed the rest of the time). Something for the Descripdoom mods to consider? Less stress all around.)

If you kill a described dragon and successfully revive it, the description is kept. This isn't very useful information, but I thought I would share it anyway.

My New Year's Resolution was to describe at least two dragons every day, and so far, I've managed that (and then some, most days). To make up for flooding the queue with my descriptions, I've started reviewing again. So far, there's been a surprising number of quite good descriptions, from both long-term describers and relative newcomers (one, at least, who seems to have started describing as soon as their first adult grew up).

That got me thinking about how fun the reviewing days were. It would be fun to do something like that again, even if it's something as simple as a few of us gathering in chat for a short reviewathon to help make some unapproved descriptions show up. Nothing major, no pressure to make the queue go down - just chatting about the stuff that pops up in the queue and maybe helping each other with our own descriptions. If a few people with high review power combine their efforts, that's as good as approval.

(And I do completely understand why the various description threads have gone dormant. It's not been a good few months for anyone. I hope this doesn't come across as criticism or complaint.)

I've been slammed with real life lately, but I would love to do another reviewing spree! We can start planning for a weekend when everyone's free. I'll be available after the Super Bowl.

I've been slammed with real life lately, but I would love to do another reviewing spree! We can start planning for a weekend when everyone's free. I'll be available after the Super Bowl.

Google obliged with the date after a mere 'sup' in the search bar! xd.png

How about the weekend of Feb 11/12?

And I'll be available either after I finish my thesis "edits" or I completely give up. I was aiming for the end of Feb, but it might be closer to mid-Feb. ^^;;

I'll be available after the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl 51: IT'S ALL A BIG LI.

I'm good with February weekends, but the earlier the better.

I'm experiencing a little technical glitch with chat, so until that gets resolved (if it can be resolved), I won't be in Descripdoom. I can still help with a reviewathon, as I still have the (reviewer) power to make pending descriptions appear or vanish, but I won't be able to stop by chat.

And I'll be available either after I finish my thesis "edits" or I completely give up. I was aiming for the end of Feb, but it might be closer to mid-Feb. ^^;;

>_>

Count me out for now. I'll let ya'll know when I'm available. Even if you just pull together a user event, your comments are always really helpful!

>_>

Count me out for now. I'll let ya'll know when I'm available. Even if you just pull together a user event, your comments are always really helpful!

Aww. sad.gif We'll raise a brownie in your honour!

I'm still in for next weekend. Who will join me?