Momo

Momo's art Corner!

After some serious prompting from people, I decided to make a progress/art thread.

Keep in mind that while I love to practice and spam people with requests/gifts, I am a university student first and an artist/writer/musician second. So if I do start requests ( or surprise gifts! ) mid-semester, it may be pretty slow. >:

This first post is a bit about me! The second will hold links and WIPS.

My name is Momo. :3 You can call me.. Momo. Or whatever you like, really. xd.png

I'm a Biology Major with 16 credit hours. Not too busy, but.. busy.

I'm a jobless deadbeat. No, I just applied for a job where my brothers work, lmao! I'm not enthusiastic to be working AND attending university, but I'd like some spending money.

( Now for the actual stuff you'd like to read about )

I used to primarily use traditional media for artwork from the ages of 9 to 15. In the end, I was spending some $80 a month for supplies such as charcoal, prismocolor( color pencils, VERY good tools ) and molding/putty erasers.

My first tablet was a Bamboo Fun. I now own an Intuous Manga tablet.

The digital media I use is Sai Paint Tool and CS4/CS5. Sai is excellent for the sketching/basic colors and flats, and Photoshop I use for all the fancy pants stuff.

The average time it takes me to finish something, assuming I ever work nonstop, is around 15 hours. I never do. Ever.

1) My strongest point is animal anatomy and fur.

2) My weakest point is natural, realistic creases and detail in clothing.

3) My most time consuming issue is deciding on a pose.

4) My best feature is making use of layer properties and brushes by doing random things and just getting a very nice effect.

5) My most hated issue is how many layers I use. I'm too untrusting of my ability right now.

6) I rely too heavily on the lineart. My current goal is to confidently be able to paint past its boundaries.

7) I have never done a background before.

8) I have a very creepy obsession with making EVERY PIECE have a transparent background. Because it's cute and snazzy. Always. Mkay?

9) I may eventually own a DeviantArt account.

I'm hoping my goals/issues will change overtime, so that's why I'm posting them here for reference. ^-^

I really, really enjoy critique ( comments are always welcome! ) though I would primarily appreciate it in the first stages of a piece, because once I have over 200 layers, it won't be possible for me to fix a wonky leg or reconstruct the fur. Trust me. I spread out the outlining of fur in over 20 layers when it should realistically only be in one or two.

Now, let the motivation begin!

Edited by Momo

From oldest to new. These are not all the pieces that I've done; just the most recent.

Late 2013:

Random sketches of a Hellhound character named who took on the name Aeon, as he forgot his human name, Haden, upon being turned into his current state. The Griffon(Gryphon, what have you) is a random, unnamed element for practicing wings.

Unidentified Dragon sketch. Those are not functional wings on its back - they vaguely remind me of something Chinese-based. Or Steampunk.

Wolf Headshot of a character of mine. I wanted some kind of Chinese feel.

Another piece of the previous character with his name displayed. You'd be surprised how many people ask what language his name is in, but.. I really just made it up - he's a character I've had since I was a wee tot. Slight Okami influence to this? Heck yes.

Nameless character. It started out as a random sketch to help with poses/confidence. It was never supposed to be colored.

Fennekin. It was when the game had just come out.

2014:

Three Machines. The lineart of something I recently finished.

Three Machines ( finished. ) Their serial numbers are very significant, being that the first three of the code tell what type of model/design they are, and the last number tells how many were made before it. Realistically, the last digit is always increasing due to production, so these three have a lot of significance since they're of the first few made.

I will be doing a graphic novel with this concept/backstory someday.

A persona-type thing. ( WIP ) Yes, I am actually that fancy in real life. It's not done, and I may color it someday.

Lineart of that same persona-type thing. She's got librarian/philosopher/black-magic-artist type of credentials to her, but her animated spellbook does most of the work. This is the first time I've gone light on the lineart - my lineart style is usually as thick on everything as it is on the Three Machines piece.

Colors added. ( Still a WIP. ) Her name is Kashiro. And this is not even half done. First time doing something this realistic - I'm having fun!

Most every major detail completed. Still a WIP. The final lighting, which will be controlled by the book/emanate from it, will force me to use a lot of shadows to close in everything as well, so this may look very different in the end than it does now.

Characters everywhere! Just a random project to draw a ton of my characters as different dog and cat breeds. The majority of them are actually human ( and by that, I mean they naturally take humanoid form, bahaa. x3 ) so this is fun!

Same evening update! Some will be more chibi or realistic than the others - it depends on how I feel about the character themselves. Can you guess the dog breeds or, better yet, guess their personalities?

EDIT: Because it was mentioned that the links weren't loading for some, I've uploaded them also to Imagur. They are linked to in order of the original links I put up:

1 )

2 )

3 )

4 )

5 )

6 )

7 )

8 )

9 )

10 )

11 )

12 )

13 )

I hope these links work!

This will be updated with WIP updates and more work, but I will likely also post it throughout the thread unless it's double-posting.

Edited by Momo

Ooh, I love your art! o3o I can't help with any critique, but I can say that I really do like your style. hey i do happen to like thick lineart. The Chinese style of the Wolf Headshot is really neat, and I love the colors on Fennekin.

I'm with you on the no-background thing. x3 I am jealous of your anatomy though; that stuff is ha-ard.

Omg, thank you so much! ;__; That means a lot to me, Dimar~ <3

hey i do happen to like thick lineart.
Ffff, seriously? xd.png Sometimes I think I get ahead of myself with it when I make it too much so that way, but I'm glad it has positive feedback! I think I will keep doing it that way whenever it's something that's not intended to be as realistic as the latest piece.

I really appreciate your comments on those pieces. ^-^

Lmao, yes. xd.png I'd like to do a background someday, but it would have to be on the same level as the character in it, so.. I should probably.. start practicing it now. before it's too far gone.

As for the anatomy, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! :3 I used to just watch the way my dog walked, or study photos of animals/wolves when I was getting the hang of it. The trick for me was to look at the pictures/animal, and think of a shape that I could sketch that would closely resemble that body part/motion. When I sketch, I use circles and other shapes because of that. For like.. everything.

D'aww, you're welcome! ^^

Yeah, I've always liked lines like that for some reason. Stylistic thing? idk.

I probably should practice looking at animals and such when I draw - once the weather gets warmer I do plan to sit outside and sketch. So maybe I'll find time when visiting home to use the dogs and horses as models. x3

I am focusing a lot on human anatomy at the moment though, since humans have always been the hardest for me and I've recently felt motivation to practice and get better. So I'm working on it. And lol, I had never used those circle-guideline-things before, mainly out of impatience. But now I've started using them a bit and I'm surprised at how much they help. I feel like I've gotten better (with humans at least) recently.

Oops, I don't mean to be hijacking your thread with my ramblings. I'll just stalk watch and see what other art you share. laugh.gif

<33

I agree though - I think that's why I started doing it in the first place - my lineart was lacking and a little too skimpy/rough, so I started beefing it up. The best thing about Sai Tool is that you can actually tell the program how slow you want the brush/cursor to move - so if you have shaky hands, you don't worry about crooked lineart because the program moves everything very slowly.

Aww, those are always excellent sketch subjects. There's just something about equine and canine anatomy that really, I find, prepares you for most other anatomy. My grandmother has horses on her farm and I, too, sketch them.

Ohh, good luck! ^-^ I need to work on humans, too~ I may be posting some here, as well. I was surprised too, actually, when I first started it. I couldn't see how it was less work than just drawing the outline, but.. it really makes you understand the very musculature and bones, not just the shape of the animal/person.

Oh lmao, no worries! I'm finished drawing for the evening so I won't be posting anything, and I love talking with people about art! Anytime~ <3

Hey Momo!

I'd love to see your arts but Google isn't finding them. sad.gif I don't know if the problem is with me or happens with anyone.

Hey Momo!

I'd love to see your arts but Google isn't finding them. sad.gif I don't know if the problem is with me or happens with anyone.

Oh no! D:

I have them up on tinypic, but I was just wondering today actually if that hosting is wonky for some people. I'm going to switch them over to a more reliable hosting.

Thanks for letting me know! :3 It will take me a moment to get these all up somewhere, though.

At this point, I've done everything but the proper lighting. And there are some minor here-and-there issues I'm too lazy to do at the time. And I need to decide where the lineart is too involved - definitely on the face, where it makes it a lot less realistic than the softer tones of the fur. It's too.. pronounced. D:

Meanwhile the glowy book looks nice with the lines..

hrm. I need opinions on what lineart areas should stay and which should go. xd.png

Oh no! D:

I have them up on tinypic, but I was just wondering today actually if that hosting is wonky for some people. I'm going to switch them over to a more reliable hosting.

Thanks for letting me know! :3 It will take me a moment to get these all up somewhere, though.

At this point, I've done everything but the proper lighting. And there are some minor here-and-there issues I'm too lazy to do at the time. And I need to decide where the lineart is too involved - definitely on the face, where it makes it a lot less realistic than the softer tones of the fur. It's too.. pronounced. D:

Meanwhile the glowy book looks nice with the lines..

hrm. I need opinions on what lineart areas should stay and which should go. xd.png

wow, that's awsome.I would be happy to I can draw like that biggrin.gif

wow, that's awsome.I would be happy to I can draw like that biggrin.gif

Ffff aww, that means a lot to me. ^-^

A year ago, I wouldn't be able to do most of what I've done this year. It's just.. a lot of pushing myself, and even then I'm not where I want to be. So, naturally.. the only thing left to do is keep going! ^-^;

I've also added Imagur links to the second post so hopefully those work for all~

What amazing arts Momo! I don't have more words... oh yeah I have, you're so so so talented... I love your art style! wub.gif

My favorite is the wolf, it really remembers me Okami. smile.gif

Your art (digital lining especially wub.gif) is fantastic! I hope you'll do more in the future, I'll be eagerly -albiet patiently- waiting!

My favorite is the Magic Canine! biggrin.gif I wish I was that good! I am actually praticing hard, and one day I will be that good.

What amazing arts Momo! I don't have more words... oh yeah I have, you're so so so talented... I love your art style! wub.gif

My favorite is the wolf, it really remembers me Okami. smile.gif

Fff, thank you! <3 That really means a lot to me to be complimented in such a way. <3 Thank you all!

I'm glad that one reminds you of Okami! It means I was actually able to achieve what I wanted, haha. x3

Your art (digital lining especially wub.gif) is fantastic! I hope you'll do more in the future, I'll be eagerly -albiet patiently- waiting!

Wow Xythus, thank you. ;__; <33

I'm really pleased that my lining technique has so much backing! I will definitely continue to use the styles I've developed and not bother altering them much. I'm quiet fond of them as well, and if people enjoy them also, then what need is there for a sudden change? ^-^;

I will have a new subject up soon! Perhaps tomorrow; I like to take a break from long projects by getting another started.

My favorite is the Magic Canine! biggrin.gif  I wish I was that good! I am actually praticing hard, and one day I will be that good.

Thanks! The name Kashiro has really grown on me for her, lmao!

As for you getting better at your artwork; what more can I say? Practice is where it all starts. You're on the right track~

Some more sketches! Each took less than 3 minutes ( if you don't include deciding on which dog breed to use ) so that's good time for pose practice! ^-^

Anyway, they will all ( there will be.. quite a few by the time I'm done. at least 15? ) have accessories or something unique to them, as I plan for this to be a mash-up of many of my characters as dogs/cats.

It also challenges me to make their expressions really like them!

I wonder if anyone can guess which breed is which as I work on this.

Those sketches are so great! Can't wait to see the final art. biggrin.gif

I'll try to guess the breeds but I'll miss, probably. tongue.gif

The first one remind me of a German Shepherd, the little one maybe a Pembroke and the last one a Setter?...

Those sketches are so great! Can't wait to see the final art. biggrin.gif

I'll try to guess the breeds but I'll miss, probably. tongue.gif

The first one remind me of a German Shepherd, the little one maybe a Pembroke and the last one a Setter?...

ff, thanks!

And omg, 2/3! You're really good at telling dog breeds despite my totally weird art style! ^-^ Though the last one I was headed for a more Great Pyrenees type of look - especially with the partial-curled tail. Maybe he could be a little bushier.

Hi, I was wondering if you were accepting requests.

If you are, I'd love this to be drawn. I'd prefer something slightly realistic, but whatever floats your boat ^-^

It's supposed to have fur all over it, but I had to colour it on Paint.Net.

If you do accept, I'm sure we could negotiate a price (if you actively play DC).

Thanks for looking.

Edit: I love your artwork. Truly amazing <3

Edited by LegendOfKorraFan

Wow! I got 2 breeds, can't believe! xd.png And your style is amazing not weird, ok?

Didn't thought on the Great Pyrenees, now that you established it looks like one. They're so beautiful and fluffy, it really deserves some more hair Momo. smile.gif

Quick update! ( I'm working so fast tonight, lool. )

Finished the punk shepherd ( a lot smarter than he looks! We're talking about a university-grade mathematician by day and gamer by night, here.), added a butler ( with a 300 year-streak of insomnia - that probably explains his overall attitude as a character ) and started on a flamboyant senator, bahaa. These breeds added should be fairly easy to figure out. I hope. ^-^;

I think I'll be adding short descriptions of all of these guys when they're all colored, too! It will be a nice project.

Wow! I got 2 breeds, can't believe! xd.png And your style is amazing not weird, ok?

Didn't thought on the Great Pyrenees, now that you established it looks like one. They're so beautiful and fluffy, it really deserves some more hair Momo. smile.gif

Yeah, you're really good at guessing dog breeds! biggrin.gif B'awww, thank you. <33 I just generally think that I need to really work on being able to put specific traits into my sketches - like.. no dog breed really looks the same, and I'd like to be able to easily capture those unique features. :3

And ff, otay! I will definitely add some more!

Hi, I was wondering if you were accepting requests.

If you are, I'd love this to be drawn. I'd prefer something slightly realistic, but whatever floats your boat ^-^

It's supposed to have fur all over it, but I had to colour it on Paint.Net.

If you do accept, I'm sure we could negotiate a price (if you actively play DC).

Thanks for looking.

Edit: I love your artwork. Truly amazing <3

Hmm, not formally no. I can work with one or two here and there, though, and since I've recently started a project, I'll likely be working between them most of the time. I have a process that runs like an assembly line - sketching and inking is different from coloring. Once I finish sketching and inking something, I usually leave it alone to finish inking something else. The coloring process has its own queue for me. So I'll post the updates as I work on it, but keep in mind that the coloring will not come straight away.

But I'll see what I can do - I do like hoofed subjects.

I have a question about the design - are those horns? ears?

Thanks!

Alright, that's what I thought. I'll give it a shot and then post it here when I've started it.

Quick update! ( I'm working so fast tonight, lool. )

Finished the punk shepherd ( a lot smarter than he looks! We're talking about a university-grade mathematician by day and gamer by night, here.), added a butler ( with a 300 year-streak of insomnia - that probably explains his overall attitude as a character ) and started on a flamboyant senator, bahaa. These breeds added should be fairly easy to figure out. I hope. ^-^;

I think I'll be adding short descriptions of all of these guys when they're all colored, too! It will be a nice project.

Oh my, I love the shepherd punk style! biggrin.gif Just got an idea of his personality. A nerd gamer? Cool!

I'm excited to see all your project done. smile.gif

Let me guess the breeds again: a Saluki and a Doberman, maybe?

Also, when you finish LegendOfKorraFan's request and have time, could I request something? I had some ideas.

Oh my, I love the shepherd punk style! biggrin.gif Just got an idea of his personality. A nerd gamer? Cool!

I'm excited to see all your project done. smile.gif

Let me guess the breeds again: a Saluki and a Doberman, maybe?

Also, when you finish LegendOfKorraFan's request and have time, could I request something? I had some ideas.

Lmao, yes! I wouldn't say nerd, but "hardcore gamer," perhaps. He's the kind of gamer you don't want to play with when he's losing and he has his mic on. xd.png

Thank you~ <3

Yes! Exactly! Saluki and Doberman~

It depends on how busy I'll be overall on when I'll be able to do something for you. :3 The reason I'm not officially doing requests is because I don't want people to expect a quick reply/quick finished piece or even a guaranteed art piece. I should be able to get to you soon, though, considering that out of 200 Biology homework questions ( and we've only done two classes this semester ) I got only 10 wrong/partially wrong, so. x3 Feeling pretty good about my study methods!

Lmao, yes! I wouldn't say nerd, but "hardcore gamer," perhaps. He's the kind of gamer you don't want to play with when he's losing and he has his mic on. xd.png

Thank you~ <3

Yes! Exactly! Saluki and Doberman~

It depends on how busy I'll be overall on when I'll be able to do something for you. :3 The reason I'm not officially doing requests is because I don't want people to expect a quick reply/quick finished piece or even a guaranteed art piece. I should be able to get to you soon, though, considering that out of 200 Biology homework questions ( and we've only done two classes this semester ) I got only 10 wrong/partially wrong, so. x3 Feeling pretty good about my study methods!

Yay! I got it again biggrin.gif

Oh, I understand him, I'm not the type of gamer you want to be even next to or sometimes in the same house when I'm losing, it isn't great. xd.png

Thanks! Of course, take your time. I can wait for my request and in the meantime can have more ideas for it.

By the way, congratulations for the homework you did! A 200 questions homework is for the strongers! tongue.gif Even a biology one which is a subject that I love. ^^