solarflare3000

Noobs

Well, if you consider the distiction between newb(ie) and noob which I wasn't aware of due to not being a native speaker of English...

I really don't think that there are many people here who dislike new players in general. But there are some things where a good reputation and/or knowing someone for a long time, even if only from the forums do have benefits.

Like, would you seriously accept an IOU for a CB gold if that person was a new player and hasn't been able to catch even one of those? Or would you rather accept such an IOU from someone who can trade for one with their CB prize/CB hybrid offspring? (Personally, I wouldn't accept an IOU for anything CB metallic, to be honest.)

Of course, there are other situations, especially regarding new suggestions in the respective forums, where new players are at a bad disadvantage, if only because they don't know everything about DC. As an older player, I know that I'll never suggest a BSA for a rare dragon, or a hybrid that can only be obtained by breeding rare x rare. Neither will I ever suggest to replace any mod (not that I'd want to, it's just an example) or that TJ should accept someone as 2nd in command for his site. Not to mention that I will never, ever suggest game-altering paid perks for DC, or to retire any breed. A new player, however, might. And would get a very volatile reaction from pretty much everybody.

From suggesting certain things myself, I also know not to ask for a change in the ratio system (endless discussion, "rares are rare for a reason" getting reiterated ad nauseam), dragon concepts that can breed with members of more than one breeding group (I once had an idea for a regular/pygmy dragon, but TJ wasn't keen on that one. I asked.) and probably a number of other things that I can't put my finger on right now. I also know to not criticize any in-cave sprite too badly. wink.gif

It's also true that the DC member base is very prone to drama, and that the tone can get harsh if the drama llamas rear their noisy heads - again. And, last but not least, I know which members better to ignore. Not exactly something I'm proud of, but there are some people who managed to rub me the wrong way in every single discussion we've had. (I also know who I can disagree and argue with without either of us ever taking things personally. tongue.gif)

To make a long story short: Personally, I tend to treat people according to the way they act. If someone makes dumb suggestions, I usually tell them that. (But I try to avoid descriptors like "dumb", "wrong" or "stupid" when doing so.) If they make a suggestion I like, I tell them so without checking their trophy level or their join date.

When it comes to gifting or trading, I'm more generous towards people with smaller scrolls or scrolls with less "valuable" dragons. When I started playing DC, there were lots of older players who helped me out, and I like to give back to the community.

I'm new (newbie tongue.gif ) here, but i'm not new on forums in general (i've been an admin of an italian Harry potter Forum years and years ago).

I played also games like Gunbound (hope someone knows what i'm talking about), and i'm used to the word noob or newbie (i wasn't that good).

Yes, they have to different meanings, but i have to say that on this forum i've only "encountered" very nice and kind people, and i've been helped a lot (even on my grammar: i'm not native english, i speak italian, my english is not bad but it's definetely not perfect. I've received correction in a very nice way, and i'm grateful for that)

I think that it depends on us newbie to be "accepted": i mean, if you just follow the rules, try to be polite with other players and stuff like that, and kindly ask if something it's not clear, everything will be much easier.

We're bound to meet rude people now and then, but i don't think that everybody is rude with someone just cause he/she is a newbie.

And i hope that what i wrote is clear enough wink.gif

And i hope that what i wrote is clear enough

It is, at least to me. I might not have Italian as a first language, but German instead - but the issues are pretty much the same everywhere when you need to use a different language.

I also agree that a lot depends on the newbie, whether they are accepted or not - and how long it takes them. But, as I said earlier, there's a tendency for creating (and reveling in) drama on these boards, which can be rather off-putting. (I think it used to be worse than it is now, though. Threads getting locked due to drama seemed to be much more common than nowadays.)