solarflare3000

Noobs

Firstly, wut. How does that part in italics imply that you are a n00b. Imo you are perfectly competent, even if we disagree

And I am perfectly willing to take the topic, and even your arguments, seriously. But I simply cannot take laughter (something inherently not serious) seriously

"continue to act as if a n00b===newb"

Sorry if I misunderstand what you are trying to imply here but it looks like you are saying that i'm acting like a noob.

Edited by solarflare3000

http://www.wikihow.com/Define-the-Differen...ob-and-a-Newbie

even the example is of a chat it pretty much can be used on any other cases of noob / newbie difference

Edit:@ above what even is robolox? never heard of that, and I also find continuous "lol" annoying

Edit 2: if I were interested in whatever is robolox I could go and google but I don't find robolox having any main role in this topic hence I wonder on why always bring up this robolox thing

Edit 3: I see, but I don't think roblox is really necassery to bring always up, this topic is not about you it's about noobs generally, I can believe there are plenty of people who have been called noobs in other places also but they ain't bringing up the names of places contantly

I'm not saying it's about me. I'm saying that I often relate thing that people said to me in roblox to this topic.

I really wish you could edit your posts instead of double posting right after your own post (since you do seem to have the idea of how to edit them but then at times you don't ), and yeah I see, roblox

Edited by Hisa

I really wish you could edit your posts instead of double posting right after your own post, and yeah I see, roblox

The problem is, I need 2 quotes and IDk how to put two quotes on one post.

Doesn't anyone else see how one might think masteweavile is calling me a noob from that quote?

Edited by solarflare3000

Uh, no. I was saying that I refused to accept an argument that said n00bs were new people, because I have no problem with newbies. Thus your making them the same as n00bs makes a discussion impossible

Uh, no. I was saying that I refused to accept an argument that said n00bs were new people, because I have no problem with newbies. Thus your making them the same as n00bs makes a discussion impossible

Ugh... before this topic I didn't know the difference cause everyone called me a noob but I followed rules and tryed not to be annoying.

And I'm sure you can see how else your talking might look like you are calling me both.

Edited by solarflare3000

There is a button "QUOTE" while writing a message, simply by bluing (if that's even word) and then clicking quote you can

so does all the other writing functions work same way, this is off topic tho so

Ugh... before this topic I didn't know the difference cause everyone called me a noob but I followed rules and tryed not to be annoying.

And I'm sure you can see how else your talking might look like you are calling me both.

I don't see how he's calling you noob thought, all I see is him trying to make you understand

Edited by Hisa

Are you reading it as

continuing to act as a n00b && newb

?

Because I can honestly see no way that statement could imply you were a n00b

I can see that if you were to insist n00b and newb were the same. And since you seem to imply that you are a newb, then I guess your insistence could make you a n00b?

I honestly fail to understand how I could truly be calling you a n00b. I'll take a better look when I'm no longer on mobile, maybe I'll get it when I can see the whole of the discussion at once

EDIT: I'm sorry, I simply do not understand. Maybe if you were to be clearer and just tell me outright? I had no intention whatsoever to call you a n00b. Even if you are one, I still wouldn't say it to your face. This is a civil discussion and such a statement might cause you to reply in the snarky manner which you utilized when you first assumed I had done so. And likely cause this discussion to deteriorate into a back and forth of whether or not you are a n00b (much in the way it's become a back and forth of whether or not I called you one) And that simply isn't a good discussion, it would not be worth it in the least to state such a thing

OH, also, with the quotes, and pretty much any formatting, you can just type it in yourself

[quote][/quote], [i][/i], [b][/b], [color=red][/color], etc[/quote]

It's really quite simple once you get the hang of it (unless the system your on doesn't have an equals sign within easy access, then color is hell)

Edited by MasterWeavile898

You misread. Acting as if n00b = newb is the statement, meaning acting as if they are the same thing. If you're going to accuse other people of not reading and take such offense to it, you might want to do the same yourself.

You misread. Acting as if n00b = newb is the statement, meaning acting as if they are the same thing. If you're going to accuse other people of not reading and take such offense to it, you might want to do the same yourself.

I said that if I'm misreading it I understand. Did I not?

Btw, why is everyone typing n00b with 0's instead of o's?

And like I said, everyone, until I read the topic I did think noob and newbie are the same thing.

Even an adult I know believes so. In other words, most people, adults and children alike, think that noob and newbie are the same thing.

Edited by solarflare3000

What I do is I open all the posts I want to quote in different tabs, then reply to each one. I then hit "preview post", and the copy the entire thing and past them all into one post, which I then submit.

That way I get all the information without having to manually type it in. Or you could just, as other have said, manually type it in.

[quote=username]quote here[/quote]

Re: noob/n00b:

It's just a spelling difference. Probably a holdover from the time when 1337 was popular. It's the spelling I was introduced to first, actually. They're the same thing, though.

I said that if I'm misreading it I understand. Did I not?

You did, while continuing to insist that I had called you a n00b (And I do believe your wording was misunderstood, which is different because if you misunderstood then it's still possible to interpret it both whales, whereas if you misread then it was entirely your fault and I am in the clear from your false accusations)

Oh, it's because of l33t speak, which is a moderately common thing (not all that common, just one of the things some do to annoy people) with n00bs. Thus I utilize it to describe n00bs as an emphasis on its use by n00bs

Even an adult I know believes so. In other words, most people, adults and children alike, think that noob and newbie are the same thing.

Firstly, is said adult a gamer? Secondly, are they over 40? Thirdly, don't say "most people", you have zero proof of that. However, actually, most people do believe that because they are not gamers. An adult or child is much less likely to consider them separate than a teen or young adult. And even then, you generally have to be an active gamer to even know either term exists

Basically, ask an adult or child and they'll probubbly think they're the same. But teens and young adults are much more likely to know the difference due to being much more commonplace among the gaming community. As such, your statement is actually entirely correct and you can disregard that third question

Four, how old are you, if you're allowed to say? About a year ago I would not have known what a n00b was, let alone the difference between n00b and newbie

You not being allowed to say says enough. Which is what I figured

And you really didn't answer anything else. But meh. I got the answer I really needed

I don't understand. How is that enough? blink.gif

Anyways, sorry if I misread or misunderstood your statement. I'm a little sensitive about being call a noob but i'm ok with newb and newbie.

Edited by solarflare3000

This topic seems to just go on and on in t he circle of life, only progress I've seen so far is the understandment of newbie not being same as noob and then it has moved on solar vs metal , I'm on metals side thought, I see solar taking everything said as being against her/him/it and then feeling the urge of defending her/him/itself.

Being not allowed to say your age makes me want to just state there's a lot things to be learnt still kid.. but either way..

(what I'll b doing now on reading this thread is this)

Edited by Hisa

[...] I see solar taking everything said as being against her/him/it and then feeling the urge of defending her/him/itself.

I don't think that's really necessary to add, Hisa.

Anyway. I think this thread has become a little too personal to be a debate.

Solarflare, everyone who has offered legitimate, proper responses to your issue and questions are all on the first and second ( and a bit of the third! ) page. If you haven't read through them, take a look! They provide some really decent, fair and helpful advice and so forth. :3 Personally, I do believe there is a misinterpretation of noob/newbie. The miscommunication of what these words mean as the slang that they are is primarily what gets everything out of whack. Maybe you are a newbie, but from what I've seen, you're definitely not to be considered a noob. You'll catch the hang of the game soon enough, I know it! <3

Also, this is DC. Whether you're a kid or adult - doesn't matter. My 9 year old sister is hunting down CB Golds WITH a slow computer. There's no shame in just not mentioning your age, either. and where I live, a lady never tells her age anyway, so. early grace/manners lesson, anyone? Newbies at life are super cool, IMO. A lot of potential! Also, remember, a lot of older people can be.. less mature than wee tots at times. Immaturity is in us all!

It doesn't matter what you "have left to learn" unless it has something to do with DC on here, lmao! And when it comes to that, you can message me anytime for help, or get a mentor to help you out if you really a tour/tutorial of the whole deal. :3

Really, to solve the whole noob/newbie debate, I think people would be more accepting of newer people/be a lot slower to judge if new people utilized their help tools more often. Like asking for help, reading the rules, taking a tour, etc.

I don't think that's really necessary to add, Hisa.

In a way it is. I'd quote my friend but IDK if it'd be okay with me exemplifying it to make a point. And this isn't really the topic for that discussion anywhales

(Though, Hisa, Solarflare is clearly female...)

And I agree that this is far too personal. But I kinda think that's because Solar has been taking anything and everything that has disagreed with her point of view and decided it was a personal attack (She also somehow managed to take a few of my earlier compliments as attacks too dry.gif)

So yeah, I'm done arguing with her. If someone else wants to come about and debate how to deal with n00bs (I'm sure we can all agree that the proper treatment of a newbie is to be nice and try to assist them), then I'm happy to do so. Will be stalking this tread happy.gif

With hope,

Master

In a way it is.

Not really. Unless someone has specifically asked you to use "it" as a pronoun, it's extremely dehumanizing and offensive. "They/them" is a respectful gender neutral way to refer to someone without another identifier specified. =\

~

I agree on the difference between n00b/noob vs. newb/newbie. I typically use "new user" instead of newbie even, though. I feel like newbie is a pet name you can use for yourself and your friends, but I personally feel odd calling new users newbies if they haven't called themselves a newbie. xP

A long time ago, I started playing Diablo II online and was called a "noob". I was a newbie and didn't know there was a difference in the two terms, but it was their general demeanor toward me that made me realize they just hated all new people and used "noob" as a derogatory term to mean anybody new and not worth their time. I took offense at the term then because it sounds too much like someone calling someone a stupid "boob", but maybe I'm just old fashioned. Anyway, like I said, it was their general demeanor toward all new people and I don't think they had any clue between the terms 'noob' and 'newb'.

I see this same kind of profiling in the work place. Nobody wants a newbie. Everyone expects you to come into the job knowing everything already and God forbid you make a mistake because it tends to be a permanent black mark against you that you can't get rid of. Most employers simply won't hire anybody that doesn't have tons of experience. My question is always the same - how does a person get experience on the job if no one is willing to train them? It's the same kind of thing in every aspect of life. It's bad. I've been trough college. Just having a degree in your field doesn't give you the hands-on training you'll need in the actual workplace. New is new is new is new, and there's no exception. Everyone needs a kind hand to guide them. I never did find that in that Diablo game. Eventually, I just quit playing online and will only play single player, but don't enjoy it, so I wasted my money on the game.

I hope to see a much kinder world where "newbs" are taken by the hand and shown the ropes without the profiling and impatience. I know it's different when you give someone answers and guidelines or rules and they blatantly don't follow them. But that's not a newb, that's a "boob". xd.png

Unless someone has specifically asked you to use "it" as a pronoun, it's extremely dehumanizing and offensive.

Well, we in here finland don't have she/he things, everything can be referred to with "it" ^^

ohmy.gif Quite shocking. I thought everyone welcomes newbies (noobs as you call them). When I was a newbie, I felt people helping me here. Everyone was so kind.

Well, frankly, could you stop using that term? I don't know but I simply feel uneasy with that term. Noob is sounding awkward. Newbie is a bit less informal. However, that's just my gut feeling.