solarflare3000

Noobs

pfft. no p3pl3 dislik n00bs mor. th3y talk lik this and it g3ts r3ally anoying. and w3n somon3 t3ls th3m th3r rong they Y3L ABUT HOW TH3R RIGHT AND ANYONE WHO SAYS TH3R RONG IS AN IDIOT AND A N00B WHO NOWS NOTTING. th3y of3n brag abut how th3y now 3v3rthng abut what3v3r gam3 th3r playing. 3v3n though th3y allwas ask for h3lp and rare gifts (Like asking for a CB gold for free after just saying how they have like twenty) and w3n th3y do that th3y usuly giv no proof of how th3y ar a pro. pr3f3ring to brag abut how gud th3y ar ov3r showing th3r accomplishm3nts (I'm not even going to bother trying to type that any worse) rar3ly do p3pl3 hat3 th3m for just b3ing n3w, g3n3rally (or that) they 3rn it by b3ng j3rks

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go pour acid on my eyes to cleanse this n00bish abomination from my retinas

This is not a topic to joke around on or make rude comments. While I like that you are trying to give an example the truth is even noobs don't talk like that. There is this game, called roblox. Most players are between ages 8 to 18. In other words, a lot of young players. I don't mind that but some people are just jerks on there, more than most other games. That's where I've been deadfun of . Lol this guy called noobhater called me a noob but on that's role play, I was less new than he was. laugh.gif

If people have nothing better to insult me with other than "noob", then they probably don't actually mean to be bad. I don't think there's anything bad about being called "noob" honestly, and to me the confusion between newbie and noob isn't that important anyway. Games are like that, you will find nice people but also jerks, if you start taking insults seriously in a game you are gonna have a bad time.

This is not a topic to joke around on or make rude comments.  While I like that you are trying to give an example the truth is even noobs don't talk like that. There is this game,  called roblox. Most players are between ages 8 to 18. In other words,  a lot of young players. I don't mind that but some people are just jerks on there,  more than most other games. That's where I've been deadfun of .  Lol this guy called noobhater called me a noob but on that's role play,  I was less new than he was.  laugh.gif

laugh.gif I play roblox! (Sometimes) There are lots of people who talk like MasterWeavile was talking like, but hey people can be what they want to be. If you don't want to be like them then don't get mixed up with them. My main point is, yea "noobs" are bad. But these days some people get "Noobs" and New people mixed together, so really when people are saying noobs are annoying they are talking about both Quote from dictionary "noob noun Slang Usually Disparaging.

a newbie, especially a person who is new to an online community and whose online participation and interactions display a lack of skill or knowledge: Some games and gaming forums are crawling with annoying noobs." But you sorta gotta be there.

This is not a topic to joke around on or make rude comments. While I like that you are trying to give an example the truth is even noobs don't talk like that.

Lol this guy called noobhater called me a noob but on that's role play, I was less new than he was. laugh.gif

Uh, yeah, actually a lot of them do (I exaggerated a bit, but that's mostly because I have no clue how to make my spelling and grammar actually be n00b levels of bad) Maybe not all of them, but it's common to the point of being agitating

Again, new !== n00b

And I refuse to consider any of your arguments seriously since you have a high tendency to say "lol" every post and continue to act as if n00b === newb

And DragonKami, firstly, I have little trust of the dictionary you quoted, but I have had little time to look through it; secondly, the fact that people confuse them does not indicate that we need to be kinder to n00bs, rather that we need to be more careful with who we see as a n00b. It's like comparing geeks and nerds; many people generally consider them the same, when in fact they are very different

I am really here to see how some people talk and think. smile.gif But I really said all that needed to say, I can't really think of anything else. Besides repeating myself. I made my point ( Wrong or right ) I feel like there is nothing else to say. Well then, have a nice day! biggrin.gif

And I refuse to consider any of your arguments seriously since you have a high tendency to say "lol" every post and continue to act as if n00b === newb

lol is okay. Everyone says that. So, if you are going to call me a noob for saying that. Stop posting here. This is a noobhater free zone.

Besides, you try typing on a touch screen! dry.gif

Double posting can be okay if not abused, but please don't make such short statements in separate posts when you could edit your first post.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Sorry to be off topic but. Dont you think you put too many post? But yea I think I will play Roblox too maybe.

well, I forgot to add somethings in the first post so I added them into the next post(s)

I don't know why I didn't just edit. (I didn't say idk because someone would then call me a noob)

Edited by solarflare3000

Nah go ahead it does not matter if they (Call) you a noob if you really think you are a noob then... I guess so? But I hope you know not caring what others think does not apply to important things like. (Cop: Hey thats Illegal! You: I dont care what you think!) But you get the point.

This is basically my definition of Noob vs Newbie (I specifically use terms that don't sound alike to curb confusion towards what I'm saying).

A Noob and a Newbie are both someone who was once ignorant to the rules/facts of a game/forum/site/topic due to being fresh into things. They will more likely than not get pointed in the right direction.

Here's where my definitions diverge.

Noob: Refuses to adhere to the rules and continues to ignore them when they are informed they are not acting properly. Because they feel they don't need to listen to others, or because they want to upset others (aka, trolling).

Newbie: Uses what they have learned about the rules and how things work in their new environment and eventually make their way into the community as a regular user.

So in my book, a Noob is someone who knows they're doing wrong and refuses to correct themselves.

Like, say a person has recently joined a forum that has rules against talking in chat speak or leet. After their introductory post, filled with difficult to read chat speak and leet, someone (and maybe a mod) will welcome them and (politely or not, I know there would be flamers) inform them their manner of speech is not allowed as per the forums rules.

A newbie will correct themselves, and possibly apologize for having missed that bit of the rules they (hopefully ._.) read through. A noob on the other hand will laugh and reply with "I typ like dis cuz itz EZ. lol if u cant read thts ur prob"

Note, I'm not using text/chat speak as an example because of the 'lol' debate. I use lol all the time and don't consider it a problem. (Mainly because my alternative is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA to describe laughter at something and that's... kinda annoying). I simply used it because that is a common thing most users would be familiar with.

At the end of it, in my book, if you (general 'you') are new, you're a Newbie until the point you refuse to listen to others who try to tell a person how to follow the rules. Even the rude ones, because there are always rude people in the world, can just get a "I'm sorry I didn't realize" and just ignore them until they get off your back. You are only a Noob to me if you prove yourself to be distracting, trouble making, and trollish.

Such a great way to put it TwilitProphet! I agree with some of that! I think this thread is sort of done not trying to be a mod impersonator . (I hope I am not being one.)

Edited by DragonKami

@Solarflare

IDK where you got the concept I was calling you a n00b. I simply cannot take you seriously when you state that you are laughing. Saying "lol" implies a level of silliness. And if you weren't being silly, than my only other options are that you were mocking me or it was supposed to be some form of maniacal laughter (Lol, villain says lol instead of evil laughter xd.png) And I dearly hope you were not mocking me, then I likely would consider you a n00b

Also, you must allow n00bhaters here or your topic is entirely one-sided and biased against a healthy discussion. If you only allow those who agree with you to discuss something with you, then you will never learn about those who disagree with you

EDIT: To clarify: That is assuming you are using the term n00bhater to refer to anyone who dislikes n00bs. There are people who can be total asses about such matters and who verily shouldn't be allowed into a civilized discussion

EDIT 2: For grammar and Sock. sock, if you think I'm coming off as attacking Solarflare or DragonKami personally, I will gladly take a break. Flaming is certainly not my intent, I simply state what I see. So I can stop if it's too much happy.gif

Edited by MasterWeavile898

I always thought noob=stupid troll, and newb= someone new to something, neither of which I like very much. :\

@Solarflare

IDK where you got the concept I was calling you a n00b. I simply cannot take you seriously when you state that you are laughing. Saying "lol" implies a level of silliness. And if you weren't being silly, than my only other options are that you were mocking me or it was supposed to be some form of maniacal laughter (Lol, villain says lol instead of evil laughter xd.png) And I dearly hope you were not mocking me, then I likely would consider you a n00b

Also, you must allow n00bhaters here or your topic is entirely one-sided and biased against a healthy discussion. If you only allow those who agree with you to discuss something with you, then you will never learn about those who disagree with you

EDIT: To clarify: That is assuming you are using the term n00bhater to refer to anyone who dislikes n00bs. There are people who can be total asses about such matters and who verily shouldn't be allowed into a civilized discussion

EDIT 2: For grammar and Sock. sock, if you think I'm coming off as attacking Solarflare or DragonKami personally, I will gladly take a break. Flaming is certainly not my intent, I simply state what I see. So I can stop if it's too much happy.gif

I don't think it's practical to judge someone's level of competence/whether they're a newbie/noob/whatever just by how they type. Especially if they're not even using a full keyboard - which, in this generation, everything is done on phones now really - so that should definitely be taken into account. :3

Also, more often than not, "lol" without any further indication of amusement is often used as sarcasm or, in some way, "breaking the tension." I'm not sure if everyone picks up on that but for me I can do so easily. It may also just be a typing style that Solarflare has - it doesn't mean she's bad at typing a response or a noob/newbie. We all have writing quirks. I can identify almost all of mine and I've noticed a few of yours, too. x3 But I'm not intending to pick on aspects of people so~ Like DragonKami said; let people be who they want to be.

Solarflare, I'm sorry if you're feeling offended here and there! D: You say that you're somewhat new to the game, which is just fine in my book! We were all new at some point, right? This isn't a chicken and egg scenario. None of us were just born playing DC, so naturally - in my opinion - new people who aren't intentionally trolling/being difficult should not be responded to any differently than anyone else unless they actually ask for help/the person just wants to be nice and give gifts to the new member, etc. :3

Don't let people who say they don't like new people get you down. That.. really doesn't make any sense. Just think - when they apply for a new job or get into a university or just join a new site, they're the new guy in the spotlight. Imagine how they'd feel if they were disliked just because they jumped on the bandwagon later than everyone else. Not good. At all.

So with that in mind, IMO there's really no logic to that reaction - so don't feel like they have any good reason to dislike you!

That's basically my general stance on the whole "new person" deal. :3

I always thought noob=stupid troll, and newb= someone new to something, neither of which I like very much. :\

While your definitions, albeit simplistic, are closer to the truth than many, why do you have a problem with new people? There is entirely nothing wrong with being new, it simply means you haven't been playing whatever for very long

@Momo

Sarcasm is a lot worse, it definitely better not be sarcasm (I will likely explode if it was supposed to be sarcasm) I can see a tension breaker. But there must be a whole lot of tension then. And I didn't say they were a n00b, I do not consider them a n00b (unless they were mocking me by laughing, which I doubt)

I don't decide who's a n00b based on their typing. I have explained (twice!) how I go about deciding who is worthy of a n00b label. The typing thing is just a common addition and early warning sign (If someone types with impeccable grammar then they're probubbly not a n00b)

Anyway, back to the lols. If it's a typing quirk then I'm good and apologize for the misunderstanding, it still makes it hard to take a post seriously when the main body has indicated laughter (Also, my curiosity peaks, which ones? I assume its not appropriate for here, so PM would be best; if you're even willing to answer)

And one more thing that I just noticed and simply must reply to:

Besides, you try typing on a touch screen! dry.gif

Actually, two of my five posts in this topic have been done on touchscreen. My first post and the one where I mention pouring acid in my eyes

Edited by MasterWeavile898

There's certainly nothing wrong with people who are new to things, it's just that with newbies, I'm not a very good teacher, so I can be easily annoyed/frustrated when they don't do something right. That's why they sometimes bug me.

The only thing I don't like about new people, is they assume everything, and listen to nothing. I've had new people (I don't like the name Noobs) offer to trade me a common for a 4th gen shimmer egg, and then inform me that I'm lucky they offered their business at all....they've been here 3 months, and have a bronze trophy???

Or when I politely refuse a trade, they accuse me of being "rich snob" and threaten to tell everyone how mean I am?

I do try to be helpful, and reasonable, I've given a lot away, and I've always tried to be pleasant. But new people seem to come in one of two types:

1. The 'I'm new and I need SOOO much help, and can't you just give me a dragon free, you got so many, why can't I have it all NOW and why are people so meaaaaannnn!!!!' type.

2. The "I'm a big dragon fan/gamer/established snootnose in (name here) genre/other online game, and I expect preferential treatment because I'll eventually be ruling this game" attitude type.

Calm down kids. Things take time here. You'd best be prepared for the long haul and work your way up like the rest of us. Most people here are nice if you let them be.

AND...."NEWS FLASH!" All of us started out the same as you, and been here for years, took us that long to build up the "rich" scroll we have, so don't diss US for having what we WORKED for years, ok??

Edited by Riverwillows

Not all people insult noobs or others because they feel bad about themselves or whatever, sometimes you just feel obligated to tell that person they're not a gift from God who deserves special treatment. I do this quite often wink.gif

Noobs should be treated as new players for about a couple weeks, by then you should know how to play and be more independent, and this not need special treatment.

@Solarflare

You said I was acting like one. As in noobhater, I don't mean those who simply dislike them, I mean those who hate and make fun of new people. And how would I mock you?

The truth is I can be silly, but I also say lol when I remember something as ironicly funny, not always errrr.... Haha funny.

If you know the difference between noob and newbie. Please use term correctly and don't say I'm acting like a noob because I think that would mean you think i'm stupid or rude. Everyone acts like an idiot sometimes, including you and me.

I don't exactly know what a typing quirk is but this is not just for on forums, people will be worse on games like roblox, everyone types with phrases like lol, idk, afk, ikr, or they misspell words on purpose like, wepons, weps. They really are the same thing. So, if you are on an adventure game like roblox or minecraft, you can't really tell who's a noob because they all type like that. I went backwards. First , I tried to type normally but then I started using phrases and lacking in good grammar. I only do that on video games, luckily, or I'd be failing language arts.

Edited by solarflare3000

I still fail to see where I said your were acting like a n00b. I said at one point that I couldn't take laughter (lol) seriously. And slang is not a problem for me, IDK why, even though I stated that it was not so, you continue to insist that I have a problem with such things. A n00b is not defined by horrid typing, however, practically all n00bs have horrid typing. And they often have such horrid typing on purpose

And, if you were mocking me with your laughter (which you've stated you weren't), then you would be being stupid and rude. But you were not, so you aren't

That's how. Read your post carefully before posting.

Besides, if can't take the topic seriously don't bother to post.

And, like I said, if you go to a game like roblox even non-noobs type like that.

Edited by solarflare3000

http://www.wikihow.com/Define-the-Differen...ob-and-a-Newbie

even the example is of a chat it pretty much can be used on any other cases of noob / newbie difference

Edit:@ above what even is robolox? never heard of that, and I also find continuous "lol" annoying

Edit 2: if I were interested in whatever is robolox I could go and google but I don't find robolox having any main role in this topic hence I wonder on why always bring up this robolox thing

Edit 3: I see, but I don't think roblox is really necassery to bring always up, this topic is not about you it's about noobs generally, I can believe there are plenty of people who have been called noobs in other places also but they ain't bringing up the names of places contantly

Edited by Hisa

I can understand why you find lols annoying, but if you want info on roblox i'll have to Pm you info.

I bring up roblox cause that's where I've been made fun of for being a newb.

Edited by solarflare3000