solarflare3000

Noobs

Everyone is or once was a noob. What is a noob? A noob is someone who is new to an online website and may not understand all rules of a game. Many people make fun of noobs because they don't understand everything. If you tell them that they were a noob ,however, they'll say something that has nothing to do with your comment. Basically, They deny it. I believe noobs should not be made fun of but be welcomed and helped.

Btw, if someone makes fun of you it's because they feel bad about themselves and want others to feel how they feel. So you should pity them.

Edited by solarflare3000

I think people respond negative to being called "noob" because they consider it an insult/judgement more than actually just meaning that they're new at an activity or discussion or site.

In addition, there are self-proclaimed prodigies/people who are full of themselves that look down on noobs out of their own pride/the fact that they "know the ropes" and have a lot to tell.

So really, it's often a two way street.

I found that I was generally judged by a few people ( no one in particular ) on here for the rating of my scroll's trophy - that was, it was more difficult to get trades because I had no trophy or only a bronze trophy. Or even, some people would respond to my messages inquiring about a trade by just giving me the egg or hatchling, while others would respond to my comments on a thread about not having a certain kind of dragon by sending me some over PM. I never really asked for them or anything; I just noted in passing very lightly that I didn't have one yet, and.. boom. x3 I am really thankful to those people who did help me rather than just call me a noob and be done, and I do plan on repaying them despite the fact that the things they gave me I could easily have gotten at this stage in my time playing DC - it's not the value that counts to me, but how thankful I felt about it at the time.

So, it can really go both ways as far as noob discrimination.

Adding on to what Momo said, I think a lot of people prefer to be called newbie rather than 'noob', because noob is more often used as an insult.

You've described a newbie. Generally "noob" or "n00b" is a derogatory slang term referring to newbies that act/type in a rather dumb manner and/or completely ignore other rules of the site. Now a newbie shouldn't be shunned, but new people need to learn the rules of any place quickly so they don't make a lot of mistakes. Many usually do pick up very quickly and don't do things like putting eggspam everywhere but you do see it occasionally. Those that continue to break the rules, ask questions without looking for the answer in the help section, etc better fit the description of a "noob". Nonetheless, it's rude to call people that and it can provoke negative reactions.

We already have the Introduction area where a mod gives the newbie a bunch of helpful links as well as the Mentoring thread which helps anyone who feels like they need the help.

I'm not totally sure if I'm right, but I think many people mistake noob for newbie and vice-versa.

Newbie is a newcomer, someone who is not familiarised with the game/website at all.

And noob can have a lot of meanings, like people who are actually bad in a game (not necessarily a newcomer), people who cheat in the game, someone unrespectful, rude or plain "foolish", etc.

Sometimes the word "noob" is used in a playful way, not being offensive.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. tongue.gif

We all make mistakes and that's fine. We even make them twice and then another time - and it's fine.

I don't mind explaining things, I don't mind explaining it more than once when neccessary.

What I can't stand are people who repeatedly ignore all the advice that they're given and not because they have trouble understanding it.

As several people have mentioned, you're describing newbies, which are entirely different from n00bs. A n00b is someone who is actively bad at a game, generally someone who has played for a while and should have improved sooner. Or possibly someone with horid gramer and, speling problems that nobody can rely understand. theyl also geraly be rude, and very hard to like

As my general rule I give a newbie one shot to prove they aren't a n00b, or will not become one, by correcting them in a polite manner. If they argue and insist they are correct, often bringing about examples of how I am wrong with no proof to back them up (say it's an RP, they claim that their writing is great and that I'm actually the one who is bad, but give no examples), after that I rule them a n00b and will correct them more forcefully (I give newbies some slack, n00bs I expect to be the same level they claim)

Yep, people are mean to noobs because they're often arrogant jerks or people who just generally have no interest in being decent people.

They're the people who also often react badly to any kind of polite suggestions.

Like the people who type in barely-legible paragraphs containing lots of spelling and grammatical errors and often using symbols or numbers and chatspeak in general and then get offended when nobody can figure out what they're saying (often because they're using a brand of chatspeak the others aren't familiar with, but also because we have better things to do with our time than spend 20 minutes trying to read a wall of text that's barely legible) and ask them to type normally. (Note, this is not the same as those who make mistakes due to not having English as their first language or due to being younger--the problem people are those who type poorly intentionally (and not to prove a point/outside of silly topics where it's just for fun)).

I'd call that a noob/n00b.

A newbie will generally learn from suggestions and crits and advice, a n00b will generally tell people they already know everything/they're wrong (even when they asked for help in the first place) and generally resist all attempts to be educated about things they're doing wrong.

Exactly, everyone was once a noob. But I think experienced players think they're better than others, they may be. But, it also should be THEIR job to help these unfortunate 'noobs' I got called a retarded noob over gamechat in a battle on Pokémon Y. I've defeated 4/4 times of versing him. Look who's the noob now >:c

Those who say noobs are rude probably have not been treated the way I have, no offense. I been call stupid noob, and my game avatar been made fun of. This is not dc I've been made fun of on dc. My motto is if you're nice to I'm nice to you. In other games non-noobs make spelling and grammar mistakes on purpose so they can type faster. I've met players with user names like noobhater. For a short time I thought about changing my user name to thehaterofnoobhaters, but that's just stupid and I'm just asking to get laughed at there.

Anyway, I can get a little rude when someone makes fun of me. I'm not going to say I'm perfect because that's what bullies do. When someone calls me a noob I tell them don't because I don't like that and I try not to break the rules. So, I'm not a noobs but more of a newbie.

But doesn't everyone hate it when someone is mean to them? They get defensive. Stand up for their rights? Which isn't always a good idea... It turns up in violence (in game violence o.0 xd.png) I despise people who think they're better than everyone else. Clearly they haven't met nice people.

Ah, yes. Let's just pick on the one who tries to learn the aspect of the game enough for them to hate it and quit! Because you cannot be new to a game at all. You must be there from day of launch or just get out. Nobody has time for them.

i hope everyone got that was sarcasm

If anything frustrates me more though, it's repetitive questions. Literally on Animal Crossing New Leaf, I had this kid ask me a question. I smiled and answered it (it was such a newbie question I asked the samething happy.gif) though, as soon as I saw him 2-4 days later, he asked it again, was ok with it answer it still. 4 days later asks it again. I was like I've told you before! He went 'no...?' a week later the SAME QUESTION I was pretty peeved about it at the time though tongue.gif

Well I like to help the new people, I gave a few rares to some of the new people in the Introduce Yourself part of the forums. I actually still think I am a newbie, even though I have a silver trophy. I dont even use the word "Noob" unless I am joking around with family members. If you do not like "Noobs" just dont bother with them. Also just cause somone is new does not mean that they are bad at the game, my little sister caught a CB Gold in less than a year, she even got a CB Chicken and CB Copper yesterday.

(I did not read any of the other post. Yet.)

Those who say noobs are rude probably have not been treated the way I have, no offense. I been call stupid noob, and my game avatar been made fun of. This is not dc I've been made fun of on dc. My motto is if you're nice to I'm nice to you. In other games non-noobs make spelling and grammar mistakes on purpose so they can type faster. I've met players with user names like noobhater. For a short time I thought about changing my user name to thehaterofnoobhaters, but that's just stupid and I'm just asking to get laughed at there.

Anyway, I can get a little rude when someone makes fun of me. I'm not going to say I'm perfect because that's what bullies do. When someone calls me a noob I tell them don't because I don't like that and I try not to break the rules. So, I'm not a noobs but more of a newbie.

We're saying noobs are generally rude and act "stupid", etc, on purpose.

Some people can confuse the terms "noob" and "newb" (which the second is short for "newbie"). Some people also just hate ANYONE new and expects everyone to be experienced and know all of the rules and answers. Even innocent questions from new people legitimately wanting to learn the game get retaliation from older players, and the older players will even go so far as to call them a noob.

But I seriously doubt you're a noob at all...A true noob might be worthy of some dislike as they're purposefully annoying and rule-breaking, though not always a new person (it's more common though). But again, a noob =/= newbie. Usually most people don't mind newbies. Some people hate noobs, though (I wouldn't say I hate them, but they definitely can irritate me) and I can see where the hate comes from, so I let stuff like "noobhater" slide.

Why would someone make fun of your avatar? .___.; That doesn't even make sense. XD Whoever does that doesn't sound like a very nice person...

Ah, yes. Let's just pick on the one who tries to learn the aspect of the game enough for them to hate it and quit! Because you cannot be new to a game at all. You must be there from day of launch or just get out. Nobody has time for them.

i hope everyone got that was sarcasm

This. Yes!

It's like.. where do you draw the line, people? Everyone was new at some point, so what's going on here?

I understand what some people are saying and it makes sense - the difference between new people who actually want to learn ( the vast majority ) and those who are just.. almost intentionally difficult.

What I was getting at was that even completely new people who have the will to learn are oftentimes judged because they ARE new, simply. That means that if they make a mistake, it goes on a mental record.

I do know that when some people see a "newbie," they initially think that this person is either really young or just.. not competent. It's not like they're new at life - just new to the game. You don't have to talk down to them or treat them like little kids. Just tell them what they need to know.

Being new at a game doesn't make you any less intelligent/competent. As DragonKami(my younger brother) has said, our younger sister caught a CB Gold very early in her first year here on DC. I was astounded. I have only gotten my CB Golds last year, and my laptop is much faster than theirs! Not to mention.. How did she manage to memorize a CB Gold's description? When I asked, she said something like "I just saw it say something about 'metallic,' and I clicked it super fast." Which is a lot to say for her because I know a lot of people freeze up when they see CB Rares.

By the way, she's 9. And my younger brother is 13. They are really competent when it comes to this game.

While they're catching CB Rares, I'm moving across the biomes so fast that I skip over a CB Silver or Gold or Copper. Which I then kick myself for.

My brain's runnin' on fumes, but I just want to say this. I am a Noob. Yes, that's right, a bonafide Noob. I was a Newbie once, but then I learned it's better to be a Noob. The term even has less letters and is much easier to pronounce, so it's clearly the better title. cool.gif

Seriously though,

If someone is new to something, whether it be a game, forums, role playing, whatever - the generally accepted term is Newbie. A new player is usually quite receptive to advice, it's an entirely new learning process after all - and to have someone point them the right way is something someone would generally appreciate. It's quite low of someone to call another person, new player or not, a Noob in the derogatory sense. Although keep in mind not everyone understands that Noob ≠ Newbie, so being called such a thing might not always be intended as an insult.

As for when someone stops being a Newbie? Well that depends entirely on the person. Some people become acquainted with the rules, workings and other such nuances quite quickly, others need a gentle reminder or push in the right direction now and then. While I'm not a Newbie on the forums or DC in particular, when it comes to trade values I would consider myself a Newbie, and I utilise threads on the forum to educate myself on the topic.

It's sad to hear that people have been made fun of for their relative inexperience. As an online forum community, I consider DC one of the few that I feel has a generally higher level of maturity, regardless of a person's age.

Edited by VampiricOmen

I feel like this game changes so much that I'm practically a newbie. Did not know Soulpeace Dragons had a BSA until 5 minutes ago.

Exactly, everyone was once a noob. But I think experienced players think they're better than others, they may be. But, it also should be THEIR job to help these unfortunate 'noobs' I got called a retarded noob over gamechat in a battle on Pokémon Y. I've defeated 4/4 times of versing him. Look who's the noob now >:c

No. I've almost never been a noob. Ever. A newbie, yes. A noob, no. Not in years. Actually, since I was never intentionally obnoxious outside of a few topics where the whole point was to be obnoxious, I generally wasn't a very noob-ish person at all.

noob =/= newbie.

Now, some people are just jerks to new people. Those people are jerks and should be ignored. But most people dislike noobs, not newbies/newbs.

Believe me, the spelling matters. Newb(ie)s are new people, either to the game or to the number of changes that have occurred to the game. They should be treated nicely and have questions answered without fear of being attacked for not knowing things.

Noobs, however, are obnoxious little brats that, honestly, places are better off without.

Noob is also a fallback term, as you found out, as an insult. It's also a term frequently used for people who play multiplayer games but use "cheap" tactics (which can range anywhere from "highly effective results compared to the effort put in to pull off" to "smart strategy with a decent bit of behind-the-scenes work to set up and pull off that results in effective defeat of opponents and is often seen as out of nowhere to somebody who isn't aware of the strategy being employed"), or to people who cheat.

It's also often used by people who just hate losing and can't stand that somebody had the better strategy/skills.

Sometimes newbies ARE noobs, though. They're those new people who keep asking the same questions because they don't like the answers they got and who insist that "no, I was already told that but it's gotta be WRONG" just because they don't like the answer. They're the new people who act like they know everything and older players politely correcting them are idiots, who are rude and annoying and just jerks in general.

But, for the most part, news don't overlap with noobs.

Now, some people are just jerks to new people.  Those people are jerks and should be ignored.  But most people dislike noobs, not newbies/newbs.

( Also everyone has been a "Noob" at least Ten times ( Most likely) In thier whole life )

(I cut out the other stuff because I am replying to this.)

But the thing is, most people these days dislike New people more than "Noobs."

Now they may be more people that dislike "Noobs" on DC, and less that dislike new people but we can not be completely sure about that. But hey if you be nice to a new person they (Might) become great and be nice to the next gen new people and so forth. So maybe we could all be a little nicer to everyone, new people, "Noobs" veterans etc. But thats just me.

Edited by DragonKami

pfft. no p3pl3 dislik n00bs mor. th3y talk lik this and it g3ts r3ally anoying. and w3n somon3 t3ls th3m th3r rong they Y3L ABUT HOW TH3R RIGHT AND ANYONE WHO SAYS TH3R RONG IS AN IDIOT AND A N00B WHO NOWS NOTTING. th3y of3n brag abut how th3y now 3v3rthng abut what3v3r gam3 th3r playing. 3v3n though th3y allwas ask for h3lp and rare gifts (Like asking for a CB gold for free after just saying how they have like twenty) and w3n th3y do that th3y usuly giv no proof of how th3y ar a pro. pr3f3ring to brag abut how gud th3y ar ov3r showing th3r accomplishm3nts (I'm not even going to bother trying to type that any worse) rar3ly do p3pl3 hat3 th3m for just b3ing n3w, g3n3rally (or that) they 3rn it by b3ng j3rks

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go pour acid on my eyes to cleanse this n00bish abomination from my retinas

Edited by MasterWeavile898

(I cut out the other stuff because I am replying to this.)

But the thing is, most people these days dislike New people more than "Noobs."

Now they may be more people that dislike "Noobs" on DC, and less that dislike new people but we can not be completely sure about that. But hey if you be nice to a new person they (Might) become great and be nice to the next gen new people and so forth. So maybe we could all be a little nicer to everyone, new people, "Noobs" veterans etc. But thats just me.

Oh, I don't doubt that there's a lot of people out there who are just nasty to newbies because they're just jerks.

I'm just saying that newbie and noob are NOT one and the same, not to a large number of people.

Though, honestly, I'm generally nice enough to noobs until they piss me off by being super annoying. I generally like to give people the benefit of the doubt--maybe they're just new, and maybe they're having a bad day. But if they insist on being nasty (rather than, "Oh, sorry, I didn't realize what I was doing wasn't okay") then I'm perfectly fine getting a bit snippy/sarcastic with them.

One problem though, a lot of people these days think that "Noobs" and "Newbs" are the same thing. So if you don't get what happens from there... They now call New people "Noobs" and thus the word "Noob" has a new (Slang) Definition (Someone who is new) and then this happens. Joe: Hey frank look a noob! Frank: Ha! what a loser! Bob: So why am I a loser? Joe: Noob! Frank: Hahaha! (I lowered it down) But you get the point. Now people (Think) "Noob" and "Newb" are the same thing

and thus picking on both at the same time. Here you go... (Dictionary)

wel yes tat hapens but tat dosnt men pepl shuld just ignor jerks who want to tipe lik idiots and rag at beng told their rong it mens pepl ned to pay mor atention to the proper defintons of words ur first cupl posts on the mater honestly come of as not nowing the diferens betwen a n00b and a newb

Well I like to help the new people ... If you do not like "Noobs" just dont bother with them.

the gramer in ur post implys tat u considr n00b to men a new person the fact tat ur stanc changd after reding the topic implys tat u hav soly ben ejucated by reding the topic and theirby rely hav no rigt to clam tat u now mor than kagesora, who has ben the most influntil contributor to the topic

And let me reiterate that in readable English. Firstly, people thinking n00b means newbie is their own mistake, and one you very clearly made in your first post in this topic. Secondly, considering your stance suddenly changed from "don't be mean to new people/n00bs" to "people are meaner to new people than n00bs" indicates that reading the topic caused this stance change. And thus you cannot claim to know more about the topic than the topic's main competent contributor. Furthermore, your stance has changed yet again as you have been corrected and it has been shown that you are wrong. From "people are meaner to new people than n00bs" to "people confuse new people and n00bs because of grammar and spelling and are mean to both" Which is highly inconsistent and contradictory to your former statement. This new argument is the truest of them all and a legitimate problem, but it is also a separate argument from the one KageSora and I responded to at first

And as I said much earlier, I give newbs, and others, a chance to prove themselves and fix any problems I point out to them. But when they say, "i no better than u, ur a n00b, fu." I expect them to perform as well as they have claimed they can. It's not irrational to expect a level of competence beyond someone's capability when they have claimed they have said level of competence. And if they're gonna be rude to me like that, then I shall speak my mind. And I shall be perfectly happy to correct them still, it will simply be much harsher with less intent to help them improve and more simply to correct them

It is, however, irrational to expect people to respond to this: "giv m3 t3n golds now pl3as" With anything but annoyance and a no. And when the response is "fu, u hav lik3 30" Anger. If someone is polite enough to ask me to breed my golds (which I have minimal amounts of myself) then I will gladly do it for them, regardless of how long they have been playing