ChocolateIzzy

Jane Eyre

Have any of you read Jane Eyre?! happy.gif It's amazing!! I totally love this classic by Charlotte Brontë smile.gif What are your thoughts on this wondrous classic?

And who are your favourite characters if you read it? I personally love the reunion between Jane and Mr Rochester at the end :3

I've read it too! I really liked it, and my favorite character was Mr. Rochester, although he was a bit manipulative. I greatly admire Jane as well, especially when she refused to marry Mr. Rochester.

happy.gif I think you're the only other person I know who's read it D: I know a girl called Izzy (irony... xd.png) who's read it and loves it x3. I loved Helen ;n;

Welp, I've read it too but I'll be that one person who hates it. Though to be fair, I rarely like books of that genre anyway. Even classics. tongue.gif

Don't worry, you're not alone. wink.gif

I liked it and Charlotte was very talented, but personally I prefer the other two sisters. Wuthering Heights is, in my opinion, the strongest book, although it can be a bit... too intense. I think I like Agnes Grey best, which is partly autobiographical and therefore especially believable. The tenant of Wildfell Hall impressed me with the strong (for the time) feminist views. Anne had to use a male pseudonym to publish it (like all the Brontë sisters), but it WAS published despite the "shocking" views expressed in it.

I've only read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. They are great stories but a bit too detailed and long winded for me/ WH is extremely intense and Catherine and Heathcliffe will be remembered long after poor Jane and Edward are forgotten. If you love Wuthering Heights you might also like Frances Parkinson Keyes Book about star crossed lovers I think both Blue Camellia and Crescent carnival might please you. I liked most of her novels.

Jane Eyre is one of the few classics that I actually enjoyed, which is odd considering it was in great part a romance....

I liked the last half. It is one of the few books that I could not get through reading. I read the first half when I was a kid. (Middle school, maybe?) Got to the part where it was revealed just who a certain someone was and put it down. I finally got through it by listening to it on CDs. I enjoyed the last part (the happily ever after part, I'm a sucker for that) and so went back to the book and read it. I always enjoy rereading books I like.

Wuthering Heights was really good too happy.gif

I still stand at Jane Eyre being one of the best books I've read

It was sad, and made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside

I love Jane Eyre! Although sometimes I kinda wanted to smack Jane upside the head and tell her to just TELL St. John that she wasn't eager to die.

Have any of you read Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair?

I've read this as required reading for grade 10. I had my dad's annotated copy, and it was great. happy.gif

Though my best friend constantly hides notes saying Jane Eyre Sucks <3 around in my desk and the English classroom. xd.png

I read it, and parts of it were enjoyable, but I found Jane and Rochester's relationship to be super creepy, though. I mean, he's old enough to be her dad (she's 19 and he's in his mid-40s - over twice her age, and she's not even out of her teens yet), he's her boss, and [spoilerS] he doesn't bother to tell her that he's already legally married - much less that his wife is crazy and living in their house - until she's literally on the altar. If that's not a twisted relationship, I don't know what is. I know, "different era," and all that, but the manipulation and power dynamics are just... so gross in that relationship.

Edited by M_Padfoot