NinjaKrill

Surprise~!

i was honesly a little surprised by the announcement of Mega Gallade. I wasn't expecting it, but I'm glad it was announced c:

My cat caught a baby mouse alive… Now I'm caring for it. Definitely wasn't expecting to have to do that today.

After roughly fourteen years of trying to get rid of an item on my bucket list (the only one on it, cough), I finally took care of it today.

Doesn't sound like a surprise, does it? But it needs a bit of context, and then it'll make sense as one:

It wasn't in my power to decide it - it was about meeting a person special to me, who had successfully 'dodged' me for all those years (not by active intention, per se, just out of circumstance and bad luck on my side, coupled with self-esteem issues making me nervous to bother him more than I felt was absolutely necessary, thereby not articulating myself as well as I probably should have). He's had a significant impact on my life, shaped a lot of my philosophy and political opinion, and is probably single-handedly responsible for my optimism about mankind as a whole. All of which isn't intentional on his part, either, but he's got a very special, surreal personality that's hard to believe if you haven't actually encountered him before.

Either way, I had occasional e-mail contact with him over the years, which was great, but he had the frustrating habit of going quiet whenever I had the chance to say hi in the real world. Two days ago, I told him I'd be in his general area from Wednesday evening to Friday morning. He went silent again after an initial (very amicable!) acknowledgement - and I snapped, and just about chewed him out via e-mail yesterday, telling him to stop tortuing me already.

And then something happened that I wasn't expecting. This morning, he organised lunch with me. ohmy.gif He went out of his way to set aside an hour of his time, just to hang out with me (and my boyfriend). Part of it was certainly annoyance, I'm sure, and the desire to shut me up once and for all on the topic of meeting up, xd.png but nonetheless, I'm practically speechless. I didn't notice I was tense until after lunch was over. Then my legs turned to jelly. Go figure.

You'd think at 30 years of age, I'd be immune to swooning like a fangirl, but to me, who pays perhaps too fine an attention to personalities in general, he made quite an impression (without trying). I wasn't expecting that, either, since I was convinced I'd stopped being emotionally involved several long months ago, when my depressions were worst (and just made communication with him embarrassing, really). But today, I was definitely reminded why I look up to this guy.

It's not every day you meet someone who can do unadulterated self-confidence without being narcissistic, condescending or pushy. I felt like an equal - despite not having gone to lunch even aiming to get more than the modicum of respect necessary for courtesy.

Just. Wow. Still recovering from the pleasant shock to my system. smile.gif