Sarah864

Taking, Trading, Killing, And Abandoning Gifts

Abandoning is okay and freezing is okay, though I'd rather you let me know that you plan to freeze. Trading of lineaged dragons that I've bred specifically for gifting, I'd rather not see. If I wanted to trade the dragons, I'd do it myself. I'm also not a fan of releasing or purposely killing dragons. If you didn't want it, you shouldn't have taken it or requested that I breed it. I was quite miffed to discover that the one of the very first offspring of my 2nd gen Thuwed had been released by its owner.

The most inexcusable sin in my book is releasing a gift. I would rather the dragon ended up dead than wild on any day.

Then have this gem: Valentine '09 from an inbred father (it was the ONLY egg produced that year, and I'm almost sure I gifted it the old-fashioned way - via code grabbing) was first bred and then released. I was so angry I kept breeding Viola with the inbred mate year after year out of spite and only now, five years later, I'm considering to get a CB Winter as Viola's new mate for Valentine breeding (naming it Teddy Sugarcloud II to preserve the backstory).

I'm like Elsa when it comes to gifted dragons: Let it go, let it go.

But, I don't have a lot of high-value dragons, like 2nd-gen Prizes (or 1st gen Prizes, lol). If I had a Prize dragon, or an original Holly, and found out someone I'd gifted offspring to had done something unsavory with the egg, I'd probably never trade with them or gift an egg to them again.

I hate seeing people harm/ trade away my gifts. Re-gifting to someone else though is fine. If I wanted to trade it, I could've done that myself. Abandoning isn't fine either. Freezing though is fine.

I also make a distinction between trades and dragons I chose to gift ( Whether through gifting thread or otherwise.)

For those that I have traded to someone for something else,i BASICALLY figure that it is now that person's dragon, they PAID for it. IF they decide to vampie bite it, zombifie it or flat out kill it... well, that is their loss seeing as they are out whatever they traded to me in exchange for said dragon. I feel I am also under no obligation to replace in that case. ( Admittedly in the case of a suspected instance of view bombing my feeling might be different)

For those that I gift, I generally prefer them not to be bitten or killed or neglected or anything of that sort. Admittedly I have very little way of enforcing this. HOWEVER IF it is a dragon I actually find someone to gift to, instead of tossing it to the AP to fend for itself, it means that I cared enough about that dragon to think about it, and it means I actually DO CARE to some extent what becomes of it. I will usually request that the giftee not kill or harm it, if I am truly worried. ONCE AGAIN. I have no way of enforcing this request and I know that. As far as names, I usually make no demands there other than to say that naming is appreciated. (I know some people request specific naming schemes to be used.I don't like to do this because others may have their own name schemes they want to use.) REGIFTING, I am OK with. I am not so OK with people trading away gifts or using them to pay IOUS, unless they stated upfront that they wanted said gift for an IOU...in which case I could choose whether or not to proceed with a gift.

The truth IS that , ultimately, once an egg or hatchie is off your scroll it is no longer under your control, the best you can do is make request s and hope that people honor them... and IF you give a gift that you feel is treated inappropriately, why, then you are not under any obligation to gift to the individual in question any more.

Edited by Silverswift

On the gifting threads, it is a love-hate relationship.

I wish people would post that they have taken an egg/hatchling. You have enough desire to take it, but not enough desire to offer thanks for that person who bred the egg and kept it on their scroll and used one of their magi for teleport for someone else to take instead of just abandoning it to the AP. I also dislike clicking on link after link seeing this egg has been claimed by another user.

I also hate it when someone breeds two+ eggs, only to have them all claimed by the same person. I realize it is a 'first come, first serve' type of a thing ... but it still seems ... selfish.

I am very grateful for those posters who do put eggs up on threads like that though.

On eggs that I have posted on gifting threads ( which hasn't been often, cause I don't really have eggs that others would find valuable ). I view it the same as dropping eggs to the AP. If they get frozen, ok. If they get biten, whatever. If they are killed, they are killed. Once they leave my scroll it is out of my hands.

Like many others, I don't follow up on the eggs I gift away. However, should I find a trade with my gift egg by sheer accident, I'd be royally peed.

Of course, I've had it happen that people I gifted something to asked me if it was okay to re-gift it, which it is IMHO. I know I've passed on some things myself, mostly to my daughter when she was still actively playing. But also if I found out that I didn't need that kind of egg, after all. Or if someone else needed it badly.

I know that, back when yules weren't easy to get during the season and we still had limits of two, I got gifted to messy yulebucks, which I released later on due to limits - a fact I still feel guilty about. (Of course, the limits on bred eggs got revoked the year after. Or was it two?) It allowed me to replace my "messies" with two 4th gen checkers, one of which still needs a mate after all those years. xd.png

And, of course, for trades, everything is alright - freezing, biting, neglecting, killing, releasing, zombifying, trading, filling IOUs - you name it. Because the new owner actually gave something back for it, and if they choose to risk the egg they got from me for any reason, they'd probably have a good reason. :/

Edited by olympe

It doesn't bother me what happens with dragons dropped on the departure board, or dragons traded. I gift a lot and generally don't see what happens to them. I did see a dead fifth gen gold shimmer, and that made me a bit sad. But that's their loss. Not mine lol. The one thing that really does bug me is that nobody bothers to say thank you anymore! I'm gifting less nice eggs now because of that. I don't like seeing my metals disappear into the unknown. It makes me happy to see familiar names picking up my gifts.

I have in my signature that I breed on request. I do hope those are genuinely wanted and will be taken care of. You did take the time to ask me for it after all!

I do understand though, that people's tastes change over time. If I gifted something with not a nice lineage, and later it was released, oh well. I purged a lot of dragons from my scroll, and I hope none of those were gifted to me. But I don't know anymore. I am guilty of breeding and then releasing my first two hollies. I replaced them with much nicer ones last year. I traded for one, so don't feel the slightest bit guilty. Not sure on the other. It was probably an AP catch though.

For things that I personally take or get gifted, I take the upmost care with them. I only take things I really want, or lineages that I admire, so I'm not looking to trade or dump them. I also tend to fog gifts to keep away unwanted views. Nearly lost a pretty gifted red not that long ago. I understand people are attached to what they breed, and I try to take care.

Edited by Sister of the Dragon

Then have this gem: Valentine '09 from an inbred father (it was the ONLY egg produced that year, and I'm almost sure I gifted it the old-fashioned way - via code grabbing) was first bred and then released.

I did something similar with a messy Yulebuck a few years back. Catching holidays was a lot harder than it is today. And we had a limit of 2. So I bred my messy one, to share the eggs with users that had none yet - even messy ones were picked up quickly. Then I released the messy father and went hunting for one with a shorter lineage. And I don't feel bad about it at all. If there's a limit of 2 that you're allowed to have on your scroll, I'll be picky about their lineages. Glad the limits are gone!

Edit: My Yule was an AP catch and not a gift, though xd.png

Edited by Ha-Ki

I would never kill or abandon a gift and I don't like the idea of someone doing so to something I gifted. The whole reason for gifting is to make sure the egg goes to someone who will take care if it instead of abandoning it and hoping for the best.

I see no reason someone shouldn't be able to take multiple gifts unless the gifter specifically wants a certain type of person to get it (such as gifting new release eggs to people who couldn't grab them)

Personally I'm fine with freezing, since the hatchling is still being taken care of, but I wouldn't if the gifter asked me not to.

As for trading, that's just rude. Regifting is one thing (like grabbing the egg for a sibling or friend) but trading in hopes of a better egg is just disrespectful to the gifter.

Basically, be grateful that they bothered to gift it. Golden rule and all that.

Once someone took a code-egg I gifted in the Oddball Code thread, and then immediately offered it for trade...in the same thread...a few posts below mine. Asking a CB Copper for it. A person can do whatever he/she wants with an egg gifted that way, but I thought it was in very poor taste and haven't traded with her since.

But usually I don't mind what people do with my FFA gifts. I often gift Prizes and understand that some people would prefer to trade it for a different lineage they don't have. Best case scenario, maybe it'll make two people happy - the original giftee, and the person to whom it was traded.

AP eggs especially are anything goes in my mind. It's nice when someone treasures an egg I APed, but sometimes they are bitten/killed/traded and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't really Bite or Zombify myself but if I did I might go to the AP looking for fresh victims. tongue.gif Luckily I have never had anyone mistreat a gift that was specifically requested of me, as a few others have posted. That would definitely irk me. dry.gif

Edited by Tecca

(This entire post is mainly referring to the departures thread, which is where I gift the most.)

My rules about gifted eggs vary, depending on the line. There are a few special lineages that I gift that I ask that go to homes that will keep them and name them, but otherwise I usually don't care that much what people do with my eggs.

Generally, (especially with prize lineages and other rares), my stance is that if trading it helps them get whatever they wanted/needed more, then that's awesome!

I do find it a little odd/annoying when people take a gifted egg and immediately abandon it, or release it when it grows up. I generally gift nice lineages (and the only messy one's I gift are rares anyway, which make for good freeze fodder), so I don't really get it, but I mean--oh well, am I right?

Let's see, in terms of /taking/ a gift, I find it incredibly rude when you don't get a thank you, or even a response. I don't care if the thank you is via PM because you don't want other's knowing you were the one who took it! Just...just say anything!

Everything is relative, isn't it?

Disclaimer: I used to breed almost exclusively for the AP and I feel guilty if I do not: people that are not members of the forum should have the same chances of forum members at getting nice stuff. I'm a relatively new DC user so I breed only low gens (3rd and less, maybe 4th if a Tinsel or Shimmer) and BSAs.

Nowadays, if I decide to drop an egg in the AP, I'm aware that it could be killed, traded etc. I do not track it. If I gift something special to someone I've been PMing with for a while, it is because I trust them so I do not track either.

I've a register for eggs that I gifted in the Notice Board since I tend to ask for a dummy for special things like 2G PB Golds. I record also special CBs gifted "just because". If the giftee kills or trades the gift, I'll not complain. But I will avoid gifting anything special to that person in the future.

Edited by NotBambi