Sarah864

Taking, Trading, Killing, And Abandoning Gifts

However, just as it's anyone's right to do whatever they want with their own dragons (within DC rules ie no inappropriate names), it's also anyone's right to list their list of requests of what a new owner do or do not do with the dragon they are gifting.

Can't speak for anyone else, but if I see someone with a laundry list of conditions attached to the eggs they trade or gift then I would probably try to avoid taking eggs from them. *Especially* if they want it to apply to traded eggs. As I said, once a traded egg is off my scroll I couldn't give two hoots what happens to it, so I'd get a bit niggly if someone turned around and tried to dictate what happens to the egg I received. Because while I do usually care for my eggs and things usually get names and mates eventually and so on, I don't really want to feel guilt-tripped because I didn't name it after the Blerpaderp lineage and lifemate it to a Pebble. Easier to avoid disappointment all round by just avoiding that sort of trade. *shrug*

Can't speak for anyone else, but if I see someone with a laundry list of conditions attached to the eggs they trade or gift then I would probably try to avoid taking eggs from them.  *Especially* if they want it to apply to traded eggs.  As I said, once a traded egg is off my scroll I couldn't give two hoots what happens to it, so I'd get a bit niggly if someone turned around and tried to dictate what happens to the egg I received.  Because while I do usually care for my eggs and things usually get names and mates eventually and so on, I don't really want to feel guilt-tripped because I didn't name it after the Blerpaderp lineage and lifemate it to a Pebble.  Easier to avoid disappointment all round by just avoiding that sort of trade.  *shrug*

True. Trades with special conditions are irritating. In general if they wish for a specific name I'll keep to it, but chances are that it might end up being stabbed, without a lifemate etc. I just can't remember all of that and I generally don't lifemate my dragons.

Meh. I also don't consider leaving eggs in the departure threads as true gifting, but I still wouldn't like to see one my eggs from there be traded. It's mainly because that egg could have been grabbed by someone who truly needed it, be it for a lineage, scroll goal or something else.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

I don't know if gifts from me are being traded away, I don't track it, but I do not understand releasing. If someone wants zombie/vampire with a specific lineage or tries to create a tombstone lineage with a breed they don't have it's fine, but if you want to release a dragon why do you take it in the first place? It could have gone to somebody who would use it somehow.

@Amazon_warrior & PointOfOrigin: agreed.

I don't know if gifts from me are being traded away, I don't track it, but I do not understand releasing. If someone wants zombie/vampire with a specific lineage or tries to create a tombstone lineage with a breed they don't have it's fine, but if you want to release a dragon why do you take it in the first place? It could have gone to somebody who would use it somehow.

@Amazon_warrior & PointOfOrigin: agreed.

I think I can even understand that. Lots of people take a messy gifted dragon just so that they could have that sprite. Once their scrolls grow and they get nicer prettier lineages releasing the old, messy guys seems like a logical choice. I know I released a couple of my messy Tinsels that I caught in the AP. At that point in time I wanted them and needed them. But in time, they became a burden. I'd accidentally breed them and ruin the lineage and they were just confusing to me. So I released them. Granted, I'm pretty sure that none of them were gifts.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

I'm always a bit torn on the topic though in general, if I put up an egg in a departure thread, I do accept the possibility that it may end up dead, vamped or abandoned. Same with the eggs that I send to the AP.

The only times I get really upset is when people ask for something specific in a thread and then trade away or release the gift. Though, luckily that has rarely happened so far.

I generally abide by the thought that once it leaves my scroll whoever picks it up may do with it whatever they want. This goes mostly for the AP, but also Departure Threads or the Take and Egg, Leave an Egg. What I put in there are dragons that I didn't want anymore and thought somebody else might enjoy.

Direct gifts or requests are a bit of a different story for me, although I haven't had any bad experiences with it yet either. I usually tell people what I'm okay with and so far nobody has gone against that.

If they did go against it I would consider that to be very rude. Especially if somebody were to ask me for a comparably rare dragon only to turn around and use it as trade fodder. To me this is very disrespectful to the kindness of the person giving the gift. (Although if somebody were to ask me for a dragon with the open intent to retrade I might consider it.

Trades on the other hand fall under the first heading again. I got something in return for it, so now it's yours to do with what you want.

In my country it is a very rude thing to regift a gift, so I don't generally feel very comfortable around that idea. I'm very aware it is a cultural thing, and this game houses many different nationalities, so it's not really much of an issue at all. Chances are, if you regift a gift, I won't even know anyways.

As for everything else, you want neglected or vampire fodder? I'll breed you a bunch. It would be awesome to have a neglected in one of my dragon's lineages!

I feel the implicit rules of a gift here on the forum could be understood as follows:

1) don't abandon it,

2) don't bite it,

3) don't experiment with it,

4) don't re-gift it,

5) don't trade it,

6) if the gifter asked to be told that you picked it up, tell them (unless you're not signed up on the forum).

Note: I don't believe "don't release it" is part of this list. By the time people usually release a dragon to the wild, they've long since forgotten that the dragon was ever a gift, and that's OK.

I live by these implicit rules, which is to say I abide by them if I pick up a gift.

If I want to do any of the "forbidden" things with a gift, I'll ask the gifter; if the answer is 'no', they are getting it back, or I'm otherwise doing what the want with it.

Since I feel that's the Dragon Cave community norm (I personally don't care if this norm is anything anyone is entitled to, I'm going to respect it whether or not it is, it's easy enough to do), when I gift, I expressly mention that I'm not that picky about what happens to mine, so people looking for pretty vampire and Neglected fodder can pick it up and be guilt-free about it (pretty sure some people feel guilty about that sort of thing and that would be a shame). Stuff that I gift in public are free for people to do with as they please; I do ask that people let me know if they picked it up just to sate my curiosity, but lots of people who read the forum don't actually have an account to do that with, so while I'm bummed when I don't get a notification, that's okay.

However, lately I've added the "please don't abandon it" line to gifts as my only request - since eggs can hatch and hatchlings can grow up in the AP and then end up in the wild, and my dragons tend to have an obscene amount of views since I try to get them to gender early (for eggs this is, of course, assuming I changed my mind about keeping them), I prefer gifting them here to APing them. That way, they have a chance to go to someone's scroll.

The other day someone anonymous decided to AP something I've FFA'd with that request. Someone kindly pointed it out to me - I got lucky, they fished it out of the AP (the AP was still low-time enough) and gave it a loving home. smile.gif

[ Edit: Regarding rules attached to trades: I find them strange and would never do that. If you're trading, you already got something for giving your dragon away. I figure courtesy is something people 'owe' you (insomuch as the word can be used at all, and that's very debatable) only in absence of other compensation; though it's extremely common to treat traded dragons with care, so there's no real need to fuss even if you're the sort to. happy.gif ]

Edited by pinkgothic

For me, it absolutely depends on how it was gifted. Didn't want to discuss it in the other thread, but I'm glad I can share my thoughts on the topic here - thanks for making this thread, Sarah!

In any case, regifting is perfectly fine for me. Freezing as well.

Regular trade: The other person paid something for my egg and can treat it however they please, I don't care.

Departure Thread: equals throwing the egg in the AP for me - I use it only for hatchies I want to get off my scroll (usually messy blacks or vines I caught from the AP to see if they alt), because I am not sure how the AP handles hatchies at the moment and I don't want them to die in the AP, even if I want to get them off my scroll. Whoever claims my stuff is free to do with it what they want.

Take an egg, leave an egg Thread: I don't put stuff there anymore, 'coz it annoys me that so many people grab stuff without saying thank you or giving something back. In that thread I'd expect them to, as it is in the rules for the thread. It is extremely rude, and I don't want to support those people. (two-way teleports are still fine, but if I breed nice stuff to gift I usually go to another thread, and if I want to get stuff off my scroll, I want to get it off fast)

However, I somehow assume that this is a gifting thread and people should take stuff they like, and not stuff for trade fodder or killing. It's a bit rude, but most important, it is unfair, because someone who really wanted that egg for their own scroll ends up with nothing.

Breeding Threads: I sometimes breed nice stuff to gift in one of the threads (usually the even-gen trading and gifting thread). I usually include "please let me know where it went". Often people don't do that. It annoys me. I don't care what people do with the egg, but I don't like it when they take advantage of people breeding for free and don't even say thank you or respect the breeder's wish to know where it ended up.*

Individual gifts: If someone asks me to gift them something or if I pm them with something their signature said they were looking for, I assume they want it for themselves (or a familiy member or friend without forum account) and I expect them to treat it nicely. That means, no trading and nothing that could kill the egg without asking.

I probably wouldn't be able to distinguish regifting and trading 'coz I'd just see it ends up on another scroll. But if I did see someone trade off an individual gift, I'd never gift that person again.

Yeah, I know that once an egg is off my scroll, it's no longer mine and it's completely the new owner's choice what to do with it. But it's completely my own choice whether to give away things for free to that person again xd.png

* When I was typing, it occured to me that maybe some people are not posting back that they took it on purpose, 'coz they plan to e.g. freeze it but are scared that I might harass them if I know who took it and saw they froze it?

Edited by Ha-Ki

The only thing I'm rather unhappy about is when a gift (note: I do not gift via threads, usually) is bitten or killed without prior notice. This is especially true for my two projects (agents/azure). I could care less what happens with the rest, or gets thrown to AP. AP pretty much is to me: hoping to get into the "great lineages thread" :-)

My only ONLY real issue is that when I seek out a profile (usually of someone who has had something nasty happen - a post about a bombing, or an autoing of something, or someone whose dog died) to breed and gift something that the owner says they SOOOOO want and they let it die, or AP it, it makes me wonder if it is worth doing that at all... sad.gif

But it doesn't actually stop me. I don't follow most stuff, as it is indeed none of my business what others do - but a few I do. Not least to see if the new owner carries on with my naming scheme, if I had one - and if so - how !!

Edited by fuzzbucket

I also find it very annoying when someone promises to name a gift--often a really nice one, like a 2g Metal--and then never does.

Harrr....I only asked for my dragons to be named twice. Both times I gave the eggs away in the Departure thread. First time it was a PB Copper. The person had to write me a PM and tell me which name he/she would give the dragon....but the Copper remains unnamed to this day. HEH!

Same with the offspring from Elvis Presley and Janis Joplin, it didn't get named. I then changed the names of the parents into rather...well, not very nice names in Japanese xd.png

Now, I usually don't care much what people do with hatchlings I give away in the Departure thread when I need to get rid of them anyway. I also don't care what happens with the eggs I trade because I use my eggs/hatchlings to get what I want/need. Re-gifting is also perfectly fine. I don't keep track of every egg which leaves my scroll. If I saw somebody trading an egg which I gave them for free I don't know what I'd feel though, as it hasn't happened to me yet. I don't think I'd be very happy about it but whatever.

Overall I'm for "treat other people's eggs like you want your eggs to be treated". I say thank you, don't take eggs which I don't need/really like, don't abandon, don't release, don't kill, don't trade. If I want to create NDs or Vampires there are plenty of eggs floating around in the AP - I see no need for wasting another person's teleport for that and don't understand people who do it.

I rather give somebody an egg when they need it or when I feel the person would be very happy about it. I kind of stopped "random gifting" for strangers (especially bred eggs) in the Departure thread. I breed my Shimmers and Tinsels and send them to the AP from time to time.

But I know some awesome players from somewhere else who don't seem to be very active in this forum & who are very helpful. I know I can give these people eggs without worrying. There is especially one person I like to give nice finds. "Oh, a 4th-gen Silver Tinsel with Shadow Walkers? I don't have CB Shadow Walkers but *peep* has them, let's see if she already owns the line!", just like that.

Edited by Mondat

Until recently, I have not given much thought to what happens to gifts I've received/given. I've always thought that eggs and hatchies from the Take-Leave and Departure threads were fair game and not at all different from AP catches. unsure.gif Sure some members have specified rules (e.g. naming/biting/abandoning/trading/re-gifting), and I am willing to follow those rules, but there are also eggs and hatchies left with no strings attached. I make sure by asking, of course.

On a similar note, what happens to eggs/hatchies that I've left in either threads doesn't matter to me at all. You can keep/kill/abandon/re-gift/trade it and I probably won't mind. But if you do plan on keeping it, a name would make my day. smile.gif I always love seeing what people come up with. Trades are basically the same thing; as soon as the egg(s) and/or hatchie(s) leave my scroll, it's yours to do with as you see fit. happy.gif

Personal gifts from me are not much of a different matter, though I'd be confused as to why someone would re-gift/trade/abandon something they want and I only ask for a PM to notify me first before doing so. blink.gif

I do realize that it's up to the individual person what they do with their own dragons. And once you give someone a gift, it's up to them what they do with it. It belongs to them, now.

However! If I specifically bred an egg for someone because they specifically wanted it -- or said they did -- and then that person killed it or gave it away or abandoned it or even traded it for something they thought was 'better', I'd be a bit upset. It's not like I gave them an egg they didn't ask for. You know, like transferring it to their scroll when they didn't want it.

The same if I offer eggs for free in some forum, I think. If someone took a free offer and killed the egg etc. Why would anyone do that except to stop someone else from getting it who might have loved having the egg. It seems mean. It's not like you caught the egg yourself in the cave or the AP.

So, yes, I do realize it's their scroll and they can do what they want with it, but still, I think it's very rude and inconsiderate to behave like that. Just my two cents. :-)

ETA: On the other hand, a trade is different, since it's been paid for, not given to you for nothing.

Edited by Jennie

I do not like to see people abandon or trade my gifts away, and I especially hate to see them killed without at least being turned into a zombie. I also don't like to see them zombied or vamped unless I specifically say yes, you may do that. I also don't like to see my babies remain unnamed. However, I understand other people may have different opinions on what to do with the dragons, so it's their decision. smile.gif

In a trade, I don't care what you do with the eggs or hatchlings, so long as you don't kill them. You've essentially paid me for the egg/hatchling, so do whatever you please with it!

-HB

Edited by Halfabean

I hope that people respect when I ask for an egg I bred not to be killed or vamped, but eh, it is off my scroll so it's theirs to do so if they want.

The one thing I do dislike is when I put an egg up for grabs in a specific thread, hoping that it will be taken by someone who can appreciate the lineage (thuweds, prizefails, etc) and then I find it went to the AP where the person taking it may have no idea what they're picking up. Besides I usually breed for the AP at the same time anyway.

I'm new, so I only have 7 dragons and 3 eggs right now, but my intention is to make nice lineages. However, I do, and will, collect messy lineages. I break my dragons into three categories, each with a surname to tell me what category of lineage they're in.

Basically, I, personally, would never ever abandon, release, bite, kill, or experiment with any gift given. I would always give it a name and try to carry on with it's previous lineage, or create a new (but neat) one if I couldn't carry on the first. I actually don't ever see myself ever biting, killing or releasing any dragon of mine, even if I picked it myself, since my goal is just to collect dragons and create families of them.

With gifts I give in the future, I wouldn't mind if they were given away, abandoned, not named, bitten, or experimented on. The only thing that would bother me is the senseless killing of them without intent to create a zombie or neglected, or releasing them. To me, those things just make no sense at all.

A trade would be different. I'm basically giving up my rights to that egg in exchange for another, so I wouldn't concern myself with it, though it might sadden me to see it killed without intent to create something else or released. Again, those two things just make no sense to me.

When I trade an egg, I relinquish all control for that egg. They can do what they want with it after that [though admittedly I do get a bit sad when if I find it dead]

A egg that's requested of me [i breed many things for free], I expect to be kept because I was asked for it and bred it specifically for that person =) A un-asked for gift that I bred and sent to someone because I saw it on their wishlist [i do this fairly often >.>] is their's to do with as they wish. Obviously they want it if it was on their wishlist, but in my mind it's their's if they then want to trade it off again if they find something they want more

As for gifts I received, and I've gotten two or so, not many, I will keep and name and treasure forever =3 No biting, killing, releasing, etc. No matter how messy the lineage. I might not breed it if it's a messy lineage or a lineage I can't continue, but I will still give it a name and keep it on my scroll ^.^

Edited by Sirithiliel

If I trade away an egg, I don't think twice about what happens to it. I already received my end of the deal, and I don't expect that person to make me follow their rules if I don't expect them to follow mine. There are cases however when people have a request, and I will follow it.

As for gifts, I always keep it, no matter what, or what lineage...Except from a certain person who purposely tries to give me things I can't stand tongue.gif (you know I still <3 you!)

When people take things from a departure thread, it's always nice to see a thanks.

When people snatch and run without saying anything, it can be annoying if it was something really nice, but usually it doesn't bug me.

One of my biggest DC peeves is this: someone saying "well I don't have much time, that's why sometimes I don't reply a thanks" . ....you had time to take the egg/hatchling though didn't you?

Eh, it depends. Quite often I'm just giving away an egg to get rid of it and don't care about the egg beyond that. But if I breed an egg for someone at their request and they just dump it or whatever I might get mad. If I notice (because I don't often check up on my eggs)

It depends. However, if you're taking an egg/hatchling from a gifting thread I think it's beyond rude to kill it. If you don't want it don't take it, I'd rather it be regifted or abandoned.

There's nothing incredibly wrong with taking multiple eggs fron the departure threads right? If they go to a good home its okay to swipe?

There's nothing incredibly wrong with taking multiple eggs fron the departure threads right? If they go to a good home its okay to swipe?

I think it's not very fair only when they are rare eggs.

Let's say, if someone gifts 3 gold eggs and the same person takes them all. It would be better if more people, maybe with few golds, are given a chance to get them.

If they are "normal" eggs (or hatchlings) I don't find anything wrong in taking multiple, if they are going to a nice home.

Edited by Iside

I think it is common courtesy to not trade/kill/abandon any gifts. If the gifter agrees that you can freeze/zombify, then that's okay by me. Re-gifting is also fine if the gifter agrees (once someone asked me to breed an egg and they gave it away to a friend without telling me, then asked me for a sibling for themselves. I gave the sibling because the dragons bred well and nobody else was requesting that pair, but I still felt a little on the fence about the whole thing). But I personally wouldn't take something from a departure or breeding thread if all I wanted to do with that dragon was to trade/kill/abandon/freeze/zombify it.

But there's no way to control what happens after the claim link is used, so if the gifter really cares about what happens to the gift, maybe asking for a PM to request the gift or posting the link with a trade requesting a dummy would be better than posting the claim link straight up.

Edited by daestarr