Narath

Conflict in the Stars

"Like you were never young and did stupid things," Teela retorted teasingly. She tried to keep her voice low though - she hadn't seen any new guards coming in, but it never hurt to be silent.

"I entered through the South doors. Where are you?" she whispered into the radio. It didn't escape her notice that some of the growling crates were getting quite large and she sincerely hoped that Skipper hadn't gotten himself in serious trouble. Even with the two of them, it would take Keith and her some ten minutes to search the place.

((Did you ever play Jedi Academy 3? The warehouse with the mutated Rancor? That's where I drew my inspiration for this place from. Not saying that we need to be attacked by a Rancor, but just to give an indication of the creepiness factor of unmarked animal crates xd.png.))

"I would never." Keith replied indignantly. "I was the best kid in the neighborhood.

"Anyways, I entered from the East entrance. Remind me again why people use cardinal directions in space?"

That little thing always bothered him. People had to stop thinking of orientation that way in space. In a place with no gravity, there is no up or down. Thinking laterally like that could get you killed in a dogfight.

((Sadly, no. I've played some KOTOR and the online game though.))

"Well firstly," Teela replied as if they were making easy banter rather than running around trying to find Skipper, "we're not in space - we're on a planet. And second, you could constantly refer to your position relative to the star, but it would take you forever just to calculate where you're currently at. So I assume using standard directions, even if inaccurate, saves a lot of time."

She started making her way east, but stopped when she heard a young child's voice making cooing noises.

"I think I've got him," she radioed to Keith.

Indeed, hidden behind a few crates - including a small opened one - she found Skipper holding a fluffy ball of fur.

"Look what I found," said the boy as he enthusiastically thrust the animal at her. Teela was about to tell him to put the thing back, when she heard the telltale swoosh of doors opening. Looked like the guards had finally caught on to them! Forgetting all about the ball of fur, Teela grabbed Skipper's wrist and started running towards the East door.

"Coming your way!" she radioed.

(I thought we were on a space station *facepalm*)

"What's the problem now?" Keith asked exasperatedly, hearing the urgency in Teela's voice. "He's gotten us in trouble hasen't he?"

Before Teela could answer, Keith ran to the East bay doors and began to tinker away st it's control panel. If they were in trouble, they'd need to delay the security. Hopefully his assumptions were off though and they didn't need it.

By now, Teela clearly heard voices near the South doors. Picking up the speed while remaining silent, she and Skipper made their way over to the East doors at a small run.

"Trouble, what trouble?" Teela replied in person as she and Skipper caught up with Keith. "We might want to leave post-haste though."

Meanwhile, Skipper had seen an opening to sneak his newfound 'pet' on board and had pocketed the small critter.

"I'll take that as a yes." Keith replied, activating the panel. "Quickly, back to the ship. The bay doors will hold back these guys, but we'll probably be chased by others as we make our way back to the ship."

Leaving the large blast doors to close behind them, Keith ran back to the ship, making sure that Skip was in his sight the entire way. When they got out of this, they were going to have a serious talk.

((The furry thing is a tribble isn't it? That wouldn't end well.))

-------------------------------

"General Laskey, we are arriving at our hyperspace exit point thirty kilometers from the system's rim."

Thomas looked up from his book to see Deja glimmering on a pedestal next to his chair.

"Thank you Deja." He said as he placed a bookmark in his page before closing the book. "Alert the other Captains. I want everyone ready to greet the station's current defence fleet."

"Yes sir." She replied before shimmering away.

"Did I ever mention how grateful I am that you always plan ahead?" Teela said to Keith. Her tone was still teasing, but she *was* sincere - Teela rarely planned beyond her next scheme and without Keith, the crew of the Slip would be bankrupt by now. That was one of many reasons why he made such a good first mate.

The trio made their way down the outlying corridors - Teela didn't stop to check if Keith's trick with the doors had worked, but the lack of pursuers was a good sign. It didn't take long before her Hrolgairin ears picked up the sound of voices ahead. They didn't sound like more guards though - perhaps they were circling back to the public part of the station? If that was the case, they could probably blend in and make their way back to the Slip.

((Tribble or Gremlin. Though for a twist it could be the newborn, blind puppy stage of some ferocious predator. I don't really have anything planned besides bringing it on board to set up *some* sort of trouble later.))

((I vote for newborn blind puppy stage idea. That way they can at least train it eventually or something (could make a good pet for skip). With gremlins you can't really do that and tribbles... Well I just don't like the idea of walking down the hall to have a vent burst out and have a million tribbles smother me in fluff.))

"Not very often, but that just makes your praise warm my heart that much more." Keith replied, his face splitting into a wide grin. "Anyways, you need someone to look out for you and it might as well be me."

As they got back to the ship bay, the amount of people walking around increased substantially. Keith quickly slowed his speed to a brisk walking pace, gently taking hold of Teela's arm and firmly gripping Skip's shoulder to make sure they went at the same pace. Now that they were in a crowded area it would be best to blend in, and he was not going to lose track of anyone. Espesially not Skip.

Teela's eyebrows moved right up to her hairline when Keith said she needed someone to look after her, but before she could start an argument, they found themselves back amongst people. Good, they could make their way back to the Slip, lay low for a while and then continue their business. She had already put in a request to meet with the Pirate King (whomever he might be) and was eager to see of it had been granted.

((In CitS 1.0 Teela was tracking an old captain's log that held the location of a forgotten waterplanet. The log is currently in posession of the King. It was a mini plot designed by me and XiaoChibi to introduce Levi to Teela and Keith. I don't know if XiaoChibi is still active though. Have you heard from her?))

((I've not heard anything so far from her.

I'm thinking that if no one jumps back in, I may put this on another site with more active people and continue from there. If I do this, would you be interested to stay in the RP on the new site? Or maybe make what's going on here a 1x1?

As they finally arrived at their ship, Keith released his hold on Teela, but kept his grip on Skip nice and firm.

"You go on ahead and get the crew to warm up the engines, and I'll make sure Skip here makes it to his room." Keith said, making his way up the boarding ramp. "And after we launch, I think we'll need to have a little chat with him."

Teela took one look from Keith to Skip and grinned. "Don't be too hard on him - he was just being a child." Of course, since Teela's take on parenting was to make sure Skip ate a varied diet and maybe occasionally - if he got too dirty - tell him to take a bath, she quickly considered Keith to be 'too harsh'.

Moving to the cockpit, she signalled the engineer to run a *quiet* enging prep - after all they didn't want to *look* like the Slip was preparing for a possible emergency departure. She also checked the messages and was happy to see that her request to meet the King had been granted. Now all they had to do was still be planetside when the time for her audience came around - here's hoping no one had traced the earlier ruckus back to the Slip.

((I'll pm XiaoChibi to see if she is interested in posting, but we can timeskip the meeting with the Pirate King if need be.

I'm not up for joining another forum. I'm a bit of a scatterbrain and my internet time is extremely limited, and the only reason I keep up (kindaish) with my DC roleplays is because they're all neatly in one place. That's also the reason why I stick to the 'other' section and never venture into freeform or dc rp. I'm fine continuing this as a 1x1. If other people want to join they can always do so later, but then we wouldn't have to put the RP on hold.))

Keith just nodded to Teela in reply as him and Skip made their way to Skip's room in silence. When they arrived, Keith entered Sith the young boy and closed the door behind them.

"Skipper..." He began in an exasperated tone, not sure exactly how to start.

Even though they had Skip around for a while, and Keith treated him like a son, the pirate was still unsure with how to handle the little troublemaker.

"What were you thinking Skip? You know better than to wander off. We just talked about not leaving the ship in the last port! Don't you realize what could have happened to you?"

Keith's voice was a mixture of anger and disappointment. During Skip's time on the ship, Keith had not only started treating him as a son, but also cared for him like one. If something happened to Skip, Keith would never forgive himself for letting it happen.

((Three cheers for scatterbrained people!))

(Really sorry I was unable to make a post for so long, my computer was in it's death throes, and bluescreened a while ago. Also sorry if this is a short post, I'm writing from a phone, which will be the new norm until I can get a new computer.)

"We have not encountered many of your ships before, and would wish to take scans if your vessel for study." He switched off the microphone, then gave the instructions to his AI, "Abathur, lower the shields and activate primary scanner arrays, do not use anything more powerful, if we accidentally kill them, we might be pulled into a war we may be unable to win." The AI activated the scanners, a web of Osilus radiation passed through the Penumbral ship, returning to several hidden receiver dishes. Cutaeay scans and data popped up on various holographic displays as the ship processed the information. Reactivating his microphone the admiral said, "Your ship has been scanned, and the data is now stored aboard this vessel. We shall depart, I'm glad this could be a peaceful meeting." A sharp crack, followed by a boom rumbled through the ship, as the particle accelerators in the main reactor fired, generating a miniature black hole which, for a trillionth of a second, increased the density of the ship to enough that relative time slowed, allowing the vessel to move a few weeks flight in nanoseconds. Slowing down from relativity warp, the ship entered the space around the orbit of Quothos, docking at a station to relay the data about the Penumbral craft without fear of it being intercepted.

(EDIT: When I said short post I meant The Great Text Monolith of All Time and Space)

Edited by SUP3RSPAWN3R

((Your post seems very rushed because of how much you made happen with that one post. Could you perhaps break it down and give Takhesis time to reply before doing a bunch of stuff with his ship))

"I didn't wander off!" Skip replied defensively. "I put the hydrospanner on a crate but then the crate was part of the cargo and then I climbed atop it to retrieve the spanner but then the crates started to move and I couldn't get off but then it slowed down so I jumped off and then I didn't know where I was BUT I remembered what you and Teela told me about hiding so I found a quiet place to figure out how to get back but then you found me already." His body was trembling with all the righteous indignation of a six year old who felt that the universe had conspired to make him look bad.

((I heard from XiaoChibi - she won't be continuing CitS. So we'll just do a short timeskip when Teela goes off to her audience. That also means the position of King is free again.))

"I told you to stay away from the crates!" Keith countered. "You could have gotten injured by all the moving equipment! I don't care about some little hydrospanner, those can be replaced. You can't!

"Look, Skipper, I know I'm sounding a bit harsh, but that's just because I don't want to see you hurt. These rules are in place for your safety."

((I'll take her off then.))

[Well at least my character can post again lol ]

Kosh'tor inclined his head in acceptance to the request for a ship scan.

Considering the main control was a mental link between ship and pilot, it did make it rather difficult for another race to duplicate any of the systems with any precision.

That and his ship was a small vessel so didn't contain that much sensitive equipment.

The scan tingled his flesh, as it crept over and through the ships hull.

That feeling soon subsided, as the scan completed its run.

"Glad to be of service, perhaps we will meet again." Kosh'tor replied as the Quothian commander and ship prepared to leave.

So what information did they get from us? He made another mental query - it was likely that the external sensors on the ship could identify the style of sweep that had just been performed.

The reply swiftly came back, in the form of a check list.

Passive radiation scan identified.

Possible information gained as follows;

Vessel size and classification: Medium/large freighter (the open solar panels would make the ship appear to be approximately one size bigger than in normal flight.)

Crew complement: One possibly two depending on scan registration protocols.

Hull basis/composition: Organic with underlying synthetic circuit systems.

Basic shield and weaponry read outs - the lack of missiles, the presence of a beam generator/accelerator.

Engine status: Currently using Solar panels to recharge power cell system.

System status: Weapons and shields inactive, engines in holding pattern. Internal systems running at optimal - communications open.

[Considering the primary scanners were 'low powered' to reduce the chances of any damage to the vessel - its unlikely they'd get the full capability of the ship. Though they would have some idea from what they got....]

Skipper crossed his arms and pouted in response to Keith. He did recognize that the First Mate was right, but - dammit! - he was six and it would be a cold day in Tartaros before he admitted to being wrong.

Before Keith could press the issue, Teela's voice sounded over his handheld radio. "My audience with the king had been granted and it's pretty much *now*. Short notice and terribly rude, but he's the king so I suppose he get away with that kind of behaviour. Are you good to run the ship until I return?"

"Yes, I can handle the ship Teela." Keith answered casting a disapproving look at the stubborn boy in front of him. "It isn't much harder than being in charge of the cargo after all."

Keith exited Skips room, turning to face the boy before the door could shut.

"We aren't finished with this talk Skipper, so until me and Teela can decide on a suitable punishment, you are grounded."

With that said, Keith shut the door and locked it with it's control panel before heading to the bridge.

A few hours later....

Teela returned from her audience, looking more than a little smug. She had the captain's journal in hand and hadn't needed to trade more for it than she wanted - just a few old tomes that she was already done with.

Boarding the Slip, she went to seek out Keith.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

No trouble so far. They were lucky that security was unable to track them down yet. Thanks to Skip's little adventure though, they still had to be careful. Hopefully Teela would return soon from her meeting with the pirate king. Keith grumbled bitterly to himself as he supervised the bridge, making sure everything was done absolutely perfectly. Teela was always running off and leaving him in charge, often to just go galavanting off with some guy. And this time, it was the pirate king himself. Why was she always.running off somewhere, always shirking off her duties? She even forgot her promise - again - about supervising the unloading of their cargo earlier. Keith didn't even think she got the jab at her for it when he said 'It isn't much harder than being in charge of the cargo after all.'

Still grinning, Teela showed Keith her new prize. "Tadaa! Captain Gormagannon's journal! It should show us the way to Pelagon, where we stand to find endless ocean, sunken ruins and more water than we could ever want. Maybe we could start a refinery and get into the water business." While selling water required a lot of travelling to small outlying planets where they lacked that life-giving resource, but it could be very lucrative.

Beaming at Keith, she noticed that he seemed rather sullen. Was he *that* upset with Skipper? She reflected on the day for a moment. Surely he wasn't upset about the cargo? Admittedly, she had originally forgotten in her fight with their neighbour, but she *did* remember in the (very) end.

"Are you upset about the cargo? Look, I'm sorry, but - that guy! he cut in front of us and! ugh!" She was quiet for a moment, then continued: "I did remember at the last... And I'll take the next one."

"'I'll take the next one.'" Keith repeated bitterly. "Like I haven't heard that one before. You always say that, but every time we make port you go off galavanting with some guy instead. Speaking of running off with some guy, how was your time with the infamous pirate king? Enjoyable I trust?"

"Galavanting?!" Now it was Teela's turn to get worked up. "Since when is yelling at your neighbours considered galavanting?? But yes, my time with the Pirate King was enjoyable and fruitful, though not in the way *you* obviously mean!"

Teela was about to ask him what business of his it was anyway, but she held her tongue - she knew exactly why Keith cared, even if she wasn't ready to have that discussion yet.

((OMG I just realized something! We're like Janeway in one of her manic periods and Chakotay in one of his disgruntled episodes! LOL.))

((Holy crap, you're right! This is outlaw Voyager!))

"Yes, galavanting, because you are *always* running off somewhere!" Keith countered. "Yes, sometimes it's off to yell at some son of a Gundark that's pissed you off, which sometimes results in me pulling you out of a firefight, but you always forget about duties you've told me you'd do! You never keep your word!"

She was just irresponsible! Skip probably got it from her in the first place.