Amazon_warrior

CB Prizes: A User Guide

So for those of us that are prize winners this year, is it possible to be re-drawn again once TJ sends out the new names of people selected for a prize?

So for those of us that are prize winners this year, is it possible to be re-drawn again once TJ sends out the new names of people selected for a prize?

You mean, is it possible to win the same raffle twice? I don't believe so.

No. redraws are only for those who did not accept or respond and non winning users are selected for those. Sill holding my hopes out for those redraws biggrin.gif

No, the redraw pool has already been drawn; since you were drawn as a winner, I assume your name cannot also be in the redraw pool.

I'm actually interested to know if when TJ draws the tickets, if he ensures the same player is not drawn twice. Since most of us have multiple tickets, theoretically you could be drawn more than once with different tickets. I'd hope that he would manually check that there are no double ups.

No, the redraw pool has already been drawn; since you were drawn as a winner, I assume your name cannot also be in the redraw pool.

I'm actually interested to know if when TJ draws the tickets, if he ensures the same player is not drawn twice. Since most of us have multiple tickets, theoretically you could be drawn more than once with different tickets. I'd hope that he would manually check that there are no double ups.

My guess is, assuming we "won" ticket numbers every time we completed the task, that once a winning number is drawn, an automated system could be used to remove any other tickets associated with that scroll. So, if it were me designing the system it would go as follows:

Pick ticket number -> look for associated scroll number -> check for other ticket numbers linked to that scroll -> delete those extra tickets -> pick new ticket number...

(Ofc., there's certainly other ways to achieve the same effect. You could also just draw a ticket and check to see if the associated scroll number has already been drawn; if it has, discard that ticket and draw another.)

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Um, a little question

I think I won a Bronze Shimmer; it asked me to enter a code and now it says "Thank you, your prize choices have been saved". Do I have to do anything else, or just wait? Also, do I need to always keep an egg slot open? I'm a bit paranoid since I really don't want to do something wrong ^^"

Um, a little question

I think I won a Bronze Shimmer; it asked me to enter a code and now it says "Thank you, your prize choices have been saved". Do I have to do anything else, or just wait? Also, do I need to always keep an egg slot open? I'm a bit paranoid since I really don't want to do something wrong ^^"

You should be all set, and yes you need to keep an egg slot open or else you'll have to wait even longer to get your egg. Congrats btw! happy.gif

:x I'm in your shoes, too. I've never really participated in the forums (as my post count shows) xd.png but now I feel kinda obligated;;; hnnggg.

I'm not alone! xd.png Thank you guys! I'm happy for not being the only one in this place who doesn't know what to do xd.png Thank you for your words and advices biggrin.gif

You should be all set, and yes you need to keep an egg slot open or else you'll have to wait even longer to get your egg. Congrats btw! happy.gif

Thank you very much ^^

Here's a question for winners from past years (or anybody, really!): how many 2nd gen shimmers would you expect to breed per year, assuming you were breeding to whatever mates your trade partners wanted? I mean obviously if you breed to all holiday dragons the answer may be, I don't know, 20 per year, whereas if you breed to all Red-finned Tidals it may be 0 or 1 per year. But just breeding to whatever people ask for, probably mostly commons... what would you get? Would 6 or 7 per year be a reasonable estimate?

Here's a question for winners from past years (or anybody, really!): how many 2nd gen shimmers would you expect to breed per year, assuming you were breeding to whatever mates your trade partners wanted? I mean obviously if you breed to all holiday dragons the answer may be, I don't know, 20 per year, whereas if you breed to all Red-finned Tidals it may be 0 or 1 per year. But just breeding to whatever people ask for, probably mostly commons... what would you get? Would 6 or 7 per year be a reasonable estimate?

I'm a new winner too, but figured I'd toss in my general impressions from CB's whose offspring I've seen. happy.gif Some super common mates can take 6 months or more, whereas rarer and holiday mates can breed true within a few weeks. That's part of why coppers and GW's are popular mates. They're rare enough that they're easy to get shimmers out of. Trio's have also worked very well for me and while I haven't tried metals yet, I imagine they will also make easy mates. Uncommon mates like blacks and magi generally take a month or two (going by my 3G's although CB's could be different). You also have to factor in refusals and no interests but I'd guess you could probably go as high as 10-15 if you stuck to easier mates or as low as 1-5 if you're doing a lot of tough pairings.

Do note that no one can force you to pick any mate. I personally will not do blocker mates, unless someone offers me a huge bribe, as I don't want to spend six months on one pairing, and there's no reason you can't set similar restrictions or charge different rates for tougher pairings if you want to produce a decent number of shinies per year.

If you have a mate you like, you can even just breed that and you'll probably still be able to trade off the 2g's. smile.gif

Also, what personal lines is everyone planning? I have a few different projects with trio's in mind (because I love them) and am expecting the hardest dragon in those to be 2G trio shimmerkins, as shimmers seem to generally breed true with trios. I'm also going to attempt lineages with horse and undines, which are going to suck, but if I do a few breedings here and there when I have nothing else I need, maybe I'll get it to work eventually. smile.gif I'm also thinking I'll do a checker with rosebuds if it genders male and arrives in time for valentine's. I may attempt something with despi's as well. Not sure which Christmas mate I'll use yet next year. Oh, and I may do a breeding with my frill if it genders right, as I do like green and bronze together. Sorry for the babbling. It's late.

Here's a question for winners from past years (or anybody, really!): how many 2nd gen shimmers would you expect to breed per year, assuming you were breeding to whatever mates your trade partners wanted?  I mean obviously if you breed to all holiday dragons the answer may be, I don't know, 20 per year, whereas if you breed to all Red-finned Tidals it may be 0 or 1 per year.  But just breeding to whatever people ask for, probably mostly commons... what would you get?  Would 6 or 7 per year be a reasonable estimate?

Luckiest Catch has averaged about 15 shinies over the two years I've owned her. I think I've been fortunate that pretty much none of my listers requested ultra-commons. Most of my requests have been for (un-)commons or rares, and the only time she's been bred to a Holiday out of season was for myself. Mind you, I mix up her mates pretty much every time I breed her, which I think helps, and if a particular mate produces two 'kins then I'll try a different mate of the same breed next time.

I think it would be wise to under- rather than overestimate the number of shinies your Prize might breed, though, at least until you've got it and started to get a feel for how it breeds. smile.gif

@Ponie: I think your lineage plans sound nice! And don't panic about Horse or Undine lines; I know there's silver Shimmer x Horse lines out there already, and I know someone who managed to get their rather stubborn Prize to produce a shiny with an Undine relatively quickly. wink.gif (Which gives me some hope, since I have a request for a 2G from Undine too... tongue.gif)

Edited by Amazon_warrior

One other question, & since I'm so inquisitive about these Tins I'm sure this isn't the last happy.gif

So far which gender has had a better shinny breed rate, males or females?

One other question, & since I'm so inquisitive about these Tins I'm sure this isn't the last happy.gif

So far which gender has had a better shinny breed rate, males or females?

Ummm.... I honestly don't know. I don't think the gender makes any difference, though. More important is the breed of the mate.

Thank you to everybody who's contributed to this thread. I'm going to need it, since I'm new to the forums, to breeding with a purpose and to trading xd.png LOL

I won a Bronze Tinsel. and I'm 99% sure I did everything right *bites nails* so it's just a waiting game now. Which I've of course used to read through all this splendid advice! I know the Bronze Tinsel isn't exactly the most fabulous win, but it's huge for me. I've never won anything in a raffle before smile.gif And I do like the way the Tinsels look biggrin.gif So I'm over the moon happy biggrin.gif

I was wondering about that list @shortaxel is setting up in a google doc. What kind of info would that require, and is it being set up right now? I tried PM'ing but I'm not sure if it got lost somehow, or I worded it wrongly.

I won my bronze shimmer last year. Since then, I've only received four 2Gs. All came from a Nebbie adult. I really wanted a 2G from a Fever, but that didn't work out. Also didn't get one from a Nhiostrife.

This year, I plan on each week, breeding with something different. I think the ratio of fails will feel better with different things rather than the same darned dragon.

Well, Fever and Nhio were probably rather unfortunate ideas to try less than a year after their release, at least if you expected a shiny from them.

Yeah, if you want your prize babbies to make shinies, new commons are nnnnot your best bet. Even stuff that's difficult to come by in the cave can still breed like ultra-commons if they're new: see Pyralspites, there is no use in trying for metals from them even though two of the colors are cave rares.

God, I'm so stupid and clicked once too many when hunting eggs in the Vulcano and have locked myself *headdesks repeatedly* I hope with all my heart and pray to the powers that be, that TJ09 doesn't pick tonight to send out the prize eggs. Worst thing, I have to go to bed now, so I can't even sit around and wait for the 5 hours to be over.

I think I'll cry (a lot) if this will prevent the prize egg from being transferred to my scroll. unsure.gif Does anybody know when the eggs will be distrubuted? I'm hoping for after the 2 weeks time we have to respond to the mail, but now I'm getting all worried it might be sooner

Note to self: Do not hunt for CB's when waiting for a Raffle Prize sad.gif

God, I'm so stupid and clicked once too many when hunting eggs in the Vulcano and have locked myself *headdesks repeatedly* I hope with all my heart and pray to the powers that be, that TJ09 doesn't pick tonight to send out the prize eggs. Worst thing, I have to go to bed now, so I can't even sit around and wait for the 5 hours to be over.

I think I'll cry (a lot) if this will prevent the prize egg from being transferred to my scroll.  unsure.gif Does anybody know when the eggs will be distrubuted? I'm hoping for after the 2 weeks time we have to respond to the mail, but now I'm getting all worried it might be sooner

Note to self: Do not hunt for CB's when waiting for a Raffle Prize  sad.gif

I think notifications went out on the eighteenth? So you should be OK until the very beginning of February. And if you accepted your prize but are scroll-locked at the hand-out I think you get another chance when the backups are handed out - TJ doesn't reroll for that.

Edit: oops, not the thread to be discussing this in :/ Sorry mods, don't suppose there's a way to delete this...?

Edited by ObsessedWithCats

I won my bronze shimmer last year. Since then, I've only received four 2Gs. All came from a Nebbie adult. I really wanted a 2G from a Fever, but that didn't work out. Also didn't get one from a Nhiostrife.

This year, I plan on each week, breeding with something different. I think the ratio of fails will feel better with different things rather than the same darned dragon.

Oh yeah, week after week of the same breed of fail can be soul destroying. sad.gif I had that with Coastal Waverunners (and this was despite me often breeding my ~90-odd other CWs to the AP, too.)

@TCA: D: I love the Pyralspites, but I have two people now who've requested them as mates for Luckiest Catch and I'm honestly dreading it! (The fact that she rudely refused the first Pyrope I tried her with didn't help much, either - she's SUCH a brat at times!)

@DPucey: Don't panic, I very much doubt that the Prizes will be handed out before the two-week acceptance period mentioned in your email is up. And I believe that even if you miss the first Prize-giving, your Prize can be sent to you when the re-draw Prizes are handed out. But to save worry, *do* make sure you keep your scroll free next weekend! wink.gif

I'll throw in my two cents:

Blockers or more recently released commons will take you some time due to ratios. For example I've tried getting a shiny from Myst x Falconiform and I am getting nothing but shiny fails. Apparently Flaconiform not only dominates rares, its dominating many of its more common mates as well. When asked for a specific mate, don't be afraid to ask around and get opinions of how well that dragon is breeding not only its own breed but the breed of any mate its had. If the breed requested as a mate from you is dominating most of its bred mates, then offer an alternative.

All in all patience is key. Be smart about your breedings and the requests you take and as someone said, no one can force you to breed your prize with a mate you don't like. I personally do not like brimstones at all and I will not breed Myst to that dragon. So if there is a particular breed you do not want to breed your dragon to don't hesitate to make that clear.

Just because someone is requesting an egg from you and trading you upfront does not mean they have the right to boss you around on what to breed or not. Be careful as well, some might not be rude about how they try to boss you around. Some might be polite or try to bribe you extra into breeding your prize with a mate you don't agree with. Stand firm in your decisions or else you might stress yourself out.

Ok *phew* thank you so much for replying so fast! smile.gif I don't think I'd been able to sleep without at least a little assurance smile.gifwub.gif

But just in case, I'm going to abandon at least one of the eggs tomorrow morning. I'm so afraid of botching this up, now that I've actually made a few plans for breeding Pucey (that will be the name and code of my Bronze Tinsel). Me, who's never ever made actual breeding plans before xd.png

I have to say, the Colour combination charts made by @shadesofchaos are absolutely marvelous in that regard. It's difficult to decide how the lineage might look, just from looking at the dragons on the scroll. With the charts - thank you, shadesofchaos, for the hard work!!! - it's much much easier to decide, together with the advice on which dragon breeds are better for getting prize dragon offspring.

I think I'll cry (a lot) if this will prevent the prize egg from being transferred to my scroll.  unsure.gif Does anybody know when the eggs will be distrubuted? I'm hoping for after the 2 weeks time we have to respond to the mail, but now I'm getting all worried it might be sooner

Note to self: Do not hunt for CB's when waiting for a Raffle Prize  sad.gif

It seems TJ sent them out pretty much exactly the day after the time limit went out. so you should have a few days yet. but don't lock yourself on that anecdotal evidence.

---

oh hey, and about ratios: you can always test the desired breed with lots of higher gens!

Edited by whitebaron