Amazon_warrior

CB Prizes: A User Guide

I have a Silver I was gifted, which I kept breeding into a line mostly to AP gift, but I've tried to trade its offspring from time to time only to discover they are worthless. It has three main problems;

1. It is not a second gen, therefore, it doesn't matter if you have to pray to a pagan god during a harvest moon to manage to get an egg, anything over second gen is worthless.

2. It is a three breed spiral, which even when I've kept the color pattern, it is considered untidy and ugly and whatever.

3. The mates are three halloween breeds, which adds to "can't breed, don't want it".

I actually like breeding golds to holidays. Make a spiral/stair line for example, rotating through all of the different holiday breeds (or perhaps having just a Christmas line, a Valentine line, and a Halloween line). That way even a new player can be given a pretty gold and would be able to keep the linage going nicely without needing to worry about not having any CBs of older holidays from before they played the game.

Thank you Commander_Wymsy, Fiona, 42 (and anyone else I missed) for adding your thoughts. And thank you Sheriziya and others who've PM'ed me for the previous raffle links. smile.gif <3 I'll go add those now. Honestly, I feel that as long as people take away the anti-harassment message and the list message then my work here is done. CB Prize ownership is all about managing expectations - your own and others'.

Though, I started typing yesterday and accidentally spawned the Wall Of Text Times Two, then have been afk all day until now. Dunno if I should edit it and make it more succinct... D:

Nice guide, Amazon. Funny thing is, you never actually won the raffle. xd.png

Ta! And tell me about it! laugh.gif But since I already have a track record of making a public spectacle of myself, I figured if anyone was going to do something like this it might as well be me. rolleyes.gif

Great thread! I have a few things to add smile.gif

If it's all a bit too overwhelming for you at first, ask someone you really trust to help you pick the right trades. Ultimately the decision is 100% up to you, but the person can act as a sort of 'firewall'.

I was the firewall for a friend of mine who didn't really know much about trading values and who to trust with IOUs and who to refuse a trade to. I helped her out by having the trade offers be sent to me; I picked out the 'bad' ones and sent the good ones on to her, so she could decide if it was something she wanted or not. She of course kept me updated if there was anything in particular she wanted so I knew what to look for. Eventually she learned how to deal with it all herself and didn't need me anymore, but it definitely helped her get through the first two/three months.

If you decide to ask someone to help out, be VERY sure you can trust them though, and that they're not trying to get something out of you. I was continually aware of how badly I could screw things up for her, and that can be a pretty heavy burden to bear. It would have been very easy to scam people out of their rares and give her an awful reputation here while lining my own pockets. I would be lying if I said I didn't get anything nice out of the deal (she has gifted me some rares she traded for, and one of the 2nd gen shimmers) but getting nice stuff was never the point, helping out my friend was. When selecting a 'firewall', be very, very sure they're doing it just to help you.

Honestly, if I win, I'll be using this advice, at least by having a few people whom I can ask about trades. Thanks!

Honestly, it seems if you win you need a lot of spine and patience to deal with people..

@Amazon- thanks for writing this. It really kind of opened my eyes to what you CB owners go through.

Thank you Commander_Wymsy, Fiona, 42 (and anyone else I missed) for adding your thoughts. And thank you Sheriziya and others who've PM'ed me for the previous raffle links. smile.gif <3 I'll go add those now. Honestly, I feel that as long as people take away the anti-harassment message and the list message then my work here is done. CB Prize ownership is all about managing expectations - your own and others'.

Though, I started typing yesterday and accidentally spawned the Wall Of Text Times Two, then have been afk all day until now. Dunno if I should edit it and make it more succinct... D:

Ta! And tell me about it! laugh.gif But since I already have a track record of making a public spectacle of myself, I figured if anyone was going to do something like this it might as well be me. rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't change the text at the moment, besides the suggestions made in the thread. Your set up seems great to me, so why change it?

And you're welcome smile.gif Glad I could help a little bit smile.gif

It's really freaky to see that in the original prize thread that I was the first one to be public.... weirder still, I happened to be online the exact moment they were handed out. So then I was the first one to show a prize to #dc. Oh God, all of the views my scroll got just as I said I won.... not even viewbombers, it was purely people who were curious.

I suppose one thing you could do Amazon is make an update to either the second or first post to includes links to posts like mine with contain more valuable information. And for onlookers of this thread, if I ever happen to be around at the moment I'll answer whatever questions I see that are unanswered. I know there's a lot of misconceptions about raffle and prize (especially HM) stuff in general so I'm more than happy to clear them up. If you do provide a link to mine, if I think of anything else I'll just add it to that post.

Edited by Commander Wymsy

So happy you stepped up to volunteer! I think people often have the impression, especially when they get a big thing like a prize that they have the responsibility to go it alone and be THE BEST EVER AT EVERYTHING. Which doesn't always end well. That or they may not know who to ask or what to ask, really. I am sure this will help some of this years winners start on better footing.

Just to say well done for getting this guide together quickly, what have read so far is really well informed. Invaluable start to any new prize winner and also just a guidance on IOUs and trading in general to keep in mind.

It's really freaky to see that in the original prize thread that I was the first one to be public.... weirder still, I happened to be online the exact moment they were handed out. So then I was the first one to show a prize to #dc. Oh God, all of the views my scroll got just as I said I won.... not even viewbombers, it was purely people who were curious.

I suppose one thing you could do Amazon is make an update to either the second or first post to includes links to posts like mine with contain more valuable information. And for onlookers of this thread, if I ever happen to be around at the moment I'll answer whatever questions I see that are unanswered. I know there's a lot of misconceptions about raffle and prize (especially HM) stuff in general so I'm more than happy to clear them up. If you do provide a link to mine, if I think of anything else I'll just add it to that post.

I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be one of the very first prize winners. Totally new territory is totally terrifying! xd.png And definitely agree about the curiosity. I really do want to stress that I *don't* hate other players for being curious - it's entirely natural and to be expected. It's just that there are an awful lot of you! wink.gif

Also, I just updated the second post with links to your post and some of the other really good advice posts others have made. smile.gif

@Vhale - I hope so. Seems silly for each new generation of raffle winners to have to re-invent the wheel each time...

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be one of the very first prize winners.

It was like "Wow, I actually won!" and then it was like ".... I like how this ended up in the Spam folder."

Amazingly enough, I didn't actually get that many PMs regarding it. But that's most likely because at the time Teleport wasn't implemented yet and nobody was 100% sure on how exactly these dragons were going to work.

And thanks for adding the posts. I'm brainstorming for what I can add to mine. When I do add to it, I'll also make a reply stating that I've updated my post with more information.

It was like "Wow, I actually won!" and then it was like ".... I like how this ended up in the Spam folder."

Amazingly enough, I didn't actually get that many PMs regarding it. But that's most likely because at the time Teleport wasn't implemented yet and nobody was 100% sure on how exactly these dragons were going to work.

And thanks for adding the posts. I'm brainstorming for what I can add to mine. When I do add to it, I'll also make a reply stating that I've updated my post with more information.

Rotflol! xd.png

Yeah, I remember that no one even knew if they'd be breedable or not. And also quite a few Tinsel babies going LiT because there was no teleport.

Brilliant, thanks! smile.gif

This is a fabulous source of information for people!

This may not have been mentioned because already so well known, but I (EDIT: wrongly!!! NO SCROLL PROTECTION!) believe that in the first year it was said that the protection of the growing Prize dragons against Sickness and death was extended to the entire scroll of growing dragons belonging to the winners during this period, and I would assume that this would continue to be the case?

It's possible that some newer/not-very-forum-y people might have concerns about other dragons on their scrolls which might not occur to them until after they unexpectedly win and discover their scrolls to have been getting 98 billion views, so I just thought I'd mention, in case anyone winds up Fogging everything else on their scrolls and being scared to unFog them, lol. (Edit: lol, now I/we know, it's the other way around!)

People might not absorb much of whatever information might be supplied with the form they fill out (no idea what might be on there, lol) in the 'SQUEEEEE!' of discovering that they'd won or have much room left in their heads for such considerations until that moment, so this reference manual that people can read in advance is invaluable!

Edit: It would be therefore enormously helpful if those who have been through this could give advice on what winners can/should do to protect the other growing dragons on their scrolls; since I'd imagine that high Viewing would continue to be likely for some time, how others dealt with this over the long-term would undoubtedly be useful to prospective winners.

Lol, think I've beaten my previous record for making a hash of something, but too tired to to redo this right now - the point is to have prospective winners prepared for a situation that could otherwise kill the rest of their dragons.

Edited by Syphoneira

This may not have been mentioned because already so well known, but I believe that in the first year it was said that the protection of the growing Prize dragons against Sickness and death was extended to the entire scroll of growing dragons belonging to the winners during this period, and I would assume that this would continue to be the case?

It has only ever been that the egg you received as a prize was protected from sickness, and nothing else.

Edited by Commander Wymsy

It is has only ever been that the egg you received as a prize was protected from sickness, and nothing else.

...and now I wish I'd reserved a 3rd post for debunking myths. Serves me right for doing stuff at silly o'clock in the morning. *facepalm* Not calling you out, Syphoneira, but I swear this forum delights in proliferating unsubstantiated rumour.

When I caught Luckiest Catch, I didn't know if the protection was scroll-based or egg-based, and a PM to TJ about it revealed.... nothing. So I just fogged everything on my scroll if I couldn't be there to babysit it and was really careful. IIRC, Luckiest Catch grew up without ever being sick (I didn't influence or incubate, either - she's totally governed by chance and omigosh doesn't she make sure I know it come breeding time! rolleyes.gif)

I think the worst part about prize dragons is the harassment. Since I've never had one, I can't say how bad it is, but judging by some signatures, and what some have said, I believe it can be pretty bad. I've heard people say that many of the tinsel owners have left the game, some say it was because it became too easy, and others because they couldn't cope with harassment (even in forum, as some people have openly called them greedy for trading their dragon's offspring). Others, I've heard, didn't even reveal who they were and their dragons have never bred, so nobody but TJ knows who they are (at least they don't appear in Dragcave Wiki).

I don't know, seems like a gift and a curse at the same time. People should be more thoughtful about prize winners. I never even sent a PM, no matter how badly I wanted a second gen, because I believed most would have their PM box clogged with petitions. That means to this day I have never even seen a second gen prize dragon, but I think I've done the correct thing. A single user doesn't make a differente, but that single user can be one PM too much, for something that should make people happy, not make them wish to quit.

As the winner of Patxaran (CB silver tinsel from Xmas tree decorating contest), I didn't post that I was one of the winners. I gave away the vast majority of the 2nd gen tinsels to anyone who asked - nothing needed in return. He turned out to be a fairly crummy breeder, so people have definitely waited a long time for their eggs.

...and now I wish I'd reserved a 3rd post for debunking myths.  Serves me right for doing stuff at silly o'clock in the morning.  *facepalm*  Not calling you out, Syphoneira, but I swear this forum delights in proliferating unsubstantiated rumour.

When I caught Luckiest Catch, I didn't know if the protection was scroll-based or egg-based, and a PM to TJ about it revealed.... nothing.  So I just fogged everything on my scroll if I couldn't be there to babysit it and was really careful.  IIRC, Luckiest Catch grew up without ever being sick (I didn't influence or incubate, either - she's totally governed by chance and omigosh doesn't she make sure I know it come breeding time!  rolleyes.gif)

Lol, not trying to spread myths. laugh.gif

I certainly know nothing about this, and doubt that everyone on the forum does - any one of whom potentially could win and might not even think of this sort of thing at the moment of SQUEEEEE!.

So I used a mistaken memory/wrong information in the form of a question trying to bring up a point that that doesn't seem to have been so far addressed.

This is something which people need to know about in order to prepare for, before they have a Prize egg and potentially a lengthy parade of viewers on a scroll almost certainly having other growing dragons on it.

This is why I *thought* (totally LAMAO after looking at my previous - keep looking back because I didn't even notice this vanishing) I was suggesting that those who DO know give information on it in this how-to manual, so that anyone knowing about it knows what to do about the rest of their dragons - and thinks of doing it beforehand.

Only on review, I seem to have wiped out an intervening sentence while doing some reconstruction. ROFLMAO

There was supposed to be something in that blank spot prior to the sentence starting with 'Also', (which currently has no reason for the 'also', lol - will put that sentence back in once the giggles subside) suggesting that it would be super if people who had personal knowledge could give advice on this, so nobody wound up losing all of their other babies.

Amazon_warrior had a miracle catch rather than being presented with a Prize, so wouldn't have had whatever protection might have been (that we now know wasn't) supplied to people's other growing dragons on their scrolls, and apparently couldn't get info from TJ on this herself, in her hour of need...

Commander Wymsy provided the information that only the Prize egg itself is protected.

It would also be great if people who'd been through it could give tips on how they dealt/wish they'd dealt with this situation, even if it was only keeping their eggs/hatchies Fogged to briefly ER.

Because this isn't something that a lot of people have encountered...

It would also be great if people who'd been through it could give tips on how they dealt/wish they'd dealt with this situation, even if it was only keeping their eggs/hatchies Fogged to briefly ER.

I kept my other dragons fogged if I wasn't around my computer at the time. Worked for me. Nothing ever got sick in the first place anyhow.

I kept my other dragons fogged if I wasn't around my computer at the time. Worked for me. Nothing ever got sick in the first place anyhow.

Good heavens, I've made a production out of simply asking for advice on something to be added to the manual, but thanks for being so helpful!

It'd occurred to me that this didn't seem to have been mentioned at all and was exactly the sort of thing that might not be thought of, especially to those who hadn't publicly mentioned a win but might have been noticed anyway.

Thanks so much for providing the info!

So I'm guessing that you didn't get too insanely flooded, your other dragons were OK just watched closely and fogged?

I was rather imagining a horde checking in, but I suppose it's not nearly as intense as all that?

Well, the first bred shimmer that went to the AP got killed by sickness almost immediately due to people being curious. But, it was also an announced ffa. So people clicked the parent and just had to keep clicking the egg. It was like a walmart stampede. People knew very well that they'd kill it. But they couldn't exercise a little restraint to stop peeking at it until it died. I believe some of the other 2nd gens had the same issue as people were nosy to see what was being bred with what. I'd imagine that dies down to a degree with time.

I had a fairly early shimmer gifted to me, I was very careful to keep it fogged when I wasn't around as it got a bit stalked. I used Yarolds, a click site, to give it views, as it can get 100 views in about 5 minutes when used at the right time of day, to help it get ready to hatch.

I think it was mentioned earlier, 40,000 people in the raffle. Even if only 40 of those decided to keep an eye on your scroll, well, the clicks start adding up.

Good heavens, I've made a production out of simply asking for advice on something to be added to the manual, but thanks for being so helpful!

It'd occurred to me that this didn't seem to have been mentioned at all and was exactly the sort of thing that might not be thought of, especially to those who hadn't publicly mentioned a win but might have been noticed anyway.

Thanks so much for providing the info!

So I'm guessing that you didn't get too insanely flooded, your other dragons were OK just watched closely and fogged?

I was rather imagining a horde checking in, but I suppose it's not nearly as intense as all that?

I had more people immediately looking at my scroll when I announced I won than there were people looking at it when I had the actual dragon. Nothing ever got sick in either instance, but I would fog stuff after they got a fairly high amount of views anyway.

I distinctly remember naming some of the growing hatchlings at the time to write out a message that read something like "My prize isn't here yet, please come back later." Obviously that naming thing was temporary, yeah. But it died off after a couple days, so it was all good.

For what it's worth, nobody's really ever randomly viewbombed me. I've been viewbombed once when I won a CB Silver in a lotto (I aptly named the dragon "You suck at viewbombing" because they were honestly doing a crappy job of trying to kill it). But I also fog anything I have that's really precious just in case somebody randomly feels like being malicious and I'm not around to notice it.

Thanks to you both!

This is really interesting stuff on its own merits!

Quite a contrast in various results, which I suppose is only to be expected - and I hope everyone checks this out now.

I suppose the watchful eye and one finger on the Fogger is the way to go...

-off topic comment removed- Edited by rubyshoes

Admittedly, I am vaguely too terrified to ask anyone to breed anything for me. >> Especially when I don't really have anything spectacular to offer in return. I think the only eggs I've been super proud of breeding are my 3rd Gen ShadowWalker and Lightning...or Thunder...one the Lengedaries... Legendary egg... and my second gen Ember and Grave egg...

Other than that, I just feel sad and small compared to some of the cool stuff people are able to produce and gift. xd.png

One day, when the holidays roll around, I will have pretty second gen holidays to breed. :3 [/so excite for the day she has pretty stuff to gift]

EDIT

Gosh darn it laptop, stop being so eager to post things! D< I ain't done typing yet!

Anyways, these are great advice on the off chance my chances of making pretty babies to give out turn to light via raffle.

I think keeping quiet about it for a bit is a good idea. Just a nice breather to squee in private and with friends. Random gifting would be what I'd do. Low-key and stress free and I can gaurentee I'd have an egg. I'd have no clue how to deal with a list though, even with this advice. D: What happens when the dragon just outright refuses to produce a pretty egg?

Edited by noxlyx

This is something that confuses me a great deal, and I promise relates to this topic because it falls under advice for new prize owners, is - why do lower gen lines of many people have only ever use one mate, and then seem surprised they don't produce many offspring from that line?

Sometimes it takes some work to find a mate they finally click with. I mean, it doesn't make leaps and bounds of difference (unless you find that "perfect" mate), but its a lot better than 1 - 3 or less offspring in over a year or more.

If there is a reason people opt for 1 mate only (and it being the first random mate you choose), I'd love to know why. Because I can understand names, but you can always change a name when you find a better match.