Lemniscate

The Secret of the Stone

So much for staying hidden... Aria thought.

Peering out slightly from behind the trees, Aria noticed two dragons, one an emerald green color, the other, dark with the image of a mesmerizing nebula on its wing. Though the one named Kersti had not yet spoken, the one who had approached her, Zeditha seemed fairly friendly and seemed to have a grip on the situation, so Aria figured she might as well cooperate with her for the time being, until Aria herself knew what was going on.

"My name is Aria," she said. "Do either of you happen to know what is going on? I just got here two days ago and the next morning I woke up to this body." Aria gestured to her new scaly body.

Suddenly thinking of her minimal memories, Aria had another question. " Do you guys remember... A survey? I can't remember much about what happened, but I seemed to remember filling out some sort of survey about dragons and somehow I ended up here..." Aria sighed.

"And oh, I'm sorry! Nice to meet you two. I'm just a little on edge..." Looking toward the other two dragons, Aria laughed nervously.

"Yes, I remember something like that," Kersti said, gliding over. "Nice to meet you, Aria. There were a couple questions about dragons, but that's all I can recall. Awfully suspicious." She glanced at the other dragons in the clearing. "Anyone else missing?" She said aloud, though she knew there could be thousands of dragons that they could be waiting for. If not, though, anything could happen at this very moment. "If we're all here, then..." Her voice trailed off again, a habit of hers. Unfinished thoughts. Infinite possibilites, they can't all be said.

((Rules have been changed! Look!

I'm still waiting for a few more people before posting, but if they don't post soon, I will just post))

Edited by Silverphoenixx

Zeditha nodded. "I remember the survery, and the necklace in the post..." she said, tail lifting the necklace as she spoke. "Well. I'm pretty sure this is a dream, because I remember dreaming about being a dragon before. I looked just like this, except for the maroon..." She turned around briefly, as if chasing her tail, to admire herself; and then she sat back down. "I get the impression that not everyone has had similar dreams. It took me a while to learn to fly," She smiled and fanned her wings, "So I don't expect us all to fly like a flock of sparrows right at the moment. Oh and by the way, don't take the necklace off. I tried that, I got really dizzy." She stopped talking to allow a reply.

"Hah, no kidding about the necklace comment though. I took mine off and my body nearly overheated....We'll, I'm doubtful this is a dream. After all, it's not like we can all share the same dream and I sure as heck couldn't have imagined all of this." Aria looked around the clearing at the new world they had all been transported too.

Thinking about what Zeditha had said, Aria was only more inclined to befriend her. After all, if she had had a dream about being a dragon before, she would be a lot more useful in this state. "Hey Zeditha, you up for teaching me how to fly then? I figure we might as well learn all the skills we can to be prepared for whatever the stones brought us here to do..."

(I will make a post since Darren is not responding.)

To Kira's great surprise, the necklace formed a hand and began shoving her through the trees when she did not respond to it! "Hey! Ow! Stop that! Help!" She was being shoved away from the small dragon. "Sorry!" she yelped. "Quit that! You're my necklace, not the other way around! I said STOP!" Suddenly, she heard other voices that she was being pushed towards! "Hey! HEY! HELP, I'M BEING HIJACKED BY MY OWN NECKLACE!" She attempted to take it off again, but it stuck stubbornly to her neck. What if the others weren't friendly? Well, it was too late now. She scrabbled at the ground with her wings as she was shoved into a clearing full of...

More dragons.

Kersti turned to the dragon who had just popped out of the brush, blinking in surprise. "Another one! How many more are there?" Curiosity was beginning to get the best of her. "Why are we all being gathered here?" She muttered under her breath. "Hello, newcomer." Seeing the look on Kira's face, she quickly said "Don't worry, we won't hurt you." She glanced around to the other dragons. "At least, I won't. I'm Kersti. She is Zeditha," Kersti said, whipping her head around to look at the two other dragons. "And this is Aria. Aaand there are a couple more dragons here," She said, looking around the clearing, "But they haven't introduced themselves yet. You are?"

Zeditha looked at Aria, ignoring the newcomer. There were so many dragons in her dream now, one more couldn't make any difference? "Sure, it might take a while though. And it looks like my dragon body is a different shape from anyone else's..." She glanced around, confirming her statement. "So it might be hard for me to know what flying is like for you. It's fairly easy for me, I think: I'm lightweight - hollow bones, I'd guess, like a bird's - and my wings are pretty huge." She smiled, opening one. It was, as she said, large. In fact, it was three times as wide as her body, and almost as long. "I'll try my best though," she offered.

Kira got to her feet as gracefully as one could once one had been shoved clear across the land by one's own necklace. "My name is Kira... Good to meet you all. I was talking to a tiny blue-green dragon when I started getting shoved by this thing across the land!" She took a closer look at her surroundings. There was so many of them! "Why... why are we all here? Were you guys brought here by your necklaces too?" For although many of them looked different, they all shared 2 facts- they were dragons and wore necklaces. She listened to Zeditha. It sounded like she was going to teach them how to fly. Did they not already know? Kira wanted to try it out but was afraid to fail in front of everyone... again. She brushed earth off of herself with her wings. It was all so strange. Like a dream. She had filled out that survey, she remembered. She had believed in dragons at one point, which is why she circled yes on the first. Breathing fire plus flying? Oh, yes! She had always dreamed of flying, and that was even better. She knew some things about how some dragons survived from a kind of obsession with mythical things when she was younger. "Wait... Did you all take the survey too?!" She wondered if they were all orphans. She remembered that Nebula dragons looked a lot like Kersti. Hellfire Wyverns looked like Aria and Neotropicals looked like Zeditha.

"Yes," said Zeditha, turning to Kira. "I think we all took the survey. But wait - a tiny blue-green dragon? I think his name was Darren. His sister is Marley, and she's big and white. And she looked oily. They aren't here... I talked to them a bit ago," she explained, in case anyone wondered how she knew.

"Well, at this point Zeditha, you seem to know the most about what is going on, so any help would be much appreciated! Also, nice to meet you Kira, I'm Aria. There's not much I could tell you as I seem to know the least of everyone here, but we were all just talking about the survey not too long ago!"Aria moved a little further out from the edge of the forest to get more room to move. "Zeditha, Kersti, and you are the only other dragons I have met thus far..." Edited by Cuteseal2

((I think we should wait for everyone else to introduce themselves. Just to say their names and whether or not they'd like to be taught to fly. Do we have any dragons who are breeds that can't fly?))

((Quick side note - I won't be here from sunday to a week after that, as specified in my signature... so sorry if I don't reply to the RP. And no one's been posting for a while... should we just move the plot along?))

((Plot post, initiate!))

Caroline heard a few hellos through her wings, but was far too embarrassed to do anything in reply. However, once the voices seemed to have focused on something else, she peeked out from under her wings. By the time she had done this, many dragons had gathered. Oddly enough, they all seemed to be wearing the necklace. Were they all part of the same survey as she was? Just as the thought was finished, her necklace gave a jolt and pulled her upwards. With a yelp, she was forced to uncurl herself. Spreading her wings wide in an attempt to steady herself did nothing, as she landed in a disorganized heap. 'Great, I just made an even bigger fool of myself.' She thought. She got up and would have run away, had the necklace not held her in place. Suddenly, a wisp of white smoke came out of her necklace. Smoke started coming out of all the other necklaces too, although in different colors. All the smoke slowly gathered into a vortex near the middle of the clearing. The smoke then slowly took the form of an old man. He had a kind appearance with just a touch of roughness and was wearing some bizarre robe. As more smoke poured into the vortex, he gradually became less transparent until he was completely opaque. The old man then spoke, saying

"People, dragons, whichever you may want to be called. I have gathered you here for a reason. Take a look around. These are your only comrades for now. You may wonder why I said "for now", but listen on, and you will know. That necklace, as you may have guessed, has turned you into a dragon. It is magic and also your only form of communication to me. Do not lose it at all costs. It is what will distinguish you from the multitude of others. The "others" in this case, are dragons. I wish for you to establish a dragon community here. You see, I have read about dragon communities in many books. The records all show that they have disappeared. But their accomplishments have been great, and still exist today. I wanted to see if it was possible to establish a long lasting and self sustaining dragon community. I know the task sounds hard, but bear with me and at least try. If, after a year, you truly despise it, simply tap the necklace twice and I will send you back. This will not work for the first year, so do not try. It seems that my magic is running low, so I wish you good luck and bid goodbye. Whatever happens, do not lose hope."

And with those last words, the smoke disappears and returns to the necklaces.

((Any similarities to anything is entirely coincidental. I am not copying. If it seems similar to anything else, sorry. I'm having trouble coming up with good posts.))

Edited by Silverphoenixx

Zeditha stepped into the space where the old man had been. "Well," she said, surprised. She stared at her necklace; the smoke from it had been dark purple. "Since we are to be a community, we probably need a leader. I propose two votes; one as to whether or not we need a leader, and one to who the leader should be, should we choose to need one. Although, we should probably have two leaders, just in case. I propose one leader from among the girls, and one for the boys. If we are equal numbers in that respect, maybe we should pair off." She shrugged. "But that's a topic for later. As for now, do we need a leader? If so, how many and who?"

Zeditha sat back wondering how many claws she had. It turned out that there were five on each paw, as was normal in humans. She even found, to her happy surprise, that she had a 'thumb' on each front paw. "I have already voted; we need two leaders, one for the girls, one for the boys. I won't vote for who until the end." She closed her paws into a 'fist' and raised one claw, indicating her own choice.

Before anyone could respond to Aria's comment, her necklace and those of the dragons around her began to release smoke in various colors and Aria's attention focused, instead, on the form of a man that had formed amongst the dragons. "What the heck..." she murmured just before the man began to spoke.

What he said seemed hard to believe, a dragon civilization? He must be insane! Who turns a group of people into dragons suddenly just to test a theory! When the old man mentioned a way to leave, Aria immediately reached up to tap her necklace, but was stopped short by his limitation on this escape method. Though the idea of a dragon community struck Aria as fascinating, thinking of fending off non-intelligent enemies as well as potential enemies within this group was not a pleasant thought. Well, might as well make the best of the situation since I'm going to be here with these people/dragons for a year...

Off to her right, there was movement, and just as the black and blue fog from her necklace returned to its origin, Zeditha stepped into the center of the clearing. Aria agreed, for the most part, with what she said, however she disagreed slightly and wanted to make sure her idea was heard too.

"I agree we need a leader, however having two leaders in a relatively small group of people- er- dragons is excessive and is simply ASKING for conflict. I say we have one general leader, but other positions of leadership to keep the leader in check as well as reduce the leader's duties." Once she had made her point, Aria stepped back to invite others to give their own opinions.

((Read my mind, Zeditha))

Caroline simply stayed in her place for a good few moments, overcome by shock, before a dragon's voice brought her back into reality. The idea of a group of dragons seemed quite interesting, albeit a little scary. Speaking up for the first time in front of others, she said "I agree with the black and blue dragon. We should have one leader, then a sub leader, and after that maybe a group to help handle decisions. And if something happens to the leader or they decide not to lead anymore, the sub leader can step up. If we don't have organization, then a lot of things could go wrong!" She felt like hiding back in her wings again, but knew this was important. "I have more to say, but I want to settle the leader issue first."

((Might be a little short, sorry. Also, in order for me to be able to progress the plot in a way that fits, my character needs to be one of the higher ups. I don't need the position to be leader, but at least something of importance.))

Edited by Silverphoenixx

((My plan was that, since I accidentally made Zeditha be more comfortable with the situation and therefore everyone looks up to her now, she would be the leader. Of course, since this was accidental, I wouldn't be upset at anyone else becoming leader. If the leader isn't you, we have to vote for you as deputy, or second-in-command.))

Zeditha nodded. "I like that idea," she said. "I think, if your idea is voted for, then we should have a leader, a second-in-command, a lead hunter, and a lead fighter. Everyone else can either be a hunter or a fighter, whichever they want. Once we have a rigid society structure, we can begin to use it.

"Remember, survival may be our first task, but we aren't going to manage that unless we all help each other."

Looking around, Zeditha added, "And since nobody has voted for who they want yet, let's just vote for how we want this to work. We have three suggestions, currently; two joint leaders, one leader alone, or a leader and several other roles. I don't suggest we all become equals, because that always leads to one person or group to lead harshly and cruelly, through force. Anyone read Animal Farm? It'd be like that."

The newly suggested idea seemed the best so far in Aria's opinion. A leader to make final decisions, but a way of keeping them in check seemed like the ideal way to start their new little civilization.

"Well, I for one agree with this new modified idea and, personally, I think the best one to lead us would be Zeditha since she's the most comfortable with the situation."

Aria voiced her opinion on behalf of her new friend, but held off on the role she was interested in until the system was decided upon. As a human, Aria had felt forced into a role of quiet submission and obedience, but with this new world and a new group of companions, Aria thought she might as well hit two birds with one stone: gain confidence and skill and also try something she had alway wanted to, but never had the chance to do living in the city: hunt.

Caroline found this all quite fascinating. 'Wow' She thought 'I never expected making a community to be so exciting' However, the new roles did bring up a question. If she were to take one of the major positions, which one would she take? Lead Fighter sounded fun, but she didn't want to kill anything, which would likely be necessary. The next best one might be Lead Hunter, but the idea of eating anything raw that wasn't fish or fruit made her queasy. Well then second in command? It sounded the best out of them all. Leader would just be too much when she was surrounded by complete strangers. At least they were friendly strangers though. Tuning back into the conversation, she heard the black and blue dragon say that "Zeditha" would be the best choice. Who was "Zeditha"? And what was the black and blue dragon's name? Well the black and blue dragon seemed to know about the others, so might as well agree with her. "I don't know much about who would make the best leader, but will go along with the black and blue dragon's choice." She said. She just hoped they didn't think of her as too much of a fool.

Edited by Silverphoenixx

Aria felt more self-assured now that another member of the group had agreed with her opinions, and she turned to look at the blue dragon who, though seemingly timid, had made her voice heard on important matters. Upon looking to her right, however, Aria realized she had not learned the dragon's name, or the names of the many other dragons in the clearing and suddenly felt embarrassed. "I'm so sorry!" she jumped in when it was quiet. "I completely forgot that we've all only just met and I have yet to introduce myself. My name is Aria. I'm not sure what else to tell you as this situation is very peliculiar, but hope we can all learn to make the best of this bizarre situation."

Although she tried to make herself seem nonchalant and confident, Aria spoke fairly quickly and immediately stepped out of the center of the clearing once she was finished speaking. Well, a benefit to being a dragon is that they can't see my face turn bright red... Aria thought to herself. Ill try to make the best of the situation and hopefully no one will think I'm being inconsiderate. With that thought, Aria decided to talk a little less and let the quieter dragons speak so she could meet them and no one would think Aria was too pushy.

Glad that another dragon had asked for names instead of her, Caroline responded by saying "My name is Caroline. It's nice to meet you all." She was gradually recovering from her earlier accidents, and as a result, became less shy and more outspoken. All the other dragons seemed equally shocked by the incident, this was rather reassuring to Caroline, as it proved that she wasn't just overreacting. There was still a bit of an uncertain aura though, so she didn't speak any more than that. This was much better than being thought of as a fool, and Caroline, deciding that she rather liked these dragons, was convinced that being part of a community with these strangers wouldn't be too bad.