LibbyLishly

Unfreezing

The one's you've listed are not penalties

Not being able to trade it - well heck you were never ABLE to trade a frozen hatchling in the first place.

Not having access to the adult for months - well a frozen hatchling would never have even become an adult.

I feel if this were implemented it would be heavily exploited by greedy people because there are just seemingly to me a lot of greedy people on this site who would use this to their advantage.

At Christmas for example, I could barely trade for nice hollies because most everyone wanted CB metals and low gen prizes, and I was trading for hollies to gift them to people. I don't want trading to become an even more of a pain in the butt than it already is because people could get even rarer dragons for them.

Edited by beautifuldragon5000

I feel if this were implemented it would be heavily exploited by greedy people because there are just seemingly to me a lot of greedy people on this site who would use this to their advantage.

At Christmas for example, I could barely trade for nice hollies because most everyone wanted CB metals and low gen prizes, and I was trading for hollies to gift them to people. I don't want trading to become an even more of a pain in the butt than it already is because people could get even rarer dragons for them.

They could tradelock it, that was listed on the first post tongue.gif

I doubt many people freeze on accident as in "oh shoot, I didn't mean to freeze that,"

I have done this. lol Usually when I have multiples of the same breed or the page didn't load all the way and jumps as I click on one hatchling meaning to get the one above/below. "Dang it, that's not what I wanted, now I have to get another of those." Sigh. Move on. lol.

I do not necessarily regret any of my frozen, even the unintended ones. but I would still probably use this on a few of them if this this feature was added. In my case, mostly my CB holidays from prior years. I can now replace them with messier hatchlings. I'm not looking for trade value, I AP the offspring of all my holidays every year (except Marrows and they never had a limit to begin with). I'm just of the mind that 2nd gens are more desirable and thus more likely to be cared for. Always makes me sad seeing all the dead/dying holiday eggs each Christmas and Valentines when there are people still trying to get any of that breed. sad.gif

So, that is my motivation. and also explains why, if this doesn't happen, I won't think it's the end of the world.

They could tradelock it, that was listed on the first post tongue.gif

I know it was, but I am firmly against this for the reasons I have stated. I don't think there is a reasonably logical way to get around the exploitation of this feature if it were added.

I know it was, but I am firmly against this for the reasons I have stated. I don't think there is a reasonably logical way to get around the exploitation of this feature if it were added.

Fair enough. ^^

The main issue is how much certain things could control the trade market. Imagine people charging obscene prices for unfrozen Frills, Old Pinks, and past CB Holidays...

True, but if people are willing to pay those "prices" I don't see what's the harm. I never got an old pink and I'd rather have the option to obtain one now even if I have to overpay rather than never have the chance.

I think people need to not shoot down a suggestion out of envy of what people might or might not trade for.

I couldn't agree more. Who cares if some people will trade certain things for obscene prices? It won't actually affect most users and no one is forced to participate in a trade they feel is unfair.

Edited by Renorei

Perhaps we might.

Or alternatively, we might just see people making a last ditch effort to swap unobtainables for unobtainables (e.g. frill -> frill, bright pink -> bright pink, bright pink -> frill, frill -> bright pink)

<__>

I'm *very* glad to see TJ weighing in on this suggestion!! His posts clear up some things (like if this would even be an option), but of course raises other points as well.

TJ makes a good point that "unfrozen taking up eggslot" would be just as confusing and unintuitive as the 24-hour thing we have now. I can just picture people posting "I have 3 eggs and no hatchlings, no dead things, why am I locked?!". It would be yet another drama to constantly deal with and try to explain.

I do like the idea of an un-unfreezable-time, an amount of time a hatchling has to be frozen before it can be unfrozen. Would prevent "abuse" of the feature, and it also makes sense in an RP view: You cast a powerful spell to freeze the hatchling, it's completely possible that there's an amount of time where a counter-spell wouldn't work.

As for the last handful of post.... I don't really know what to say. I do NOT support this idea if it leads to people being able to trade unfrozen rare/discontinued hatchlings. Which is why I really like the suggestions to either make them insta-adults, or ground them to the scroll like GoNs. ... And I'm not sure what more there is to it then that. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is with this part of the suggestion.

Instant adults is too close to cheating for my tastes.

Instant adults is too close to cheating for my tastes.

You have to remember, though, that those "instant adults" would come after 1) the eggs were already raised to hatchling status and 2) they were stuck as hatchlings for several months to a year. That's a far cry from instant! As before, I wouldn't object to them being reset with seven days to raise--I just don't think there'd be a big issue if they were "insta" adults either.

I think the penalty should be some sort of failure rate, not when where if you attempt to unfreeze and fail that hatchling will forever remain frozen but instead you must wait until the action becomes available again before you can reattempt.

I'd like frozen hatchings to become adults immediately upon unfreezing purely because this is the easiest way to ensure they cannot be trade, with lengthy time limits and cooldowns I dont think having it grow immediately would be like cheating the system at all.

I think the penalty should be some sort of failure rate, not when where if you attempt to unfreeze and fail that hatchling will forever remain frozen but instead you must wait until the action becomes available again before you can reattempt.

I'd like frozen hatchings to become adults immediately upon unfreezing purely because this is the easiest way to ensure they cannot be trade, with lengthy time limits and cooldowns I dont think having it grow immediately would be like cheating the system at all.

Well that's true. Well it's one or the other in the end, I guess. (either unfreezing time penalty or success penalty)

Just to mention, the issue driving the initial suggestion involved allowing people who had frozen dragons under circumstances which have changed, to break the 'eternal youth spell' on these dragons.

This was not intended to allow cheating or the routine use of Freezing with an intent to unFreeze later, merely to provide a counterspell whereby people can rectify a situation they feel is now unsuitable to current circumstance, and my personal recommendation would include only dragons Frozen in years previous to the current year.

When, a year, (or in many cases, years,) later, certain dragons are unFrozen, it seems simpler and more logical to have these dragons simply adult, in part, so that they can't be traded and also because adding complexity to a simple procedure isn't always a good idea, especially when it directly contradicts the purpose of the spell used.

Since the consensus seemingly stands at this Healing being a powerful spell which cannot be enacted on any scroll more than once a month, a maximum of 12 dragons a year could be released from their youth spell and matured as adults, this being the purpose of the counter-spell - to allow the dragons magically Frozen in the time of their youth to at last become adults, so that it seriously doesn't make sense to break the spell and not have them become adults.

This isn't about saving scroll space.

It's about letting dragons be-spelled into perpetual childhood finally grow up.

I think people need to not shoot down a suggestion out of envy of what people might or might not trade for.

Although there is a point for things that don't make sense to be able to trade during some seasons, namely out of season seasonals and out of season holidays (I can see people stocking up on those to freeze them for trade fodder later, which is why I would support something to make re-unfrozen hatchies untradeable, although I suppose an argument could be made for people who can't catch rares finally having something they may be able to trade for higher value stuff).

Why not just make a BSA that unfreezes.

Have it be like a slowly working/reversing spell that takes 7 days to work its magic. However, during that time, the hatchling is vulnerable, able to get sick easily, and can not be traded or handed off because it could possibly die if it leaves the dragon that casts the BSA? Like some kind of "life tie". (It will still need some views and clicks though.)

My opinion: a simple No.

This game is about raising dragons, when you froze, you decided to do something thats not in the original intent of the game. Why revert that now?

Also, I could say: Live with your choices. You can't reset your life, you can't reset many things, why should this be any different?

This game is about raising dragons, when you froze, you decided to do something thats not in the original intent of the game. Why revert that now?

Also, I could say: Live with your choices. You can't reset your life, you can't reset many things, why should this be any different?

Lol, perhaps because it's not life?

Because if a magic spell can be cast in a game, it may be possible, if difficult, to remove it?

Perhaps not in real life - but - it isn't RL and, speaking for myself, I've never known of any magic spells in RL.

Why shouldn't a game that's supposed to be fun, which people play to get away from RL, be different from (and more user-friendly than) real life?

We don't get to collect dragons in RL, after all, and in fact - there don't seem to be any around here at all. smile.gif

First of all, let me present my xmas dragon, so you can see, that they are around (and collectible. biggrin.gif)

user posted image

And, there are many things that would make playing DC more fun. Like selecting which dragons you get, instead of hunting for them. Like everyone getting a CB Metal or retired breed for free each month. Like everyone winning the raffle. Like no refusals, Like choosing which offspring... I could continue this little list for a whole lot longer, and all of these suggestions are as selfish (looks to me that way) as the unfreezing one.

This game is for fun. Not teaching harsh life choices. The rules change all the time. They already have with the removal of holiday breed limits. Things have been reverted already. So reverting this is no different.

This was suggested because of a CHANGE that already took place. :]

Edited by Lyxii

This game is for fun. Not teaching harsh life choices. The rules change all the time. They already have with the removal of holiday breed limits. Things have been reverted already. So reverting this is no different.

This was suggested because of a CHANGE that already took place. :]

see my previous post for examples that could make the game more "fun", too.

also, to quote TJ, I think he hits the nail on the head there:

I happen to believe not--there will almost certainly always be cases where an action is performed that the user later regrets, and while good software usability might dictate that users should be able to undo their changes as much as possible, the concept of making mistakes is a fundamental part of games that, when removed, takes away from the positive reaction of succeeding.

It is ok that freezing is permanent, just with the new holiday limit we could think about unfreeze holidays, but for all the other dragons I don`t need that opinion.

There's always the option of making unfrozen hatchlings un-tradable and un-abandonable, so they would have to stay in the scroll they're and won't cause any issue to the trade market.

I think this would be a MUST - what Renorei says

I actually think it would be helpful if users could freeze hatchlings and trade them later on. Most users can't catch multiple CB metals within the span of a few days, so for such users it might be useful if they could catch several over a year or so and then trade them all for something like a 2nd gen holly or 2nd gen prize, for instance.
spells out for me how ESSENTIAL this safeguard is.

Contrary to some people's beliefs - this game was always about collecting, and even GIFTING ! - not about playing the stock market.

I also take TJ's point about there always being decisions that we regret. Reposting as I think it is very important here:

There will almost certainly always be cases where an action is performed that the user later regrets, and while good software usability might dictate that users should be able to undo their changes as much as possible, the concept of making mistakes is a fundamental part of games that, when removed, takes away from the positive reaction of succeeding.

respectfully I see your point of view, I have been playing this game for a very long time I might be having a get off my lawn moment with this lol but I don't see any reason why it needs to be changed when you have ample opportunity before you freeze something to change your mind. Like on my scroll I type in my password to do any action so how could anyone freeze something on accident which this is what it seems like this is saying.

ER....

Well.... *blush*

Not that it was one that mattered, but - it can be done.

And my daughter bought a TV on ebay yesterday by accident... A slip of the mouse and you can blow it...

Edited by fuzzbucket

The only restriction I think is really necessary on unfreezing is something that stops people from freezing a hatchling and then immediately unfreezing for an instant adult. I don't really see how it would hurt anything if a few users froze some hatchlings and then unfroze them later for trades? The only time I could see this being a bad thing was if someone unfroze a holiday hatchling in July and traded it, but, that's not likely to happen often. I actually think it would be helpful if users could freeze hatchlings and trade them later on.

The problem I have with this is that it would give an unfair advantage to people who freeze hatchlings over people who don't.

Like, imagine two players. Player one has 100 adult frills. The other had 50 adult and 50 hatchlings of that breed that can be unfrozen at will to be traded for obscene prices. That's pretty much the epitome of "not fair".

To be quite frank, I can understand wanting to undo a freezing of a hatchling that has risen in value in order to breed it. But giving the owner the option to actually trade it would be too much. As a matter of fact, it would be totally game-breaking in my opinion. Discontinued breeds and holiday breeds are not meant to be available any more or at least not as CB (in the case of holiday breeds). Allowing people to unfreeze and trade it would be worse than a general re-release of said breed. Because not everybody would have the same chance to get them. (Yes, in theory, everybody could catch the required two dozen CB golds - but practically? Not really. I didn't even manage to get a single one during the latest metal flood. And I'm sure I'm not alone.)

....And I'm sure I'm not alone.

No, you aren't alone smile.gif