HomeForFlowers

Starbound

After a quick search, I didn't see anyone who had made this topic. If I somehow skipped over it, please do shut down this topic.

After getting Starbound on Steam, I have found myself loving it. It's a lot like Terraria, but includes many new features such as space travel, randomly generated towns, dungeons, and facilities, a larger impact on survival, different tools, ores, weapons, clothing, and such, multiple races to start off as, randomly generated monsters, an ever changing difficultly level, and thousands upon thousands of planets to explore. Although it is still in Beta, I feel as though this game might make it big in the industry. Any other thoughts on it?

Oi, where is everyone D8

This thread deserves an awful lot more attention than it's getting.

After following Starbound's development for nearly two years and pre-ordering Gold Tier around six months before it's release, this was a pretty big deal for me alot.png

EDIT: Also thought I might mention the fact that the monsters are actually generated by the game on the fly; very little of the content in the game has been preset. It's almost like the developers have built a game that creates itself. Which is no mean feat, might I add.

Edited by NinjaKrill

Ah yes, I know most of the monsters are randomly generated. Might I add just how amazing that someone could actually get that done. I've seen some pretty amazing combinations. Though, I'm not so sure I'm liking the idea of fire spiders climbing up walls and dropping down onto me when I'm mining. ^^"

(As mentioned in the next section of beta.)

I have the game on Steam. I like the gameplay and how easier some things are, such as placement and mining. The different races add an interesting touch. Though I'm trying to hold off on playing it since I read there will be a final wipe on the next update. Regarding races, I read some suggested ones and some people have been doing a good job on them.

A patch note has been released on the website, so we can probably expect it some time this month. What does everyone play as? I play as an Avian mainly, though after the patch, I'm trying out a few of the other races as well.

Started playing, like, three days ago. I already love it, though the very beginnings weren't easy and I already had a meteor destroy half of my temp house. Twice in a row, it hit EXACTLY the same spot.

/me is a space burd. Chirp!

Edited by Light Concorde

Some people say it's best to avoid building houses on planets that gets attacked on meteor. Since a spawn point hasn't been implemented yet, I only bring a tent with me.

A patch note has been released on the website, so we can probably expect it some time this month. What does everyone play as? I play as an Avian mainly, though after the patch, I'm trying out a few of the other races as well.

I tend to like the Glitch more myself. When I do the little icon for seeing how my character responds to certain things, the Glitch often have a more logical and straight forward answer than some of the other races. It may be small, but I understand what certain things are better with a Glitch than, say, a human.

I tend to like the Glitch more myself. When I do the little icon for seeing how my character responds to certain things, the Glitch often have a more logical and straight forward answer than some of the other races. It may be small, but I understand what certain things are better with a Glitch than, say, a human.

A friend of mine plays Glitch as well. Unfortunately, the character keeps running into hostile Avians. Weird part is that my Avian keeps running into hostile Glitch. huh.gif

~Removed~

Personally, I consider Starbound to be like a Terraria: New and improved.

So now I have a question, do you guys think that Starbound will be just like Terraria? As in, hyped up a lot in the beginning and then it's just same old same old?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I agree! And I play a Hyoltol named Coralmaster. I nuked many Floran villages with my bombs. Stupid flowers.

Really? I've only interacted with friendly Avians and hostile Glitch.  huh.gif

Probably one of those things...

~Removed~

Personally, I consider Starbound to be like a Terraria: New and improved.

So now I have a question, do you guys think that Starbound will be just like Terraria? As in, hyped up a lot in the beginning and then it's just same old same old?

It feels too soon for me to say anything about that question, since I'm waiting for the "start over" patch. I know that Starbound supports mods, so down the road there's something that can probably fill whatever's missing until then.

I think Starbound, already, has much more content that Terraria. Considering the fact that you can go to different planets and ever different sections of the galaxy tells me that much more content is being offered. Considering it's still in beta and not fully complete tells me that even more content is heading our way.

In all honesty, I'm more excited about the storyline. Big Ape, Greenfinger, the Avian high priests, and the Doctor who's name escapes me, they are all part of some big conspiracy. Not to mention the death star hologram you can find in hostile human facilities. Do any of you have an theories on what's going on?

I think the Death Star hologram is just a fun reference, not something plot-significant. That said, this game is interesting and I'm excited to see where it goes. I've tried playing a few characters- first I did a Floran named Yuuka, then an Avian named Luna, currently I'm on a Hylotl.

The hologram I thought was for fun, but the rest is serious.

I had an Avian character. I started to explore with it, found a sewer dungeon, got killed, and then went back to my Glitch. ^^"

I play as a Floran and my cousin plays as a Glitch. I'm absolutely loving the game so far, it's so much more expansive than Terraria already. I'm anxious to see what else they'll add~

I think the Death Star hologram is just a fun reference, not something plot-significant. That said, this game is interesting and I'm excited to see where it goes. I've tried playing a few characters- first I did a Floran named Yuuka, then an Avian named Luna, currently I'm on a Hylotl.

I think it would be interesting if they made a death star planet. We got the moon and asteroid field, and I read other potential planets, such as ocean.

Did you guys hear about the new patch? It should be coming up sometime this week and will contain the final character wipe. I don't know about you guys, but I'm anxiously waiting for the wipe. As soon as it's done and gone, I'll jump right back into Starbound.

That's sad they make the update this way... I mean, why not do it like in Terraria, just adding/modifying things while the character stays? I'm definitely NOT OKAY with losing everything I worked hard for, just for that.

That's sad they make the update this way... I mean, why not do it like in Terraria, just adding/modifying things while the character stays? I'm definitely NOT OKAY with losing everything I worked hard for, just for that.

I think it's mostly because they have to. Starbound is still in beta and the deletion of characters is a part of joining the beta. This isn't like they're updating a complete game, they're working on building the game. It is far from the finished product and one of the warnings giving to players joining the beta is that character deletions may happen. This is probably something that they cannot avoid if they want to make the game better and will be forced to do it. None of us like it, but it just has to be. On the bright side, this is the final wipe and you will never lose any of your characters again. (At least, we hope so.)

I try not to make too much progress on the game, and I'm all for starting over just to be able to see how the beginning of the game works again and how much they have added since.