Drakonspite

Heraldic Tales

user posted image

Daeris was struggling with keeping her grip on the wall, her claws losing their grasp on the ledge. The Brute came tumbling down, landing quite hard on the ground. As the Brute looked up, she noticed a Gilded Bloodscale looking back at her.

She swooned, if that's what she called the sudden shyness that hit her. Daeris laughed at his suggestion. "It's a bit late for that now," she chuckled. She stood up on now wobbly legs, steadying herself. She was much larger than the stranger before her, but it didn't bother her much. "My name's Daeris. Sorry you had to see me take a fall like that," she said, giving a shy smile.

user posted image

Axel began to feel embarrassed. He didn't know where the magic came from. It just happened. He wished he could shrink down to the floor but it didn't show on his face.

"Uh...? Ms Vorgi Teacher? I don't know where my magic is from," Axel announced, bracing himself for jeering or taunting from the others.

user posted image

"I'm done, Mr. Brail! Bye now!" And with that, Alique left the training room.

'What is with that strange black hatchling?' Brail wondered to himself. He turned back to the rest of the hatchlings working and gave a dramatic sigh. "Better hurry up with you want to eat! After you have finished cleaning up, work together to do a large map of the planet. And after, someone better get that black rat, also known as Alique. I need to chat with her," Brail spoke briskly as he gave out the instructions.

"Hurry up and someone get the mop to clean the ink from the floor!" He added in an angry tone. Brail knew he got mad at his students for listening to him, but he needed to boss some dragons around.

((I'm losing my inspiration to roleplay now.... Dont really know what to do. ))

user posted image

"It's a bit late for that now.

My name's Daeris. Sorry you had to see me take a fall like that."

The left mind tilted his head to the side, smiling at the Brute with a light laugh.

"Oh, it's alright. We're probably going to fall a couple of times as well. At least, once we start."

He turned to the right head, who had glanced over the Brute hatchling and was now looking to the top of the rock wall. Flicking their tail against the ground, the right head directed their body to the wall and was currently trying to find a spot to start climbing. The left head was paying more attention on talking to Daeris, so he wasn't moving his limbs in coordination with his other side.

"I'm Glen, and this is my brother, Glen. It's a pleasure to meet you, Daeris."

With that, the left head ducked his head in a small, confusing bow. The right head had his hand on one of the protruding rocks and ignored his other half's attempt at being polite. He didn't want to climb up a wall, he wanted to try the arena, but no, he had to follow his other half. He had to listen to him babble to another dragon, who the right head had no ill-will towards but was just agitated at for distracting the left head. He let out a huff of a sigh, flicking the tip of their tail in irritation.

user posted image

Daeris giggled, watching the Bloodscale clumsily climb the wall. "It's nice to meet you, Glen and Glen!" she shouted happily. She decided to try and stay near Glen, since he was the only one who seemed to want to be around her. Climbing the wall carefully, she decided to take his advice and use her tail.

Her tail helped steady her, her claws still quite shaky as she gripped the rocks. "You're already better than me!" she laughed, struggling to keep her grip on the rocks.

user posted image

A butterfly landed on the tip of Alique's tail, drawn to the tune the dragon was trilling. The dark mud beneath her was quite firm, not giving way to her light body. Soon, though, Alique grew bored. She began playing with magic, distractedly allowing her tail to flicker with fire. The insect barely had time to escape before it was engulfed, and it quietly flitted over to a tree branch, which it deemed safer. I wonder if Jiiva will come? He seemed enthusiastic...

Edited by KoalaNoob

user posted image

"Jiiva once told me his name was gibberish," Luxiphere chimed in at Sepisc's remark. "Completely made up."

"But he is Jiiva. And I'm not. So that's not quite an option." Keszpik waved his tail indignantly. He wasn't at all comparable to that hyperactive Fleshcrowne, was he? He hoped not. In life he aimed to be the exact opposite of the orange hatchling. "On the other hand, it would make quite a lot of sense if that was my original name. But... well, it's hard to explain. Like, it's someone else's name and mine. Which doesn't make sense since it's such an elaborate name. Unless..."

"The name of my father?" Keszpik pondered. "Which would make me Ketrabbot Aszpik Fulgetrum Tonitrus II. But, I've heard that name, too. After joining Heraldic. So my question is where?"

"Hello? Havelia to Keszpik?" Luxiphere mock-slapped the Thunder with her tail, breaking up his thoughts like a windblown cloud. He shook his head, pawing his face. She back away a little, looking down. "Sorry," she mumbled. "I just worried that you would space out like earlier. And by earlier I mean five minutes ago, so it seemed more plausible."

"You might as well have disturbed me," Keszpik sighed. "Everything in my head is just a complicated mess right now, anyways."

user posted image

Jiiva had been so busy dashing around the dummy that he had to crash into the wall before noticing the newcomer. He rubbed his head, trying to un-blur his vision before getting a good look at it. So, it was a Brute; that was one step closer. Sorta. He looked over to Scorpion, raising an eyebrow.

"Daeris," she said nonchalantly.

"Daeris? I've never heard that name. Which means only one thing," he said excitedly. He dashed over to the climbing wall where she was, his long legs clearing the long span of the gym in giant, swift strokes. It was hardly a moment before he was at the other side.

"Hi," Jiiva said, his tail wagging spasmodically. "I heard you were new. I'm Jiiva. Usually Scorpion has me help people like you. I-I mean, not girls. Like, new people and stuff. 'Cause, you know..." He blushed all over. This was really awkward. He had hoped for anything but another girl hatchling to come along: his love life was already a tangled mess, and that was with just two ladies.

"Ladies!? Love!? Holy tipahpaqui chichime! Alique!"

"I have to go," Jiiva suddenly blurted out. "Scorpion?"

"I dunno," she said, raking her claws on the stone floor as if he had asked her for one of her limbs. "You were late."

"But everyone was, and I was first anyways. Please? Pleeeaaase?"

"Eh, fine. Only because you had to deal with three newcomers today." She waved him off, returning to her catnap.

"Oh thank you! Thank you soooo much!" Jiiva half bounced, half flew out of the room. His small wings flapped vigorously. He crashed through the hallways, bumping into several hatchlings as he went. At one point he fully tumbled into a fat looking Harvest. For a moment the two locked eyes. But just as soon Jiiva was off again. He hoped through the lobby, flew straight into the doors, was sent flailing outside, and made his grand finale plopping in the snow, sending white powder everywhere.

"Oh brr, it's colder than I expected. Actually, it's Menap. I'm not sure what I expected other than cold. Whatever, I just need to find that willow!"

Edited by Psycho Cat

((I guess I could post a quickie before I go))

Vorgi

"Hmm, interesting. If you believe your magic to come from your willpower, then it probably does. You know your magic much better than I could ever understand it. However, if you become demoralised your magic could weaken, and if you may fall into a fit of rage your magic could get out of control. You must discipline yourself for willpower magic can be dangerous as it is powerful"

Vorgi scanned the room again once more. She turned her attention to the red Christmas dragon as he replied to her question. Upon finding out that Axel did not know where his power came from, Vorgi became disappointed but did not sure it. "Many great wizards and magi did not where their powers came from until late adulthood." She reassured the hatchling. "Christmas dragons generally draw their powers from Menap, but there have been Christmas dragons that drew their power from the sun and negated it in their bodies. There are also darker places from where your ice can be drawn. The ice inside your heart and so..." Vorgi stopped midway. She once knew of a dragon who's power source was the ice in the very essence of their existence. Continual use of that power slowly drained at the dragon's life force, killing him by turning every cell into ice.

Vorgi had let her thoughts drift and found that many of her magic students had lost interest and were playing around. She cleared her throat to regain dominance in the room and said to her magi, "You are too prepare for your next lesson by practising as much as you can. You can use this room to yours hearts content. But before that, there will be an expedition to the Beech Forest. There will be more information from an announcement at 3 o'clock. Be at the main hall by that time. Until then, class dismissed."

Edited by Drakonspite

user posted image

"It's nice to meet you, Glen and Glen! You're already better than me!"

The Gilded Bloodscale had slowly climbed a few feet up, both sides claws digging a grip into the rocks protruding out of the wall. Their shared tail sometimes whipped around to coil around another rock and balance them out a little. When Jiiva suddenly appeared, speaking quickly to Daeris, the right head got momentarily distracted and lost his grip. The left head had been formulating something nice to say to the Brute hatchling and was dragged down when their balance flew away.

They actually weren't that far up the wall, but the impact was enough to drive the air out of both their lungs. After a second of both heads being dizzy and disoriented, the right head got their body back up, shaking his head and grumbling at the left head.

"Pay attention, won't you? If we were any higher and you slipped, then hitting the ground might hurt a little more!"

The left head looked at his other half and felt a little irritated at his whining. He was having a polite conversation with someone and of course his other side would want nothing to do with Daeris. While he didn't really remember if his other side was ever very nice to his friends before he came here, he now believed that his other half was just a big jerk.

Because Daeris was here, the left head didn't argue with the right head and instead turned to the Brute hatchling with the flick of their tail.

"Sorry about that, I guess you were wrong. We aren't the best at being balanced and I think you are doing much better than ourselves"

-----------------------------

user posted image

The Magi hatchling listened intently as the Nebula continued to speak, addressing his answer of magic and then the Christmas hatchlings answer. He mentally stored away the information that he was given, marking it so that he can think on it more later. He created his own magic by his will, but the Nebula was right about disciplining it. Who knows what would happen if it escaped his control.

When the class was dismissed, with words of an expedition at 3, Dimakus glanced around at his fellow class members. There wasn't many of them and none really caught his interest immediately, so the Magi hatchling turned back to the Red Nebula and cleared his throat, his tail twitching.

"Are there any books on magic that you can direct me to?"

Dimakus spoke simply and bluntly, not wanting small talk. His trainer wanted him to practice and he had to discipline his magic. By reading the theories and laws of magic, Dimakus was sure that he'd gleam information for both his magic and these rebels.

Vorgi

"Books? A keen reader are you?" Vorgi felt a smile creep across her face as she looked at the small orange hatchling in front of her. She was never a keen reader herself but she soon found herself being forced to read scrolls by her own conscience. "There are some books, no, lots of books on magic in the Scholary. Too much if you ask me. Never liked books, I believed in discovering for yourself when I was training. But then again, if that's how you wish yourself to obtain knowledge, so be it." Vorgi slowly strutted outside of the classroom in a proud yet not flashy manner. She took one last look at the hatchling before heading away from the room.

((We're losing him! *defibrillates*! Yes, I know I'm not the most active OP but a lot of RPs I'm in are all trying to get back on track. We should too. Please let me know if you are leaving or cannot post at the moment!))

Sepisc had already waved off the name dilemma, thinking it an unfortunate time to discuss such issues. His goal was to safely deliver these hatchlings to Fable. The quicker he succeeded, the safer the three of them would be. "Kezspik, Luxiphere, why don't we discuss this as we walk? Names usually are quite nonsensical, but there are many with great meaning as well. But whichever it is, it should never affect you as a dragon.""

user posted image

"Oh, we're discussing names now?" Luxiphere asked. "I'm not sure who named me, but I know why: it's a combination of lux and atmosphere. Lux, for light, and atmosphere because I'm an amphiptere. As in, 'Light Amphiptere.' Fitting since I'm a Sunsong. So if we just found out what Keszpik's name meant, in the case that it's not gibberish, we might be one step closer to his identity."

"The one stolen from him," she thought bitterly.

"That's actually a good idea," Keszpik said approvingly. "Let's think. Fulgetrum and tonitrus are Latin, so whoever named me must've been smart."

"And considering that most dragons don't have four names, it's a good bet they were high up in society. Maybe even rich." Luxiphere imagined Keszpik being the decendent of some powerful family of nobles. His attitude and expectations certainly didn't rule out the theory. After all, Heraldic took memories, but not personalities. If he was raised to be stuck up then stuck up he would be. But the problem with this was that all members of Heraldic were nobodies before joining. Why would someone give up a life of luxury for what was basically a bunch of homeless hatchlings battling the government? She wanted to ask Keszpik, but he probably knew just about as much as anyone else in the ragtag trio, if not less considering it was his memory in question. She decided to just leave him for now and ask later.

user posted image

Dimakus nodded thoughtfully, already thinking of finding a map and going to this 'Scholary'. He looked up as the red Nebula left, juggling with the idea of yelling 'thanks' after her, but dismissed the thought. She had already left the room.

Dimakus glanced around the place once more, ignoring the other hatchlings and looking for a nearby map. His ears flicked involuntarily and the Magi hatchling trudged out of the room, gaze directed to the walls. Fortunately, there was a guide next to the entrance and Dimakus raised his head up to scan it over. Pinpointing the small lettering that indicated where the Scholary was, the Magi turned right and started on his path, replaying the route in his head over and over as he walked.

(Short post, just needed to say that I'm still around.)

user posted image

His original hype exhausted from his sprint down the halls, Jiiva had slowed down considerable, mellowed to no more than a quick trot. Several sets of footprints dotted the area, likely from other hatchlings that had boldly poked their noses outside after the blizzard Keszpik had been caught in, but sadly had returned from. If he had just disappeared then Jiiva wouldn't have ever met Alique and this dumb love triangle-square-circle-whatever would never have happened! Suddenly he shook his head in disgust. Such un-Jiiva-ish thoughts. He shouldn't be wishing ill on others. That was something Keszpik did, and those two were night and day. And no Fleshcrowne had ever been more grateful to be the day in that sort of situation.

Brushing away all the thoughts that troubled him, he bent his head down and sniffed the ground. Amongst the potpourri of prints, he detected a faint scent that consisted of Black scales and ink. Somewhere in that mix was Alique, he knew it, but the dilemma of actually finding her still reared its ugly head. He paused for a moment, trying to decide what to do. And, of course, when Jiiva did find the answer, he felt quite stupid. Well, more stupid than usual: all he had to do was look at the footprints! He had been relying on scent when had had a perfectly fine pair of eyes. After he tried looking things got incredibly easy. There were fat prints, deep prints, and lines left by amphipteres, but none were as distinguishable as the delicate strokes left by Alique.

He followed these like there were all he had. In reality, they were. Despite living in Menap most of his life Jiiva had to reluctantly admit he had no idea where the willow was.

When he got there, Alique was indeed sitting there. Tiny ice crystals wieghed down the branches of the tree and he had to wonder how it got the in the first place. A transplant, perhaps? Who knew. "Uh, hi, Alique," he began awkwardly. "You needed something? Or maybe you just wanted to talk. I... uh... don't really care which. I mean, I care about what you think! Of course! I just... oops. I'm not very good at this, am I?"

user posted image

Again, her mindless musings had been interrupted by the fleshcrowne, but again, she barely cared, if at all. Unlike her previous encounter with Jiiva, it wasn't a jolt that woke her up, and as a result, she was barely awake when he spoke to her. Of course, when you try to listen while in the conscious equivalent of sleeping, you don't hear anything. Of course, when you try to respond to something you didn't actually hear, it doesn't always make sense. "No, don't worry, everyone needs things, even if not everyone cares about other dragon's necessities. And some people don't care about what others think either. It's kinda rude, don't you think? Oh well, I guess not everyone is good at being nice." The odd bit of speech Alique had somehow put together made sense alone, but not as a reply to Jiiva. It was merely a few loosely connecting sentences based off of a few words her mind subconsciously registered, ending in an awkward jumble of ideas.

Edited by KoalaNoob

user posted image

Jiiva thought about Alique's words, and whether they were directed at him. It had started nice, but he wondered if he had irked his new friend. He didn't want to be sent back to the friend zone with Somniall. For two years that awkward situation had persisted; he wanted nothing more that to get out of the festering love triangle that generated mostly hate. He should really just stay away from girls in general. He did better around his elder, listening to stories of better times. What really interested him, however, was the gaps between the tales he heard. Seizing the chance to get a good bit of knowledge wherever he went, Jiiva would inevitably hear from non-Heraldic dragons. Even anti-Heraldic. He grudgingly had to admit Keszpik himself had an interesting enough range of views.

"Yeah, I suppose," he finally said. "But is it really so great to sugarcoat things? I mean, take Heraldic, for example:" he said, quoting his own thoughts, "How much do we really know about the people we almost blindly follow? I'm not saying all the near insane conspiracists out there are completely right, but you have to take what they say knowing that they may not be completely wrong, either. You, of all people, Alique, have a beautiful mind. Maybe a little scattered at times, but not stupid as some would say." Brail, for example. Jiiva had never liked him, and he didn't like others. Calling his students rats and imbeciles. "So," he continued, "I'm sure the thought has crossed you as well. Would you say Heraldic is evil, or that all this is truly the Council's fault?" He would have shared his own opinions first, if not for the fact that he didn't really have an opinion.

It was a tricky area, and Jiiva preferred things black and white. He was amazed he'd even had the guts to start such a deep conversation at all. He was a Fleshcrowne, after all. Not a breed known for things like literacy. And normally, he fit the criteria. But he just loved to talk and listen alike that sometimes he really just could not help himself. The bouncy, gullible hatchling could get into some serious rants if the situation turned in such a way.

user posted image

Quickly, almost as quickly as when she had crashed into Jiiva, Alique's focus shifted from whatever odd, obscure idea she had to his words. Of all the people she had met after being adopted by Heraldic, this fleshcrowne was the one dragon who said things interesting enough for her to focus on. There was nothing interesting about dramatic romance, or whatever surprisingly delicious meal had been served. Those things held no meaning, especially in the scheme of the world. Those things didn't matter, they just were. And even for those who's motto it was to "live in the present and enjoy life's simple pleasures," Alique didn't agree. Yes, they were pleasures, but at the same time, they were simple. There was nothing else to say or think about those things; understanding of it could never get past a surface level. Those were the things that the hatchling despised, though it never showed. Those things were part of the reason she chose to become so secluded, resting only in the company of her wild imagination. Though the other part was merely that the brainwashing had damaged her mind, Alique didn't care, at all. It wasn't much of a loss. But Jiiva, the things he said, so deceptively simple, were not. It was the simplicity of his ideas. Compared to some oh-so-important and so-called "complicated" things, what he had said could have been the work of a philosopher after years of thinking. The war wasn't important. It was just a war. Many would die, and life might be changed, but it was still just a war. Life would go on, and if one though ahead, past oneself and everything he or she knew, it wouldn't matter. Someday, it would become a relic of the past. But Jiiva's ideas on sugarcoating, on who was really right- pushed a little deeper, it was really quite and amazing thought, one that could be thought about and considered for the next millennia and not be solved.

"But sugarcoating isn't to make things easier to accept. It's to make dragons easier to trick. When you came to Heraldic, you stayed because they were kind to you and told you it was the right cause. If they had talked about war and battle and death, you would have run away, right? And we know lots about them. We know they want to defeat Fable, and that they've given shelter to dozens of hatchlings like us, only to send them into war. Isn't this all that's important? Their motives don't matter, what matters is what they're doing. Everything is working towards an unfathomable end result, and what happens in between the beginning and end is meaningless once everything is done. Even if they're wrong, if they're evil, it doesn't matter. It means nothing. You and I mean nothing. Nothing means anything, but while we're alive, we might as well do things, don't you think?" Finishing her exceedingly long ramble on her ideas of the world, where multiple sections made no sense and conflicted, Alique settled down, thinking of what she had said and anticipating Jiiva's hopefully intellectual reply. This was the conversation she always wanted. She was able to express most of her ideas, and she was allowed to think. Nowhere else had she been able to do this to such a satisfying level. Easily, this was the best moment of her life.

Edited by KoalaNoob