bbik

ANSWERED:One-Time-Only Holiday Unfreeze Option

Should users be able to unfreeze previously-limited Holidays?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've heard several people mention this idea, but I don't see a specific thread for it (unless it's merged/buried in one of the other huge holiday threads). Please link/lock if it's a duplicate.

Now that Christmas (or all holiday?) limits are removed, it could be nice to give older users an option to unfreeze the holidays they froze under the previous long-term understanding that the limit would only ever be two.

I see there being various options in how it could be limited (or not):

• User chooses on a dragon-by-dragon basis which ones to unfreeze
  • User gets an all-or-nothing option to unfreeze frozen holiday dragons
  • User can only unfreeze holiday dragons caught prior to December 17, 2013
  • User can only unfreeze CB holiday dragons
I would assume the limit would also extend to only unfreezing previously limited dragons (aka, Halloweens cannot be unfrozen, because you could always get tons of them).

I would think an unfrozen dragon would get a day or two added to its timer, so the user has time to ER it as necessary, rather than it immediately dying from lack of time/views. That would also give the user the option to refreeze it if the all-or-nothing option is used and they only wanted certain dragons to be unfrozen.

Edit for clarification/other ideas:

• Unfrozen dragons should either grow immediately, or should be locked to the original scroll (like GoNs), to prevent trading/abuse.
  • The page (or however it's done) should exist permanently, in case a user takes an extended break, but should only be functional once per user.
  • This page would be comparable to the meh page that was created when rare x rare breeding was implemented, which cleared out auto-refusals to allow users to try breeding those pairs again under the new breeding rules, or to the s1updater page that was created when S1 freezing was added, which allowed users to set ungendered frozen hatchlings to be permanently S1 regardless of their view/click totals.

Edit for other potential considerations (and/or irrelevant distractions, depending on your perpective):

• Pumpkins -- Should they also have the unfreeze option, since they were originally unbreedable?
  • Discontinued Breeds (Frills, Bright Pinks) -- Should they be included in the unfreezing, since the rules changed for them, much like they just did for holidays?
Edited by bbik

Please please please please please. I understand full well why unfreezing isn't something that can happen on a regular basis, but a one-time mercy unfreeze would be so nice (and result in many more lovely 2gs in the AP, I promise you that!).

I would also like to throw in a plea for a one-time Pumpkin unfreezing; at the time of their release, they were unbreedable, and lots of people chose to freeze one thinking that they'd never be obtainable again.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think it should definitely only be for stuff from before this Christmas. NO on the CB only, but YES on only past Christmas (and Valentine's, if they get the limit removed, too) dragons that had the limit on them previously.

While I LOVE this suggestion and would like to see it, I'm not so sure any sort of unfreezing makes sense logically. Maybe it does? I feel like it doesn't.

I guess there's the spike of "holiday magic" I've seen mentioned but still, magic doesn't seem like a viable reason all the time, especially for unfreezing.

When you say "one-time" I assume you mean just for the holiday part of the year, and not one time only in the history of DC. XD

I'd love this, I have frozen a lot of caveborns because I never knew (like anyone else) that the limits would be lifted. sleep.gif

If anything, I'd prefer the last option, but combined with the 3rd one also.

When you say "one-time" I assume you mean just for the holiday part of the year, and not one time only in the history of DC. xd.png

"One-time" as in, once you've used the option and decided what past limited holidays (Christmas definitely, and Valentine's as well if the limit removal applies there too) you want to unfreeze/keep frozen, that's the end of it. No going back and changing your mind later and decided you really wanted to unfreeze some others as well, or unfreeze some from this year after the fact, or something like that. I'm picturing a specific page for unfreezing, with a list of hatchlings with check boxes, and once you've submitted your selection, that's the end of that page's usefulness for you.

I'd love this, I have frozen a lot of caveborns because I never knew (like anyone else) that the limits would be lifted. -_-

If anything, I'd prefer the last option, but combined with the 3rd one also.

Please no CB ones... What if someone caught some off the AP and froze it that way? They wouldn't be able to unfreeze, if only CBs were considered.

bbik: Yeah, that's what I mean. But I also meant like "one-time" as in an event that only happens one time in DC's history, or if users years later that had frozen hatchlings could come in and unfreeze theirs during the holiday.

Yes yes yes! Total support. Nobody knew the limits would be lifted/removed one day - of course people based their decisions concerninng freezing on the fact there was a limit of two, so that idea seems very fair to me smile.gif I like this option the most: "User can only unfreeze holiday dragons caught prior to December 17, 2013".

:3

Please no CB ones... What if someone caught some off the AP and froze it that way? They wouldn't be able to unfreeze, if only CBs were considered.

Huh? If you catch a CB from the AP, it's still a CB. Why should it matter where it's caught?

bbik: Yeah, that's what I mean. But I also meant like "one-time" as in an event that only happens one time in DC's history, or if users years later that had frozen hatchlings could come in and unfreeze theirs during the holiday.

As for how long this proposed page would last, if it's added? That'd be up to TJ. Ideally, long enough for at least most active players to find it, but whether it's permanent or not is less of an issue, in my mind. Perhaps through Valentine's Day would be a good duration, so people have at least two holidays to realize there's been a change and act on it.

Edited by bbik

I don't really see the point in unfreezing the non-caveborns. Most people only freeze messies anyways. To me, it's only the cb ones that count (to continue stairsteps and such). Otherwise I doubt that this suggestion would even go through. Unless someone froze something that was bred from a spriter's alt (which I doubt would ever happen) I would see no reason why anyone would regret freezing a lineaged one. Did this make any sense? No? Okay. ._.

I don't really see the point in unfreezing the non-caveborns. Most people only freeze messies anyways. To me, it's only the cb ones that count (to continue stairsteps and such). Otherwise I doubt that this suggestion would even go through. Unless someone froze something that was bred from a spriter's alt (which I doubt would ever happen) I would see no reason why anyone would regret freezing a lineaged one. Did this make any sense? No? Okay. ._.

Well, I do have a frozen 2nd gen Yulebuck which I would have let grow instead of freezing if I had known we'd get no limits one day, to be honest... ^^;

Of course CBs would be more important to me to unfreeze, but I don't see why it's a problem to let people unfreeze their lineaged ones either if this can be implemented, because in any case back then users made choices knowing they could keep only two: set collectors may have frozen good-lineaged ones which they'd rather see being adults now.

I agree that this should happen. Frozen CBs, at the very least, should be able to be unfrozen since the limits have been lifted.

I feel that it would be best for the dragons to simply grow up the instant they are unfrozen. That would prevent people from trading past CBs.

Huh? If you catch a CB from the AP, it's still a CB. Why should it matter where it's caught?

As for how long this proposed page would last, if it's added? That'd be up to TJ. Ideally, long enough for at least most active players to find it, but whether it's permanent or not is less of an issue, in my mind. Perhaps through Valentine's Day would be a good duration, so people have at least two holidays to realize there's been a change and act on it.

I mean when you catch the bred ones the next year and happened to freeze those to keep one Christmas dragon as a hatchling.

I actually had it in mind to freeze hatchlings this year for my Christmas dragons because I thought that they would still be limited and I wanted the hatchling sprites, only of course the hatchlings would be from the AP because I missed several years. But of course the limits were removed...

No, that's STILL not what I mean exactly. I mean, what I gather is the holiday magic would give users a chance to unfreeze some holiday dragon from before this Christmas that previously had a limit. I thought the chance would open up right around Christmas and right around Valentine's (if Valentine's also end up with lifted limits). They would only last for like a day or something at each time. Or I guess the page could be accessed at any time, but only used once per person.

But would it last for ALL time? Yes, you only get to use it the ONE time per person, but would the page exist till the end of time is my question, so that way anyone who was inactive for a year could do it, instead of this unfreezing event happening on only one day.

Also I agree with PieMaster that they should grow up immediately.

I am most definitely on the side of "no unfreezing" when it *normally* comes up, but in this special circumstance I support 100%.

It's really just the fair thing to do. In earlier years, people had to make hard decisions to freeze or not, *based on* the knowledge, told by TJ, that we'd only ever be able to have 2 of that breed. Since that fact has now changed, I can only imagine how many people are frustrated at what they froze before.

I definitely think it should *not* be limited to CBs, however. A 2-limit is a 2-limit no matter what the lineage; It can hurt just as much to realize you've frozen a really pretty 3rd-gen for nothing.

edit: Of course there will have to be some in-cave reason for how we can do this, blah blah, but since freezing is specifically a *spell*, I don't think that would be too hard to come up with.

Edited by Marie19R

Definitely in support of this. This would not affect me, but to me it's the same thing as when rare x rare breedings were allowed and the /meh page was installed to remove previous refusals. It just seems fair. However, I think that the unfrozen hatchlings should either become adults immediately or blocked from Teleport links. Otherwise, there could easily be room for abuse.

Support! I don't have any frozen holidays that I want to unfreeze personally, but I know lots of people would probably wish they hadn't frozen some of theirs now that the limits are lifted.

I definitely support it being a one-time only thing.

Edited by Renorei

I support this, most definitely(unfortunately, I've long since released my handful of CB frozens).

However, I believe any hatchlings that would be 'unfrozen' should grow up right after or be locked to your scroll in someway(like GONs)

This wouldn't affect me personally, but I also support it and agree that it should be a one-time thing, solely for holidays, and the hatchlings should grow up immediately. This is a special circumstance, and it seems to be the most fair way to handle the situation.

I totally Support this 100%. I personally have never frozen a Holiday dragon, though I have thought about it once or twice. I think that a lot of people would have frozen some of their CB/nice-lineaged holidays if they had known that there would be a chance to have more then two on their scroll.

If they were to have the temporary action, "Thaw" (which would be the opposite of 'freeze') then as someone else said, we would see a lot of nicer lineaged holidays in the cave. the few that I did catch on my own I ended up throwing back because they lineages were really messy.

Not everyone was here every year. both my Yulebucks are non-caveborn. If this was an option why should it matter if the dragon is CB or not? Though, honestly, I'll be fine either way. I don't pay much attention to linages, but others do.

Not everyone was here every year. both my Yulebucks are non-caveborn. If this was an option why should it matter if the dragon is CB or not? Though, honestly, I'll be fine either way. I don't pay much attention to linages, but others do.

Well, CBs were obtainable only once (thus making the freezing of them the only truly unrecoverable thing), whereas lineaged ones can be gotten at any time (how hard it is to get certain lineages, of course, is up for debate xd.png). That being said, I'd be fine with letting all past Holidays be unfrozen uniformly.

Support,,though it won't effect me. Completionist froze based on a set of rules that no longer apply. Though I think it should be all and over a limited amount of time. Also, it should start in a week or two and the hatchies should be untradeable.

Well, CBs were obtainable only once (thus making the freezing of them the only truly unrecoverable thing), whereas lineaged ones can be gotten at any time (how hard it is to get certain lineages, of course, is up for debate XD). That being said, I'd be fine with letting all past Holidays be unfrozen uniformly.

So? They were still frozen when it was said that you could only have TWO.

Being caveborn or lineaged SHOULD NOT matter. It should just matter that the dragon was frozen before limits were lifted. Because maybe that person wants to continue a lineage or something.

So? They were still frozen when it was said that you could only have TWO.

Being caveborn or lineaged SHOULD NOT matter. It should just matter that the dragon was frozen before limits were lifted. Because maybe that person wants to continue a lineage or something.

I'm going to agree with this side. I have a lineaged frozen yulebuck, because I only thought I would be able to have two and like many people I wanted a hatchling. I don't regret freezing it but if given the chance, I would unfreeze it. My sweetling is a different story though, and that is the one dragon I seriously could go back in time and prevent from being frozen

I think I had brought this subject up before in the "remove holiday limits" thread and I'm sure people have mentioned it before. I think it should be a one time option and an option that will remain there until it's used. That way if older players who quit come back, they too will have the option and won't be missing out. I also think the hatchlings should instantly grow up, no matter the amount of views. As for a DC logic standpoint, a rare "counter-spell with limited uses" works fine with me. I mean there doesn't really need to be a logic. We have raffles and eggs come from nowhere. The GoN is at least summoned. There's not much logic or explaining that's needed.