TJ09

2013-12-25 - Happy Holidays!

The Winter Solstice is NOT the same as Christmas. The spirit of Christmas is not something exclusive to Christmas either; it is given that name at times, but what it is is plain old generosity.

And better yet, there's a Summer Solstice AND Winter Solstice. I found this description of the Solstice:

A solstice is an astronomical event that occurs twice each year as the Sun reaches its highest or lowest excursion relative to the celestial equator on the celestial sphere. As a result, on the day of the solstice, the Sun appears to have reached its highest or lowest annual altitude in the sky above the horizon at local solar noon. The solstices, together with the equinoxes, are connected with the seasons. In many cultures the solstices mark either the beginning or the midpoint of winter and summer.

In this case, since the dragon is released during the winter, I'm going with Winter Solstice. I'm inclined to agree with Fuzz here, and say the Solstice is not so much a Christmas dragon as it is, the way I see it, a dragon who represents the turning of seasons and the highest (for the Southern hemisphere) or lowest point (for the Nothern hemisphere) of the Sun. Albeit this differs from the Seasonal Dragons.

The Solstice is also much older than Christmas. This moment in time was already celebrated in the Stone age, if my information is correct.

Personally, I think Odeen's description of the Solstice dragons' behaviour relates more to the Midwinter sun. After all, she writes (among other things):

Many who look upon the spectacle find renewed hope, knowing that with the flight of the Solstice dragons the days will soon begin to lengthen and warmth and light will return to the world with the changing of the seasons.

Personally, I think Odeen's description of the Solstice dragons' behaviour relates more to the Midwinter sun. After all, she writes (among other things):

That bit really resonates with me - the shorter Winter days really depress me, but the solstice always makes me feel better because I know that the days will start getting longer again. I can perfectly understand why it was a cause for celebration back in the day. *huggles Solstice babies*

Oh yeah, I can totally imagine that too! Even with todays electricity which gives us light well into the night......

While the Winter Solstice may not have any cultural, meteorological, or astrological relation to Christmas, this breed was released on Christmas. Therefore, it counts as a Christmas/holiday dragon. There isn't really a point in arguing that it's not.

Anyway, thank you Odeen for making these antlered and fluffy from day one.

The generic wording for all the Christmas dragons (as in, dragons released on Christmas day) goes like this:

"Christmas dragons are a very mysterious breed. They are only seen during winter, and even then it is hard to catch a glimpse of one. They are responsible for the general cheer that spreads during the holidays. In essence, they are the “Spirits of Christmas.”"

To me, it sounds secular. I suppose if the word "Christmas" itself is the issue, it could be reworded like this for the Solstice dragon:

"Winter holiday dragons are very mysterious breeds. They are only seen during winter, and even then it is hard to catch a glimpse of one. They are responsible for the general cheer that spreads during the holidays. In essence, they are the "Spirits of the Season.""

I don't personally see a difference between the two, because as I understand it, Christmas (as used in DC descriptions) is a word to describe the day of the dragon release (Dec. 25th) and the cultural, secular interpretation of Christmas as a time for celebration, cheer, and generosity. There's nothing about Christ or an Abrahamic god figure involved, and it's a major and commonly recognized holiday in many of the countries of DC players. And, as the dragons are released on Christmas day, it makes sense to me to call them Christmas dragons, or Christmas release dragons, or something along those lines.

HOWEVER -- if the altered description above would sit better with players who feel left out at the moment, then why not make the change? Or, why not start giving the Christmas release breeds their own breed-specific descriptions, like all the other dragons have, including other holidays like Halloween dragons? And I *do* understand not wanting to attribute one's own holiday cheer and generosity to "the Spirit of this holiday I don't celebrate."

While the Winter Solstice may not have any cultural, meteorological, or astrological relation to Christmas, this breed was released on Christmas. Therefore, it counts as a Christmas/holiday dragon. There isn't really a point in arguing that it's not.

Basically this. My dragons are inspired by the Solstice, but they are a Christmas dragon release - which makes them Christmas dragons. I'd rather people not argue about whether or not they should share the descriptions of the other Christmas dragons when I did not submit a special description for them and TJ did not ask me for one. If TJ wants to change their description, I will gladly write one, but I don't see a problem with how the dragon is displayed now.

Edited by Odeen

Not too sure where this thread has gone with the semantics and all..

Fairly simple for me - they are super gorgeous and thank you so much for the new christmas dragon wub.gif Simply superb.

The new draagons are beautiful! Nice job, sprite artists.

I've named mine Snow Rise

I *really* like the name! Snow Rise... like a sunrise or moonrise... so perfect for midwinter!

Not too sure where this thread has gone with the semantics and all..

Fairly simple for me - they are super gorgeous and thank you so much for the new christmas dragon wub.gif Simply superb.

But this is DC! Apparently nothing can be discussed here without it turning into some epic argument about obscure semantics, absurd hyperbole or kittehs. rolleyes.gif

This makes me glad the limit has been lifted on bred holiday eggs. Cause I am going to collect the crap out of this dragon next year. I want an army of them.

I'll stop at five since that's what Odeen said was the max group they live in. A couple daughters and unrelated females sounds nice.

But this is DC! Apparently nothing can be discussed here without it turning into some epic argument about obscure semantics, absurd hyperbole or kittehs. rolleyes.gif

Trying to better include people who celebrate other holidays rather than Christmas is hardly "obscure semantics". I am not actually one who doesn't - but that thread in January really made me think about inclusiveness.

Is all.

I agree with you, Fuzz. If some of us feel worse for the descriptions as they are now, then why not voice it? It's not as if insults or accusations are thrown around.

I prefer to distance myself as much as possible from the religious side of any holiday too, so this bell rings with me as well. (And to be honest: the only thing the word "Christmas" reminds me of is unbridled consumerism - nothing I want to associate with these beauties.)

Also, I'd really love to see all this information whenever I take a look at my holiday dragons. As it is now, I have to hunt around for it on the wiki. For me, this takes away from the uniqueness of each of the holiday breeds.

Other topic:

The concept art and description of this breed are absolutely beautiful!

Thank you so much, Odeen, for sharing your work with us! wub.gif

Trying to better include people who celebrate other holidays rather than Christmas is hardly "obscure semantics". I am not actually one who doesn't - but that thread in January really made me think about inclusiveness.

Is all.

*highlights absurd hyperbole in own post*

*wanders back out again holding a kitteh*

I agree with Fuzz smile.gif

We celebrate Christmas here too, although I've got the feeling the last several years it's all more about the "$". The true meaning of Christmas/Solstice/Whatever is more and more lost to people. Or at least that's how it feels.

Anyway, back on topic, like Odeen stated herself, since the dragons were released with Christmas, I guess that's what makes them fall in the Christmas category smile.gif For me, they'll be more Solstice than Christmas, but perhaps that doesn't matter. We all have an attachment to some kind of dragon for one reason or the other.

Odeen, thanks again for creating this wonderful dragon. I love it! be it a Christmas dragon, Solstice Dragon or whatever other kind of holiday everyone celebrates, it's festive, colorful and with a lovely background smile.gif

Edited by Sheriziya

Wow, I really do like this new dragon. The coloration & everything else looks spectacular, very wintery/Christmassy. I'm definitely getting a Kirin vibe of some sort from this new design.

With the glowing (orb?) that's between it's antlers I can't help but visualize this as being a "The Endless Forest " (TEF to those that play the game) creature that would majestically roam the forest, spreading the holiday spirit as it goes. That's just what I thought upon first glance.

Nicely done!

Edit:

Oh gosh, you've got to love the debate team that has to rear it's head every time something like this happens. You guys make me chuckle laugh.gif

Edited by BlazingAces

*highlights absurd hyperbole in own post*

*wanders back out again holding a kitteh*

wub.gif s Amazon_warrior wub.gif

OMG, they are BEAUTIFUL! biggrin.gif

As for the Christmas/Solisice thing; imo, the Solstice came before Christmas. Thus this breed to me is an ancient one and thus most appropriate for the season. It doenst matter if they only appear on Christmas; they are still beautiful!

Cant wait til next year to breed and hoard these lovelies! biggrin.gif

I think this beauty is my favorite dragon ever. I am in awe. I hope next year, she's no-limit like the older dragons this year, because I want to go hogwild and collect dozens of her. Just... WOW.

Basically this. My dragons are inspired by the Solstice, but they are a Christmas dragon release - which makes them Christmas dragons. I'd rather people not argue about whether or not they should share the descriptions of the other Christmas dragons when I did not submit a special description for them and TJ did not ask me for one. If TJ wants to change their description, I will gladly write one, but I don't see a problem with how the dragon is displayed now.

i love your dragons they are beautiful