Sweet_Wyvern

The Blacksmith and the Apothecary

It was now Tony's turn to wince. He may have had many flings, but he understood his it could hurt to lose a wife. "I'm sorry," he said respectfully. "It's rather kind of you, to do what you do." There were never enough healers, not just in their town but in general. For someone like him to push through such a tragedy- he was a very kindhearted man. "I'm not any more special than you are. I grew up here and learned to use a forge, now I'm the best blacksmith in town. Or anywhere. Don't let anyone tell you different," he said with a finger waggle. "Never married, frequent the taverns, that sort of thing."

Bruce found himself smiling again, although there was a touch of sadness to it as he remembered his wife, his eyes slightly glazed. ¨Thank you. I feel perhaps that if I knew what I know now, about medicine and herbs, that I could have saved her. Pneumonia... People tell me it is unlikely, but...I still believe there was a chance," he said, mulling over old memories. He blinked and shifted his gaze back to Tony, a warm chuckle rumbling in his chest at the other's words. He knew the type of men that he spoke of, knew the stereotype, but...Tony didn't seem to fit into his preconceived image perfectly. The blacksmith seemed much kinder than he gave himself credit for. ¨I saw you fight out there, saw how you led those men, how you looked out for them. You are quite special, I think. Whereas I merely succeeded and getting my ass handed to me," he half-joked.

Tony followed an instinct and gently touched Bruce's arm as he spoke of his late wife. It was obviously a sore subject, so he was glad to steer away from it. Waving a hand dismissively, he replied, "I've been drafted by the kingdom before. It isn't my first walk in the woods, so to speak. I just prefer not to fight," he replied, smiling slightly at his joke.

Bruce hummed quietly in acknowledgement and amusement at Tony's words, smiling as the blacksmith pressed a comforting hand against his arm. He appreciated the gesture, knowing it to be sincere. "Well, at any rate, I feel a bit safer knowing that you are ready to answer your kingdom's call. You saved many lives last night, Sir Stark, mine included. I hope I will be able to repay you for that."

Tony still shook his head in modesty. His fighting prowess was the thing he didn't gloat about, because he just felt like it wasn't worth being proud of. "I assure you that payment is not necessary, but if you insist on it, I would come to call on you the next time I have a mishap in the forge. Which is.. More often than I care to admit," he replied, examining his scarred hands. Burnt more times than he could count.

Bruce chuckled softly and nodded affirmatively. "That would be the least I could do. Burns are not something to be trifled with, and I would be more than willing to treat them for you," he assured. This man had saved his life, and he was forever endebted to him for that. "Of course, I would have treated your burns for you before last night regardless, so what else might I do to repay you?" he questioned

Tony really didn't want anyone to be indebted to him. Seriously- the guy was being really sweet, but he didn't want or need anything. He saved his life, end of story. "I can't think of anything but I assure you there is no need," he insisted. Somehow he got the feeling that this was going to go on for quite a while if they didn't reach an agreement. "Have a drink with me then, when you're better. Well, you'll drink something else I suppose and I'll have the alcohol, but my point is that you should come to a tavern with me."

Bruce blinked, not having expected a request like that, but nonetheless, he nodded in agreement. "Of course...that would be nice, I think. I have only ever been in the tavern to help those of," he paused, making a face as he tried to come up with the right word, "...lesser minds who find the need to pick fights with other patrons, and treat their wounds for them. Perhaps joining a -well, it might be a bit soon to presume we are friends of any sort- an acquaintance for a drink."

Tony was silent for a beat, then began to laugh as he caught up with what Bruce was saying. "You've only been in taverns to tend to the drunkards? Oh, you are most definitely coming with me. It's not the most elegant place in the world, but you just might enjoy it," he said when he finally caught his breath back. He liked to think they'd be friends soon.

Bruce chuckled softly along with Tony, feeling a modest sense of pride for having made the other laugh, and he nodded. "I look forward to it," he told him, surprising himself with how genuine he was being. Normally he would abhor the thought of stepping foot in a pub, but perhaps with Tony it wouldn't be so bad.

Tony turned so he could look at Bruce, a small grin on his face as he waggled his eyebrows. "And, you lucky man, you will be privileged to see the master at work. Women love me and I might teach you a trick or two," he deadpanned, a joke. Or he'd make a fool of himself and Bruce would have to drag him home; either way, a grand night for the duo.

Bruce suppressed an eye-roll. "Yes, I'm sure that is exactly how our night will go. Forgive me if I don't jump at the chance of taking home some bar wench or an old widow, Sir Stark," he replied jokingly, chuckling softly at the other.

Huffing, Tony gave a shrug. "Well alright, you don't have to take someone home. Goodness knows I've turned down a few of those in my day. But perhaps you could, if you'll excuse the slang, be my 'wing man'. Its a sort of new term I came up with, do you like it? The title for a man who aides his friend in taking home a beautiful woman. Like a wing supports a bird, the wing man supports his friend- do you like it?" He rambled.

(New head canon: Tony Stark coins the term 'wing man' in medieval times)

(*cackles* headcanon accepted)

Bruce listened to Tony's rambling, taking it in stride and even chuckling a bit at the term. It was oddly comforting, having another around that bounced ideas off of you, that allowed you to listen to what went on in their head. "Sounds interesting. Wing man..." he mused, enunciating the word carefully, as if to try it out to see how to felt on his lips.

Tony nodded in earnest, clearly pleased that Bruce seemed to like the new term. Tony was such a genius! "Yes, I'm quite happy you like it. I was originally going to go with 'wench watcher', but it seemed a pinch too obvious. And, well, insulting," he added with a noncommittal lift of his shoulders. He wasn't joking this time, he had honestly considered that at one point. As for spending any amount of time thinking of these things, his excuse was that the forge was lonely and he often got bored.

Bruce laughed, but had to stop himself as he jostled one of his injuries. He winced, but retained his smile, both in reaction to Tony's rambling, and to let the other know that he was just fine. "I agree that 'wing man' is much better. Much more agreeable, I think," he told him.

Tony looked him over carefully as he winced, but he looked fine. For someone who nearly died, he was doing a lot better now. Tony yawned and shifted his position, agreeing, "I knew I made the right choice. But beyond that, there are ways to have fun in a tavern besides picking up women and drinking. I'm not a complete drunkard." Usually.

Bruce pursed his lips, unable to think of anything else beside those two options. Not that he was the expert, but it seemed like those were the only two things that taverns had to offer. "I believe you, but would you care to give me a few examples?" he inquired, quirking a brow.

"People watching, for one. Just because you don't get into a fight doesn't mean they aren't fun to watch. If you go to the right places, they have good meals. Occasionally music. Dancing, though I most assuredly do not dance," Tony said, ticking off his finger. He could probably think of more but he was tired, and wondered absently now much Bruce would care if he just leaned his head back right here and went to sleep.

Bruce narrowed his eyes, considering what Tony said. He wasn't really much for violence unless in the use of self defense, but the food and music sounded promising enough. He seemed to perk up at his last point, chuckling again at the mental image of Tony dancing. "I suppose that's something we have in common," Bruce mused with a smirk, "I also do not dance. Not in the slightest." He studied the other for a moment, and he saw the weariness on the blacksmith's expression, the lines and the dark smudges under his eyes. He suddenly realized that the knight most likely hadn't slept at all last night, continuing to fight off the pack and helping to dispose of their corpses. Not only was he exhausted, but he was wasting precious energy fretting over the old apothecary, and Bruce's expression became strained with guilt. "You should sleep, Sir Stark," he said firmly.

Eyes half lidded, Tony's only intelligible response was a 'hmmm?' Then he took a moment and processed what had been said before sitting up. "What? Oh, I mean- well I wanted to keep you company. I'm sure you're bored of sleeping and sitting in bed already and I thought perhaps I'd take your mind off things, honestly I've had less sleep before," he said in a breath, which was impressive. Sure he was tired, he'd sleep on the floor if need be, but again he felt the need to make sure the apothecary was well tended to. He didn't always get to save people, this time he did. It meant something. Plus, it was in his nature to forego eating and sleeping.

Bruce blinked as Tony's words came out in a rush, his brain whirring to catch up. "Sir...I don't really mind. Sleeping is probably for the best, for both of us. It is not as if I am going anywhere in this state," he countered gently, not wanting to argue with the other, but simply wanting Tony to take care of himself properly.

Somehow Tony knew he was right. He didn't want him to be, but he was. "Fine, but I'm only listening because you're a doctor, so it must be important for my health," he huffed, removing a vest and folding it up under his head like a pillow. "I will not, however, leave you, and I will not take the kind lady's bed," he added, waving a dismissive hand in the direction of a second room. He was already dozing off by the time his hand came back down to rest on his stomach again.

Bruce's lips twitched triumphantly as the blacksmith agreed and began to drift off to sleep, and he watched him for a moment, just to make sure the other was alright. He then shifted his gaze toward the ceiling, since he didn't have many other options. He might as well try and get some rest, he supposed. It wasn't as if he could go anywhere or do his job at the moment, and if Tony was resting... With a sigh, he settled down as if to sleep again, soon slipping under, his own light snores mingling with the sound of Tony's deep, even breaths.

The next time Tony woke, sunlight was streaming merrily through the window and into his eyes. As soon as they opened he clenched them shut with a hiss, rolling over and then rubbing them profusely. Why the hell did his back hurt so badly? He chanced a peek, and after seeing that he was out of range for the sun's beams, he cracked his eyes open. It was then that he remembered where he was, why he was sleeping on the floor. "There is a soup on the fire for you and your friend, so long as you go wash up," came a female voice from behind him. He started, only relaxing when he recognized their new host. "Oh, ah, thank you I suppose. Such a generous woman," he replied smoothly, winking as he lurched to his feet. He could see why she wanted him to bathe- he was coated in dried blood and dirt.