edwardelricfreak

Steven Universe!

I think for all extents and purposes, gems are female. After all, Rose Quartz got pregnant and gave birth to Steven. But it's certainly possible that they can shapeshift to whichever they want, they just default female. *shrug*

And taking anything from the wiki is YMMV(Your Mileage May Vary) because anyone can edit that, and do. Remember when the Mayor came to visit their house and asked for his 'sisters'? (Nevermind he called Pearl the 'hot one' lol) And Steven asked them to be his 'mom'. (Spoiled because uh... specifics?) They're regarded as female, and have used female pronouns to describe each other. It could just mean that gender doesn't really mean anything since they don't reproduce among themselves, it's only what they're associated with by outside forces, like humans. So I think they are all 'female' but that 'female' is meaningless to them.

Edited by zaverxi

Yes, I was just saying that, while yes, they do use genders, I just wanted to give the "Straight" fans something to work with, ya know? I think that, in gem birth, they start of with no gender, but then they "pick" a gender they want, thus, proving that they don't really have genders, but they do. I don't really know how to explain it, but I hope you understand.

Though, I must say, I don't know how they pulled off a relationship like that! You would think the compainy would say "No!", but I guess they found an agreemeet! (Then again, if you look at the "Adventure time" episodes, they don't really care much about their cencorship. T_T)

But, anyway, I must say that I love the relationship between Ruby and Shappier!

Made

ooooooooof

looooooooove.

Too lazy to white text - there are spoilers in this post.

Yes, I was just saying that, while yes, they do use genders, I just wanted to give the "Straight" fans something to work with, ya know?

Don't straight fans have Steven/Connie and Rose Quartz/Greg? Straight fans have plenty of relationships in plenty of shows. And there's no reason straight fans can't find Ruby and Sapphire as adorable as the rest of us do. o________O Please don't try and erase Ruby/Sapphire because queer kids have so little representation as is. </3 They are never told that it is okay for them to be them. This was such an important moment for them. <3

~

Finally caught up on Steven Universe! and oooooohhhhh myyyyyyy gooooooooossssshhhh everything is breaking my heart oh my gosh everything is cute and the show got all deep and awwwww

Like, dang, Pear had/has it baaaaad for Rose Quartz. So cute. Poor Pearl. For the first time, I really felt like she was a character I could get behind. I loved exploring this depth to her and the amount of grief she carries around is just so sad. I'm glad she could talk to Steven. <3

Ruby and Sapphire were peeeeeerfect. I LOVE Garnet and now I love and adore her more.

Also, awesome showdown between gems! When Steven started crying because he couldn't shield the gems, that was so sweet. Poor Steven. @_@ I find Lapis kind of annoying but I felt really bad for her on that ship and her sacrifice was so amazing and incredible. Poor Lapis. Her and Jasper really are bad together. And Dr. Paine - yeah seriously, wow that was... painful to watch. For personal reasons. They definitely have fully equated fusions with relationships by now.

(Also Jasper is just a biiiiiiit terrifying, wow.)

Also some more gem history was awesome to learn!

I am really getting into this show and the idea of gem aliens. They have just done so much with this show I didn't expect. It's great. <3

im more curious about the "overcooked runt" and pearl comments.

Overcooked runt I'm sure corresponds to Amethyst being created in Kindergarten. The Gem wiki theorized: ""Some lost, defective Pearl", this heavily implies that there may be more than one type of pearl on the Homeworld or that they have met before." for the lost, defective Pearl comments. My thoughts is that we'll get to hear more of Pearl's history soon now that we've been told Amethyst's background and about Garnet and we might get more insight behind this comment. Or perhaps it refers to her being the only 'respectable' gem in Jasper's eyes and a traitor due to siding with the Crystal Gems and Earth.

Please don't try and erase Ruby/Sapphire because queer kids have so little representation as is.

Um....erase them? 0_o When did I say that, or how did I say that? What I meant was,

I was trying to let the "Straight" fans...um...how do I explain this...um....I don't know how to explain this! -3- Anyway, I just wanted an idea or something put out there. I don't know. -3-

Anyway, let's talk about something else, Ok? ('cause I have no idea what I am even doing. -3-)

(And yeah, I know that kids can't really do anything to....big, ya know? I just wanted to point some thing out. I don't wanna talk about this anymore, so if you don't mind, can we talk about something else?)

I think what she meant by erasing was, let it be what it is, don't try and explain it away to make the straight fans happy.

Analogy: One kid has 3 toys, the other one has 2. Someone gives the second kid a toy, and the first kid pitches a fit because that kid wanted another toy too, even though it made them equal.

Let the non-straight fans have their toy.

yessss ruby is confirmed to fall in with the rest of the Gems and use she/her

-cough- that info aside who's excited for the next episode? biggrin.gif The next few, from what I've seen, are technically standalones/season 1 episodes that got bumped for various reasons, so maybe we'll finally get a break from the emotional beatings xd.png

Steven Bomb was a lot of fun and I think the new concepts that were introduced to the audience are really interesting.

On fusing: I think that, while fusing itself is not frowned upon, STAYING fused is. Jasper said that fusion was just a 'cheap trick to make weak gems stronger', so by staying fused, it could be thought that the two gems are hiding their weakness, and that's frowned upon.

On 'overcooked runt' and 'lost, defective, etc': Someone brought up that Amethyst is a crystalline quartz gem, while Jasper is a non-crystalline quartz. They might be related in some way to one another. Also, Amethyst is very small while the rest of the holes in the kindergarten were quite large, and it's implied that she missed the pickup that came for the rest of the kindergarten gems. Otherwise why would she have been there all alone until she met Rose? If she'd emerged from the hole at the same time as the other gems she would have gone with them. So she was 'overcooked'.

Edited by Jackal

Ahhh I've only seen like 10 episodes of SU, but I have fallen in love with it. I'm waiting for it to come on Netflix because other websites don't work on mobile or don't have apps. And oh my god, canon nonbinary representation. I will literally fight anyone who tries to take this away from me. I just...it makes my heart swell, having characters I can identify with. ;v;

Any episode without the gems in it seems to be not worth watching. Open Book was lame.

Recently got into/caught up with this and I wuv it. I personally enjoyed Open Book, relentless ship-teasing and all. The description of how the Unfamiliar Familiar progressed is just too close to home.

... That pink, cuddly room is going to be the death of Steven some day...

I really liked Open Book xd.png I watch all the new episodes with my brothers, and when Connie was going on about the ending I was just groaning 'I have been Steven and Connie' xd.png Nice little breather after the Bomb, and it's cute to see Steven's a relentless shipper/fanartist tongue.gif

Pearl is my least favorite Crystal Gem, but I've finally uploaded these great screenies I have to share (linked for size):

http://36.media.tumblr.com/9518c27a71e1d93...zlgjo1_1280.png

I laughed so hard at disappointed unicorn Pearl. This was great. xP

http://41.media.tumblr.com/9b0448487ea3d58...zlgjo1_1280.png

OH MY GOSH I love top hat Pearl. Great aesthetic. <3 She's so adorbs here.

I personally am enjoying yelling "happy little lesbian space rocks!" at my friends at random points during the day. I'm pretty sure everyone in my class wants to strangle me by now. I'm not sure how to feel about the upcoming Steven Universe/Uncle Grandpa Crossover…

With the crossover... I believe in the writers xd.png And if it's junk, tbh I'm pretty sure there won't be long lasting implications anyway so it'll probably be an easy one to write off.

and lol gay space rocks i'm actually in the middle of a Ruby/Sapphire drawing |D

So, who's excited for Joy Ride tomorrow? biggrin.gif My theory is we might be seeing more of a certain handless green nerd, given one of the preview images...

Ruby? Sapphire? Lapis? Darn, gotta find some way to catch up! REBECCA SUGER, YOU WILL NEVAH HIDE YOUR SECRETS FROM ME! NEVAH!!!

Why do I call myself a fan if I fail to watch it ;-;

i doubt the crossover will be canon and have any long lasting effects. im just wondering how it's going to look considering UG has a highly unappealing art style as opposed to SU's. that probably wont blend well. i wonder who's responsible for the crossover in the first place.

Edited by Switch

could I ask a favour of the other Steven Universe fans on DC

I just finished claiming the lyrics to Stronger Than You and I was hoping for someone to look over them to check I've got them right

their on name-holders, the Electrics and Waverunners at the top of my scroll

I'd be very grateful for the help

well the preview for the crossover confirmed my suspicion that it would only serve to amplify how bad UG's character design is haha

OMG someone needs to pm me a catch up of this show, or guide me to a mobile friendly app to watch it. I have missed /so/ much!

I'm not going to watch this week's. I have no interest in crossovers with other lame cartoons.

I'm more interested in when the next 'season' will start. With actual storyline that isn't 'Steven does stupid stuff'

Welp, the crossover's gonna be canon and I don't know how I feel about that. Still, I've never watched Uncle Grandpa before, so I'm going to keep an open mind about the episode. From what I can tell from the preview/hate, it seems to be one of those shows that depend on randomness? Whatever the case, I have faith in the writers.

Ugh, I really dislike Uncle Grandpa, so this crossover is a huge bummer to hear about. I'll try it, but I just don't know how anyone can make UG good.