I think the best way to not want babies is to be roommates with people who have babies and toddlers. So you can't parent, there is no bond that makes them more tolerable, you don't get to spoil them then send them home, you just have to sit there and deal with the monsters they created everyday all the time. You get to look at all the stressors and obstacles a child creates on every aspect of someone's life objectively.

And don't even dare to try to give advice or even complain about babies/kids if you've never had them, because you can't possibly know that giving a child whatever it wants when it throws a tantrum is the reason it's always throwing a tantrum when it wants something because YOU'VE never had a kid rolleyes.gif. Apparently having a kid for a few years trumps conditioning theories, all parenting literature, logic, etc.

What I do find promising is that so many people appear to not want children. If we're being completely honest here, it's probably not from the societal areas that have the biggest impact on the overpopulation crisis, but hey-- it's a start.

It's a start to what, though. A Start so that our society, our culture stops existing and other cultures take over. Yes, there are enough Chinese and Indians to make up for most of the world. It's still not the same as people getting kids here and them stopping their population increase.

Every culture has its place - but I would very much hate for one to eliminate the other just to even out the population.

I think she means "us" as in she has more than one personality tongue.gif

Which is highly distracting the the conversation and seems kind of fake (especially given that most people with DID aren't aware of the presence of alternative personalities) but I digress.

Regarding population control, I think that China actually has the right idea there and that more nations should be looking that direction. On the other hand, education seems to be the biggest factor in limiting births so that's probably a better angle of attack for the overpopulation issue.

It's a start to what, though. A Start so that our society, our culture stops existing and other cultures take over. Yes, there are enough Chinese and Indians to make up for most of the world. It's still not the same as people getting kids here and them stopping their population increase.

Every culture has its place - but I would very much hate for one to eliminate the other just to even out the population.

I don't think children dictate whether or not a culture continues to exists, though. Not unless they are extremely sheltered. If your children dislike your culture and think living by the ways of some other culture is much better/easier it'll die out just as easy as not having any children.

Personally with the internet and the ease of travel and exchange of goods and information, I think one day the world will likely have one mostly uniform culture anyway.

Personally with the internet and the ease of travel and exchange of goods and information, I think one day the world will likely have one mostly uniform culture anyway.

the internet? its accessible to maybe 25% of the total population of the earth.

But I agree that there are some who go against their culture. but it is far from typical.

But I agree that there are some who go against their culture. but it is far from typical.

Hence the "one day" part of the post.

40% of the world's pop has access to internet (2013), which isn't most the world's pop by any means, but certainly higher than only 25%.

~

I am personally not for restrictive measures legally restricting you to one child. There will always be problems with that. For example, it doesn't stop how many kids you have, just how many you keep. Yes please education, though.

40% of the world's pop has access to internet (2013), which isn't most the world's pop by any means, but certainly higher than only 25%.

~

I am personally not for restrictive measures legally restricting you to one child. There will always be problems with that. For example, it doesn't stop how many kids you have, just how many you keep. Yes please education, though.

I think there's also merit to allowing people to have more kids for higher taxes paid/fees.

This should all go along with better education in general (including sex ed) though.

~

do you have any data backing that up?

(i was going from memory, but that might be outdated, its the internets, stuff changes hourly.)

do you have any data backing that up?

(i was going from memory, but that might be outdated, its the internets, stuff changes hourly.)

To save Socky the effort:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Internet_usage

26% in 2013; 39% in 2014, and rising.

Edited by fuzzbucket

For now. And the internet has only been around for a few decades. And not everyone needs to have access to the internet for it to contribute to cultural globalization.

I wouldn't say it's 'far' from typical considering just how very westernized many non-western countries now are. It did not take a lack of babies for that to happen.

Edited by Syaoransbear

@fuzz: ok - looked at it ... it's about internet penetration ... that one can go up to higher than 100%, I hope you are aware of that.

I, myself, am 3 internet users, due to the virtue of owning a static IP adress, a netbook and a mobile, all with different IPs...

@Syaoran: westernized... well, partially. The underlying morals and values can't keep up with the speed of the internet, leaving a big deal of youths struck in the middle - not their own culture, not the western - and thats a whole set of trouble on its own. It's the same as with some immigrants, just that they never left their country of origin.

Edited by whitebaron

To everyone posting this kind of thing - you were a baby once, and then a toddler.

Nope, I was born old and jaded.

Then again, we were ALL girl embryos once, so if you say to a guy, 'You're acting like a girl!' Maybe because HE WAS ONE ONCE x3 little interesting fact

@fuzz: ok - looked at it ... it's about internet penetration ... that one can go up to higher than 100%, I hope you are aware of that.

I, myself, am 3 internet users, due to the virtue of owning a static IP adress, a netbook and a mobile, all with different IPs...

You are NOT three users. I hope YOU are aware of THAT. The fact that you fit in three categories does not make you three people.

user posted image

Worldwide Internet users    2005  2010  2013*

World population[3]  6.5 billion  6.9 billion  7.1 billion

Not using the Internet  84%  70%  61%

Using the Internet  16%  30%  39%

Users in the developing world  8%  21%  31%

Users in the developed world  51%  67%  77%

* Estimate.

Source: International Telecommunications Union.[4]

Percentage of Individuals using the Internet 2000-2012"

International Telecommunications Union (Geneva), June 2013, retrieved 22 June 2013

Individuals are not connections.

But this is just - words fail me. I can't see how it matters one iota what nationality or "race" the population is made up of. We are all people. Human beings. Do we need to go back to the days of Roman culture, say ? Or cave man culture - just so that something is not eliminated.

Times change. The world changes. So ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

^ wow O.O

Hm, babies are an interesting subject (haha) and I have a 1st cousin now smile.gif But not all the time I see joy in having a baby. Sure, it may be a wondrous time, or I guess I'm just not that age yet >,<

But this is just - words fail me. I can't see how it matters one iota what nationality or "race" the population is made up of. We are all people. Human beings. Do we need to go back to the days of Roman culture, say ? Or cave man culture - just so that something is not eliminated.

Times change. The world changes. So ?

I completely agree. It's not the same but whitebaron's comment reminded me of the white people who are worried about white people losing the 'race war' by not having enough babies and having their race go extinct.

Personally I've never really understood why people hang onto redundant aspects of cultures they no longer practice. Should we go back to sacrificing virgins out of sentimentality?

I completely agree. It's not the same but whitebaron's comment reminded me of the white people who are worried about white people losing the 'race war' by not having enough babies and having their race go extinct.

Personally I've never really understood why people hang onto redundant aspects of cultures they no longer practice. Should we go back to sacrificing virgins out of sentimentality?

Quite. sad.gif

Nope, I was born old and jaded.

People, stop making jokes. This is a serious topic.

I don't think earth's population is that bad. True, China is in bad shape but most of the world is okay. We don't need to limit the number of babies in the world to decrease the population. We might be able to spread out more. If half the people in China moved out of the country, population crisis solved!

Should we go back to sacrificing virgins out of sentimentality?

Well, I like sacrificing virgins. biggrin.gif

@fuzz: noone know how many devices I have, so I highly doubt that estimate is moret than remotely accurate. I also looked at their datasources now. the ITU has over half of the results given due to "ITU estimate"...

@syaoran: As for redundant aspects of society, well I like them very much. Its why you are typically called conservative, anyway. Disrespect that as much as you want, but don't get snarky and pull racist comparisons on me.

oh, and one last edit: who said every anything about race? I SAID CULTURE!

Edited by whitebaron

@syaoran: As for redundant aspects of society, well I like them very much. Its why you are typically called conservative, anyway. Disrespect that as much as you want, but don't get snarky and pull racist comparisons on me.

I was not being snarky.(When is a memory snarky blink.gif ?) And by 'you' you mean general 'you', right?

And I wasn't making a comparison. I even said "It's not the same.". It just reminded me of that.

Humans are humans, it doesn't make sense to me why anyone feels competitive about race or culture. If no one wants to practice a culture I see no problem with it becoming extinct instead of people forcing themselves to practice that culture because their ancestors did it.

When I was in Kenya, several years ago, we visited a number of schools where all the children said it was important to preserve their culture and traditional way of life - and not ONE of them was actually prepared to live that way in order to keep it going.

BTW whitebaron - you did list your devices - though maybe not all of them. Three IP addies does not make you three people.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Well, I like sacrificing virgins. biggrin.gif

Sacrifice them to meeeeee ;D

Us? You said it. There was no us in the equation.

Where did I say us? I don't recall saying that... I know I keep slipping up and accidentally saying "we" instead of "I" in a few places, which is weird and I have no idea why it keeps happening, but IDK what you mean by "us" blink.gif

Anywhales, Ima have to agree with this:

I don't think earth's population is that bad. True, China is in bad shape but most of the world is okay. We don't need to limit the number of babies in the world to decrease the population. We might be able to spread out more. If half the people in China moved out of the country, population crisis solved!

If I recall correctly, and it's been a while since I read about this so I probubbly don't, the thing in China is actually causing problems of it's own with a gender imbalance or something? I can't really remember all that well though, so don't quote me on that

People, stop making jokes. This is a serious topic.

user posted image

Oh sure, let's pull a bunch of space out of nowhere for these people. Where do you intend to put them?