Here is a topic on babies. Human babies.

I hate them so. I mean, I know it's sad. But I can't stand babies and have no plans to have one in the future. Married yes. No babies, though.

Discuss.

It's a tricky subject for me. I don't want children myself and all.

But people only seem to be on two extreme ends when it comes to children. You're either seen as irresponsible/weird for not wanting one, or they really hate them.

I have no patience for either sort of people. Its fine not to like children, but people who think its okay to be a jerk because the existence of children annoys them are silly. They somehow think that children and parents shouldn't exist in public spaces and that babies and their parents should be shut up in the house until they reach a point in maturity when they can "behave."

And my problem with that viewpoint is that, first off, life is short and its ridiculous to expect people to never take babies out to the store or anything. They cry. People need to accept that and not instantly blame the parent for a crying child. Sometimes it takes a little time to calm them down and a responsible parent will try and take the child aside where they'll be less loud.

Even more irking is the idea that there comes a point when a child will be magically mature enough not to throw a tantrum in public. Even teenagers argue with parents in public sometimes. Not to mention the existence of children with disabilities and mental problems that don't allow them to function "normally." I have a brother with autism and he throws fits sometimes. We've been told constantly that we shouldn't take him out in public.

Problem is he will always be like that. That's like saying my parents should never be allowed out of the house and my brother shouldn't have some semblance of a normal life.

So yeah, babies and children exist and people need to learn to be polite about it. They need to learn its not okay to be a jerk about a crying child if the parent is trying their best to calm them. They need to learn that being in public space does not equal the right to not hear a baby cry from time to time. People need to learn its not okay to pressure people to have children merely because they want grandchildren.

People on both sides have lessons to learn and I'm glad when I find people who fall in the middle of the spectrum.

... I feel very strongly about this topic, lol

Edited by Walker

Oh, I'm never like that. I will never go and say to people that I hate babies and your baby is ugly. I always smile and nod my head when they show me pictures of their babes. Even though I hate them.

People who I can't stand are parents who raise their babies wrongly. You can tell that because you see the parents give their children EVERYTHING when they throw tandrums.

I also can't stand breastfeeding in public. That seems to be a new craze because I was always aware of people doing it in their homes. There are people who say "oh, if you don't like seeing a woman breastfeed in public then you should eat at home, in the bathrooms, lalala"

Breastfeeding is not like an adult eats. If you want to feed your baby breastmilk in public, you should milk it into a bottle. Lots of people do that. It's more appropiate for public settings. You don't have to whip out your boob. Peoole SEE you and they don't want to see that.

I'm not sure if I want to get a vasectomy or not. Maybe, JUST maybe I change my mind when i'm older and then what happens?

From what I understand about the breast deeding in public craze it mostly has to do with the fact that breast feeding is natural and even if you pump so you have milk on hand to feed in a bottle it may come at a time where that isn't helpful. Milk or formula has to be heated before given to a baby, and if you are out running errands you may be unable to heat up your babies lunch. If you are dining somewhere or resting in a park I see no reason for a woman to be told she can't breast feed there. Also bottle feeding tends to cause the baby to have more gas and makes it harder for the child to feed from the mother overall.

While I understand not wanting to see a breast just whipped out really you won't notice unles you look straight at them

I understand that. But you're likely to see it as long as you aren't looking at your feet as you're walking past.

And then, if you do stare, they get offended.

EDIT: I just find out that breastmilk does not have to be heated.

Edited by TwilightMoonDragon

I strongly dislike them. I don't find them cute at all, I find them revolting. And that's just when they are quiet. The noise, the pooping, the barfing, the BIRTHING... no thanks. It's hard enough potty training a puppy for just a few weeks/months. A kid you have to wipe their ass for years.

Sometimes I feel the urge to have a kid only because I like my husband a lot and instincts make me think "OMG you are awesome there should be more of you let me have your baby!" But logically I know we absolutely don't want one ever.

And they're really selfish. I hate it when they take one of your belongings and then they don't wanna give it back.

I'm just waiting for an ignorant person to say "WHO DOESN'T LIKE BABIES? EVERYONE LOVES BABIES!"

I think if someone wants a baby and is responsible enough to do a good job with it, they can go for it!

If they don't want one or aren't responsible enough, they should definitely not.

Nobody should ever try to pressure someone into having one, as they are a huge financial drain and huge mental/emotional/physical stress, especially if the person's heart isn't in it.

I personally don't want one but I don't mind other people's if I don't have to put up with them more than an hour.

If you get hugely upset by someone wanting to breastfeed their kid in public... it IS entirely natural to do so, not at all sexual, you can easily look away, and it's not like everywhere you go you see it. Nothing against it here.

I'm just waiting for an ignorant person to say "WHO DOESN'T LIKE BABIES? EVERYONE LOVES BABIES!"

*Warning: I may rant, because I'm in the mood for it. And it might not make sense either*

Finally, someone posted a topic about this!

If there's one thing that irritates me, it's people who don't understand why someone else can't like human babies. Personally, I find them quite repulsive. and I've often been asked to hold them. When I say I don't want to, I'm often asked why, and that ends up in... well, long boring conversations. If I chose to write down all these long, boring conversations, It would probably fill a book. Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean. During my whole life, I've been told stuff like "but you were a baby once, you should like them" and "that's a horrible thing to say". When I was going to take Holy Communion, I was even told by my neighbour that "disliking babies is a terrible sin, you shouldn't even take Communion".

Nowadays, I keep quiet about it, but I try to avoid contact with babies.

Recapping: To me, baby animals are ok, but human babies are most definitely not. In fact, I don't give a ****ing censorkip.gif about the latter. 'Nuff said. And I agree with a lot of things in this thread.

Edited by Hazel360

I love animal babies.

But who said disliking babies is a sin? Never in the bible or religion does it say that.

EVERYONE LOVES BABIES

ALL THE SPECIES! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Ahem, sorry. I had to flood my post with caps lock for lolz. But for real - I'm one of those soft-hearted people who go all "awwww" over tiny humans, puppies, kittens, dolphins, caterpillars... I can't see any difference, all are cute.

It's okay if others don't like them - you can't like everything, after all. d:

But who said disliking babies is a sin? Never in the bible or religion does it say that.

That's exactly what I thought. I was considering questioning the person (I won't mention any names to protect their identity), or even arguing. But no, I stayed quiet.

Ahem, sorry. I had to flood my post with caps lock for lolz. But for real - I'm one of those soft-hearted people who go all "awwww" over tiny humans, puppies, kittens, dolphins, caterpillars... I can't see any difference, all are cute.

It's okay if others don't like them - you can't like everything, after all. d:

Pretty much this.  I like babies, when they aren't mine.

Pretty much this. I like babies, but I would rather they not be mine, I have a really weak stomach and I would rather not have to do diaper changes, or clean up other similar messes.

My brother is married, and I know he and his wife want a child or two when they are ready, and I quite look forward to being an aunt. I just don't want a child of my own.

Edited by Nectaris

I'm at an age where the friends and family are all having babies or talking about having babies. I love them all. My nieces and nephews, my friends' kids, they're all adorable and I can't wait to see what they grow into.

But I don't want any of my own. Just no desire for one of my own.

Pretty much this. I like babies, but I would rather they not be mine, I have a really weak stomach and I would rather not have to do diaper changes, or clean up other similar messes.

My brother is married, and I know he and his wife want a child or two when they are ready, and I quite look forward to being an aunt. I just don't want a child of my own.

Pretty much this. And, I also have no idea what to do with them. Kids from the age four and up are fun, and if I ever decide to have one, I'll probably adopt a kid from that age forward.

I rarely think babies are cute. I think a lot of them are really ugly.

I'd like a child someday but I'm soooo not ready for one now.

I don't mind breastfeeding in public. Honestly it's ridiculous that we even have problems with sexual intercourse, okay. A breast isn't hurting anybody. The baby is in the way and most women tend to be overly courteous and use a blanket or something to cover themselves, though they really shouldn't need to.

As for telling someone to only use bottles in public, it may not be as bad as telling them to only breastfeed at home or in a bathroom, but that is still extremely rude. It's their child. Don't tell them how to run their lives and raise it.

I really don't like when parents don't discipline their children for causing a ruckus in public, though. I believe you really need to teach your child how to conduct themselves in public as early as possible, otherwise it could lead to many problems later in life.

I feel kind of bad for those whose children have mental problems. I admire them for doing all they can, though. I know it's really hard, so good for anyone who's doing it. c: It's especially hard when people tell you to leave the kid at home...I don't even like that schools tend to keep the kids secluded as much as possible from the rest of the students. I guess it can keep them from being bullied, but if you keep them separate, it implies there's "something wrong with them" which doesn't really help much.

Breastfeeding in public? NEW? Where have you been for the last 50 years? When the hippies were busy opening ALL the closet doors in the late sixties, early seventies, breastfeeding in public became acceptable, at least around here. It was rarely done with a "see-what-I'm-doing" flourish, rather with a scarf, a poncho or a large blouse where the baby could nurse in a little tent of sorts, and mom could continue her conversations, meal, whatever, without showing off to the world. Doesn't bother me, although I never did it when my child was little in the eighties.

As for no kids, no big! My sister made that decision permanent when she was 21, and I don't think she has ever regretted it, 30+ years later. She has no patience for them, and did not want to put herself or a child through that. She's been a very good aunt to my child, by the way.

I love kids, but not everyone does, and knowing your own limits is the healthiest way for all involved.

Pretty much this. And, I also have no idea what to do with them. Kids from the age four and up are fun, and if I ever decide to have one, I'll probably adopt a kid from that age forward.

That's exactly how I think of it. Plus, the idea of pregnancy horrifies me.

I've known for a long time that I don't want children and years have only strengthened that resolve. Everything about pregnancy, childbirth and caring for a suckling is super-scary and awful when I think of that happening to me. Also, I think that babies in their first months of life are scary, what with how they're unable to focus their eyes. D:

I really dislike babies but I love toddlers!

This I can understand. I think my little cousins, aged 2 and 5, are adorable, but that doesn't mean that I want any babies of my own.

Edited by lightbird

That's exactly how I think of it. Plus, the idea of pregnancy horrifies me.

Ugh. Something messing with my body for nine months is terrifying. Nope. That's one part of life that I'll live without, thankyouverymuch.

Newborn babies remind me of Winston Churchill. That is, they are not cute at all.

I love children. My wife? Puts even me to shame. She literally daydreamed about morning sickness, dreamy voice and all.

As far as breastfeeding, my culture pretty much demands it. I did try to do it in private as much as possible, but that's not always an option, and there is no way I am feeding a baby in a restroom. It is so ritually unclean that it isn't even funny -- and not just ritually, but actually sometimes! I wouldn't even feed a baby in my bathroom.

I love children. My wife? Puts even me to shame. She literally daydreamed about morning sickness, dreamy voice and all.

Bahahaha, I don't know whether this is cute or scary.

~

It's very frustrating that people aren't being allowed to breastfeed in public, especially since it's legal most places in the US. =\

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoen...-mcdonald's

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Michian...-205339901.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/mom-kicked...r-breastfeeding

It's not that hard to not look if you're offended by a nipple. And having been around a few people who breastfeed, you really don't see all that much. The baby is feeding. It's not like the breastfeeder is doing a strip dance in front of you while you eat. And in public, a lot of people will do things like bring a blanket to cover themselves and the baby while the baby feeds. People with babies need to go out, too, and that means that their breastfeeding baby is going to need fed at some point. I don't see why they shouldn't be able to breastfeed it when the time comes.

Breastfeeding shaming is ridiculous and needs to stop. There is absolutely no excuse for trying to shame or ban it (kind of like homosexuality, hehe).

Don't wanna see a boob? Don't look at it. It's not like the breastfeeder is trying to feed YOU or YOUR family. Sheesh.