TJ09

2013-12-06 - Dragon Cave on Facebook!

Just joined the page and invited a friend along, too! Very exciting! I've been waiting since '09 for one xd.png

Digital Decay said: "Beautiful artwork indeed! smile.gif

May I say that I hope, though, that there won't be too much "Facebook exclusive" stuff in the future? I don't want a Facebook account because of privacy issues and it would be sad to miss all the fun stuff because I'm not registered on a third-party website."

I agree. I don't like to use FB because of privacy issues, and would hate to miss out.

I never understand the privacy issue statement. You have complete control of what info you decide to put on there (several things I refuse to give like phone number or my address). Complete control over who sees what .. whether you allow everyone to see it, only your friends or even only select few friends. Mind you the UI is not easy to understand and set up, not counting once you finally do figure it out, they seem to always change everything.

Anyway, back on topic .. that is great artwork and I will get around to liking the page soon.

I never understand the privacy issue statement. You have complete control of what info you decide to put on there (several things I refuse to give like phone number or my address). Complete control over who sees what .. whether you allow everyone to see it, only your friends or even only select few friends. Mind you the UI is not easy to understand and set up, not counting once you finally do figure it out, they seem to always change everything.

Anyway, back on topic .. that is great artwork and I will get around to liking the page soon.

Actually Facebook is quite a bit more invasive than that. It tracks what you do on other websites, even if you don't even have Facebook open, so it can completely tailor the ads to what you might be interested in. It's why I never go on any website without having the DoNotTrackMe add-on (chrome) on; in a day it easily blocks 1000 tracking attempts by Facebook. So I completely understand anyone who doesn't want to make a Facebook account!

My main issue with Facebook is that anything you post or share on there, you are giving Facebook permission to use without asking you. That and all the tracking cookies they throw at you and constant attempts to get ever more of your private information lol

But oh well! I'll just keep coming to the forums for announcements, and hope nothing too exclusive is released on Facebook only =)

Actually Facebook is quite a bit more invasive than that. It tracks what you do on other websites, even if you don't even have Facebook open, so it can completely tailor the ads to what you might be interested in. It's why I never go on any website without having the DoNotTrackMe add-on (chrome) on; in a day it easily blocks 1000 tracking attempts by Facebook. So I completely understand anyone who doesn't want to make a Facebook account!

Well, yes, this is pretty much how ads work these days. They're "interest-based". Google gives you interest based ads based on your browsing history, based on what google ads you click on, and how many times you visit websites that are in google's display network. If you've filled out an account and chosen interests and such, that will also affect the ads you get. Fb does the same thing - ads are tailored to your interests, profile information, and such. In the same sense that google has built up a network, so has fb. So when you visit certain sites, it may send info back to fb or google or whoever. (And actually google and other advertisers had people angry with them because they had found a way to get around do-not-track addons and apps people were using, which is why they added the extension to chrome, I believe.)

I am not calling this right - the fact that advertisers call it targeting to avoid calling it what it is (stalking) is telling - but fb is hardly the only one doing it.

Fb can be and is invasive in other ways, too, though, yes. Downfall of how the US works combined with the fact that it's a large site ever trying to get larger. But, as I've been saying, I really don't think non-fb and non-twitter users are missing out on much. Twitter rarely sees action except for announcing news threads posts here or if someone has some question that needs answered or something, so I would think fb will go along the same lines. I'm sure there are some that mind that there have been/will be a few egg giveaways, but when you look at the sheer magnitude of gifting that goes on within the forum, I really don't think forum-only folks are missing anything at all. Heck, I've known about the twitter, but am rarely on twitter, so anything there I've "missed" but there's so much more on the forum due to the community that I don't even give it a second thought. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I have to say, Hawkster was referencing something completely different. He was talking about keeping your personal information away from any prying eyes (strange people you don't know, or just the random person on your friends list who you like, but you just don't want calling you. tongue.gif ) What you are referencing is a different issue, and as SPS says, Facebook isn't the only one doing it. This is what comes of using the internet in general.

And just to add in something. If you are over 18 and living in the U.S., go to the website Spokeo and look yourself up. I had to request to have information removed, such as a few previous addresses and phone numbers, which are accessible to anyone who pays for a subscription on that site. Look yourself up by name, phone number, email and you will likely find some information on you, some of it being information that did not come from Facebook. I had an address on there that I moved out of before I even started using Facebook.

I have that some plugin. Also Ghostery does the same think as well so there's also that option

This - and also - as of recently, anything you post in a group you have joined is immediately visible to all your friends - and that is one thing you CANNOT turn off.

From another forum:

On facebook, if you post in an open group, then your friends can see on their activity stream that you have posted something in that group, and even read that post.

Is there a way of turning off that activity stream? Or should I just be careful what I post in open/closed groups?

if a group is open, everyone can see your activity and every post in the group that includes likes as well as comments and also can see you are a member. Only secret groups and closed don't show that!

Also something to be really careful about is that Facebook have started offering "suggested groups" and this means that your friends will sometimes see the groups you are a member of. This is any group apart from "secret" groups.

This has implications if you are LGBT for example and don't want some people to know on your FB. Groups is something to really watch with privacy, it outed a friend of mine's husband as transgender to high school friends he didn't want to know

If you don't want any of your friends to see your group activity, remove them from your FB or don't join the group. That is my personal policy now because you can't hide or select who can see what goes on

Also, any open groups you've joined show up on your public profile (the literally public one that anyone who knows the link or your name can see) and I have not found a way to turn it off.
(this can actually be turned off, I gather, but only if you know they are showing and you need to do something !

So.... UGH.

Ads aren't a problem for me; I use noscript, ghostery and a blocker. but THIS...

Woow! Now that's some art! o.o I can't stop looking at it! It's so amazing, also I'm glad to see DC on FB now biggrin.gif now I can stalk even better!

This - and also - as of recently, anything you post in a group you have joined is immediately visible to all your friends - and that is one thing you CANNOT turn off.

From another forum:

(this can actually be turned off, I gather, but only if you know they are showing and you need to do something !

So.... UGH.

Ads aren't a problem for me; I use noscript, ghostery and a blocker. but THIS...

Open Facebook groups are public spaces, just like a forum.

You don't expect for your friends to be unable to see your posts on here, do you?

Off to give it a "like." I don't use Facebook very often, but I try to like pages and groups that I enjoy. And as mentioned many times - gorgeous artwork. It's really beautiful!

Open Facebook groups are public spaces, just like a forum.

You don't expect for your friends to be unable to see your posts on here, do you?

No, but I don't expect all the posts I make here to be visible to everyone I know on other forums, either. The unwanted transgender outing was a fairly nasty thing, for instance.

I know how "open" FB is. That's why I don't go. This forum is closed within itself.

Nice page and sweet art! biggrin.gif

[unfortunately I deleted my FB account and am not going to get another one. The fact that I have to take care of my settings like crazy is too bothersome to me. And to be frank with you, I don't need and want to stay in touch with people I don't particularly care about anyway. If I want to tell my family or friends back in my home country that I ate tasty Katsudon I'll tell them when we talk on the phone or I can write an email rolleyes.gif ]

Edited by Mondat

No, but I do expect my family to not see them. Because they'd never know where, or how to look. And given my schizo-bipolar mess of a crew, I keep it that way very deliberately. If the mods had any idea they'd send me chocolates as thank yous.

Good for DC! Alas I have been plotting to go get my pics off fb and destroy my page but if I had a site I'd leave no stone unturned to get people active smile.gif

Oh wow... I wish I could draw as well as something like that...

Too bad Facebook is blocked in China and I don't have VPN sad.gif

Edited by SoiledLove

For those who want to learn to draw, a great book used in college is called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. There was a 60+year old lady who learned to draw in one semester =)

For those who want to learn to draw, a great book used in college is called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. There was a 60+year old lady who learned to draw in one semester =)

Sweet! I draw, without tracing, but it's limited to cartoons, like Disney, Looney Tunes, etc. Real people I cannot seem to do. In fact, some Disney Princesses' faces I've tried and they look like they were hit by a bus. blink.gif