TJ09

2013-12-06 - Dragon Cave on Facebook!

I doubt FB is going to ruin our community here guys =D

This is to spread awareness of the game to people who might like to come and play too.

Anyone else want to see that picture as a theme on the forums?

Memememememememememe!!!

I loved to see it as a theme.

Edited by rubyshoes

I've been a member of one of the UNofficial DC-fan-pages on Facebook forever now, so I totally jumped up and down when I saw this. Official!! Official Facebook page!! Omg!!

I admit, I'm a total Facebook junkie (just groups/pages tho, no games, my computer won't take it) so this is just AWESOME!!

And that picture?! Daaaaang Nakase it's beautiful!

Amazing cover art!

That's about all I can say... cos it's really amazing. biggrin.gif

This is to spread awareness of the game to people who might like to come and play too.

Memememememememememe!!!

Absolutely I would love to see it as a theme on here! Have most of the forum be gray in color, maybe some gold or blue mixed in for different things like board titles and the like!

You guys don't have to signup for FB to see the posts. Just click the DC FB link in the first post, and you can see everything. It is a public page, so no sign-up required.

Exactly, thank you for making this point. Just like no signup is required to see DC's tweets, no signup is required to view the page on Facebook. No offense, but it seems like people are getting just a tad worked up about their "privacy" when this won't even affect it. This isn't the apocalypse, folks. Take it easy.

Have you ANY idea how many flash cookies and other crap facebook drops on your machine ? Whenever I kindly allow my beloved on here and he goes to his FB page, when I close the browser afterwards, my add-on that removes these things - which generally has ONE flash cookie (comes from amazon) comes up with 16 or more. It also gave him some malware once (not sure how; I just had the joy of removing it for him !)

FB constantly MINES for new ways to drop this stuff.

I use Facebook regularly, and have for quite a long time. No malware/spyware gunk from there on my computer, and I keep my computer up to date and regularly checked. While you may be having an issue, doesn't mean other people are. I don't think that it is "evil" persay, but the way some things are run are quite ridiculous. But that's the case with pretty much any website you join.

Edited by xXAngelicEvilXx

Memememememememememe!!!

If it's possible, yes! What an intensely beautiful theme it would be. o3o

Memememememememememe!!!

I would absolutely love to see this as a theme!

Yes I realise that, no worries wub.gif

And I was just saying that yes, it's a public page, but even GOING to it is likely to fill your machine with flash cookies and stuff.

Facebook is EVIL, IMHO, and getting more so by the day. xd.png

This.

Congratulations and continued success to those who have avoided the spam, cookies, malware and other real problems associated with viewing (not signing up for) FB pages. Please do not belittle those who have experienced these adverse consequences or dismiss the real, negative impact possible with FB contact. Consider it a prudent, kindly warning you are welcome to consider or ignore.

In a world where everyone from the local hamburger joint to your plumber seems to need a FB page to succeed in business, it is an unfortunate, but inevitable DC would would join FB flow.

I too hope the use of FB and Twitter will not create a disadvantage for those who choose to avoid or not have the extra time for those social media venues.

Thank you, TJ, for posting an image of the page here. Nakase's art is beautiful. smile.gif

Edited by lilbird

Fruity oaty bar*heart*

It was loads of fun, and yet the rocks were harder then granite to render. I really hope to see the picture used in many places, to bring more people into the fold of DC!!*chuckles*Silly pictures of a DC mafia in my head =P

I've been learning some about marketing lately. I'm not all that good at it, but marketing is needed to find work when art is becoming a livelihood. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and other social sites are ways to be your own agent. The world is large, and I can only reach so far. Luka's song comes to mind. By using the internet and it's resources to find others like you, or even to find work, sounds like a legit reason for those social sites. Not all social sites work the same, like instagram,versus pinterest. There are reasons for and against all these sites, including DragonCave itself.

Perhaps our time here would be more beneficial to propose more new things to also implement, rather then bashing a particular website? The heart of the matter, is DC is growing, and how to grow the number of players here. =)

I'm still not into Facebook at all (I have Tumblr and it's enough)... but hnng that art. It's beautiful<3

Well, since TJ works for Facebook, wouldn't it make sense for DC to have an official Facebook page?

This was a good idea, but I spent too much time gawking at Nakase's artwork. You should really put a warning label on that thing.

Beautiful artwork indeed! smile.gif

May I say that I hope, though, that there won't be too much "Facebook exclusive" stuff in the future? I don't want a Facebook account because of privacy issues and it would be sad to miss all the fun stuff because I'm not registered on a third-party website.

Ditto on both these points....

whoops, i was just on fb telling myself to check it out and forgot about it; thanks grandma for distracting me w/ that +1 hour call uwu.

This.

Congratulations and continued success to those who have avoided the spam, cookies, malware and other real problems associated with viewing (not signing up for) FB pages. Please do not belittle those who have experienced these adverse consequences or dismiss the real, negative impact possible with FB contact. Consider it a prudent, kindly warning you are welcome to consider or ignore.

In a world where everyone from the local hamburger joint to your plumber seems to need a FB page to succeed in business, it is an unfortunate, but inevitable DC would would join FB flow.

I too hope the use of FB and Twitter will not create a disadvantage for those who choose to avoid or not have the extra time for those social media venues.

Thank you, TJ, for posting an image of the page here. Nakase's art is beautiful. smile.gif

Not belittling or dismissing, and if that was directed at me, I see nowhere in my previous postings where I even remotely sounded like that. Just noting that I have experienced no issues, and have not when I'm not signed in. (I typically use Chrome), but sometimes I'll use another browser, and I have not signed in on that browser, and still experience nothing. I simply stated that it does not necessarily ring true for every single person. Just like it doesn't ring true to state that not everyone doesn't have an issue.

At the same rate, it still doesn't change the fact that DC still has Twitter, so anything announced here, would be announced on their new FB page, as well as Twitter, so this still should not be much of an issue for people. You still have another social media outlet to look at if FB is not your cup o' tea. As far as I've seen, on Twitter they gave away some of the new release eggs via teleport. Not exclusive. Just a tad extra help for those who were having trouble catching. I imagine FB will be the same way, and will link teleports. Not a absolutely huge exclusivity there.

I can see why people do not want to join or visit the site, but I do not see why anyone needs to be upset either. Nobody is forcing anyone's arm to join Facebook or even go to it, just like nobody forced anyone to go to Twitter. I don't understand the hoopla. It's extra "publicity" for DC, with the possibility of extra new release teleports, just like on Twitter. TJ has continued to keep this website free, and as such, I highly doubt he would force anyone to join a site to get some "exclusive" dragon. It's been shown over the time of this site being in existence that he actually cares about the users here. He didn't do it on Twitter, so I doubt he'd do it on Facebook. Therefore, needing to be upset about something that will have slim to no affect seems like a waste of stress and energy. That's my opinion, and won't discuss it any further, as there's no point in arguing about something like this.

Congrats again on the new social media venture, and I'm looking forward to Christmas! And I definitely look forward to a possible announcement in the future regarding a new forum theme (possibly even a new theme for the Cave itself? *hint hint*) with art from Nakase. smile.gif

And I don't really see a whole lot of "hoopla" either. Just people expressing the hope that by choosing NOT to have a FB presence they do not miss out on any exclusives. That was my only concern, as TJ's post made it sound like there might be such things. I think it is probably a great thing for DC to be out there on Facebook and I have no problem with that. It is a very popular site and will undoubtedly give TJ more exposure for the game.

xXAngelicEvilXx, I did not quote your comments because I was not addressing them. Nothing I said was directed at you. I apologize if you perceived them as a personal attack. That was certainly not the intent.

I merely wish to express a show of solidarity for the choice of not falling in with various social media sites and the hope, as purple haze has mentioned, that those "choosing NOT to have a FB presence do not miss out on any exclusives."

No problem, that's why I said 'if'. Purple said they felt like they didn't see a lot of hoopla, but I didn't see any belittling from anywhere either.

And while I see the concern it might cause, if it's anything like Twitter, I don't see there being any issues. Skimming the twitter feed on DC's page, as I said, just shows some teleport links to eggies from the new release, I believe as the release was occurring. Nothing really exclusive, just helpful for those who might need help catching. That's all I saw. Nothing extra or special, the same news announcements and the like.

I don't think there is much cause for worry. Besides, if that were to happen, and special exclusives offered, I think there are enough voices here that could give TJ pause to change his mind. But, at the same time, it is his site. I use FB but I don't use Twitter all that much. Very rarely. So I don't see much with regards to DC on Twitter, and it didn't bother me when it was launched on Twitter. I keep an eye on everything here. Having DC on Facebook will be easier for me in the sense that when I'm not at home, any announcements regarding DC I will see quicker on FB mobile, then having to use safari to come to the forums and log in. I'm not logged into DC or the forums on my phone. Just like those who use Twitter but not FB still get the updates.

As I said, I don't think anything extraordinary with regards to these "exclusives" will happen. Announcements of course, maybe some extra teleport links of new release eggs to help those who can't seem to catch them in the cave, well wishes during holidays, etc.

I'm very glad that DC's getting more publicity - Nakase's art ought to help stir up some interest - and it's probably coincidental that I had a lot of very weird problems getting into FF today and actually couldn't get on normally, while when I did, initially I couldn't get on any pages either and just got extra pages for a while, until suddenly it worked and I could finally unFog my dragons, lol.

But if anyone else did have any such issues, I'd appreciate it if they'd drop me a note, especially if they know of any particular virus or whatever, and how they dealt with it, because I have no idea, lol.

(I hate Window's 8 and am afraid the 8.1 might be even worse, lol.)

Great! I'm glad DC is getting more publicity. That art is stunning <3

But I don't have a FB account, and I don't want one...

I love the banner. I'm assuming that's a gold dragon watch the entrance in the mountain zone. I wonder about banners for the other biomes.

I love the banner. I'm assuming that's a gold dragon watch the entrance in the mountain zone. I wonder about banners for the other biomes.

I like that idea also. Perhaps a different dragon keeping watch in a different biome. Dunno how long it would take Nakase, or if she is up for it, but would definitely love to see that!